inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did you enjoy middle school?

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/29/18 at 11:22 pm

I have this assumption that most people do not enjoy middle school. It seems to be an awkward time for most preteens/teens.

Personally, I didn't really enjoy it. My elementary and high school years were much better. It was basically a waste of time for me.

Subject: Re: Did you enjoy middle school?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/29/18 at 11:25 pm

I have this assumption that most people do not enjoy middle school. It seems to be an awkward time for most preteens/teens.

Personally, I didn't really enjoy it. My elementary and high school years were much better. It was basically a waste of time for me.

I agree with this.

I was in middle school during the early 2010s (September 2010 until June 2013). My middle school years mostly sucked and I don't want to relive those times.

There were some good moments and I do like a lot of music and video games from that time but still...NOPE, I'm glad that I will never have to be in middle school again.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/29/18 at 11:27 pm

Yeah not that much, I liked high school better.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/29/18 at 11:34 pm

With the exception of 7th grade, middle school was mostly a living hell for me.

6th grade was awkward because it was the transition from elementary to middle school. I really didn't feel like I was in my childhood anymore because I was already in middle school, but it didn't help that my age didn't end in "teen" so many people still saw me as a child. I was very new to the middle school and was lost in finding my classes. Sometimes, the 8th graders would even complain about us and say that we were annoying

However, 7th grade was when I made new friends, and it was a pretty fun year. I was no longer a newbie to the school anymore. We had a party in the gym at the end of the school year and I was hanging out and dancing with friends. It was an absolute blast. I will always have a soft spot for 7th grade.

8th grade was by far the worst. We were forced to do ballroom dancing unless it was against your religion, and we had to perform it. And if we didn't go to the performance, you had to write a long essay on all the dances, which was BS IMO. I wasn't in the mood to find a dress to wear,  so I just wore a dress and I really didn't style myself up too much or anything. During this time, I was having a really bad problem with my excessively sweaty hands, and I was really scared and insecure to do ballroom dancing. So I had my sleeves on my hands as I was practicing. Eventually, it didn't become a problem as we practiced more, but I still very much hated it

I will always have a soft spot for late 2016 as that was when I started high school. It was such a huge improvement over early-mid 2016 and I felt much happier. I feel a lot better in high school, to be honest.

Written By: 2001 on 03/29/18 at 11:46 pm

Didn't you say 2004/2005 were your favourite years? :thinking:

And no, middle school was awful. The kids were mean and immature, trying to act older than they weren't and doing a bad job at it.

I did enjoy Grade 6 though. I was at a K-8 school, so Grade 6 didn't feel much different from being Grade 5 (except everyone going through puberty and all), so it was an extended childhood ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/29/18 at 11:48 pm

And no, middle school was awful. The kids were mean and immature, trying to act older than they weren't and doing a bad job at it.

I did enjoy Grade 6 though. I was at a K-8 school, so Grade 6 didn't feel much different from being Grade 5 (except everyone going through puberty and all), so it was an extended childhood ;D

The part I bolded is what makes middle school so terrible 8-P.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/29/18 at 11:49 pm

The part I bolded is what makes middle school so terrible 8-P.

I agree 100%.

Written By: Wobo on 03/29/18 at 11:51 pm

I'm in the 8th grade and I'm out in 2 months and middle school sucked I hate it,hated everyone,hated the assholes. Just hated it I'm praying for highschool to be better.

Written By: 2001 on 03/29/18 at 11:53 pm

I'm in the 8th grade and I'm out in 2 months and middle school sucked I hate it,hated everyone,hated the assholes. Just hated it I'm praying for highschool to be better.

It gets slightly better in Grade 9, but only marginally (at least for me). From Grade 10 onwards the kids become alright, just don't hang out with the wrong crowd, and take the most difficult classes so you only ever have to talk to smart people lol.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/29/18 at 11:54 pm

It gets slightly better in Grade 9, but only marginally (at least for me). From Grade 10 onwards the kids become alright, just don't hang out with the wrong crowd, and take the most difficult classes so you only ever have to talk to smart people lol.

THIS^^^

Wobotnik2004, listen to Slowpoke's advice.

Written By: Wobo on 03/29/18 at 11:55 pm

It's not just that it's the inconsiderate evil children that roam the halls.

Written By: Wobo on 03/29/18 at 11:55 pm

THIS^^^

Wobotnik2004, listen to Slowpoke's advice.

Yeah that's why I know highschool will be better.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/29/18 at 11:57 pm

Yeah that's why I know highschool will be better.

My first year of high school was an absolute blast, 100000x better than 8th grade. I already wish it were May 2017 again.  ;D But I still try and enjoy high school while I can though.

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/29/18 at 11:58 pm

That doesn't mean I enjoyed middle school lol. Actually, I do have some good memories from junior high. It was just subpar compared to high school. I loved 2004/2005 outside of school :D
I also believe if I had chosen to attend a different school, my experience would've been more positive.

You pretty much summarized the behavior of a typical middle school kid.  ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/29/18 at 11:58 pm

https://img.memecdn.com/middle-school-sucks_o_904346.jpg

Written By: Wobo on 03/29/18 at 11:59 pm

Anyways Early 2017 seems nostalgic as I was in 7th grade that year and 7th grade had been the only year I slightly liked.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/30/18 at 12:00 am

https://img.memecdn.com/middle-school-sucks_o_904346.jpg

Literally this. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Wobo on 03/30/18 at 12:03 am

Another reason why middle school sucks don't get me started on the people who stand in the hallways when I'm trying to get to class even the girls who walk in horizontally packs with their friends blocking the hallway and it pisses me off so much.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/30/18 at 12:04 am

This was me 90% of time in middle school:

https://images3.memedroid.com/images/UPLOADED124/56fef60083266.jpeg

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/30/18 at 12:05 am

Another reason why middle school sucks don't get me started on the people who stand in the hallways when I'm trying to get to class even the girls who walk in horizontally packs with their friends blocking the hallway and it pisses me off so much.

