inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Earliest era that feels genuinely dated to you?

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 01/22/18 at 3:04 pm

I'm talking more than just slightly dated.

I'd say the early '00s.

Early '90s is the earliest era that feels like another world.

Subject: Re: Earliest era that feels genuinely dated to you?

Written By: mqg96 on 01/22/18 at 3:54 pm

People are gonna disagree, but I still believe the pre-2008 times are the last era that feels dated.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/22/18 at 4:40 pm

I'm talking more than just slightly dated.

I'd say the early '00s.

Early '90s is the earliest era that feels like another world.

If I were to go with 'slightly dated' I would have went with the mid-00's. But since you asked another question, I'm going with the early 00's too.

https://www.theamas.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Jennifer-Lopez-20011.jpg

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/22/18 at 4:41 pm

People are gonna disagree, but I still believe the pre-2008 times are the last era that feels dated.

I started Kindergarten in August 2007 and it was definitely core 2000’s. 2007 feels like another world now. I know my age may play a role but it did have a little bit of a different feel compared to 2008, but the transition in 2008 was nowhere near as big as the one in 2009 IMO. The 2008-2009 school year is the most transitional school year I’ve lived so far.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/22/18 at 5:00 pm

I started Kindergarten in August 2007 and it was definitely core 2000’s. 2007 feels like another world now. I know my age may play a role but it did have a little bit of a different feel compared to 2008, but the transition in 2008 was nowhere near as big as the one in 2009 IMO. The 2008-2009 school year is the most transitional school year I’ve lived so far.

Oh no I 100% agree with you. 2008-2009 (that was 7th grade for me) was the start of the transition into 2010's culture. That was in full effect by the 2009-2010 season/school year. That's why I said pre-2008. To make my statement more clear. Summer 2008 and earlier. You type in "2010's culture" on google, you see stuff everywhere that was impactful from late 2009 and on. You type in "2000's culture" on google, you'll see political culture from the start of 9/11 but when it comes to pop culture they'll start it in 2003.

Written By: 2001 on 01/22/18 at 5:47 pm

The late '90s is straight up retro to me now. After explaining in another thread that my parents didn't have a cellphone back then and we still used VCR camcorders, and the majority of people were without internet access, it just really hit me how old it is now. Also teen pop and frosted tips looks VERY cheesy now. Funny how back in 2005 (back when it was still somewhat popular) I got picked on for not spiking my hair, now that style has gone the way of the '70s disco perm and '80s mullets.

Written By: Zelek3 on 01/22/18 at 5:52 pm

Around 2003/2004.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 01/22/18 at 7:24 pm

The late '90s is straight up retro to me now. After explaining in another thread that my parents didn't have a cellphone back then and we still used VCR camcorders, and the majority of people were without internet access, it just really hit me how old it is now. Also teen pop and frosted tips looks VERY cheesy now. Funny how back in 2005 (back when it was still somewhat popular) I got picked on for not spiking my hair, now that style has gone the way of the '70s disco perm and '80s mullets.

I remember trying to spike my hair in around 2006 or 2007, even though I had long hair for a boy.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 01/22/18 at 8:03 pm

I think 2009 is dated to me.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/22/18 at 9:46 pm

I agree. Heck even the early 2000s are starting to look a bit retro these days. I saw this commcercial break from 2002 a few months ago, and it honestly looks like another world:

Vs8Gy72FgSQ

This is despite being roughly a year after 9/11, internet now available in just over 50% of U.S households, and the momentum of DVD sales rising (despite VHS sales still holding a slight majority), and even with all of that 2002 still looks pretty dispatched from the Late 2010s. It also makes me feel old as dirt sometimes when I vividly remember world prior to much of the modern technology we take for granted now. I guess that's the weird Millennial experience, old enough to remember the technology and culture of the 'old world', but just young enough to be consumed and dependent on the technology and culture of today ;D.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 01/22/18 at 11:30 pm

Early 2000s, 2003 specifically.

