inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If used in the right context, decade kid elitism can be a good thing

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 02/22/18 at 7:10 pm

Now, I bet you read the title, and are now thinking "what the fudge", but please read out this entire post before coming to any conclusions.

Now, there's no doubt that on these decade and generation related forums like here on inthe00s as well as on other sites like Personality Cafe, YouTube, and even City-Data, one of the biggest issues surrounding these topics is elitism, in two forms; Decade Kid Elitism and Generation Elitism.
Decade Kid Elitism on these forums mostly deals with the "90s Kid VS 00s Kid" debate, while Generation Elitism deals with the "Gen Y VS Gen Z" debate.

Now, before we go on about Decade Kid Elitism, I do wanna touch up a bit on Generation Elitism. Now, generation elitism is never a good thing regardless of context. Why? Because generations don't exist, there's a video on YouTube from Adam Conover that explains this perfectly, and even Jason Dorsey once said on Ted Talks, "Generations are clues, they're not a box". Also, one or two years is never going to make a major sociological difference, a six year difference or more on the other hand definitely will though. Plus, there's no objective criteria used to define generations; pop culture is always changing gradually, and major political events happen constantly. (The "Remember 9/11" rule for Gen Y is especially flawed, since it's too Americentric, and even if these generations only pertained to America, it doesn't take into consideration the location where one may have lived at the time, or how well their memory was. I know one person born in Late 1998 in the C/O 2017 who remembers it since she lived in New York at the time, as well as plenty of people born in 1996 who have absolutely no memory of it)

But anyways, this thread isn't about Generation Elitism, rather it's about Decade Kid Elitism. This is mostly prevalent among the "90s Kid VS 00s Kid" debate, but is also becoming more evident with the "00s Kid VS 10s Kid" debate as well.
Now, as stated above, you probably looked at the title of this thread and though, "how the fudge could decade kid elitism ever be a good thing?"
But you may have also overlooked in the title, "If used in the right context,".
In the right context... so, basically, what I'm saying is, Decade Kid Elitism actually can be a good thing, if it's used in the right context. What is this "right context" I speak of?

First of all, unlike generations, decades actually do have clear and present boundaries that don't require deep thinking to understand. It pops in your head, the 90s were 1990-1999, yeah, I get it. You don't need to get technical about pop culture or politics or whatever, because that doesn't affect when a decade starts and ends, its a set time period of ten years. So this is one reason that Decade Kid Elitism can work, because the boundaries are clear and present, unlike with generations.

Anyways, before we get into the right context, lets first go over the wrong context, when Decade Kid Elitism is not okay.
Decade Kid Elitism is never okay if you're going to bully/troll someone for growing up in a later decade and claim that your decade was so much better for the lulz.
Another aspect of Decade Kid Elitism that is never okay is making cutoff dates, making cutoff dates is almost always going to offend someone who barely missed that cutoff, and like stated before, a one or two year difference is never major.

Those are the contexts in which Decade Kid Elitism is a bad thing.
So, what are the contexts in which Decade Kid Elitism is a good thing?
Well, here are the two scenarios.

1. Let's say there's someone born in the mid 00s, who's only memory of the decade persists of watching Sesame Street, singing nursery rhymes, playing with Play Doh, stuff like that.
Let's say this person is really annoying, and likes to post on YouTube all the time about how she's a "00s kid", and likes to share things that actually were more popular or didn't exist until the 2010s, and claim that those are the things that 00s Kids grew up with.
Obviously, these types of videos are giving a false impression of what growing up in the 00s really was like, so in this scenario, I do think it's appropriate for someone like me born in the late 90s to put her in her place and let her know that she's not a 00s kid.

Or, keeping the same concept, but changing the subject, let's say there's an American man, whom only has 1/4 or less Irish ancestry, yet because of it goes around acting like an Irish stereotype.
Let's say this man blogs all the time about "being Irish", lets say in all the pictures he posts, it shows him dressed up like Lucky the Leprechaun, and most of them show him with beer. Let's say he also posts stereotypical drunken Irish slang on this blog a lot as well. This is a scenario where it's appropriate for a real Irish person whom was actually born and grew up in Ireland to native Irish parents to let him know, "Sorry, but you're not a true Irish man".

Anyways, this sort of thing has happened many times. I'm sure you've seen "Only 90s Kids Remember This" posts made by people born in the mid-late 90s that actually showcase things that were more popular in the 00s. It's these situations where of course the real 90s kids born in the 80s are going to get annoyed, and are going to retaliate by putting these mid-late 90s borns in their place by letting them know they aren't 90s kids.

2. Counter Elitism. Putting wannabes in their place when they're picking on younger people for not growing up in the decade the wannabe wants to claim.
Basically, lets say there's someone born in 2003, whom really only experienced the end of the 00s, going around picking on kids born in the latter part of the 00s because they aren't 00s kids.
In that scenario, someone like me born in the late 90s could barge in and put him in his place by letting him know why he isn't a 00s kid either. It would also be relieving for the kid that the 2003 born was picking on, as I'd be sticking up for him.

So, that's basically the point I'm trying to make.
For Decade Kid Elitism, there's both a right context for it, and a wrong context for it. Do you agree with the points I made?

Check for new replies or respond here...