That's how it was in my freshmen year of high school as well. Everyone just somehow thought that the hallways were a place to hang out and were just standing there and talking as if nobody was walking and trying to get to their class on time. It was definitely annoying.

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/30/18 at 12:05 am

This was me 90% of time in middle school:

https://images3.memedroid.com/images/UPLOADED124/56fef60083266.jpeg

True af.  ;D

Written By: piecesof93 on 03/30/18 at 12:08 am

I was flabbergasted when they took away recess.  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 03/30/18 at 12:10 am

I was flabbergasted when they took away recess.  ::)

My middle school had this dumb system where we'd get 20 minutes break between each class. It was too short to do anything, even eat since I'm a slow eater lol (takes me 30 minutes to eat a big cookie from a café lol)

Written By: Wobo on 03/30/18 at 12:11 am

My school had this dumb system where we'd get 20 minutes break between each class. It was too short to do anything, even eat since I'm a slow eater lol (takes me 30 minutes to eat a big cookie from a café lol)

We'd usually get recess during the rest of lunch and return back to our classes after.

Written By: 2001 on 03/30/18 at 12:15 am

We'd usually get recess during the rest of lunch and return back to our classes after.

In high school I had one 70 minute lunch break instead which was the best. I lived 10 minutes away from home (even less by bike) so me and my friends could go to my house for lunch and play some Mêlée or Mario Strikers or something :D

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 03/30/18 at 12:17 am

Middle school (and late elementary) was absolute hell. I got bullied a lot, put up with a lot of peer pressure, everyone thought they were funny or cool and tried to get a rise out of everyone, nobody could be taken as a trusted friend.
This mostly happened during 6th-7th grade, but 8th grade sucked too, because the 6th graders at the time (whom are seniors now) were annoying as hell, I even contemplated bringing a Windex bottle to school to spray them away, hell even the 7th graders whom were only a grade below me were annoying too.
Freshman year of high school was a breath of fresh air. Sure, being that we were freshmen, we experienced a lot of playful teasing from the upperclassmen, but it was far better than being an 8th grader getting constantly annoyed by sixlets and sevvies.

Written By: Wobo on 03/30/18 at 12:18 am

In high school I had one 70 minute lunch break instead which was the best. I lived 10 minutes away from home (even less by bike) so me and my friends could go to my house for lunch and play some Mêlée or Mario Strikers or something :D

I love me some melee.  :D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/30/18 at 12:18 am

Some more middle school memes:

https://pics.me.me/when-youre-on-a-field-trip-in-middle-school-dibewbz-11857311.png

Written By: Wobo on 03/30/18 at 12:21 am

https://pics.me.me/when-youre-on-a-field-trip-in-middle-school-dibewbz-11857311.png

Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys  ;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 03/30/18 at 12:36 am

https://twitter.com/4middleschool

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 03/30/18 at 12:40 am

https://twitter.com/4middleschool

Salute! http://www.thecoli.com/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/aqDwC.png

Written By: violet_shy on 03/30/18 at 7:09 am

Well, I enjoyed my last year of Middle school which was 8th grade. I started 8th grade in 1993 and graduated in 1994. Best school year I ever had!

Written By: wixness on 03/30/18 at 9:45 am

Nope. Scared of teachers being angry. Also made me realise that people raised in religious backgrounds ended up being rather vapid in their interests and some of their inclinations (I was in a Christian multi-denominational school).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/30/18 at 12:45 pm

No!

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 03/30/18 at 2:12 pm

For me, it wasn't called middle school - I was in "Elementary" in 6th grade (1970-71) and "Junior High" in 7th/8th grade (1971-1973).

These years were definitely a mixed bag for me - overall more bad than good.  I went through a school change between 6th and 7th grades (relocated to a different state).  7th grade wasn't too terrible; both 6th grade and 8th grade were rough, although the circumstances were different.  In 6th grade I didn't have many friends, my school was bad discipline-wise, we had a teacher who paddled us with a wooden paddle  :o  and the atmosphere wasn't set up to succeed.  What a waste.  In 7th grade I was the "new kid" and able to make some friends pretty quickly, I liked the teachers better and I learned some stuff.  So it was an improvement.  However the new school also had discipline problems and I like to learn so that wasn't good.  Plus gym class was annoying.  In 8th grade gym class was still the pits, some of my friends turned on me, I got different teachers that were worse, and I hated the lunchroom.  I never want to go back to that.

On the other hand, the pop culture of that time, especially the music, was amazing!

Written By: Dr. Mario on 03/31/18 at 3:34 pm

The only year I enjoyed during middle school was 8th grade. It was academically and socially my easiest year. I had fun with my friends during that year. 6th grade was the worst, but I'll go into that later.

Written By: Balty Raven on 03/31/18 at 5:44 pm

I somewhat enjoyed being with my friends during 6th and 7th grade. But when 8th grade came, it was a pain in the ass and I hated almost every single day of it. It was also where I felt depressed because I felt like crap due to my low self-confidence at the time. This was a similar time a couple months ago, but it wasn't as bad as 8th grade.

Written By: prodanny288 on 03/31/18 at 9:30 pm

Heck no. Middle school was the worst years of my life. I got severely bullied for the way I dressed, and I was in an awkward stage between childhood and adolescence. I felt insecure and depressed. My mother became harder and stricter on me with my school work. She’d ground me if I didn’t study or do homework. I was arguing with her more and more everyday. I lost friends I had in elementary school because I distanced myself from people while I had a mental breakdown. Terrible years. Today hasn’t gotten any much better.

