inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Disco vs. Trap

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/10/18 at 9:59 am

The battle of the genres! Which music genre you liked better? Disco or Trap? What's the reason why you prefer one over the other? Disco is to the 70's, while Trap is to the 10's.

Example of a Disco song
xFrGuyw1V8s

Example of a Trap song
i_kF4zLNKio

Subject: Re: Disco vs. Trap

Written By: Emman on 04/10/18 at 12:29 pm

It's not an even comparison, trap doesn't even come close to disco's popularity in its prime plus trap is a 2000s rap style lingering into the 2010s while disco is pretty distinctly '70s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/18 at 12:51 pm

It's not an even comparison; the trap doesn't even come close to disco's popularity in its prime plus trap is a 2000s rap style lingering into the 2010s while disco is pretty distinctly '70s.
I thought Snap and Crunk were the primary 00s rap styles. ???. I don't recall listening to much Trap during that decade unless it was underground.

Written By: Dundee on 04/10/18 at 1:36 pm

Example of a Disco song
xFrGuyw1V8s
It's more Europop than really Disco

Written By: Dundee on 04/10/18 at 1:45 pm

It's not an even comparison, trap doesn't even come close to disco's popularity in its prime plus trap is a 2000s rap style lingering into the 2010s while disco is pretty distinctly '70s.
Ever heard a 2000s trap song? It sounds quite different to the current stuff:
N5lIWti4VUw

The current style of trap was developped around 2010-2011 by Gucci Mane and Waka Flocka, so what most people think of trap nowadays is 100% 2010s. Add to that the trap-inspired edm genre that was also developped in the early 2010s.

Written By: Emman on 04/10/18 at 3:24 pm

I thought Snap and Crunk were the primary 00s rap styles. ???. I don't recall listening to much Trap during that decade unless it was underground.

Trap has been in the mainstream since at least 2005,  I remember hearing a lot about trap rap during that time, I know many people on the forum were probably too young to really remember around this time but heck you can Google when trap became popular.

I mean come one T.I's Trap Muzik dropped in 2003 for christ sakes, what is this weird push to make trap seem like a new style when it's over 15 years old?

Written By: Howard on 04/10/18 at 3:32 pm

Are you kidding me? I will answer that disco is so much better than trap since I don't care what trap sounds like nor that I have no desire whatsoever to listen to it so I will say that 70's disco beats trap any day of the week and this is coming from an old school music listener.

Written By: Howard on 04/10/18 at 3:40 pm

Back then, disco dance had so many clubs for that disco sound, it was the hotspot from the late 70's- to probably the early 80's after disco faded out. And now most of these dance clubs have either died or have changed to a different company so that meant it was sold to someone else.

Written By: Emman on 04/10/18 at 3:41 pm

Ever heard a 2000s trap song? It sounds quite different to the current stuff:
N5lIWti4VUw

The current style of trap was developped around 2010-2011 by Gucci Mane and Waka Flocka, so what most people think of trap nowadays is 100% 2010s. Add to that the trap-inspired edm genre that was also developped in the early 2010s.

Sorry same overall flavor, just incremental changes and Gucci Mane was one of the originals of the style back in the early/mid 2000s.

Is the modern musical landscape so stagnant that we have to drudge up 15-18 year old rap styles and dress them up as "new"?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/18 at 4:22 pm

Trap has been in the mainstream since at least 2005,  I remember hearing a lot about trap rap during that time, I know many people on the forum were probably too young to really remember around this time but heck you can Google when trap became popular.

I mean come one T.I's Trap Muzik dropped in 2003 for christ sakes, what is this weird push to make trap seem like a new style when it's over 15 years old?
I just checked Wikipedia and it seems that T.I., Rick Ross, Young Jeezy and a few others are considered Trap. I guess I didn't realize I listened to that type of music back in the 00s since I do remember hearing them on the hip-hop radio. However, it wasn't much compared to Crunk and Snap since those two were the most played sub genres of hip-hop of that time.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 04/10/18 at 4:28 pm

Would you consider these Trap songs?

gczBgNB-p1w

uVMYFfBo3g8

nQJACVmankY

pWIxj4JDtEE

C7ec0VI4Yl0

L5wAk7PXmBI

These are a few songs i remember listening to during the 00s.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 04/10/18 at 5:24 pm

I was talking about modern trap music of 2010-present.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/18 at 5:41 pm

It's more Europop than really Disco

It's both.

"Dancing Queen" is a quintessential disco song.

Written By: Emman on 04/10/18 at 8:11 pm

I was talking about modern trap music of 2010-present.

