inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2000s and 2010s differences thread.

Written By: Wobo on 03/25/18 at 4:47 pm

Post or name some difference between the 00s and 10s
Also I put it in the more than a decade subforum since it's both 2000s and 2010s.

I'll post some
Logo differences and Kids TV:

2010s:
https://s9.postimg.org/wy4y0n7kr/nickelodeon_600x305.jpg

https://s9.postimg.org/ofvhwb8rv/2000px-_Cartoon_Network_logo.svg.png

https://s9.postimg.org/xnnqd4aq3/1000px-2015_Disney_Channel_logo.svg.png

https://s9.postimg.org/72l7hl37v/Logo_Disney_XD.png

https://s9.postimg.org/mph286j2z/download.jpg

https://s9.postimg.org/i3kxzv04r/Nicktoons.png

https://s9.postimg.org/xcavdojjf/The_Hub_logo.png

https://s9.postimg.org/nezukn6sr/1280px-_Universal_Kids.svg.png

https://s9.postimg.org/wo20uyibf/download.png

2000s:
https://s9.postimg.org/3kdsylc6j/Nickelodeon_Splat_Logo_2004.png

https://s9.postimg.org/pjk7luy6j/2000px-_Cartoon_Network_2004_logo.svg.png

https://s9.postimg.org/y1tnqacfv/Disney_Channel_2002_alt.png

https://s9.postimg.org/5oy5zv8q3/1200px-_Toon_Disney.svg.png

https://s9.postimg.org/ejz0ai04b/4kids.jpg

https://s9.postimg.org/jwnuo5iqj/nicktoons_logo_2004_3d_splat_by_chalkbugs-db9bfw7.png
https://s9.postimg.org/ysmdvrhaj/Nicktoons_Network.png

https://s9.postimg.org/diyrl1bbf/KWB_Logo.png

https://s9.postimg.org/4nxxakjyz/Discovery_Kids_logo.png

https://s9.postimg.org/4b6j4h1q3/Jetix.png

Subject: Re: 2000s and 2010s differences thread.

Written By: Wobo on 03/25/18 at 5:50 pm

Bump

Written By: unicornic on 04/01/18 at 9:47 am

Here is one difference:
2000s: Emo
2010s: Hipster

Written By: d90 on 04/01/18 at 10:03 am

2010s:  many people can browse the web on their cell phones without having to pay a very expensive bill. Pokemon Go comes out in 2016 and puts VR games on the map. Smartphones are used more than Desktop computers

2000s: Cellphones with cameras become prevalent by 2005. Internet browsing on cell phones is very basic and expensive.
Iphones come out in 2007.

Written By: Balty Raven on 04/01/18 at 10:18 am

2000s: YouTube was actually enjoyable, Windows didn't force you to shutdown with unnecessary updates, phones were just used to make calls, and TV was just TV.

2010s: YouTube is an advertising mess, Windows 10 gives you crap, phones are made by Apple and are used to watch YouTube videos, and TV is just an advertisement to the Internet.

Written By: d90 on 04/01/18 at 10:37 am

2000s:  Internet was used to comment on traditional media

2010s:  The Internet is making traditional media obsolete

Written By: Dundee on 04/01/18 at 11:07 am

Changing from decade isn't that difficult! Look at this couple:

https://i0.wp.com/gypsy.ninja/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Before-And-After-This-Is-What-Happens-When-Emo-Kids-Grow-Up_1n7Jhwn.jpg?ssl=1

Written By: piecesof93 on 04/01/18 at 12:55 pm

***Music Related***

* 2000s: People had to listen to the radio/mixed cds to hear new songs.

2010s: People can wait for the radio to play new songs or chose to hear it first on a streaming service/YouTube 

* 2000s: Music artists generally, dropped two singles and then the full album. The singles (audio only) were almost always released before the video.

