inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Least Favorite Year Ever

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/19/18 at 8:20 pm

Inspired by Lizardmatum's thread called "Favorite Year Ever" this thread is now talking about the opposite. What was the worst year for you?

As for me, 2016 was the worst year of my life. I was depressed throughout that whole summer. I didn't even hang out a lot with friends. I tried so many techniques to make myself happy, like exercise at the park, which worked for a while but then I'd think about the bad stuff and get myself sad again. That pretty much summed up my whole summer of 2016. I didn't talk much in 8th grade due to how moody I was, and it didn't help that we were forced to do ballroom dancing unless it was against your religion or something.
Thankfully, I was a lot better in late 2016 when I started high school and I met new people too as well as my current crush.

Subject: Re: Least Favorite Year Ever

Written By: Emman on 03/19/18 at 8:38 pm

Likely 1999 8-P.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 03/19/18 at 9:44 pm

2009-2011

Middle school sucked major ass.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 03/19/18 at 9:45 pm

Year I didn't experience: 1971
I have always hated this year in pop culture, I don't like any of the music that came out, the fashion was ugly,  and most of the movies weren't that good (except for The French Connection).

Year I did experience: 2008
I've always considered this to be the worst year of my childhood, I was depressed, bad things happened, popular music was crap, there were no good movies and the great recession began. The only good thing was that it was quite a good year for video games, with games like Grand Theft Auto IV, Burnout Paradise, LittleBigPlanet etc. 

Written By: 2001 on 03/19/18 at 9:48 pm

2005 bar none. It was the year from hell!

Long story, read at your own risk ;D

I was 12 years old. I moved to a new city in 2004, and I had trouble making new friends at my new school, everyone already seemed to have their group of friends. Sometime in late 2004 I told a person I thought I could trust that I had a gay encounter of sorts, but sooner or later the whole school heard of it, and the torment began. People didn't even want to sit next to me or talk to me because they thought they'd catch the gay. And they knew they were bullying me, one time in class one of the girls said "I try my best to be nice to everybody", and people pointed out that she wasn't always nice to me, and she said "Oh yeah, except him, he doesn't count" and the whole class laughed  ::) And in drama class one group would keeping making a sketch where they had a character that was obviously a parody of me, and I was always the punchline. Pretty much every day at school was hell.  8-P

Then in March break (we get a week off school in the middle of March) I thought I got a respite from it all. I was back in my hometown and my mom was letting me sleepover at my friend's house for the week, I was excited to see all my old friend's again. But just as my mom is about to head out the door she gets a call telling her her mother (my grandmother) has passed away and she pretty much had a breakdown right there and I started crying too. Sleepover cancelled.  :-X My mom spiralled into depression and would cry randomly, it was just awful thing to witness as a kid.

Not even the summer provided any respite. My mom was pregnant with my sisters. She had to stay at the hospital for a few weeks prior due to some complications. When my sister born I was thrilled and thought it was going to be the happiest day of my life. Unfortunately, one of my sisters was born with a critical neo-natal defect (kidney problems). She was in an incubator for the first month of her life, and my other sister got sick with fever and hospitalized too. I was so upset, I would cry every night until 5AM because I thought neither were gonna make it.

Thankfully, the healthy one got healthy and returned home by the beginning of the school year (and yeah, the bullying started again). My other sister was out of the incubator, but that meant my mom had to stay at the hospital with her. My dad did go on paternity to help take care of my other sister, but by the time winter came he ran out. Between going to work, visiting my mom at the hospital and repeat, my dad was just too tired to be waking up at night to take care of her. That meant it was up to 12 year old me, and my two brothers, 11 and 10, to help A LOT in raising my other sister. Taking care of a newborn baby is enough to drive adults mad, now imagine a 12 year old having to do it.  :-[

So it was a few months of waking up multiple times a night to attend to a crying baby. Change her diapers, feed her bottle, rock her to sleep etc. It was pure misery. My 11 year old brother became suicidal. I don't think he was going to do it, but if he tried to overdose on pills I was there to stop him at least.  I think this is around the time he became atheist and there was also a chink in my armour too. He said "If God is good then why does he make children suffer so much?" and I didn't have an answer to that, in fact I agreed with him.  :-[

