inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Good Songs by Ordinary Bands/Artists

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/11/17 at 10:04 pm

I know that this thread is entirely subjective, but what are songs that you like from bands/artists you're not particularly fond of? Here are a couple of my examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8xpx5RMoZc

Song: "She Hates Me"
Artist: Puddle of Mudd
Released: 2002

Puddle of Mudd were quite popular back in the Early-Mid 2000s, however they are pretty much like a "poor man's" Nirvana. :P It's clear that the singer is trying to base his vocals off of Kurt Cobain's. The band have even covered several Nirvana songs, such as "Come As You Are" and "All Apologies". Also, the guitar riff is directly stolen from Suicidal Tendecies' song, "I Saw Your Mommy". Puddle of Mudd don't really have much credibility, especially considering the fact that they were signed by Fred Durst! Despite this, I actually do like the song above and admittedly, I think it's one of the best songs released in 2002!

"She Hates Me" was quite a success on many charts around the world. In the US, it peaked at #13 on the Billboard Hot 100 and topped the Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. The song also peaked at #9 on the Australian ARIA chart, #14 on the UK Singles chart and #20 on the German Singles chart. Interestingly enough, the song only peaked at #49 in New Zealand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBBqjGd3fHQ

Song: "My Own Prison"
Band: Assassin's Creed
Released: 1997

I'm not exactly a big fan of Creed, although I do like a few of their singles, particularly this one. I personally think that this was the best song the band ever released.

Subject: Re: Good Songs by Ordinary Bands/Artists

Written By: #Infinity on 10/13/17 at 1:12 pm

I have never been a Pink fan. I think she’s one of the most tasteless, middle of the road singers in pop history, and it astounds me she’s still scoring such massive hits in 2017, nearly two decades since she first became famous. The only real asset she has ever had to me is that, like Annie Lennox, she shatters heterosexual stereotypes, although from I hear, she has experimented a bit with other women before.

However, I am smitten by her second hit single, “Most Girls,” which has an absolutely infectious chorus and great production, very much affirming how wonderful the year 2000 was for music. Actually, I would say most of her early 2000s output wasn’t too bad, but “Most Girls” is the one that truly towers over all her other work.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UWJ_P-TdEJ0

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/14/17 at 11:52 pm

I have never been a Pink fan. I think she’s one of the most tasteless, middle of the road singers in pop history, and it astounds me she’s still scoring such massive hits in 2017, nearly two decades since she first became famous. The only real asset she has ever had to me is that, like Annie Lennox, she shatters heterosexual stereotypes, although from I hear, she has experimented a bit with other women before.

I think it's because a lot of people connect and identify with her public persona, especially in an era where pop stars generally don't carve a name for themselves or 'bend the rules'. That's why a lot of people hold her in such a high regard. She has a more "authentic" image and that's partly the reason why she has continued to perform well on the charts.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/15/17 at 12:08 am

I think it's because a lot of people connect and identify with her public persona, especially in an era where pop stars generally don't carve a name for themselves or 'bend the rules'. That's why a lot of people hold her in such a high regard. She has a more "authentic" image and that's partly the reason why she has continued to perform well on the charts.

I really don't see what in her is so authentic going beyond her sense of fashion. Her music itself is mostly derivative of other popular musicians, just not as inspired or memorable.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/15/17 at 12:19 am

I really don't see what in her is so authentic going beyond her sense of fashion. Her music itself is mostly derivative of other popular musicians, just not as inspired or memorable.

It's because a lot of other pop stars appear "superficial" and "fake". P!nk has an image that she has "concurred the odds" and remains true to herself. That's why people like her. This isn't my own personal opinion, but an explanation on why she has continued to be successful and remain relevant in 2017.

Written By: #Infinity on 10/15/17 at 12:33 am

It's because a lot of other pop stars appear "superficial" and "fake". P!nk has an image that she has "concurred the odds" and remains true to herself. That's why people like her. This isn't my own personal opinion, but an explanation on why she has continued to be successful and remain relevant in 2017.

Well, Madonna and Mariah Carey were both commercially relevant for roughly a quarter century, respectively, and both of them were conventionally glamourous pop stars.

Pink's ability to hang on for this long is more in line with Coldplay and Train, both of which also became famous around the year 2000. Like Pink, they sort of just got lucky and successfully adapted to current trends while retaining their general conventionality.

Written By: NewMedalz on 10/15/17 at 4:06 am

These guys basically never did anything else worth listening to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HI_xFQWiYU

nor did these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XJxFAoiWSY

both are terrific one-hit wonders, though.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 10/15/17 at 5:25 am

Well, Madonna and Mariah Carey were both commercially relevant for roughly a quarter century, respectively, and both of them were conventionally glamourous pop stars.

Pink's ability to hang on for this long is more in line with Coldplay and Train, both of which also became famous around the year 2000. Like Pink, they sort of just got lucky and successfully adapted to current trends while retaining their general conventionality.

I tend to agree, however you also need to take into account the context of the time. Madonna and Mariah Carey may have been "products" of record companies, but their success was purely due to their natural talent and ability to project themselves into the pop culture of the time. Modern artists like Ariana Grande and Hailee Steinfeld are quite simply, "products" of record companies and nothing else. They have no natural talent or individual public images.

Record companies use them to simply earn money in what is otherwise a dying industry, due to streaming and illegal downloading. There's a reason why they are so reliant on electronica and it's purely the reason why trap and EDM over-saturate the charts to the extent they do. The majority of artists on the Top-40 charts have little to no natural talent and they are simply "cash cows" for the record companies. EDM and trap songs are easy to produce, that's why the record companies insist on supporting these 'artists' instead of underground and indie bands. This mostly wasn't the case in the Mid-Late 20th Century.

That's why Pink has been able to remain popular with the public. She is a stark contrast to the generic, bland and lifeless pop stars who dominate the mainstream music industry now. Although, to be fair, I think a key reason for Pink and Coldplay's longevity in the mainstream, is due to the record companies wanting to milk as much out of them as possible. Coupled with the fact that radio stations are reluctant to play "unknown" artists and their already existing public images, and you have the perfect recipe for success.

Check for new replies or respond here...