inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What decade's music makes up the bulk of your music collection/listening habits?

Written By: 90s Guy on 02/02/18 at 6:05 pm

If you had to guess, or if you went as far as to actually look through your collection, what decade would you say makes up the bulk of your music?

Myself, I am a white male, age 27, from New York City and without question the bulk of my music listening is from the 1970s, followed closely by the 1960s, followed in third place by the 1990s, fourth by the 1980s, and with anything after around 2000 a distant fifth.

Subject: Re: What decade's music makes up the bulk of your music collection/listening habits?

Written By: 80sfan on 02/02/18 at 6:24 pm

I don't have one, but mine would include 60's, 80s, and 90's, mostly.

Subject: Re: What decade's music makes up the bulk of your music collection/listening habits?

Written By: Howard on 02/03/18 at 7:29 am

I would say early to mid and late 1980's.

Written By: Toclafane on 02/03/18 at 5:26 pm

mostly 70s/80s ELO, Queen, MJ, Jackson 5, The Turtles. George Michael, Bon Jovi, Styx, REO Speedwagon, The Jam, The Smiths. I just really love music from then and the style and clothing. I do have a good bulk of songs from the 2000s i also listen too,  but not many from the 2010s, as Im not into the current trending songs.

Written By: AndrewShannon on 02/03/18 at 11:31 pm

80s by far, with a lot of early 90s black and death metal, almost as many 00s bands as just that, but mostly 80s. I just updated my favorites on RYM and it should be pretty clear...
https://rateyourmusic.com/~EthortheWarlord

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/04/18 at 4:15 pm

80s by far, with a lot of early 90s black and death metal, almost as many 00s bands as just that, but mostly 80s. I just updated my favorites on RYM and it should be pretty clear...
https://rateyourmusic.com/~EthortheWarlord

Even though I am a fan of metal, I was never really a fan of black metal.

The thing that really turned me off about it was the church burnings and the fact that some people in the scene (like Varg Vikernes) are complete nutcases.

Written By: nally on 02/04/18 at 4:23 pm

80s for the most part, with 90s a close second. In fact, I enjoy listening to just about all decades of the rock era.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/04/18 at 5:22 pm

50s, 60s, 70s, & 80s. I do have a bit from other decades, too (including earlier stuff).

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/04/18 at 5:23 pm

70's, by a slight margin.  Next 80's by a slight margin, then 60's.  These three decades probably sum up to 90% or more of my collection.

Written By: AndrewShannon on 02/04/18 at 5:27 pm

Even though I am a fan of metal, I was never really a fan of black metal.

The thing that really turned me off about it was the church burnings and the fact that some people in the scene (like Varg Vikernes) are complete nutcases.

Eh, there's crazies in every scene that's ever existed. But Black Metal was set up as "evil" and "trve" so it might attract more of those types, but I don't care. My problem with BM is that a lot of the bands are stale as hell. It needs extra kick to be effective, and bands like Dissection just...don't have it. The music gets boring.

My favorite metal style is actually war metal, which I've found has that kick almost every time. Crust punk is similar as well.

80s though was the height of metal, and where most of my music and sensibilities towards metal comes from (especially after about 7 years of near-nonstop engrossing myself in it, finding as many obscure albums as possible on Youtube...).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/04/18 at 5:41 pm

60s and 70s of course! I used to go to the hip record stores, head shops and occasionally the record department of department stores (they used to have these) to buy much of this stuff when it was new. Nothing beat that smell of a freshly opened album.  8)

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 02/04/18 at 6:07 pm

Eh, there's crazies in every scene that's ever existed. But Black Metal was set up as "evil" and "trve" so it might attract more of those types, but I don't care. My problem with BM is that a lot of the bands are stale as hell. It needs extra kick to be effective, and bands like Dissection just...don't have it. The music gets boring.

My favorite metal style is actually war metal, which I've found has that kick almost every time. Crust punk is similar as well.

80s though was the height of metal, and where most of my music and sensibilities towards metal comes from (especially after about 7 years of near-nonstop engrossing myself in it, finding as many obscure albums as possible on Youtube...).

Why not kvlt?

It's actually kind of sad how pop seems to be more popular than metal. Metal takes much more dedication and time to make, and it saddens me to see Nicki Minaj videos have 5000+ times more views than your average metal video.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/04/18 at 7:22 pm

60s and 70s of course! I used to go to the hip record stores, head shops and occasionally the record department of department stores (they used to have these) to buy much of this stuff when it was new. Nothing beat that smell of a freshly opened album.  8)

Still have all of my records. Don't play them but just can't part with them.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 02/04/18 at 7:55 pm

Cat

I hung on to all of mine also. The interesting thing is that all the people who immediately dumped all their albums at the advent of CDs in the mid 80s now wish they had them back. 

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/04/18 at 8:28 pm

Cat

I hung on to all of mine also. The interesting thing is that all the people who immediately dumped all their albums at the advent of CDs in the mid 80s now wish they had them back. 