The mid 2000s are dated but to a much smaller extent and I would say the last era which feels anicent is the early 90s.

Written By: wixness on 01/23/18 at 7:53 am

To me, what genuinely felt dated to me at the earliest would be 1999. I was probably two years old at the oldest in that year. The aesthetic then would have still been distinctly 90s then.

Written By: 2001 on 01/23/18 at 11:06 am

If I were to go with 'slightly dated' I would have went with the mid-00's. But since you asked another question, I'm going with the early 00's too.

https://www.theamas.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Jennifer-Lopez-20011.jpg

Wow she literally has a belt on her neck.

Written By: 2001 on 01/23/18 at 11:15 am

I agree. Heck even the early 2000s are starting to look a bit retro these days. I saw this commcercial break from 2002 a few months ago, and it honestly looks like another world:

Vs8Gy72FgSQ

This is despite being roughly a year after 9/11, internet now available in just over 50% of U.S households, and the momentum of DVD sales rising (despite VHS sales still holding a slight majority), and even with all of that 2002 still looks pretty dispatched from the Late 2010s. It also makes me feel old as dirt sometimes when I vividly remember world prior to much of the modern technology we take for granted now. I guess that's the weird Millennial experience, old enough to remember the technology and culture of the 'old world', but just young enough to be consumed and dependent on the technology and culture of today ;D.

2002 is just on the cusp between dated and retro. It definitely looks old, but not cheesy old. With 6th generation gaming in full swing, the inevitability of DVDs being accepted, and things such as LCD monitors becoming a lot more common, 2002 has a more modern vibe than 1999 (when people still thought DVDs would go the way of Betamax).

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 01/23/18 at 11:24 am

To me, what genuinely felt dated to me at the earliest would be 1999. I was probably two years old at the oldest in that year. The aesthetic then would have still been distinctly 90s then.

Distinctly ‘90s aesthetic in 1999?  :o

The general public moved on from all things ‘90s (i.e. - Seinfeld, The double denim look, and The ‘60s revival) to ‘00s culture (I.e. - Everybody Loves Raymond, baggy clothes, and The ‘70s revival) at that point in time.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/23/18 at 3:52 pm

2002 is just on the cusp between dated and retro. It definitely looks old, but not cheesy old. With 6th generation gaming in full swing, the inevitability of DVDs being accepted, and things such as LCD monitors becoming a lot more common, 2002 has a more modern vibe than 1999 (when people still thought DVDs would go the way of Betamax).

True. 2002 in the grand scheme of things is still merely 'dated'. However, in due time the early 2000s, especially the pre 9/11 section, will become retro. I remember just a few years ago that many people still took issue with calling the late 90s retro, and now its widely considered to be a completely different world in comparison to today.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/23/18 at 4:41 pm

Here's a picture from the 1995/1996 school year. I'm still trying to find 1995 'old'.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwFgt-I5KWZ53ycr3iOIWfKP6VSyvgmjTj2ffodfLKhUiX5yUJ

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/23/18 at 4:58 pm

Here's a picture from the 1995/1996 school year. I'm still trying to find 1995 'old'.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwFgt-I5KWZ53ycr3iOIWfKP6VSyvgmjTj2ffodfLKhUiX5yUJ

You don't think 1995 is old? Personally any year in 1995 & before seems like a VERY different world in comparison to today. Just the lack of commercialized internet alone is enough to put 1995 solidly in the 'retro' category.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/23/18 at 6:38 pm

You don't think 1995 is old? Personally any year in 1995 & before seems like a VERY different world in comparison to today. Just the lack of commercialized internet alone is enough to put 1995 solidly in the 'retro' category.

I watched a YouTube video of a high school in 1990. It looked just like the 80’s and it was like an extremely different world. That year is pushing 30 already.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 01/23/18 at 6:45 pm

I watched a YouTube video of a high school in 1990. It looked just like the 80’s and it was like an extremely different world. That year is pushing 30 already.

