inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Artists you used to love but no longer care for

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/09/18 at 2:59 am

For me it would be:

Usher - I used to love Usher's music. He's always been a great performer, singer-songwriter, and dancer. However, around 2010 is when he lost me. With songs like OMG, DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love and other songs from the latter part of this decade, I feel that Usher has almost completely lost his authenticity.

Chris Brown - CB was one of my middle school celeb crushes. When he first busted onto the scene he appeared to be a fresh faced, talented and determined young artist. I loved his first album but I was not very impressed with his second one. I was still a fan of his however. I still like few songs from him but overall it is not my type of music. Sounds too much like a rapper.

Beyonce - Anyone who knows me, knows that I was the biggest Beyonce fan growing up I was a little obsessed with her. I have literally been a fan of her since she came out with Destiny Child and I followed her all the way until 2008. I had all the albums, DVDs, movies etc. But I surprisingly began to lose interest in her during the Sasha Fierce days. And I feel that her music has only gotten worse since then. It is so hard for me to believe that someone who was so important to me growing up has now managed to become something that makes me shake my head.

In order to stay relevant artists have to adapt to the current sound I guess. Unfortunately,  all these  artists have fallen victim to this fact. And, in my opinion, their music has suffered as a result. A lot of their music has become vulgar and tasteless to keep up with the current trap trend and the need to be "edgy." That is why I feel that these artists are incredibly disingenuous with their music now (with the exception of Chris Brown). 

It used to bother me that my favorite artists have changed but it's okay now. I've found new artists to replace them. You don't have to go too much in depth but who are some artists you were once a fan of but no longer are and why?

Subject: Re: Artists you used to love but no longer care for

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 03/09/18 at 6:26 am

Nickelback: My best friend in elementary school told me about them, so I looked them up on YouTube and already knew several songs from them that I liked, but I never really kept up with them, so my interest just kind of waned.

Coldplay: I only started listening around 2012 when Paradise was popular, and I just found most of the stuff they released afterwards to be boring.

OneRepublic: I liked a lot of their music and got into them in 2012/13, I still like a lot of their older stuff, I just kind of lost interest and my my music taste has changed a lot.

Fun: I started listening to Fun sometime in 2012, and I believe that We Are Young is one of the best hit songs of the decade, it's just that I hated the song Carry On so much that it caused me to start disliking them at the time. ;D I think they're okay now, but I rarely go back to listen to them.

Imagine Dragons: I'm sad to say the first album I owned was Night Visions, which I got on my 14th birthday in January 2013, lol. It's also the only physical album I've ever owned, all my others are digital, and I usually just stream albums without purchasing them at all (first one I purchased myself was Frank Ocean's Blonde the day it released in 2016 though). I still like Night Visions, it's just that Imagine Dragon has become one of the most generic bands of this decade imo, and I honestly can't stand them now.

Chris Brown: He was also one for me, but I got into his music way later than when he debuted, it was in 2013, I really liked his song Fine China, which caused me to check out a lot of his older songs. I still find a lot of his music catchy, I just don't listen to him as much after reading how bad the incident with Rihanna actually was (wasn't just a punch like what you hear, he nearly beat her to death).

Aloe Blacc: I got interested in Aloe Blacc's music in mid/late 2013, because of Wake Me Up, which lead me to check out his EP later on, and I ended up really loving The Man, which ended up being a 2014 hit. Looking back on it, most of the music he released was really mediocre, and he has only a few standout songs, I think I just really liked a couple of his songs and his voice.

Kind of funny how all of these besides Nickelback are from when I was 13/14, which supposedly is the most influential age for what music you end up liking later on. :P

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/09/18 at 8:36 am

Kind of funny how all of these besides Nickelback are from when I was 13/14, which supposedly is the most influential age for what music you end up liking later on. :P

Lol the people I listed are from when I was 13 as well. Artists often change their sound so it would make sense that as time passes you lose interest. It's the music itself and the genres that were popular during your adolescence that can be very influential to your musical tastes. Plus a lot of popular music from when I was 13/14 was terrible.  ;D

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/09/18 at 8:56 am

I used to casually like Bruno Mars back when his songs were romantic and heartfelt, but now I feel he's gotten overly cocky and a little douchey.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/09/18 at 9:08 am

I used to casually like Bruno Mars back when his songs were romantic and heartfelt, but now I feel he's gotten overly cocky and a little douchey.

