inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Electropop explosion

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/05/18 at 1:22 pm

After looking at the charts of the late 00s and early 10s, I decided to make this topic to discuss the popularity of electropop. As we all know, the genre took the mainstream by storm when Lady Gaga's first hit Just Dance became popular. Then, we had followed up songs on that genre such as Poker Face, Bad Romance, Tik-Tok, California Gurls, Teenage Dream etc; however, the issue is some people have exaggerated the significant impact of electropop in the music scene of that time. I do not deny at all that electropop wasn't huge (it was), but for the people to assume that it was the only genre on the map at the time is plain ignorance. They seem to forget that Hip-hop, R&B, rock, AC, etc. were also on the charts as well. In the late 00s, there was Akon, T-Pain, Beyonce, 50 Cent, Green Day, All American Rejects, Pitbull, Leona Lewis, Alicia Keys, Britney Spears (her comeback), Black Eyed Peas (not all their songs were electropop), Paramore, etc. In the early 10s, there was Adele, Drake, fun., Of Monsters & Men, Gotye, Bruno Mars, Nicki Minaj, Eminem (his comeback), T-Swift, Frank Ocean, Big Sean, Miguel, etc. None of the people I mentioned are considered electropop artists. Music experts categorize all of them in the other genres. I have always wondered why these artists never get discussed when it comes to the music scene of the late 00s/early 10s? There was so much more to the mainstream of that time than just electropop.

Oh, and I wanted to say that I don't hate electropop at all. In fact, I enjoyed those songs very much that I have had nostalgia for them in the last few years :). I just know that the genre wasn't the only one that was booming in the music scene at that time.

Subject: Re: The Electropop explosion

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/05/18 at 2:07 pm

Hey ultra dog, off topic but could you respond to the PM I sent you, as well as my new post in the evolution of hip hop thread?

Also, maybe the other artists aren't recognized as electropop because electropop is sort of a vague category. And 50 Cent fell off in the late 00s didn't he? Kanye slayed him in 2007.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 01/05/18 at 5:40 pm

That's true. You're right, there was other genres that were popular and a good number of them at that. I guess though it was something to do with the idea that the very specific electronic sound, captured the time period the most in audio form. It was quite a flashy extravagant time (just look at the music videos!) and even though the era didn't last too long, that synthy electronic sound just seemed to be the kind of defining audio of those 4/5 years. I do think though that the type of electropop we heard during the late 2000's and early 2010's was quite specific to that era and wasn't really heard before or after.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/05/18 at 8:11 pm

Also, maybe the other artists aren't recognized as electropop because electropop is a vague category. And 50 Cent fell off in the late 00s didn't he? Kanye slew him in 2007.
That's what I said. The artists are not considered electropop as they make songs in other genres.

That's true Kanye won the rap battle that year; however, 50 Cent didn't completely fall off the map just yet. He was still mainstream until 2011.

That's true. You're right; other genres were popular and a good number of them at that. I guess though it was something to do with the idea that the particular electronic sound, captured the period the most in audio form. It was quite a flashy extravagant time (just look at the music videos!) and even though the era didn't last too long, that synthy electronic sound just seemed to be the defining audio of those 4/5 years. I do think though that the type of electropop we heard during the late 2000's and early 2010's was quite specific to that era and folks had not known that sound before or after.
Yeah, that could be a reason. That sound was very distinctive for its time that people did not recognize in previous eras. Even those songs with that synthy electronic tune were different from any that made in the 80s.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/22/18 at 7:28 pm

I agree with this. While electropop was definitely popular in the very late 2000's / early 2010's, there were other music genres that were popular as well. The early 2010's seemed like the last time when rock music was fairly popular. The hip-hop from 2010 still seemed heavily late 2000's influenced.

Check for new replies or respond here...