Written By: Balty Raven on 04/01/18 at 12:19 pm

Heck no. Middle school was the worst years of my life. I got severely bullied for the way I dressed, and I was in an awkward stage between childhood and adolescence. I felt insecure and depressed. My mother became harder and stricter on me with my school work. She’d ground me if I didn’t study or do homework. I was arguing with her more and more everyday. I lost friends I had in elementary school because I distanced myself from people while I had a mental breakdown. Terrible years. Today hasn’t gotten any much better.

I had a similar experience with middle school, except I felt like crap every time I went there before I graduated. Everyone was annoying as hell and I felt really lonely since there wasn't really anybody that I could socialize with. Not to mention that I had an awful teacher who kept yelling at me for doing crap.

Written By: graciee on 04/06/18 at 10:59 pm

I did not enjoy 6th. I enjoyed 7th and 8th! I have made new friends. My teachers were very nice.

Written By: ofkx on 04/08/18 at 9:04 am

No, it was awkward and I had issues. High school is a hundred times better than middle school.

Written By: mjstudios97 on 04/08/18 at 11:13 am

I actually liked middle school, but disliked it during the school hours. It was the after school hours I had there that I enjoyed more. My parents were both working, and me being reluctant to make the walk home from school which would have been an hour's walk or taking the school bus home, just decided to sign up for the school's program they had after classes. I was there from the first day of 6th to the last day of 7th grade.

Although, the main problem that I had in middle school was that I became socially mute in 7th grade so that was something that went on for a while. It was a weird phase that went on for a while.

I hated my experience more so on the fact that I was so socially awkward and pessimistic at the time, but I really loved staying after school and even if I was a mute, I made some friends and they were so open to me. I had a little white board that I wrote on and we always used it to communicate back and forth. I was like the mime in my class, all the teachers at first were weirded out by it and contacted my parents who of course were very frustrated with me, but I couldn't help it. I was prescribed Prozac tablets that my mother immediately stopped me on because she became paranoid about what I was putting into my body. She said it was something that will come to pass in small steps. She was really patient with me.

I was just so awkward, and shy but at times though I wasn't really shy, I was extroverted... it's just that my voice would just not come out because of anxiety but I know I wasn't shy at all.

I was also a simple-minded person too and I didn't really follow on all the trends and fashion. I just wore the same jacket and some jogging pants everyday and the same pair of old sketchers shoes with an unkempt hair. I never practiced self care that much.

It was nice hanging out with friends during the school grounds. Yeah, and then in 8th grade I became rebellious and ditched the after school program on so many occasions, and they got so fed up with me and called my parents who were of course most definitely angry about it at the time. I think then the staff there thought of me as a delinquent sometimes, but a lot of the staff changed out by that time, and it wasn't really the same for me as it was in 6th-7th-- and I didn't really want to hang out with 6th and 7th graders.

I really just wanted to hang out with my friends in the teachers' classrooms. I was a teacher's pet too so they would sometimes let me in during their office hours. I always messed around with the band kids too who were also on the grounds after school, and I had a little squad going on with about 10-15 of us and we had like a little study group that we had all the time in math class after school. Good times.

Written By: nally on 04/08/18 at 10:20 pm

Well, it is the time in a kid's life that they enter their teenage years... so it could be considered "awkward" in a sense depending on one's point of view.

There were things about it that I didn't enjoy either, such as being picked on by other kids (it seems kids tend to be rather cruel at that age). However, I did enjoy other aspects, such as certain classes. (In fact, when I was in the 8th grade, my math class was Algebra One, which I seemed to enjoy. Moreover, NO kids in that class were mean; in fact all of them treated me with respect.)

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/10/18 at 9:28 am

I sucked through all of my years in school just, the era was good and I was really better off as a freshman. I was the butt of the joke before then. I was the center source because I wanted to be that, not how I wanted to be.

I finally became a badass accidentally by my sophomore year in 08 until I graduated in 2010.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/10/18 at 12:21 pm

Middle School for me was ok. My Middle School years were interesting because I was only at my Middle School for 2 years instead of the usual 3 because of the school district I was in decided to change the grade levels for middle school from 7-9 to 6-8. My 6th grade year was when I moved to NC, so I was still in Elementary that year (before the school district change the grade levels) it was fun I still felt like a kid even though I was going thru puberty, then 7th grade I started middle school which was ok I made a couple of friends and was really getting into hip-hop, 8th grade was when I started noticing the kids I hung out with go down the wrong path, but it didn't really bothered me since I was always a homebody anyway once I got to High School that's when I started to really feel socially akward.  The grade levels in my district are Elementary K-5 Middle 6-8 and High 9-12 where as before it was Elementary K-3, Elementary again 4-6, Middle 7-9 and High 10-12.

Written By: GH1996 on 04/10/18 at 3:47 pm

6th grade was alright, but i think out of all my years in school 7th & 8th grade were the best for me..

I went to a large middle school with almost 900 students, 6th grade was a little different since i previously went to an elementary school that had about 150 kids in to this massive school with kids from all around the district, took me a while to get to know all these new people.

by 7th grade i already had made a load of new friends, 8th grade was the same and i was feeling pretty comfortable and had my first girlfriend which is kind of a weird story (long story short: her mom & my mom were best friends back in the 70's, my mom moved to a small town way up north where they met, anyways they both moved away later from the town and wrote each other and lost touch until i started to go out with her daughter & my mom dropped me off at her place and wanted to meet her mom & they hadn't seen each other for years)

End of 8th grade i had my girlfriend, there were 4 high schools in the area & i was stuck in between 2 of them (one was well known for sports & the other was brand new, lacked sports but all my friends were going including my girlfriend) anyways i chose the dumpy old school with sports over the new one, lost my girlfriend haha, but pretty much went alone to this school along with 3 other friends of mine..