Was it this one?

l06KEWCcnQE

That'd make sense since 1990 was still littered with hangover 80s trends.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/23/18 at 6:51 pm

Was it this one?

l06KEWCcnQE

That'd make sense since 1990 was still littered with hangover 80s trends.

YES it was that one! 1990 felt really different from 1999.

Written By: Wobo on 01/23/18 at 7:38 pm

YES it was that one! 1990 felt really different from 1999.

80s culture probably still effected the start of the 90s since it's April 1990 only 3 months into the 90s.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/24/18 at 6:57 am

I'm in the mid-2000s camp, specifically the summer of 2006, with the events of this thread playing a major part of my final coming of age as I entered my senior year in college. 

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe00s/smf/1443826332.shtml

Things like the seventh generation of gaming and social media becoming fully established around then, along with the point when kids trends shifted from late Millennial to Gen Z. To me the late 2000s feels much more modern and still quite a bit connected to the late 2010s, with a few subtle differences, but a lot of arts ideals still remain similar to trends established around then, including graphic and webpage design. "Another World" would be from around early 1996 or so when the Internet started to become a reality of the future and 3D gaming started to take off. (Incidentally, the old soap opera Another World changed their theme song and graphics to something much more distinctively representative of the '90s around then with New Age beats at that time). This is starting to be the cutoff for "vintage" as opposed to just "old school", which implies "cheesily outdated". The late 2000s and very early 2010s IMO are on the cusp of "current" and "dated" for most adults, though of course most kids/teens will see it as dated like how I saw the late '80s in the late '90s as a teen. For instance, Justin Beiber and the sitcom Modern Family is nowhere nearly as popular as they were in 2010. However, I still use a TV and PC at home manufactured in late 2009 and still use the same car that I purchased new in September 2008.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/24/18 at 3:01 pm

I'm in the mid-2000s camp, specifically the summer of 2006, with the events of this thread playing a major part of my final coming of age as I entered my senior year in college. 

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe00s/smf/1443826332.shtml

Things like the seventh generation of gaming and social media becoming fully established around then, along with the point when kids trends shifted from late Millennial to Gen Z. To me the late 2000s feels much more modern and still quite a bit connected to the late 2010s, with a few subtle differences, but a lot of arts ideals still remain similar to trends established around then, including graphic and webpage design. "Another World" would be from around early 1996 or so when the Internet started to become a reality of the future and 3D gaming started to take off. (Incidentally, the old soap opera Another World changed their theme song and graphics to something much more distinctively representative of the '90s around then with New Age beats at that time). This is starting to be the cutoff for "vintage" as opposed to just "old school", which implies "cheesily outdated". The late 2000s and very early 2010s IMO are on the cusp of "current" and "dated" for most adults, though of course most kids/teens will see it as dated like how I saw the late '80s in the late '90s as a teen. For instance, Justin Beiber and the sitcom Modern Family is nowhere nearly as popular as they were in 2010. However, I still use a TV and PC at home manufactured in late 2009 and still use the same car that I purchased new in September 2008.

I would say 2008-2010 are on the cusp of dated and modern, but it’s really starting to get long in the tooth with 2008 IMO.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 02/11/18 at 8:24 am

I'd say the mid 2000s.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/24/18 at 10:35 am

Pre-2008: Like another world
2008-2010: Cusp of dated/feeling like another world
2011-2013: Dated, but not yet another world
2014: Cusp of a little bit dated/modern
2015+: Recent/Modern

IMO

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 02/24/18 at 12:54 pm

The Early 2010s

Written By: ofkx on 02/24/18 at 12:56 pm

Late 2000s or 2008. Look at these random videos I found on youtube from 2008. They look pretty dated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYglkWrRG_g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk9vCIcE1VA
Everyone's emo lol.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 02/24/18 at 2:20 pm

Genuinely dated? I would say the late '90s.

Check for new replies or respond here...