inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did 70s nostalgia die out

Written By: d90 on 04/25/18 at 11:24 pm

I have hardly seen any elements of 70s nostalgia in the 10s. The last time I saw a significant element of 70s nostalgia was in 2006 when That 70s Show ended.

Subject: Re: When did 70s nostalgia die out

Written By: Dundee on 04/26/18 at 12:41 am

How is this decadeology? This is actually an interesting observation. Yeah I think 70s nostalgia just run its natural course. When you think of it, the youngest that possibly could remember them are now in their late 40s, meaning a huge portion of the population either can't remember them or weren't even born. So in many ways it's hard for artists to make homage to a period they never lived through and it isn't a commercial force either way.

Written By: gibbo on 04/26/18 at 2:14 am

How is this decadeology? This is actually an interesting observation. Yeah I think 70s nostalgia just run its natural course. When you think of it, the youngest that possibly could remember them are now in their late 40s, meaning a huge portion of the population either can't remember them or weren't even born. So in many ways it's hard for artists to make homage to a period they never lived through and it isn't a commercial force either way.

I think there is roughly 70+ million baby boomers in the US today (about 21% of the US population).  Most only get nostalgic once they hit there mid-life ... and then they get over it. I was born in 1960, joined this site when I was in my late 40's (mainly because I was nostalgic for the 60's, 70's and early to mid 80's.  It ran it's course and I there aren't as many  threads of interest to me here anymore. I find the artists I revisit are from the late 60's and early 70's.  For example, I only knew 2 Joni Mitchell songs (I know ... who?  Look her up) ... and have found some great albums of hers that I was probably not mature enough (at that time) to give her a listen. 

If this thread WAS decadeology, I would not have replied.  But, for some, nostalgia for the 70's, will never actually die out.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/26/18 at 6:53 am

History never truly dies out unless if the source material is lost, but of course the people who lived through them do. That said, they'res more lingering mainstream '80s nostalgia in 2018 then there was to the '70s in 2008, which was '80s-dominated nostalgiawise. The Goldbergs are still on the air, Wheel of Fortune is doing '80s-themed puzzles this season, Roseanne (although more '90s) just relaunched, and even cassette tapes are making a revival. There will always be a 1970s-set period piece though once in awhile, and new nonfiction material that contains subject matter from that decade, but its a bit more intellectual compared to those TV specials featuring former disco-era stars or the like. That decade seemed to have a relatively short run, but of course this contained the largest segment of Baby Boomers who came of age that decade, so it gave a chance not only for them to revisit it, but for the Millennialls to be inspired by it to create the fashions of the '90s/2000s that took some cues from the '70s. That said, people like certain aspects of the '70s because they're TIMELESS, not kitschy like disco, polyester, or pet rocks. That's why Fleetwood Mac, The Price Is Right, Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Godfather, and environmental consciousness are still respected today on the other hand.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/26/18 at 7:05 am

Nostalgia dies out when those that remember and lived through the era have sadly passed on.

Written By: d90 on 04/26/18 at 12:04 pm

I remember that in 2007 Mitchell Musso sang a cover version of Lean on me by Bill Withers and  in 2003 Raven Symone sang a cover of Superstition by Stevie Wonder.

Written By: deloresthegreat on 04/26/18 at 7:46 pm

Yeah, I've noticed this too - this might not be the right place to ask this, but do a lot of people hate the 70s?  Someone once described the 70s to me as "the most hated decade next to the 2000s."  Kids my age think that the 70s are too old - we're enjoying what I presume will be the last few bouts of 80s nostalgia, and 90s nostalgia is somewhat mainstream, just not VERY big yet.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/26/18 at 8:49 pm

Yeah, I've noticed this too - this might not be the right place to ask this, but do a lot of people hate the 70s?  Someone once described the 70s to me as "the most hated decade next to the 2000s."  Kids my age think that the 70s are too old - we're enjoying what I presume will be the last few bouts of 80s nostalgia, and 90s nostalgia is somewhat mainstream, just not VERY big yet.

I don't think people hate the 70s (or if they do they shouldn't), but I think a lot of people misunderstand them. Because of a few unfortunate trends--I'm looking at YOU disco!--people tend to identify the entire decade with that. Not the case! The music of the 70s, most especially the early 70s, was TREMENDOUS. And there was a progressiveness that cannot even be imagined now. People wanted to do the right thing but without the stifling, almost fascist, air of oppressive political correctness that exists now.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 04/26/18 at 8:52 pm

For example, I only knew 2 Joni Mitchell songs (I know ... who?  Look her up) ... and have found some great albums of hers that I was probably not mature enough (at that time) to give her a listen. 

I was lucky enough to see Joni Mitchell live in February, 1974 when she was at the peak of her fame and "Court and Spark" was the biggest album in the country. I saw her a few times after that also.  My favorite album of hers is "Hejira" from 1976. Give it a listen if you don't know it. It takes some getting into though. But it will reward you.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 04/26/18 at 9:03 pm

A lot of people like 70's rock and metal, but defintely not disco.

Written By: gibbo on 04/26/18 at 10:52 pm

Well, as a matter of fact, I played a Spotify disco playlist recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. The thing is ... I was out in the clubs (discos) from 1977 onwards and the songs take me back to specific nights out on the town (and memories of girls I have never seen again).  ::)

Of course, some of those disco 'hits' are just plain terrible!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/27/18 at 8:15 am

I like both.

Written By: Early2002 on 04/27/18 at 4:00 pm

Fuller House, Rosanne, Rockos Modern Life, Hey Arnold,  Power Rangers Movie, Jurassic World, Independance day 2, Double Dare Reboot, Clarissa Reboot, Sabrina Reboot, Girl Meets World, Nick Splat block

Written By: Dundee on 04/29/18 at 3:13 pm

Fuller House, Rosanne, Rockos Modern Life, Hey Arnold,  Power Rangers Movie, Jurassic World, Independance day 2, Double Dare Reboot, Clarissa Reboot, Sabrina Reboot, Girl Meets World, Nick Splat block
Do Black Panther count? The 1992 flashbacks were fairly important to the story :)

Check for new replies or respond here...