That's funny because for me it's the complete opposite. I prefer the music he releases today vs his earlier stuff. However, I've always liked his Reggae-inspired songs.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 03/09/18 at 8:50 pm

I used to listen to Simple Plan in high school, mainly for nostalgia since I used to hear them a lot as a kid.

Removed those rose tinted glasses, and now I can't stand to hear them. Unfortunately they play a Simple Plan song everyday where I work.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/09/18 at 9:00 pm

I used to listen to Simple Plan in high school, mainly for nostalgia since I used to hear them a lot as a kid.

Removed those rose tinted glasses, and now I can't stand to hear them. Unfortunately they play a Simple Plan song everyday where I work.

I agree with you 100% man! I cannot believe I used to like that depressing crap!

Written By: SpyroKev on 03/05/19 at 11:04 am

Nah. I will never stop thinking about the artists I grew up listening to, saves room on my MP3 player. The 2000s is my stay decade. I also extremely dislike how a noticeable portion of them are becoming older enough to be my grandparents.

** these new artists. The next gen can have them.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/05/19 at 12:56 pm

I used to be a Tool and Perfect Circle fan until I learned what a douche canoe Maynard is like he thinks he's better than his fans.  >:(

Written By: mwalker1996 on 03/05/19 at 5:59 pm

For me it's enimen. I more of a fan of his 2000s stuff. Im with you on Beyonce Millenium, but I did enjoy her song ego from 2009. I will also add jay z since I was a big fan of his blueprint 3 album and made me a fan of his earlier work so I was a bit disappoint with Holy Grail.

Written By: 2001 on 03/05/19 at 10:00 pm

Hedley. After the violent rape allegations, I can't help but think of violent rape whenever a song of theirs pops up.

Fall Out Boy, Panic! At the Disco etc. and all the pop punk bands that went pure pop.

Boys Like Girls, omg it's so bad, I don't know how I ever listened to it.

Written By: GuapitoChico on 03/18/19 at 7:14 am

Fall Out Boy, Panic! At the Disco etc. and all the pop punk bands that went pure pop.

I respect their change, but I agree. Their new stuff doesn’t excite me now as much as their older stuff excited me in middle school.

Written By: cowboy on 03/18/19 at 10:05 am

Kylie, Britney, Shania Twain, etc. Almost any female pop singer/girl group/boy band from 1990-2007. :o
I now prefer the output by Mario, Ne-Yo, the Black-eyed Peas, Outkast, Green Day, Maroon 5, Justin Timberlake, Daniel Powter, 50 Cent, Usher, Nelly, Akon and The White Stripes from that era.

I still have lots of trash in my music folder just for nostalgia's sake, but musically I cringe at the cheesiness of Britney's Do Somethin', Gimme More and Piece Of Me (You want a piece of meat haha). Or Kylie's overrated 2000s songs (lalalalalalala or wo-wo-wo-wow!). Utter trash! 8-P Now I realize why I loved the total change in pop circa 2008-2009 and the new artists it brought.

Most songs from the likes of Kylie, Britney, almost anyone in teen pop now sound cheesy and boring to me with few exceptions. I now like the 2005 comeback single of the BSB more than their 90s/early 2000s teen pop stuff.

I think RnB and some hip-hop from the 2000s has aged better than pop and dance for the most part, with the exception of 2008 and 2009 that had great pop. Now I feel that guys actually had better output in 2003-2007 than female artists, while back then I used to think the opposite. Beyonce, Rihanna and even the PSD being the exceptions that have aged well, I still like their 2000s things. I no longer like most things by Kylie, Christina, Britney, Hilary Duff, anyone from the 90s teen pop eta etc. But yeah, now I appreciate all the good things 50 Cent, Ne-Yo, Eminem, Mario etc. have done. Now it's another pop music drought so I'm waiting for a change in sound. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...