inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Wikipedia inaccurate when it comes to the history of music?

Written By: Zelek3 on 10/21/17 at 3:36 pm

Wikipedia says New Wave music died in the mid 80s, even though there were still New Wave songs hitting the charts until the early 90s.

Wikipedia also says yacht rock didn't exist until 1975, even though earlier 70s bands like Steely Dan and Looking Glass already had a very "yacht rock" feel to them.

Subject: Re: Is Wikipedia inaccurate when it comes to the history of music?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 10/21/17 at 3:54 pm

I question this term "yacht rock". I'm not sure it's really a thing. It's like the semi-facetious term "dad rock". And even if it is a thing, it certainly wasn't a thing back then.  For example, one would never see an article back then that said "yacht rock band Steely Dan has a new album coming out next month". It just didn't exist. But that's the problem with labels. Even heavy metal wasn't "heavy metal" as early as you might think it was. Throughout the 70s, the term "heavy metal" or "metal" was used to describe any band or music that happened to be playing something hard. I even saw a Rolling Stone review of a David Crosby/Graham Nash concert from 1975 where they said "Crosby, Nash and band let loose with a stream of double fisted metal music...".  That's an exact quote. Now, obviously, David Crosby and Graham Nash, or Crosby, Stills and Nash, are not "heavy metal" as we now know it. But the Rolling Stone article was attempting to point out that they were playing something that sounded harder than what they are usually known for. That original wave of heavy metal bands, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, etc, were still simply called "hard rock" back then. It really wasn't until the late 70s or even early 80s that heavy metal coalesced into it's own genre as we now know it and started being referred to as such.

Check for new replies or respond here...