inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Latest year that feels dated to you?

Written By: Rainbowz on 10/11/17 at 8:04 am

2012 is probably the last year that feels decently different from today IMO. When I listen to songs from 2012 I could just see how it would sound out of place if they were released in 2017. When I listen to songs from 2013, some would sound a bit out of place but most of them would still fit with today. I also think 2012 was the last 100% Y year and as of 2017 we are probably 100% Z right now or extremely close to it

Subject: Re: Latest year that feels dated to you?

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/11/17 at 8:13 am

2012 is probably the last year that feels decently different from today IMO. When I listen to songs from 2012 I could just see how it would sound out of place if they were released in 2017. When I listen to songs from 2013, some would sound a bit out of place but most of them would still fit with today. I also think 2012 was the last 100% Y year and as of 2017 we are probably 100% Z right now or extremely close to it

I agree. It was interesting being in High School during that time. I started in Early 2012, which was undeniably Millennial and the oldest students were born in 1994. Now I've graduated from High School, at a time when the culture is almost entirely Gen Z and the youngest students were born in 2004.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/11/17 at 8:26 am

2012 is the most recent year that truly feels separated from the world of today. It doesn't feel like hashtags, Netflix, social justice culture, alt-right debauchery, intense global pessimism, or trap beats ruled everything at that time, plus 2010s fashion hadn't quite established its identity yet. 7th-gen gaming consoles were still current, gay marriage still had to be heavily debated and fought for in America, almost every hit song was an uptempo club anthem, and YouTube was at the pinnacle of its cultural impact with Gangnam Style and Election 2012 coverage. This year may have already had all the basic technological functions of the world today, but the mindset seemed more attuned to the few years preceding it rather than those that followed.

Written By: Escondudo on 10/11/17 at 1:17 pm

Agreed. Is this a world record for the shortest thread? lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/11/17 at 2:54 pm

Agreed. Is this a world record for the shortest thread? lol
I've seen shorter.  ;D

Written By: Lizardmatum on 10/11/17 at 3:29 pm

Hate to sound like a broken record but yeah it's gotta be 2012. Last year that's out of touch with today in terms of atmosphere. 2012 was upbeat and flashy (in terms of music and atmosphere I mean) a very different atmosphere to today. But late 2012 I think it was headed towards the mid 2010's

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/11/17 at 3:35 pm

The latest year that I feel is easily dated would have to be 2011.

2013 still feels somewhat connected to today, and then 2012 is somewhere in the middle, in terms of feeling disconnected or dated in comparison to today. :P

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/11/17 at 3:41 pm

I agree. It was interesting being in High School during that time. I started in Early 2012, which was undeniably Millennial and the oldest students were born in 1994. Now I've graduated from High School, at a time when the culture is almost entirely Gen Z and the youngest students were born in 2004.

IKR, thinking back to my first year at High School and then comparing it to this year, it's crazy to see how much has changed in the past 6 years. It really did feel different at High School back then, now it just feels like a whole lot of early/mid 2000s babies everywhere and MEMES, that pretty much sums up High School in 2017 8-P.

Written By: John Titor on 10/11/17 at 4:05 pm

Late 2008

Written By: John Titor on 10/11/17 at 4:08 pm

2013 still feels somewhat connected to today, and then 2012 is somewhere in the middle, in terms of feeling disconnected or dated in comparison to today. :P

I would say 2008 2010 or 2011

But even then 2010 still feels recent despite having a VASTLY different vibe

Written By: bchris02 on 10/11/17 at 10:57 pm

I would agree with this completely.  2012 is definitely in the middle as we definitely felt like we were in a new decade at that point yet the decade's culture had not quite established its identity.  2013 was the year that it seemed like core '10s culture really established itself.  Though 2013 still has some holdovers from the 2009-2011 era, for the most part the year seems connected to today.

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/12/17 at 1:21 am

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/12/17 at 1:28 am

Before the Late 2006 shift?

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/12/17 at 1:36 am

Don't start with that. :P

Written By: Brian06 on 10/12/17 at 1:10 pm

Yeah it depends on how dated you're talking. I would probably say 2011 if you're talking a good amount different than today. 2012 might be more borderline really, it's fairly different but it still seems quite a bit less old than 2011 does to me. 2013-2014 is maybe like slightly dated in some ways, but yeah it's not that significant of a difference at all.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/13/17 at 12:28 am

Yeah it depends on how dated you're talking. I would probably say 2011 if you're talking a good amount different than today. 2012 might be more borderline really, it's fairly different but it still seems quite a bit less old than 2011 does to me. 2013-2014 is maybe like slightly dated in some ways, but yeah it's not that significant of a difference at all.

Trump, his buffoonery, and the threat of nuclear war is making the Obama mid '10s seem relatively quiet and tame in comparison and its already starting to feel like another era.  That says something because one of my big complaints about those years was the rising social tensions, culture wars, and worsening race relations.  I wasn't a big fan of the mid '10s, but I don't see how this doesn't get much, much worse before it gets better.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/13/17 at 12:51 am

Trump, his buffoonery, and the threat of nuclear war is making the Obama mid '10s seem relatively quiet and tame in comparison and its already starting to feel like another era.  That says something because one of my big complaints about those years was the rising social tensions, culture wars, and worsening race relations.  I wasn't a big fan of the mid '10s, but I don't see how this doesn't get much, much worse before it gets better.

Yeah this is essentially what happens with most eras. Some important event happens (i.e. Trump elected) and then the few years before that event all of sudden start seeming a little more innocent and different than right now. Now it’s not that Trump changes everything about culture but it’s a significant event and anything before that does have a feel that seems somewhat different now simply for being pre-Trump. That means as ridiculous as it seems I now think 2014 was noticeably a bit better than today overall.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/13/17 at 1:46 am

Yeah I agree. Like I said, it definetly felt like we were in a new decade by 2012 unlike 2011, but many things still hadn't established themselves yet

Check for new replies or respond here...