inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most future-obsessed decade of the 20th century?

Written By: Dundee on 04/28/18 at 5:37 pm

From the Futurism movement of the 1910s to the Y2K era, passing by the Science Fiction craze of the 60s, it seems like every decade of the 20th century share a common trait: an interest in looking forward to a advanced and technology-driven world.

So what in your opinion is the most future-obsessed decade, as well as the least :)?

Vote in the poll and discuss!

Subject: Re: Most future-obsessed decade of the 20th century?

Written By: SpyroKev on 04/28/18 at 5:57 pm

I won't be bias, probably way before my time earlier in the 20th century.

I like how the late 90s and 2000s did it though.

Written By: Wobo on 04/28/18 at 6:01 pm

I would say 1920s or 1950s because alot of future prediction films came out those decades.

Written By: #Infinity on 04/28/18 at 6:09 pm

Either the '50s or the '90s. The former was dominated by science fiction movies, novels, and ideas, but the latter was a period of optimism and preparation for the new millennium, hence the boom in technology.

Written By: DesiredUsernameWasTaken on 04/28/18 at 6:24 pm

Either the '50s or the '90s. The former was dominated by science fiction movies, novels, and ideas, but the latter was a period of optimism and preparation for the new millennium, hence the boom in technology.

The 70s were also dominated by science fiction, with movies like Star Wars, Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, Logan's Run, Alien etc. 

Written By: Dundee on 04/29/18 at 12:46 am

The results are quite suprising so far.
I agree with the 50s answer, it's a decade where science-fiction boomed, and with a big obsession for robots and wacky technologic advancements. Even in music, there was the Space Age Pop genre to give off the feeling of spaciness :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/29/18 at 3:50 pm

I say the 1950s. Other decades also had sci-fi but the later decades was more science based than fiction based.

Here are a list of the sci-fi movies that came out in the '50s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_science_fiction_films_of_the_1950s

After Sputnik was first launched in 1959, which started the Space Race-more sci-fi was based on science rather than the fiction-with exceptions of course. 

Cat

Written By: gibbo on 04/29/18 at 11:48 pm

I agree. The 1950's into the early 60's.  It then picked up again in the late 70's (Star Wars) through to the mid 80's (Back to the Future)

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/30/18 at 4:22 am

I feel that science fiction started with writings of H.G. Wells: "The Island of Doctor Moreau" (1896), "The War of the Worlds" (1898), and "The First Men in the Moon" (1901). Adding to the era, the short films made by Georges Méliès "A Trip to the Moon" (1902) and "The Impossible Voyage" (1904), which both where influence by the author Jules Verne.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/30/18 at 7:43 am

I'd say the '60s. You had the launch of Star Trek, The Jetsons, World's Fairs in Seattle, NYC, and Montreal with a lot of futurist ideals, the peak of the Space Race leading to the man on the moon, "In The Year 2525", "Age of Aquarius", prototypes to what would eventually become the Internet, and the general "technology will save us". The '50s aren't far behind, but it feels rather cheesy to the more idealistic picture the sixties paints, and the social culture feels too conformist compared to the radical movements of the following decade. Futurism was also coined in the 1910s, but IMO the Great War tainted its promises.

Written By: duenas8 on 05/01/18 at 11:52 pm

I'd say the '60s. You had the launch of Star Trek, The Jetsons, World's Fairs in Seattle, NYC, and Montreal with a lot of futurist ideals, the peak of the Space Race leading to the man on the moon, "In The Year 2525", "Age of Aquarius", prototypes to what would eventually become the Internet, and the general "technology will save us". The '50s aren't far behind, but it feels rather cheesy to the more idealistic picture the sixties paints, and the social culture feels too conformist compared to the radical movements of the following decade. Futurism was also coined in the 1910s, but IMO the Great War tainted its promises.

60’s had 2001: A Space Odyssey and Planet of the Apes, both released in 1968 and very acclaimed 

Check for new replies or respond here...