Written By: mqg96 on 04/10/18 at 4:00 pm

No, these were terrible years for my personal life and pop culturally it was puberty time from the 2000's to 2010's. None of that helped at all. 6th grade was by far the worst grade of middle school because there were so many growing pains and the peer pressure was so high. 6th grade was the most I ever got bullied throughout my K-12 years. I was introduced to a whole new environment and I was already missing elementary school so badly throughout that year, and my 6th grade teachers were the meanest, most stubborn ever.

7th grade is not far behind, I still got bullied some (especially on the track team) but not as much as 6th grade. I believe 7th grade had the most drama and the most derogatory jokes, since it was the peak of middle school. Ages 12 and 13, the line between kid and teenager are the peak disaster ages of immaturity in school. I was very immature too. Brainwashed from 6th grade. 7th grade had all your favorite douches or bitches.

8th grade was the least worst, still not perfect, but at the same time 8th grade was my favorite grade in middle school because by then everybody was a bit more mature and I made the most friends out of my middle school years throughout this grade. After 8th grade ended everybody was crying since we were separated to different high schools. I have a lot of positive memories about 8th grade and some negative ones. 80% of middle school was bad for me. 20% of the good all came from 8th grade. The best music and the best pop culture IMO came from 8th grade as well (2009-2010). Summer 2010 was a perfect follow up after middle school then starting high school later that year.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/10/18 at 5:15 pm

No, these were terrible years for my personal life and pop culturally it was puberty time from the 2000's to 2010's. None of that helped at all. 6th grade was by far the worst grade of middle school because there were so many growing pains and the peer pressure was so high. 6th grade was the most I ever got bullied throughout my K-12 years. I was introduced to a whole new environment and I was already missing elementary school so badly throughout that year, and my 6th grade teachers were the meanest, most stubborn ever.

7th grade is not far behind, I still got bullied some (especially on the track team) but not as much as 6th grade. I believe 7th grade had the most drama and the most derogatory jokes, since it was the peak of middle school. Ages 12 and 13, the line between kid and teenager are the peak disaster ages of immaturity in school. I was very immature too. Brainwashed from 6th grade. 7th grade had all your favorite douches or bitches.

8th grade was the least worst, still not perfect, but at the same time 8th grade was my favorite grade in middle school because by then everybody was a bit more mature and I made the most friends out of my middle school years throughout this grade. After 8th grade ended everybody was crying since we were separated to different high schools. I have a lot of positive memories about 8th grade and some negative ones. 80% of middle school was bad for me. 20% of the good all came from 8th grade. The best music and the best pop culture IMO came from 8th grade as well (2009-2010). Summer 2010 was a perfect follow up after middle school then starting high school later that year.
Wow man! I was bullied to in 7th grade but I didn't really let it phased me but the kid who builled got in suspended for not showing up something but he blamed me for it which is bullcrap. Reading your post it's no wonder your so cool. I swear we could be friends in real life.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/10/18 at 5:31 pm

Wow man! I was bullied to in 7th grade but I didn't really let it phased me but the kid who builled got in suspended for not showing up something but he blamed me for it which is bullcrap. Reading your post it's no wonder your so cool. I swear we could be friends in real life.

;D I feel this way about some other folks on this forum too! Such as ZeldaFan20, NerdyGamer, and Eric. Are you big into sports? College Football and NFL are my favorite. The NBA I follow casually. (and I know black folks get pissed off about this, but that's just me, I'm a Madden guy over 2K!) Atlanta sports teams FTW!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/18 at 5:39 pm

;D I feel this way about some other folks on this forum too! Such as ZeldaFan20, NerdyGamer, and Eric. Are you big into sports? College Football and NFL are my favorite. The NBA I follow casually. (and I know black folks get pissed off about this, but that's just me, I'm a Madden guy over 2K!) Atlanta sports teams FTW!

I know I'm not mwalker1996 but anyways...

I watch the NFL and NBA. I only occasionally watch college football though. I did watch the National Championship earlier this year and I was cheering for Georgia but....they choked.

I'm a NY sports fan through and through (Giants, Yankees, Knicks, Rangers, NYC FC) even though most of our teams suck.

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/10/18 at 5:42 pm

I can totally relate to both of you. If you had a kickass middle school arc, you took the ass out of kick and had it since then.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/10/18 at 5:47 pm

I know I'm not mwalker1996 but anyways...

I watch the NFL and NBA. I only occasionally watch college football though. I did watch the National Championship earlier this year and I was cheering for Georgia but....they choked.

I'm a NY sports fan through and through (Giants, Yankees, Knicks, Rangers, NYC FC) even though most of our teams suck.

The Georgia sports curse is real af. The Falcons and Dawgs, not ONE of them could finish it out against the dynasty football teams of this era known as the Patriots and Alabama. On the opposite side, Clemson got it done against Alabama the year before to end their 35 year drought and the Eagles got it done against the Patriots recently to end their drought. No excuses. I continue to bang my head over and over again.

College football is a RELIGION in the south, especially when it comes to the SEC teams. Tradition and generations that go all the way back. Clemson and Florida State are the top ACC schools. Miami is trying to get back up there but they were independent back in their hey dey. Ohio State is obiviously the king of the BIG TEN while Penn State is getting back up there too. The PAC 12 has USC, and f**k Notre Dame. I could bring up a huge college football discussion but it's too long. Since you live in New York I can understand why you didn't get into college football.

Written By: nally on 04/10/18 at 5:51 pm

Middle School for me was ok. My Middle School years were interesting because I was only at my Middle School for 2 years instead of the usual 3 because of the school district I was in decided to change the grade levels for middle school from 7-9 to 6-8.

The same happened with me.

When I was in the 6th grade, that was during the 1991-92 year, when most elementary schools still had grade 6, and junior high still had the 7-8-9 lineup in most cases.