My grandmother eventually move in, and we got a nanny as well, and sent our baby sister away to our aunt's for a bit, so the hell only lasted for a short bit, but to me it felt like an eternity. It was horrible going to school to be tortured and coming home to a broken family life, or having to visit my sister in the hospital and to see her suffer. I was very lonely. I remember I didn't even have my 13th birthday (early 2006) even acknowledged for the most part because my parents weren't home. Actually the only people who acknowledged it were my brothers when we were getting ready for school in the morning to say  "Ew, you're not a kid anymore you're a teenager now. Gross." (we were huge fans of Codename: Kids Next Door, a cartoon where teenagers are seen as the enemy ;D)

But by spring 2006 the skies started to clear up and the birds were chirping again. My sister was out of the hospital and my mom was back home too. We got a more spacious house in another neighbourhood, which meant I was going to be going to a high school where only a few of the people from my middle school were in. I also made my first 'friend', you could say. My sister's nurse and I became close and I finally had someone to talk to about stuff, I actually cried a lot when it was time for her to move on (but that was in 2007) ;D

It was a difficult year but it's 100% behind me and I'm happy about that. I wouldn't be as tough as nails like I am now if I didn't go through it ;)

tl;dr bullied at school, no friends, death in the family, another near-death in the family, hospital visits, depressed and suicidal family members, parents MIA, and having to raise a newborn baby :o

Written By: bchris02 on 03/20/18 at 1:01 am

2014. It was my darkest year after moving back home. That was also the year that started much of what currently defines my personal life. I also didn’t like music much that year, with songs like #Selfie dominating.

Written By: Dundee on 03/20/18 at 1:48 am

I always have a big hatred for 2014, what a lame year ;D

Written By: Dundee on 03/20/18 at 2:06 am

Year I didn't experience: 1971
I have always hated this year in pop culture, I don't like any of the music that came out, the fashion was ugly,  and most of the movies weren't that good (except for The French Connection).

Year I did experience: 2008
I've always considered this to be the worst year of my childhood, I was depressed, bad things happened, popular music was crap, there were no good movies and the great recession began. The only good thing was that it was quite a good year for video games, with games like Grand Theft Auto IV, Burnout Paradise, LittleBigPlanet etc.

Uhm excuse me, are we talking about the same 2008? The year of Dark Knight and WALL-E?

Written By: Wobo on 03/20/18 at 12:38 pm

2015 because i called my friend fat that year and got in trouble by the teacher and got sent to another classroom. I also got in trouble again because i used up all the bread and got punished and then i got into a fight in my neighborhood i lost obviously and then middle school which i hate.

Written By: Wobo on 03/20/18 at 12:43 pm

Long story, read at your own risk ;D

I was 12 years old. I moved to a new city in 2004, and I had trouble making new friends at my new school, everyone already seemed to have their group of friends. Sometime in late 2004 I told a person I thought I could trust that I had a gay encounter of sorts, but sooner or later the whole school heard of it, and the torment began. People didn't even want to sit next to me or talk to me because they thought they'd catch the gay. And they knew they were bullying me, one time in class one of the girls said "I try my best to be nice to everybody", and people pointed out that she wasn't always nice to me, and she said "Oh yeah, except him, he doesn't count" and the whole class laughed  ::) And in drama class one group would keeping making a sketch where they had a character that was obviously a parody of me, and I was always the punchline. Pretty much every day at school was hell.  8-P

Then in March break (we get a week off school in the middle of March) I thought I got a respite from it all. I was back in my hometown and my mom was letting me sleepover at my friend's house for the week, I was excited to see all my old friend's again. But just as my mom is about to head out the door she gets a call telling her her mother (my grandmother) has passed away and she pretty much had a breakdown right there and I started crying too. Sleepover cancelled.  :-X My mom spiralled into depression and would cry randomly, it was just awful thing to witness as a kid.

Not even the summer provided any respite. My mom was pregnant with my sisters. She had to stay at the hospital for a few weeks prior due to some complications. When my sister born I was thrilled and thought it was going to be the happiest day of my life. Unfortunately, one of my sisters was born with a critical neo-natal defect (kidney problems). She was in an incubator for the first month of her life, and my other sister got sick with fever and hospitalized too. I was so upset, I would cry every night until 5AM because I thought neither were gonna make it.