Yes - I'm happy to say I still have my vinyl, too - and a working turntable.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/18 at 5:26 am

That's great, have you tried playing a few records to see if it still works?

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/05/18 at 6:37 am

Since my biggest collection is on vinyl (33 and 45 RPM), the 1960s through 1980s are by far the most represented, with a decent amound of 1950s and a slice of '90s (though limited since many songs never had a 45 release that decade). Just a tiny amount of early '00s as well.  I generally see 21st century music as being best on digital devices, along with hard to find classic releases that are too expensive to find physically, like rare "northern soul" and rare punk/progressive/garage rock.

Of course, some people didn't dump their records but kept them in storage somewhere.

Written By: unicornic on 02/05/18 at 7:13 am

As a 16 y/o, I’d say ‘10s

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/05/18 at 1:32 pm

I still have 2 stereos but they are out in the garage that I am planning on selling. Several years ago, I bought a turntable that hooks up to the computer with the idea of transferring all those albums on digital. I don't think I ever did ONE album.

Cat

Written By: meesa on 02/05/18 at 2:22 pm

All of my music is (now) digital.
Looking through, I have a variety, but I would say the 70s/80s are slightly higher than the rest. I have more recent music up until this year that has been released, but you won't find it on the charts.

I have quite a bit of opera and classical as well. Just about the only thing I don't have is country music. Just can't get into it.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 02/05/18 at 3:35 pm

I don't really have a preference for when things released, but I'd say 2010's, probably because I keep up with new music, and there's a good amount from every decade from the 30's to the 00's after that.

Written By: Howard on 02/06/18 at 7:43 am

Since my biggest collection is on vinyl (33 and 45 RPM), the 1960s through 1980s are by far the most represented, with a decent amound of 1950s and a slice of '90s (though limited since many songs never had a 45 release that decade). Just a tiny amount of early '00s as well.  I generally see 21st century music as being best on digital devices, along with hard to find classic releases that are too expensive to find physically, like rare "northern soul" and rare punk/progressive/garage rock.

Of course, some people didn't dump their records but kept them in storage somewhere.

My Father still has his, I don't any longer.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/24/18 at 10:28 am

Mostly the 2000's and 2010's.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 02/24/18 at 1:40 pm

Mostly the 2000's and 2010's.

Same lol

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 02/26/18 at 9:44 pm

1990s;

-Metallica (black album)

-Nirvana (self titled compilation album)

- Pearl Jam "Ten"

- Alice in Chains "Dirt"

-Smashing Pumpkins "Siamese Dream"

-Soundgarden "Superunkown"

-Green Day "International Superhits!"

-The Offspring "Greatest Hits"

-Foo Fighters "Greatest Hits"

-2Pac "Greatest Hits"

-Dr. Dre "The Chronic"

- even a few songs on Queen "The Platinum Collection" are from 1990-1991

Written By: piecesof93 on 02/26/18 at 11:15 pm

2000s followed by 90s

Written By: Dundee on 02/27/18 at 11:19 am

I'm focusing on the 2010s undergound since January, with the occasional mainstream album thrown in

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/03/18 at 3:03 pm

I listen to just about everything (well..) from the 70's back.  Love Bach among the classical, Stan Getz, especially bassa nova, Brubeck, Monk, Coltrain, Davis.  I also dig the Big Band era, especially Glenn Miller, in addition to all the pop from the '50 on.  Of course when it originated it was all "pop"

Written By: Lizardmatum on 03/03/18 at 3:13 pm

60's, 80's, a little bit from the 2000's, and 2010's

Written By: graciee on 03/03/18 at 3:14 pm

2010s

Written By: Emman on 03/04/18 at 11:16 pm

Probably the 70s and 80s, when I was a teenager I liked mostly (then) current music like R&B, alternative rock, nu metal 8-P, vocal trance, house, hip-hop, ect.

Written By: Don Carlos on 03/08/18 at 6:18 pm

In my previous post I forgot to mention that some of my favorite music is from the Caribbean and from Chile.  That Caribbean sound is, to me, extremely sensual and reminds me of hot nights in Puerto Rico.

Chilean revolutionary music is fantastic.  Here's a NY Times article about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/07/22/opinion/l-the-hard-birth-of-chilean-protest-music-049795.html

I heard Victor Jara and all the others mentioned in that short piece.  Check out their music.  Not only is it beautiful, it is powerful.  As Bertholt Brecth (google him) put it "Art is not the mirror of reality but the hammer witch to shape it".  These artist exemplify that.  Where are their equals in our country today?

Written By: Alexander1956 on 03/09/18 at 10:44 pm

Mostly 70s and 80s. Then 90s and 60s and also a little bit from the early 2000s.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/10/18 at 7:24 am

Nineties and aughts baby!  ;D I grew up with it after all.

Check for new replies or respond here...