So when I started 7th grade, I was in the "middle of middle school"; that school adopted the 6-7-8 lineup for the 1992-93 year (and every year thereafter). However, we still used the terms "junior high" and "middle school" interchangeably, although I used to think at first that 7-8-9 referred to junior high and 6-7-8 referred to middle school.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/18 at 5:52 pm

The Georgia sports curse is real af. The Falcons and Dawgs, not ONE of them could finish it out against the dynasty football teams of this era known as the Patriots and Alabama. On the opposite side, Clemson got it done against Alabama the year before to end their 35 year drought and the Eagles got it done against the Patriots recently to end their drought. No excuses. I continue to bang my head over and over again.

Yep, you got it exactly right. Even I'm hurt by it, lol.

College football is a RELIGION in the south, especially when it comes to the SEC teams. Tradition and generations that go all the way back. Clemson and Florida State are the top ACC schools. Miami is trying to get back up there but they were independent back in their hey dey. Ohio State is obiviously the king of the BIG TEN while Penn State is getting back up there too. The PAC 12 has USC, and f**k Notre Dame. I could bring up a huge college football discussion but it's too long. Since you live in New York I can understand why you didn't get into college football.

Oh, you didn't have to tell me all of that. I already know a good amount about college football.

I just don't watch it often :P.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/10/18 at 5:56 pm

The same happened with me.

When I was in the 6th grade, that was during the 1991-92 year, when most elementary schools still had grade 6, and junior high still had the 7-8-9 lineup in most cases.

So when I started 7th grade, I was in the "middle of middle school"; that school adopted the 6-7-8 lineup for the 1992-93 year (and every year thereafter). However, we still used the terms "junior high" and "middle school" interchangeably, although I used to think at first that 7-8-9 referred to junior high and 6-7-8 referred to middle school.

Looking back I wish elementary school was extended to 6th grade like the old days. 11 & 12 year old's are not ready for that level yet IMO, and that's from my experience. 6th graders are still very little with high pitched (kiddy voices) unlike 8th graders, and you're not a teen yet. They force you to grow so fast by the time you're 11 years old. 6th graders should still be on the playground IMO. This is why our 4th & 5th grade teachers were so hard on us giving us a lot of homework and reducing our recess time because they wanted to "prepare us for the big stage", and I go to 6th grade and it's the easiest grade ever when it came to work, but the toughest grade ever emotionally. They really should have worried about preparing us for the peer pressure and all the haters we were going to face.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/18 at 6:11 pm

So when I started 7th grade, I was in the "middle of middle school"; that school adopted the 6-7-8 lineup for the 1992-93 year (and every year after that). However, we still used the terms "junior high" and "middle school" interchangeably, although I used to think at first that 7-8-9 referred to junior high and 6-7-8 referred to middle school.
Me 3!  The former middle school I attended still had the term Jr. high behind the name of the school, but the grades were 6-8.

I wish elementary school were extended to 6th grade like the old days Looking back. 11 & 12 years old's are not ready for that level yet IMO, and that's from my experience. 6th graders are still very little with high pitched (kiddy voices) unlike 8th graders, and you're not a teen yet. They force you to grow so fast by the time you're 11 years old. 6th graders should still be on the playground IMO. These things are why our 4th & 5th-grade teachers were so hard on us giving us a lot of homework and reducing our recess time. They wanted to "prepare us for the big stage," and I go to 6th grade and it's the easiest grade ever when it came to classwork, but the toughest grade ever emotionally. They really should have worried about preparing us for the peer pressure and all the haters we were going to face.
It depends on the district. There are some middle schools out there that start at 5th and 7th grade rather than the 6th and end at 8th or 9th.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 04/10/18 at 6:36 pm

Looking back I wish elementary school was extended to 6th grade like the old days. 11 & 12 year old's are not ready for that level yet IMO, and that's from my experience. 6th graders are still very little with high pitched (kiddy voices) unlike 8th graders, and you're not a teen yet. They force you to grow so fast by the time you're 11 years old. 6th graders should still be on the playground IMO. This is why our 4th & 5th grade teachers were so hard on us giving us a lot of homework and reducing our recess time because they wanted to "prepare us for the big stage", and I go to 6th grade and it's the easiest grade ever when it came to work, but the toughest grade ever emotionally. They really should have worried about preparing us for the peer pressure and all the haters we were going to face.

I agree, 11 is too young to be starting middle school.
I also think 5 is too young to be starting elementary school. Deskwork is too straining for kids at that age where they haven't even reached concrete operational stage yet. Over in Finland, they start at age 7, and they have one of the best education systems in the world over there.
I also think 18 is too young for graduation. I'm 20, and don't think I've learned enough in high school. I've only gone to college for a certificate, because a bachelor's is too damn expensive. Many say college should be free, but I personally think that 19 and possibly even 20 should still be in a revamped high school system. Even Finland has high school graduation at 19 instead of 18, and as stated before, their education system is far superior.

Here's how I think the US school system should be revamped;

Play School
Age 3-7
No desk work. The only thing kids are taught is social skills with other kids, as well as to be nice and play fair.

