inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: YouTube comments nostalgia for "old" songs

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/23/17 at 11:06 pm

Anyone else notice than on YouTube comments, it's full of 14 year olds who think late 2000s/early 2010s songs like Party Rock Anthem, I Gotta Feeling, Firework, Teenage Dream, Fireflies, etc. are "sooo retro and nostalgic omg?"

That's kind of surprising to me, because I VERY distinctly remember a time when it was cool to bash those songs. And 2008/2009 hardly feels retro to me; sure politics are different, but on the surface, the last 10 years feels pretty much the same to me. We still have smartphones, social media, similar style of music, HDTV, etc.

Subject: Re: YouTube comments nostalgia for "old" songs

Written By: 2001 on 09/23/17 at 11:24 pm

There are a lot of children on the YouTube comments who weren't even born when Lady Gaga came out with Just Dance. I don't really pay attention to the comments anymore.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/24/17 at 1:23 am

I have never read comments on YouTube, should I start?

Written By: Howard on 09/24/17 at 7:37 am

I do, occasionally.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/25/17 at 2:23 pm

I find that the older you go, the more provocative the comments tend to be, with 1950s/60s/70s songs tending to just have warm nostalgic comments or the "I wish I was born then" or "imagine", along with even some info about the artist if they are a fan of them. The '80s and '90s are a mixture of that and more shorthand "i love this song" or "80s were the best" along with what Zelek3 described about the late '00s/early '10s. The thing is, you have to be at least fully out of college to appreciate the late '90s, but there are always those on the periphery or immature due to growing up with tech. Still, I notice that compared to the early days of YouTube in the late 2000s, the comments for the late '80s/'90s have gotten quite a bit more mellower in scope.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/22/18 at 8:34 pm

I think one of the main reasons why they call those songs "Old" is because a lot of songs from the late 2000's / early 2010's sound drastically different from today. It doesn't always have to be a decade old or something for the song to be considered "old" sometimes. 2009-2012, in terms of music, sound very dated to me, which might explain why teens and early 20's are mostly nostalgic for it.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/22/18 at 8:40 pm

Most people on the YouTube comments seem to be idiots, unfortunately.

There are very few people who have constructive and thoughtful things to say on there.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/22/18 at 8:54 pm

I've been saying this for the longest Zelek. It is weird but not surprising anymore. I've seen comments like "2008-2009 was the best era in the music industry." I'm just like...nahhh. But people cherish the music of their childhoods. There are people who feel the same way about music from my childhood so whatever.

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/22/18 at 8:58 pm

No, you'll regret it!

Check for new replies or respond here...