2010s: Many artists release 2-4 songs and then release the full  album. Many artists release the video and single at the same exact time. Meaning, there is no audio only release before the premiere of the video.

* 2000s: Artists typically released 3 singles, and promoted those singles with music videos, performances, and interviews before embarking on a World/Nationwide tour.

2010s: Nowadays many artist go on tour much earlier. This may be because touring is the best way to generate money. 

*2000s: Remixes to original songs were much more unique and complex. A remix features new instrumentals, lyrics, and sometimes arrangement of vocals.

2010s: A remix means to slap a rapper on the original song while adding nothing else new to the song.

*2000s: Artists tended to release 3 uptempo/midtempo singles leaving the 4th single to be slowtempo or a ballad. Even rappers.

2010s: I don't think it matters what order artists release the singles. I think many artists release a whole series of uptempo/midtempos without attempting to release a slowtempo.

* 2000s: Pirating music was at it's peak. Consumers bought albums and uploaded them to p2p sharing sites such as napster, kazza, limewire, mediafire, rapidshare, etc. We downloaded singles or full albums on these sites.

2010s: P2P sites are no longer needed to download music. Full albums are released for free on streaming sites and YouTube as an attempt to make artists more money. This makes it 100x easier for consumers to listen to music.

* 2000s: It was much more difficult for unsigned artists to release music that was accessible to the general public. One of the first artists to quote on quote become "famous from the internet" was the indie band Arctic Monkeys around 2005 . I believe fans uploaded their music to MySpace and as a result, caused their fan base to grow. This lead to a major label contract and the release of a few successful.mainstream singles.

2010s: Unsigned artist have a large variety of platforms to release music that is readily accessible to the public. We are exposed to an abundance of new music every single day.

*2000s: In the early 2000s, music videos were extremely important in promoting an artists music. We had shows like TRL, 106 & Park,  and Vh1 video countdown series. Videos from the early 2000s features a lot of graphics, were more creative, and a lot more expensive. If I recall correctly, Busta Rhymes said music videos were similar to creating films. Hype Williams was a very popular video director know for his unique touch and creativity.

2010s: Music videos are not as creative or alluring. I cannot name any standout video directors.

*2000s: Timberland, Jazzy Pha, Mannie Fresh, Nate Dogg, The Neptunes, DJ Screw, Scottstorch, Darkchild, Jermaime Dupri, Kanye West, Bryan-Michael Cox, Rich Harrison

2010s: DJ Mustard, DJ Khaled, DJ Snake, ??, ??,  ??

*2000s: Female MCs could release music simultaneously and still be successful. Missy Elliot, Eve, Lil Kim, Trina, Remy Ma, Rah Digga, Shawanna

*2010s: Apparently there can only be one queen at a time. At one point there was only Nicki, and now there's only Cardi B.

*2000s: The South's many subgenres of rap was more prevalent in mainstream music. There was Crunk music (Lil Jon, Ying Yang Twins, Lil Scrappy, Crime Mob),  Southern 'alternative' rap (Outkast, Cee-Lo, Nappy Roots, Field Mobb), Houston rappers/chopped and screwed movement (UKG, Slim Thug, Mike Jones, Lil Flip, Paul Wall), Atlanta's Snap Music (Dem Franchize Boyz, D4L, ), Trap music  (T.I., Young Jeezy, Young Dro)
Dallas' Boogie movement (Dorrough, Charlie Boy, Trai'D) and Louisiana rappers  (Birdman, Lil Wayne, Lil Boosie). All of these artists had unique sounds. It was a way of telling listeners where they came from.

2010s: Trap virtually alienates all other forms of Southern Hip-Hop in popular music.

*2000s: Underground music almost strictly underground. Hardcore music fans were probably made up the majority of underground listeners.

2010s: Underground music is easy to find. You no longer have to be a hardcore music fan to find alternatives to the mainstream. The word obscure is used very loosely now as many "obscure" bands/artists may have millions of views on YouTube even if their music is not played on radio.