Elementary School
Year 1 - age 7-8
Year 2 - age 8-9
Year 3 - age 9-10
Year 4 - age 10-11
Year 5 - age 11-12
Year 6 - age 12-13

Secondary School
Year 7 - age 13-14
Year 8 - age 14-15
Year 9 - age 15-16

High School
Year 10 - age 16-17
Year 11 - age 17-18
Year 12 - age 18-19
Year 13 - age 19-20

Also with this revamped school system, I think the timespans for summer and winter break should be changed.
Instead of summer break being 10 weeks and winter break being only 2, they should both equally be 6 weeks. Therefore, summer break isn't too long, and winter break isn't too short.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/10/18 at 7:30 pm

I'm not big into sports but I do occasionally watch NBA (usually during the playoffs), I don't watch NFL otherthan the Superbowl, but I see we have simlar taste in music from the older posts I read from you.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 04/10/18 at 7:34 pm

I also think 5 is too young to be starting elementary school. Deskwork is too straining for kids at that age where they haven't even reached concrete operational stage yet. Over in Finland, they start at age 7, and they have one of the best education systems in the world over there.
I also think 18 is too young for graduation. I'm 20, and don't think I've learned enough in high school. I've only gone to college for a certificate, because a bachelor's is too damn expensive. Many say college should be free, but I personally think that 19 and possibly even 20 should still be in a revamped high school system. Even Finland has high school graduation at 19 instead of 18, and as stated before, their education system is far superior.

Play School
Age 3-7
No desk work. The only thing kids are taught is social skills with other kids, as well as to be nice and play fair.

Elementary School
Year 1 - age 7-8
Year 2 - age 8-9
Year 3 - age 9-10
Year 4 - age 10-11
Year 5 - age 11-12
Year 6 - age 12-13

Secondary School
Year 7 - age 13-14
Year 8 - age 14-15
Year 9 - age 15-16

High School
Year 10 - age 16-17
Year 11 - age 17-18
Year 12 - age 18-19
Year 13 - age 19-20

Also with this revamped school system, I think the timespans for summer and winter break should be changed.
Instead of summer break being 10 weeks and winter break being only 2, they should both equally be 6 weeks. Therefore, summer break isn't too long, and winter break isn't too short.

Age 13 is way too old for elementary school. I'd be okay with this if you put Year 6 (12/13, the equivalent to 7th grade) in secondary school.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/10/18 at 7:47 pm

I also think 5 is too young to be starting elementary school. Desk work is too straining for kids at that age where they haven't even reached concrete operational stage yet. Over in Finland, they start at age 7, and they have one of the best education systems in the world over there.

I disagree with 5 being too young to start school. There's so many kids who go into Kindergarten on different levels not knowing their basic ABC's and 123's. You need Kindergarten in order to comprehend the pop culture around you and interact with the real world with simple things. Why do a lot of toys or kid activities say age 6+ or 7+ on the label? Because you need Kindergarten knowledge first. It's so important for parents to teach their kids how to read and start learning basic stuff by age 3. A lot of parents I know didn't teach their kids basics or didn't read to their kids at all and by the time they walk into Kindergarten at age 5 or even 6 for some they are clueless. If anything, I believe pre-K should be mandatory and kids should be LEARNING. But still having fun at the same time. Kids need to learn as early as possible, but they should still have fun for a while at the same time, not end their fun too early at 5th grade or age 11. BTW, at my elementary school, Kindergarteners did not do desk work. We sat on the floor the majority of the time and learned. We sat on our desk sometimes to learn how to write, color, or do other basic stuff. 1st grade is when we were assigned desk seats and started doing more desk work.

This is gonna sound harsh and people will disagree, but, I would say make make school mandatory starting at age 4, but have (what you call play school) be for pre-K and Kindergarteners ages 4-6. Let it be a 2 year program in a separate building from the main elementary school. Kids 4-5 in pre-K need to be learning as well as 5-6 Kindergarteners. Then let real elementary school be grades 1-6 or ages 6-12. Have extra circular activities/sports for 5 & 6 graders. Let grades 7-9 be middle school, and let grades 10-12 be high school. Kids still need to graduate by 18. People want to be in college and free from their parents by age 18 (well it depends on your situation). 18 is the first legal age. You have to adapt between ages 18-20 before you turn 21 and learn a lot of new independent skills in life. Nobody wants to be in school that long.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/10/18 at 7:49 pm

Age 13 is way too old for elementary school. I'd be okay with this if you put Year 6 (12/13, the equivalent to 7th grade) in secondary school.

Plus, 6 and 7 year old's are no longer "play school" or "preschool age" either unless you have a bad memory or didn't learn well enough. Age 5 is the last "play school" or "preschool age". It's the transition from early childhood to core childhood for most people.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/10/18 at 7:52 pm

Plus, 6 and 7 year old's are no longer "play school" or "preschool age" either unless you have a bad memory or didn't learn well enough. Age 5 is the last "play school" or "preschool age". It's the transition from early childhood to core childhood for most people.

Age 5 was already my core childhood for me. Even before I started Kindergarten. It was definitely one of the best years that I can remember very vividly.

Written By: 2001 on 04/10/18 at 7:52 pm

He is just emulating the system in Finland.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/10/18 at 7:56 pm

Play School
Age 3-7

Elementary School
Year 1 - age 7-8
Year 2 - age 8-9
Year 3 - age 9-10
Year 4 - age 10-11
Year 5 - age 11-12
Year 6 - age 12-13

Secondary School
Year 7 - age 13-14
Year 8 - age 14-15
Year 9 - age 15-16

High School
Year 10 - age 16-17
Year 11 - age 17-18
Year 12 - age 18-19
Year 13 - age 19-20

I'm very happy you don't run this country because if I still have to stay in high school by age 20 then I'm going to shove a fork up my throat. ;D

Written By: Dr. Mario on 04/10/18 at 7:59 pm

I'm very happy you don't run this country because if I still have to stay in school by age 20 then I'm going to shove a fork up my throat. ;D

He said in his post rather than having free college, high school should be extended. His high school system is ages 16-20, practically pre/young adults and not so far off from college actually.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 04/10/18 at 8:00 pm

I also think 6th grade (ages 11-12) is too old for elementary school. I think it's good that we have a phase in year for middle school.

