inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you remember the first movie you saw in theatres?

Written By: ofkx on 04/09/18 at 7:30 am

Mine was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in 2005. I was three and I remember being hella excited and a bit scared right before going into the theatre. Don't remember much past that though.

Subject: Re: Do you remember the first movie you saw in theatres?

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/18 at 7:46 am

Looking up on release dates of the first films I can remember seeing, my first film at the cinema was Mary Poppins (1964).

Written By: Dundee on 04/09/18 at 7:59 am

I think it was Wall-E in 2008? I wasn't really interested in going to the theatre before that.

Written By: mjstudios97 on 04/09/18 at 8:30 am

It was Fantastic 4 (2005) or King Kong (2005) that I actually remember seeing but the first movie I saw was Spider-Man (2002), I have no memories of seeing in theaters but parents took me to see it. I was 4.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/18 at 8:41 am

I think it was Wall-E in 2008? I wasn't really interested in going to the theatre before that.
...and a great film too!

Written By: piecesof93 on 04/09/18 at 9:31 am

First movie I saw in theaters was Toy Story.

Written By: 2001 on 04/09/18 at 9:33 am

Batman and Robin (1997). I don't remember it well though, but for some reason my brother who was 3 years old then does ;D

The first trip I remember very clearly was for Godzilla (1998).

Written By: mqg96 on 04/09/18 at 9:36 am

I saw a lot of movies in theaters throughout 2002, such as the original Spider-Man, Lilo & Stitch, Ice Age, Spy Kids 2: Island of Lost Dreams, and more, but I honestly I can't remember specifically the first movie I watched in theaters. My earliest memories was a few movies in 2001, but I can't recall the specific one. A lot of movies I watched on VHS throughout my early childhood.

Written By: deloresthegreat on 04/09/18 at 7:23 pm

Toy Story 3.  It was the first film I saw in theaters that I actually enjoyed.  Parents tried to take me to "Karate Kid," I cried and hated it.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 04/09/18 at 8:16 pm

The first one I remember seeing was Ice Age (2002), my 15 year old aunt and her best friend took my 2 year old brother and I (I was 3) to go see it. Next one would be Finding Nemo (2003), I remember my mom taking my siblings and I to see it.

The first one I remember very well is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (2005), my mom, siblings and I went with a family from New Orleans (it was shortly after Hurricane Katrina), we were close to them during that time, they were in our town for around six months, I believe. I haven't seen them since they went back to New Orleans.

Written By: Howard on 04/10/18 at 7:32 am

Coming To America (1988)

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/10/18 at 7:40 am

Sherek in 2001, I still remember my Godmother taking me to see it.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 04/11/18 at 6:30 pm

Rocky IV (1985). Just barely.

Written By: fusefan on 04/13/18 at 7:15 pm

One of my earliest memories is seeing The Lion King when it first came out in 1994.

Written By: meesa on 04/13/18 at 11:22 pm

Probably not the very first, but one of the first and most memorable of my childhood was JAWS. When you first see it coming out of the water to get the chum and Chief Brody is facing away from it and towards the audience, I was terrified. And I was not alone; everyone in the theater collectively gasped and some shrieked/yelled.

The bonus leftover of that film is I am never quite comfortable swimming alone. Even in a pool.  ;D  ;D

Written By: nally on 04/14/18 at 11:11 am

I think the first time I ever went to a sit-down theater was June of 1990, when I went with a friend of mine and his family to see Ghost Dad.

Written By: SailorSteven2017 on 04/14/18 at 11:14 am

I definitely remember this clearly; a nice Saturday night in 2008, my family and I went to see "A Bug's Life". Idk when the film came out, so if it is sooner or after, plz correct me  :P

Written By: Dr. Mario on 04/14/18 at 11:17 am

The Simpson Movie in 2007. Also, Horton Hears A Who & Bolt in 2008.

Written By: piecesof93 on 04/14/18 at 1:27 pm

I definitely remember this clearly; a nice Saturday night in 2008, my family and I went to see "A Bug's Life". Idk when the film came out, so if it is sooner or after, plz correct me  :P

Haha. A Bug's Life came out in 1998, when I was a kid. It was my favorite movie and it's still an amazing movie. I'm not sure how you saw it in theatres. Maybe they were showing it again for it's 10 year anniversary?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/14/18 at 1:33 pm

I remember being told that I was too young to go see The Sound of Music and my sisters came home singing from it and I was SOOOOO jealous. I can't remember if it was the re-release of Gone With the Wind or the re-release of Snow White (that we saw at the drive-in). I only remember a little bit of GWTW and I remember being afraid of the witch in SW.