Written By: Wobo on 04/01/18 at 1:00 pm

***Music Related***

* 2000s: People had to listen to the radio/mixed cds to hear new songs.

2010s: People can wait for the radio to play new songs or chose to hear it first on a streaming service/YouTube 

* 2000s: Music artists generally, dropped two singles and then the full album. The singles (audio only) were almost always released before the video.

2010s: Many artists release 2-4 songs and then release the full  album. Many artists release the video and single at the same exact time. Meaning, there is no audio only release before the premiere of the video.

* 2000s: Artists typically released 3 singles, and promoted those singles with music videos, performances, and interviews before embarking on a World/Nationwide tour.

2010s: Nowadays many artist go on tour much earlier. This may be because touring is the best way to generate money. 

*2000s: Remixes to original songs were much more unique and complex. A remix features new instrumentals, lyrics, and sometimes arrangement of vocals.

2010s: A remix means to slap a rapper on the original song while adding nothing else new to the song.

*2000s: Artists tended to release 3 uptempo/midtempo singles leaving the 4th single to be slowtempo or a ballad. Even rappers.

2010s: I don't think it matters what order artists release the singles. I think many artists release a whole series of uptempo/midtempos without attempting to release a slowtempo.

* 2000s: Pirating music was at it's peak. Consumers bought albums and uploaded them to p2p sharing sites such as napster, kazza, limewire, mediafire, rapidshare, etc. We downloaded singles or full albums on these sites.

2010s: P2P sites are no longer needed to download music. Full albums are released for free on streaming sites and YouTube as an attempt to make artists more money. This makes it 100x easier for consumers to listen to music.

* 2000s: It was much more difficult for unsigned artists to release music that was accessible to the general public. One of the first artists to quote on quote become "famous from the internet" was the indie band Arctic Monkeys around 2005 . I believe fans uploaded their music to MySpace and as a result, caused their fan base to grow. This lead to a major label contract and the release of a few successful.mainstream singles.

2010s: Unsigned artist have a large variety of platforms to release music that is readily accessible to the public. We are exposed to an abundance of new music every single day.

*2000s: In the early 2000s, music videos were extremely important in promoting an artists music. We had shows like TRL, 106 & Park,  and Vh1 video countdown series. Videos from the early 2000s features a lot of graphics, were more creative, and a lot more expensive. If I recall correctly, Busta Rhymes said music videos were similar to creating films. Hype Williams was a very popular video director know for his unique touch and creativity.

2010s: Music videos are not as creative or alluring. I cannot name any standout video directors.

*2000s: Timberland, Jazzy Pha, Mannie Fresh, Nate Dogg, The Neptunes, DJ Screw, Scottstorch, Darkchild, Jermaime Dupri, Kanye West, Bryan-Michael Cox, Rich Harrison

2010s: DJ Mustard, DJ Khaled, DJ Snake, ??, ??,  ??

*2000s: Female MCs could release music simultaneously and still be successful. Missy Elliot, Eve, Lil Kim, Trina, Remy Ma, Rah Digga, Shawanna

*2010s: Apparently there can only be one queen at a time. At one point there was only Nicki, and now there's only Cardi B.

*2000s: The South's many subgenres of rap was more prevalent in mainstream music. There was Crunk music (Lil Jon, Ying Yang Twins, Lil Scrappy, Crime Mob),  Southern 'alternative' rap (Outkast, Cee-Lo, Nappy Roots, Field Mobb), Houston rappers/chopped and screwed movement (UKG, Slim Thug, Mike Jones, Lil Flip, Paul Wall), Atlanta's Snap Music (Dem Franchize Boyz, D4L, ), Trap music  (T.I., Young Jeezy, Young Dro)
Dallas' Boogie movement (Dorrough, Charlie Boy, Trai'D) and Louisiana rappers  (Birdman, Lil Wayne, Lil Boosie). All of these artists had unique sounds. It was a way of telling listeners where they came from.