Written By: 2001 on 04/10/18 at 8:00 pm

I'm very happy you don't run this country because if I still have to stay in high school by age 20 then I'm going to shove a fork up my throat. ;D

You would still be in middle school right now in that system lol.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 04/10/18 at 8:01 pm

What the US can learn from Finland where school starts at age 7;

https://www.npr.org/2014/03/08/287255411/what-the-u-s-can-learn-from-finland-where-school-starts-at-age-7

Education system in Finland;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Finland

Written By: 2001 on 04/10/18 at 8:01 pm

I also think 6th grade (ages 11-12) is too old for elementary school. I think it's good that we have a phase in year for middle school.

In England middle school is Years 5-8 (ages 9-13) so it sounds pretty normal to me.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/10/18 at 8:02 pm

WTxTbiHC1NA

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/18 at 8:03 pm

I agree with this :-X.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 04/10/18 at 8:03 pm

I actually like how his system for high school is ages 16-20, kinda like a hybrid between upperclassman high school and college.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 04/10/18 at 8:05 pm

He didn't call it middle school though. He called it secondary school.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/18 at 8:05 pm

If the US adopted Finland's system (which would never happen) then it's only right that college should become debt/tuition free.

However, all of that is a pipe dream.

Written By: 2001 on 04/10/18 at 8:07 pm

He didn't call it middle school though. He called it secondary school.

That's strange. High school is secondary school.  ??? And university/college is post-secondary. But oh well.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 04/10/18 at 8:09 pm

In England middle school is Years 5-8 (ages 9-13) so it sounds pretty normal to me.

Now, 9 is way too young for middle school.

Written By: 2001 on 04/10/18 at 8:13 pm

If the US adopted Finland's system (which would never happen) then it's only right that college should become debt/tuition free.

However, all of that is a pipe dream.

Isn't it all at the state level? Why is the education system the same in all 50 states? In Canada it's different in each province, for example in Ontario we have two years of kindergarten and don't have any formal middle school, and in Western Canada Kindergarten is one year and they have middle school or junior high. In Québec they have 5 years of secondary school, you graduate when you're 16/17 and there's an additional 2 years of CÉGEP which is like a university environment but completely free etc. Provinces try out different things and they see what works best.  :-X

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/18 at 8:16 pm

Isn't it all at the state level? Why is the education system the same in all 50 states? In Canada it's different in each province, for example in Ontario we have two years of kindergarten and don't have any formal middle school, and in Western Canada Kindergarten is one year and they have middle school or junior high. In Québec they have 5 years of secondary school, you graduate when you're 16/17 and there's an additional 2 years of CÉGEP which is like a university environment but completely free etc. Provinces try out different things and they see what works best.  :-X

Each state does have it's own education system.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 04/10/18 at 8:16 pm

It's not the same countrywide. It depends on the district, rather than the state.
I have a cousin that lives in Utah, over there, it's k-6 elementary, 7-9 junior high, and 10-12 high school.
There's also some schools even near where I live mix jr high and high school together, being grades 7-12.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 04/10/18 at 8:19 pm

It's not the same countrywide. It depends on the district, rather than the state.
I have a cousin that lives in Utah, over there, it's k-6 elementary, 7-9 junior high, and 10-12 high school.
There's also some schools even near where I live mix jr high and high school together, being grades 7-12.

My school district is turning PreK-8 schools into PreK-6 schools. A couple of high schools in my district are grades 7-12. Though, the one I'm in is 9-12.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/10/18 at 8:23 pm

I believe pre-K should be mandatory and kids should be LEARNING. But still having fun at the same time. Kids need to learn as early as possible, but they should still have fun for a while at the same time, not end their fun too early at 5th grade or age 11.

I definitely agree with this. Kind of a bit unrelated, but one of the reasons why I can remember 2006 vividly despite being only 4 is because I went to Pre-K that year. For me, it was a transition from the toddler stage to the big kid stage which I was definitely in by the spring of 2007 AKA when I graduated Pre-K. I have to say, it did quite help my memory a bit and made finding friends easier. Thanks, Pre-K. ;D

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 04/10/18 at 8:34 pm

I definitely agree with this. Kind of a bit unrelated, but one of the reasons why I can remember 2006 vividly despite being only 4 is because I went to Pre-K that year. For me, it was a transition from the toddler stage to the big kid stage which I was definitely in by the spring of 2007 AKA when I graduated Pre-K. I have to say, it did quite help my memory a bit and made finding friends easier. Thanks, Pre-K. ;D

I started preschool at age 3 years 6 months, that's when my memories started to become constant, where I can start remembering things in full motion, rather than just still glimpses. However, it wasn't until I was around 5 years 8 months or so when they became crystal clear for me.

Written By: mqg96 on 04/10/18 at 8:34 pm

Older siblings around you + going to a good preschool or pre-K that actually thought you = memories crystallizing much earlier. Yeah. I'm the oldest of 3 younger siblings, and I didn't start public school until Kindergarten. I went to a private Christian preschool from ages 3-5 but it wasn't really called pre-K, and they didn't really teach you much. The reason Kindergarten was easy for me was because my parents made sure I learned some basic skills, and it was gradual between ages 2-5. There's some parents who don't teach their kids anything before they start Kindergarten, and they are clueless. A lot of these people who have grown up say they have trouble remembering before they were 7 or 8 because of this.

Written By: 2001 on 04/10/18 at 8:39 pm

I mean it's all K-12 and everyone starts school at 5.  Over here it's 13 years of school if you live in Quebec (starting at 4), 14 in Ontario (starting at 3/4), 13 in Newfoundland (starting at 5) etc. and grades are not counted the same way in every province. So you can try out your dream education system where school ends at 20 in one state and see if it's a success or failure ;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/10/18 at 8:46 pm

Older siblings around you + going to a good preschool or pre-K that actually thought you = memories crystallizing much earlier. Yeah. I'm the oldest of 3 younger siblings, and I didn't start public school until Kindergarten. I went to a private Christian preschool from ages 3-5 but it wasn't really called pre-K, and they didn't really teach you much. The reason Kindergarten was easy for me was because my parents made sure I learned some basic skills, and it was gradual between ages 2-5. There's some parents who don't teach their kids anything before they start Kindergarten, and they are clueless. A lot of these people who have grown up say they have trouble remembering before they were 7 or 8 because of this.