Cat

Written By: unicornic on 04/14/18 at 1:39 pm

Yes I do. My first movie I saw in theatres was hairspray (2007). My mum and dad went with me

Written By: Dr. Mario on 04/14/18 at 1:41 pm

Yes I do. My first movie I saw in theatres was hairspray (2007). My mum and dad went with me

Good movie, though I didn't see it until 2014 or 2015 in my 7th grade music class.

Written By: SailorSteven2017 on 04/14/18 at 2:41 pm

Haha. A Bug's Life came out in 1998, when I was a kid. It was my favorite movie and it's still an amazing movie. I'm not sure how you saw it in theatres. Maybe they were showing it again for it's 10 year anniversary?

oooooooooooooooooooooooooh..................

Written By: Howard on 04/14/18 at 3:16 pm

Wasn't Hairspray in the movies in 1988 or was this some other version? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/18 at 3:19 pm

Two separate films, both adapted into a Broadway musical of the same name.

Written By: SailorSteven2017 on 04/14/18 at 3:24 pm

I saw the '80s film and I think it's okay.  :) But the 2007 movie had some KILLER tunes  :D

EDIT: I just remembered the song "Hey, Old Friend" from the 2007 movie and it's so beautiful (reminiscing yet continuing to move forward).

Written By: whistledog on 04/15/18 at 10:31 pm

A re-release of the Disney animated feature The Rescuers that hit theatres in Christmas of 1983.  It was a double feature with a then brand new short called Mickey's Christmas Carol

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/15/18 at 10:42 pm

Probably not the very first, but one of the first and most memorable of my childhood was JAWS. When you first see it coming out of the water to get the chum and Chief Brody is facing away from it and towards the audience, I was terrified. And I was not alone; everyone in the theater collectively gasped and some shrieked/yelled.

The bonus leftover of that film is I am never quite comfortable swimming alone. Even in a pool.  ;D  ;D

Probably the first movie I can remember seeing in a theater was The Apple Dumpling Gang.  It came out right around the same time as Jaws (in 1975), and my older brothers and sister went to a multiplex theater, and my sister went with me to see The Apple Dumpling Gang while my brothers went to see Jaws. I really don't remember anything about the movie we saw (although I'd like to see it again sometime), but I can remember going out of the theater to go pee and then peeking into the other theater where Jaws was playing. I can remember seeing a fin going across the screen while the now famous scary music was playing and that was enough for me and I bailed. ;D

Written By: nally on 04/15/18 at 11:47 pm

Yep, one was a remake. Different cast of characters, same general concept (or so I remember, although I didn't really watch either version).

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 04/18/18 at 10:13 pm

First one I remember seeing was Shrek, I was 3.

Written By: Brian06 on 04/18/18 at 10:17 pm

The first I can really recall was The Lion King in ‘94 at the age of 7.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 04/20/18 at 5:48 pm

I think the first time I ever went to a sit-down theater was June of 1990, when I went with a friend of mine and his family to see Ghost Dad.
O wow at age 10. I have seen about a million movies in theaters by then.

Written By: Alexander1956 on 04/26/18 at 6:37 am

101 Dalmatians in 1961.

Written By: Lizardmatum on 04/26/18 at 3:01 pm

It was 'The Tigger Movie' lol in 2000.
Second one was 'Chicken Run' also in  2000

Written By: christopher on 04/26/18 at 3:41 pm

Yes because I only saw 2 so far. First one was Jurrassic Park III

Written By: karen on 04/27/18 at 2:31 pm

I am not one hundred percent sure but I think it was Bedknobs and Broomsticks sometime around 1973/74. It was at the Saturday Morning Picture Show that the cinema did, so not when the film first came out.

Written By: Fearsword on 04/27/18 at 5:03 pm

I saw Tarzan as a 4yo in 1999.

Written By: violet_shy on 04/27/18 at 6:03 pm

The Goonies.

Check for new replies or respond here...