2010s: Trap virtually alienates all other forms of Southern Hip-Hop in popular music.

*2000s: Underground music almost strictly underground. Hardcore music fans were probably made up the majority of underground listeners.

2010s: Underground music is easy to find. You no longer have to be a hardcore music fan to find alternatives to the mainstream. The word obscure is used very loosely now as many "obscure" bands/artists may have millions of views on YouTube even if their music is not played on radio.

2010s: DJ Khaled,Drake,Kendrick Lamar,J-Cole,Logic, Future,Migos,21 Savage,Earl Sweatshirt,Tyler the Creator,Asap Rocky,Rick Ross.

Written By: piecesof93 on 04/01/18 at 1:10 pm

2010s: DJ Khaled,Drake,Kendrick Lamar,J-Cole,Logic, Future,Migos,21 Savage,Earl Sweatshirt,Tyler the Creator,Asap Rocky,Rick Ross.

Thanks. I didn't know Future, Migos, and 21 Savages were producers as well. However, I was listing producers who generally produce more than they rap. I included Kanye on there because he's been producing for a very long time. He produced for several artists before breaking out into the mainstream as a rapper.

Written By: Dundee on 04/03/18 at 9:41 am

2003 song:
6rgStv12dwA

2015 remix:
bvC_0foemLY

I think it these two songs exemplify well the difference in «popular sound». What do you think?

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 04/04/18 at 5:51 pm

Here's a comment I left on a Personality Cafe thread that relates to this.
For anyone curious to see the original thread I posted it on;
personalitycafe.com/generations/1216634-similarities-differences-between-2000s-2010s.html

lol how old are you? Did you even experience the 00s, especially the early-mid 00s?

Smartphones sure as hell weren't common in the late 00s, they were very expensive, and they came out around the time of the Recession. Smartphone adoption rates in the US didn't hit 50% until 2012.

Technologically speaking, the 00s were a lot more like the 90s than they were like the 10s.
For more than 75% of the decade, CRT TVs were the standard television sets in American homes, it wasn't until Late 2007 when LCD TVs surpassed CRTs in unit share. Throughout the entire 6th Gaming Generation into the early part of the 7th Gaming Generation, composite video was the standard video format for video games, controllers were still wired, and online gaming was still gaining momentum and hadn't truly taken off yet.
Also, the 00s was the last decade of physical media's dominance in the market. The standard music format was CD, and the standard movie format was DVD (and even VHS in the very early 00s).
In the 10s, the standard for both music and movies is through digital streaming, that's why Blockbuster and many record stores went out of business.

Even the internet was different.
For half of the 00s (2000-2004), the majority of Americans used the internet through a dial up connection, browsing the internet was way slower, and you couldn't use the internet and home phone simultaneously.
By 2005, broadband had taken over, and social networking was starting to take off. But even then, social networking in the 00s was nothing like it is today. The most popular social networking site in the 00s was MySpace, which was really only used by teens in middle and high school, it wasn't like today where everyone of all ages uses social networking. Facebook and Twitter didn't get really big until 2009, and Instagram didn't even exist at all in the 00s, as it began in 2010.

The music of the 00s was more similar to the 90s than the 10s because it was still when alternative rock had dominance in the mainstream.
The Emo/Scene fashion of the 00s I'd also say is more similar to the Grunge/Skater fashion of the 90s than the Hipster/SJW fashion of the 10s as well.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/04/18 at 6:12 pm

2000s: YouTube was actually enjoyable, Windows didn't force you to shutdown with unnecessary updates, phones were just used to make calls, and TV was just TV.

The bolded is not true.  You might be too young to remember Vista.  Windows 10 is a breeze comparatively.

Written By: piecesof93 on 04/04/18 at 7:06 pm

The bolded is not true.  You might be too young to remember Vista.  Windows 10 is a breeze comparatively.

