inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Learning cursive in school

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 03/09/18 at 5:35 pm

As we all know, they no longer teach cursive in school, but what's your experience with learning cursive in school.

For me, I learned it in third grade (2010-2011 school year).

Subject: Re: Learning cursive in school

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/09/18 at 10:04 pm

That was around the same time I learned cursive writing as well. How come they don't teach it in schools anymore?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/09/18 at 10:12 pm

I used to think I was a boss when I could write an entire sentence in cursive http://www.thecoli.com/data/emoticons/7/56eb7711a799f2153e077a51f802c327.png?t=1497140324.

Kids nowadays are missing out http://www.thecoli.com/data/emoticons/6/919c0a8edaa80332f075830a37b31596.png?t=1490325770.

King T'Shalla

Written By: Wobo on 03/09/18 at 10:18 pm

I think I learned it.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/09/18 at 11:14 pm

I don't remember, it was a long time ago  :-\\ (late 1960s) - probably third grade for me, too.

Younger folks may not realize this, but when someone is competent at writing cursive, they write cursive much faster than printing by hand.  The cursive writer does not pick up the writing instrument nearly as much, just between words or crossing "T"s and dotting "I"s.  Since, when I was in upper levels of school (70s/early 80s) we didn't have any electronic aids for taking notes in school (save cassette recorders, used on occasion in college but not always welcome), we took notes on paper - and cursive was the way to go, especially in college.  There were a few rare folks who knew shorthand - even better.  Of course a good typist will type much faster than handwriting, one reason electronic gadgets' superiority to handwriting makes cursive less needed than in the past.  But back then, it was a handicap being unable to write cursive.  (Though many had that "handicap" and overcame it anyway.)  Just a little history.

Written By: 2001 on 03/09/18 at 11:17 pm

I learnt it in Grade 5 (2002-03). My handwriting is 30% cursive, 70% block.

This is a sample. From a Differential Equations lecture that I went to for my friend because he was ill, so it's neater than usual since it needed to be readable ;D  :-https://i.imgur.com/zMtzXvS.png

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/10/18 at 12:37 am

I learnt it in Grade 5 (2002-03). My handwriting is 30% cursive, 70% block.

This is a sample. From a Differential Equations lecture that I went to for my friend because he was ill, so it's neater than usual since it needed to be readable ;D  :-https://i.imgur.com/zMtzXvS.png

You have beautiful handwriting. Mine is butt ugly.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 03/10/18 at 6:26 am

For me, I also learned cursive in third grade (2007-2008 school year).

Written By: 2001 on 03/10/18 at 9:32 am

You have beautiful handwriting. Mine is butt ugly.

Aw thanks. I'm sure it's not so bad. The important question is, how much of it is in cursive? :P

Written By: TwilightPrince16 on 03/10/18 at 10:48 am

That was around the same time I learned cursive writing as well. How come they don't teach it in schools anymore?

Writing cursive is faster than writing in print, but if anything, they really want you to type everything at this point. Whereas programs such as Google Classroom are slowly replacing the pencil and paper all together.

Written By: nally on 03/10/18 at 11:25 am

I learned it in 2nd grade, which for me was 30 years ago already!

My 2nd grade teacher had a habit of writing inconsistently on the chalkboard. She'd do printing and then shift into cursive, especially for words that ended with "al"... so by January (1988), my class was eager to learn cursive handwriting. And I enjoyed learning it.

These days I pretty much only use it to sign my name on legal documents.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/10/18 at 11:28 am

So, how are they supposed to sign their signatures when they get older? Even when  I sign my name digitally, most of the time it's in cursive.

Written By: 2001 on 03/10/18 at 11:35 am

Writing cursive is faster than writing in print, but if anything, they really want you to type everything at this point. Whereas programs such as Google Classroom are slowly replacing the pencil and paper all together.