But it is not a equal comparison to disco, that's like if disco became popular around 1965 and lingered into the late '70s.
Music stylistic lifespans used to turnover much quicker(thus datedness) before the late '90s esp., trap should be seen as the '00s holdover that it is but instead people are making it out to be the sound of "now" ;D.

Trap just isn't the zeitgeist defining cultural force disco was in it's prime.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/18 at 8:14 pm

But it is not a equal comparison to disco, that's like if disco became popular around 1965 and lingered into the late '70s.
Music stylistic lifespans used to turnover much quicker(thus datedness) before the late '90s esp., trap should be seen as the '00s holdover that it is but instead people are making it out to be the sound of "now" ;D.

Trap just isn't the zeitgeist defining cultural force disco was in it's prime.

Trap is NOT a '00s holdover.

A lot of musical genres were started a few years or even decades before they become popular. Trap became popular in the 2010s...so it's a 2010s defining musical genre

Written By: Emman on 04/10/18 at 8:25 pm

Trap is NOT a '00s holdover.

A lot of musical genres were started a few years or even decades before they become popular. Trap became popular in the 2010s...so it's a 2010s defining musical genre

It became popular in the mid 2000s, if you deny that then I just don't know what to say. :-\\
I have plenty of evidence to back up what I'm saying(personal and otherwise).

From wikipedia
During the early-to-mid 2000s, trap music began to emerge as a recognized genre after the mainstream success of a number of albums and singles with lyrics that covered topics about life in "the trap", drug dealing and the struggle for success. Several Southern rappers with drug dealer personas such asYoung Jeezy, Gucci Mane, Yo Gotti, and Rick Ross produced crossover hits and helped expand the popularity of the genre, with trap records beginning to appear more heavily on mixtapes and radio stations outside of the South. Though trap artists were somewhat diverse in their production styles, the signature and quintessential trap sound (typically based around synth, orchestra and string swells with tight, bass-heavy 808 kick drums) that would come to be associated with the genre developed in Atlanta during trap's mid-2000s breakthrough. Some of the notable trap producers during the mid to late 2000s include DJ Toomp, Fatboi, Drumma Boy, Shawty Redd, D. Rich and Zaytoven. The first wave of the trap sound developed was influenced by earlier Southern producers such as Lil Jon, Mannie Fresh and DJ Paul.

With the exception of Outkast, let me think, Goodie Mob... with the exception of that, before I came in the game, it was Lil Jon, Outkast, Goodie Mob, okay so you had crunk music and you had Organized Noise. There was no such thing as trap music, I created that, I created that. I coined the term, it was my second album, Trap Muzik it dropped in 2003. After that, there was an entire new genre of music created. An open lane for each of you to do what you do, and live your lives, on T.V., and be accepted by the masses. The masses have accepted you 'cause I opened the door and you walked through it. Don't forget who opened that door cuz.

— Atlanta-based rapper T.I., in a December 2012 interview

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/10/18 at 8:35 pm

It became popular in the mid 2000s, if you deny that then I just don't know what to say. :-\\
I have plenty of evidence to back up what I'm saying(personal and otherwise).

From wikipedia

Trap didn't become popular until around 2012-2014. STOP IT!

Written By: Dundee on 04/11/18 at 6:28 am

It's both.

"Dancing Queen" is a quintessential disco song.
It's not, it's more like Disco-inspired pop. If you gonna compare it to a trap song, than pick a trap-inspired pop song.

This is a much better example of Disco, also by an European group:
QtxlCsVKkvY

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 04/11/18 at 8:01 am

It's not, it's more like Disco-inspired pop. If you gonna compare it to a trap song, than pick a trap-inspired pop song.

QtxlCsVKkvY

No, it's both.

This is NOT up for debate. That is all I will be saying.

Written By: Howard on 04/11/18 at 2:43 pm

QtxlCsVKkvY

I know about Boney M.

Written By: Dundee on 04/11/18 at 4:54 pm

No, it's both.

This is NOT up for debate. That is all I will be saying.

No, it's not true.

This IS up for debate. That is all I will be saying.

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 04/11/18 at 6:55 pm

I think that Trap has become the disco of this decade in a way. Trap has become so oversaturated in the past few years, even pop songs have a Trap beat in them (the same way how some Rock songs started to mimic disco in the late 70s). Trap music will probably lose a lot of steam in the next couple years though.

Written By: Howard on 04/12/18 at 5:31 am

Why not combine the two and just call it "Trisco"? ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...