Vista sucked.

Written By: Wobo on 04/04/18 at 8:09 pm

Here's a comment I left on a Personality Cafe thread that relates to this.
For anyone curious to see the original thread I posted it on;
personalitycafe.com/generations/1216634-similarities-differences-between-2000s-2010s.html

lol how old are you? Did you even experience the 00s, especially the early-mid 00s?

Smartphones sure as hell weren't common in the late 00s, they were very expensive, and they came out around the time of the Recession. Smartphone adoption rates in the US didn't hit 50% until 2012.

Technologically speaking, the 00s were a lot more like the 90s than they were like the 10s.
For more than 75% of the decade, CRT TVs were the standard television sets in American homes, it wasn't until Late 2007 when LCD TVs surpassed CRTs in unit share. Throughout the entire 6th Gaming Generation into the early part of the 7th Gaming Generation, composite video was the standard video format for video games, controllers were still wired, and online gaming was still gaining momentum and hadn't truly taken off yet.
Also, the 00s was the last decade of physical media's dominance in the market. The standard music format was CD, and the standard movie format was DVD (and even VHS in the very early 00s).
In the 10s, the standard for both music and movies is through digital streaming, that's why Blockbuster and many record stores went out of business.

Even the internet was different.
For half of the 00s (2000-2004), the majority of Americans used the internet through a dial up connection, browsing the internet was way slower, and you couldn't use the internet and home phone simultaneously.
By 2005, broadband had taken over, and social networking was starting to take off. But even then, social networking in the 00s was nothing like it is today. The most popular social networking site in the 00s was MySpace, which was really only used by teens in middle and high school, it wasn't like today where everyone of all ages uses social networking. Facebook and Twitter didn't get really big until 2009, and Instagram didn't even exist at all in the 00s, as it began in 2010.

The music of the 00s was more similar to the 90s than the 10s because it was still when alternative rock had dominance in the mainstream.
The Emo/Scene fashion of the 00s I'd also say is more similar to the Grunge/Skater fashion of the 90s than the Hipster/SJW fashion of the 10s as well.

2004 gotta problem?

Written By: Dundee on 04/04/18 at 8:12 pm

Yeah, I fully agree. I had MUCH more problems with petulent updates under Vista than 10.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 04/04/18 at 8:13 pm

2004 gotta problem?

That comment wasn't aimed at you. It was copy and pasted from a thread I commented on in Personality Cafe.

Written By: Wobo on 04/04/18 at 8:19 pm

That comment wasn't aimed at you. It was copy and pasted from a thread I commented on in Personality Cafe.

Oh i apologize.

Written By: Dundee on 04/04/18 at 8:22 pm

I've read the OP, and there was one point that really confused me: «When did Grime become mainstream?? ???»

Written By: 2001 on 04/04/18 at 8:50 pm

2000s: cargo shorts
2010s: skinny jeans

I'm happy I spent my 20s in this decade lol.

Written By: wixness on 04/05/18 at 6:51 am

Changing from decade isn't that difficult! Look at this couple:

https://i0.wp.com/gypsy.ninja/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Before-And-After-This-Is-What-Happens-When-Emo-Kids-Grow-Up_1n7Jhwn.jpg?ssl=1

We gotta go back

Written By: Balty Raven on 04/05/18 at 9:43 am

I'm 18 and I had two computers that ran Windows Vista and they weren't really as bad as people said. Especially when I used them for 3 years and I didn't have any problems. In fact, it only screwed up because I downloaded a virus that would immediately cause the Blue Screen of Death to happen every time you start up. Windows 10 had people installing updates in the middle of their work when the OS was released and it pissed a lot of people off. Here's an example of what I mean.

https://thenextweb.com/shareables/2016/05/05/microsofts-windows-10-updates-shut-pro-gamers-live-stream-130k-viewers/

Check for new replies or respond here...