In the sciences (or at least Math/Physics/Engineering) it's still important to know how to write cursive since writing equations on a computer is still a pain in the ass, and you need to be able to write quickly.  :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/10/18 at 12:11 pm

I learned it in 4th grade. In college, going for my teaching certification, I had to relearn how I wrote because how I was taught (printing) was different than what they were teaching the students at the time. Now, I can't remember how I used to print and I am afraid to say that there are some letters (capitals) in cursive that I have forgotten how to write.  :-[

I remember having a conversation with my grandmother a long time ago. She told me that she never learned how to print. She could only write in cursive. I guess we (as a society) done a total 180.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/10/18 at 3:24 pm

I learned cursive writing during the early 1980's.

Written By: nally on 03/10/18 at 5:43 pm

Yeah you're right, especially since with cursive you don't have to lift the pen(cil) off the paper so many times (only after completing a word). But you don't want to write too fast (either in cursive OR in printing) and not be able to read your words later.

In most cases I type a lot more regularly these days (and have gradually increased my typing speed over time)... but if I have to write something, it's often in plain printing.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/20/20 at 10:32 am

First grade.  Second grade we were not allowed to print.

Written By: nally on 09/18/21 at 10:58 am

First grade.  Second grade we were not allowed to print.

Whoa :o :o

That's rather amazing (for lack of a better word).

Written By: whistledog on 09/21/21 at 11:41 pm

They need to teach cursive in school.  How else will today's kids know how to read the tattoos on the necks of their gang leaders :D

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 06/10/22 at 1:22 pm

They need to teach cursive in school.  How else will today's kids know how to read the tattoos on the necks of their gang leaders :D

Cursive is now on the verge of being used as secret code.  The possibilities are endless.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/10/22 at 1:37 pm

The funny thing is, when I learned cursive in school in the prehistoric era it was not ever called "cursive". That may have been the technical name even then, but in school it was exclusively called "handwriting". I came just after the era when it was referred to as "penmanship". My grandmother used to call it that. She says she was taught penmanship by something called "The Palmer Method" but that was definitely before my time.

Written By: JacobThePlante on 06/13/22 at 1:37 am

They taught us cursive in my 3rd grade year (2008 - 2009), I remember they were pushing it really hard. As kids, we all thought we were so cool and uppity compared to the younger grades who couldn't write in cursive. From a practical standpoint, it really is more efficient than regular print & it looks prettier! But I still prefer printing, I like the look of it better

Written By: Catherine91UK on 07/18/22 at 9:43 am

The funny thing is, when I learned cursive in school in the prehistoric era it was not ever called "cursive". That may have been the technical name even then, but in school it was exclusively called "handwriting". I came just after the era when it was referred to as "penmanship". My grandmother used to call it that. She says she was taught penmanship by something called "The Palmer Method" but that was definitely before my time.

We called it 'joined-up writing'. I've been writing like that ever since I learned it - I find it easier than printing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/22 at 10:09 am

We called it 'joined-up writing'. I've been writing like that ever since I learned it - I find it easier than printing.
I was taught the same as you, and like you been writing that way since, but, more recently I find that writing in 'joined-up writing' has become more scrambled into a scrawl, so writing as printing is better for me.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/18/22 at 11:36 am

I was taught the same as you, and like you been writing that way since, but, more recently I find that writing in 'joined-up writing' has become more scrambled into a scrawl, so writing as printing is better for me.

It is an interesting phenomenon that as one gets older one's handwriting (be it printing or cursive) changes. Not even necessarily to something illegible, just different. I have examples of my writing from some years ago and it is nothing like now. And even before that my writing was different again. So it seems to be a continual process.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/22 at 12:23 pm

It is an interesting phenomenon that as one gets older one's handwriting (be it printing or cursive) changes. Not even necessarily to something illegible, just different. I have examples of my writing from some years ago and it is nothing like now. And even before that my writing was different again. So it seems to be a continual process.
I blame typing on the keyboard for this!

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/18/22 at 12:44 pm

I blame typing on the keyboard for this!

No, I think it's just a natural change like everything else with the human body. Hair turns gray, etc. The cells of the body change completely every seven years or so, so why wouldn't writing?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/18/22 at 1:10 pm

No, I think it's just a natural change like everything else with the human body. Hair turns gray, etc. The cells of the body change completely every seven years or so, so why wouldn't writing?
Let's say it takes me longer to write my Christmas Cards now.

Check for new replies or respond here...