Thankfully, the healthy one got healthy and returned home by the beginning of the school year (and yeah, the bullying started again). My other sister was out of the incubator, but that meant my mom had to stay at the hospital with her. My dad did go on paternity to help take care of my other sister, but by the time winter came he ran out. Between going to work, visiting my mom at the hospital and repeat, my dad was just too tired to be waking up at night to take care of her. That meant it was up to 12 year old me, and my two brothers, 11 and 10, to help A LOT in raising my other sister. Taking care of a newborn baby is enough to drive adults mad, now imagine a 12 year old having to do it.  :-[

So it was a few months of waking up multiple times a night to attend to a crying baby. Change her diapers, feed her bottle, rock her to sleep etc. It was pure misery. My 11 year old brother became suicidal. I don't think he was going to do it, but if he tried to overdose on pills I was there to stop him at least.  I think this is around the time he became atheist and there was also a chink in my armour too. He said "If God is good then why does he make children suffer so much?" and I didn't have an answer to that, in fact I agreed with him.  :-[

My grandmother eventually move in, and we got a nanny as well, and sent our baby sister away to our aunt's for a bit, so the hell only lasted for a short bit, but to me it felt like an eternity. It was horrible going to school to be tortured and coming home to a broken family life, or having to visit my sister in the hospital and to see her suffer. I was very lonely. I remember I didn't even have my 13th birthday (early 2006) even acknowledged for the most part because my parents weren't home. Actually the only people who acknowledged it were my brothers when we were getting ready for school in the morning to say  "Ew, you're not a kid anymore you're a teenager now. Gross." (we were huge fans of Codename: Kids Next Door, a cartoon where teenagers are seen as the enemy ;D)

But by spring 2006 the skies started to clear up and the birds were chirping again. My sister was out of the hospital and my mom was back home too. We got a more spacious house in another neighbourhood, which meant I was going to be going to a high school where only a few of the people from my middle school were in. I also made my first 'friend', you could say. My sister's nurse and I became close and I finally had someone to talk to about stuff, I actually cried a lot when it was time for her to move on (but that was in 2007) ;D

It was a difficult year but it's 100% behind me and I'm happy about that. I wouldn't be as tough as nails like I am now if I didn't go through it ;)

tl;dr bullied at school, no friends, death in the family, another near-death in the family, hospital visits, depressed and suicidal family members, parents MIA, and having to raise a newborn baby :o

Same I got picked on for being short at my school which I still hate but I would brush it off my shoulder now and then.

Written By: Karioprkaj on 03/20/18 at 2:23 pm

2016. I hated that year.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/20/18 at 4:37 pm

1975 & 1988. Hard to say which one was the worst.

Cat

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/20/18 at 4:49 pm

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/20/18 at 4:54 pm

2002 (yes your birth year  ;) ;D) and 2007 were the worst years for me personally.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 03/21/18 at 5:07 pm

bullied at school, no friends, death in the family, another near-death in the family, hospital visits, depressed and suicidal family members, parents MIA, and having to raise a newborn baby :o

Aw man that's rough! Sorry you had to go through all that. Glad you've gotten through it though.

My least favorite year would probably be 2013 actually.

Written By: 2001 on 03/21/18 at 9:06 pm

Aw man that's rough! Sorry you had to go through all that. Glad you've gotten through it though.

My least favorite year would probably be 2013 actually.

I'm extremely impressed that you read it. ;D Thank you for that :)

I noticed that things went downhill in 2012/2013 for you.  :-\\

Written By: Lizardmatum on 03/22/18 at 6:56 am

I'm extremely impressed that you read it. ;D Thank you for that :)

I noticed that things went downhill in 2012/2013 for you.  :-\\

No problem! And yeah that is when my mental health had a nosedive unfortunately but I have gotten better in recent years thank goodness. :)

Written By: graciee on 03/22/18 at 2:43 pm

I did not like 2014 and 2016.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/22/18 at 2:45 pm

Wow, it's like we're the same.
I hated those two years as well, but even the awfulness  I had in 2014 doesn't compare with the awfulness I had in 2016. Now, pop culturally, it's the opposite. 2016 was far better than 2014.
2016 was the worst year of my life, with 2014 being right behind it.
I will always have a soft spot for 2015 though. That year was fun.

Written By: Wobo on 03/22/18 at 3:01 pm

IRYO,2014 was the last year of my core childhood.

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/22/18 at 3:04 pm

From each decade I've lived in,

1997;
2002;
2011;

Check for new replies or respond here...