inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Singles only released in certain countries

Written By: whistledog on 01/17/18 at 6:35 pm

Did you know that some songs released as singles are aimed towards a certain market or country for one reason or another?  Does anyone know of any?  I will start with an example:

In 1983, Family Man was released as the third single from the smash album H2O by Hall and Oates.  A cover of the Mike Oldfield song from 1982, it became a major hit in most countries whereas Oldfield's original did not.  In Canada however, the Oldfield version made it into the Top 30 and was still popular at the time.  Fearing the H&O version wouldn't do well as a result, RCA records chose the John Oates sung Italian Girls as the 3rd single for the Canadian market and it reached #24 in the Canadian chart.

To my knowledge, a music video was never filmed for it

Uvg8OhfMR4A

Subject: Re: Singles only released in certain countries

Written By: whistledog on 01/17/18 at 6:42 pm

In 1983, Culture Club released their 2nd album titled Colour By Numbers.  In most of Europe and Australia/NZ, the album's 2nd single was called Victims.  Virgin records thought the song might be too depressing for North America and Japan, so they released Miss Me Blind in its place.

I like both songs a lot.  I remember Miss Me Blind, but I prefer Victims more. 

Bne9japqmm4 hFVuuRxM2VU

Check for new replies or respond here...