That is true. I have two older siblings, one was born in late 1993 and the other was born in late 1996. I can't really remember a lot from 2005 because I wasn't in preschool that year. Calling 2005 my childhood would be like calling 2014 my childhood. Both years were transitional. In 2005, I was still pretty much a toddler doing toddler stuff, and in 2014 I was 12 and already in middle school with other teenagers. It's difficult to consider both of those years my childhood, that's why I say 2006-2013 was my full childhood years.

I started preschool at age 3 years 6 months, that's when my memories started to become constant, where I can start remembering things in full motion, rather than just still glimpses. However, it wasn't until I was around 5 years 8 months or so when they became crystal clear for me.

It's interesting you say your memories cleared by age 5 and 8 months because I can actually very clearly remember my 5th birthday, but for some reason, I don't remember my preschool graduation despite it taking place right around my 5th birthday.  :o

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 04/10/18 at 8:51 pm

That is true. I have two older siblings, one was born in late 1993 and the other was born in late 1996. I can't really remember a lot from 2005 because I wasn't in preschool that year. Calling 2005 my childhood would be like calling 2014 my childhood. Both years were transitional. In 2005, I was still pretty much a toddler doing toddler stuff, and in 2014 I was 12 and already in middle school with other teenagers. It's difficult to consider both of those years my childhood, that's why I say 2006-2013 was my full childhood years. It's interesting you say your memories cleared by age 5 and 8 months because I can actually very clearly remember my 5th birthday, but for some reason, I don't remember my preschool graduation despite it taking place right around my 5th birthday.  :o

I don't remember any of my birthdays from age 5 and backwards, but do remember all of them from age 6 and forward.

However, some birthdays for me are easier to remember than others.
I can easily remember my 7th and 8th birthdays, but I have to take some time to rehearse and remember my 9th and 10th birthdays.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/18 at 8:52 pm

The US should have universal Pre-K, tuition/debt-free college and single-payer, universal health care for ALL Americans.

SMH, these are basic needs NOT guns ::).

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/10/18 at 8:55 pm

That is true. I have two older siblings, one was born in late 1993 and the other was born in late 1996. I can't really remember a lot from 2005 because I wasn't in preschool that year. Calling 2005 my childhood would be like calling 2014 my childhood. Both years were transitional. In 2005, I was still pretty much a toddler doing toddler stuff, and in 2014 I was 12 and already in middle school with other teenagers. It's difficult to consider both of those years my childhood, that's why I say 2006-2013 was my full childhood years. It's interesting you say your memories cleared by age 5 and 8 months because I can actually very clearly remember my 5th birthday, but for some reason, I don't remember my preschool graduation despite it taking place right around my 5th birthday.  :o
That's like saying 1999 was my childhood which I only have a few memories from that year. I was still in my toddler year and I use to go to a daycare that was like an hour from where I lived from ages 2-5. I didn't really get into kid culture until 2001.

Written By: Rainbowz on 04/10/18 at 9:01 pm

I don't remember any of my birthdays from age 5 and backwards, but do remember all of them from age 6 and forward.

However, some birthdays for me are easier to remember than others.
I can easily remember my 7th and 8th birthdays, but I have to take some time to rehearse and remember my 9th and 10th birthdays.

I can remember my 5th, 7th, 9th, 12th, and 15th birthday very clearly. The reason why I remember those birthdays were because I actually did something big for it. I think if you did something big for your birthday, you're a lot more likely to remember it IMO. I remember a lot of things that happened to me in 2007 and 2009, but not 2008, mainly because it was uneventful. I can still remember 2008, but I have a lot more personal memories that took place in 2007 and 2009 and they're easier to remember.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/18 at 9:05 pm

Childhood is ages 3-12. The ages of 5-10 being your core childhood.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 04/10/18 at 9:10 pm

The US should have universal Pre-K, tuition/debt-free college and single-payer, universal health care for ALL Americans.

SMH, these are basic needs NOT guns ::).

Just out of curiosity, what is your political response to those who say citizens need guns to protect themselves from the government, because the government should fear the citizens and not the other way around, and that the government can do whatever it wants with an unarmed population?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/18 at 10:00 pm

Just out of curiosity, what is your political response to those who say citizens need guns to protect themselves from the government, because the government should fear the citizens and not the other way around, and that the government can do whatever it wants with an unarmed population?

I would say:

1. I'm NOT advocating for a total gun confiscation.
2. American citizens can still own guns. Just not a freaking AR-15, which NO CIVILIAN needs to own.
3. If you're a hunter, you would still have access to hunting guns.
4. The government can already take over us if they wanted right now anyways.
5. Stop being a conspiracy nut and highly paranoid.
6. Care about other humans more than an inanimate object.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 04/11/18 at 1:07 am

I was at middle school in 2011 & 2012, Year 7 & 8, although where I'm from its part of High School.  For me it was just OK. After starting in January 2011, I have never seen some of my primary school friends ever since 2010 who I spent the majority of my childhood growing up with. I had to make a lot of new friends and one particular group of my 'friends' who really made me feel pretty angry and insecure for many years, now that we've grown out of that age their actually pretty good friends. I also lived really far away from my school at the time so I would have to spend hours a day commuting and it wasn't fun at all. Imo, my last year of primary school was much better.

Check for new replies or respond here...