inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Things that will make Generation X feel old

Written By: d90 on 05/01/18 at 11:18 am

1980 is closer to the end of WW2 than 2018.
People born in 1970 will soon be turning 50
Early Generation Xers will start retiring in the late 2020s.
Most people on earth are now younger than they are

Subject: Re: Things that will make Generation X feel old

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/18 at 11:53 am

Written By: Dundee on 05/01/18 at 1:53 pm

Kind of delightful that the young, wild generation of the 90s are now grumpy 40 years olds.
Just like how the young, wild generation of the 70s were grumpy 40 years olds in the 90s, and even grumpier 60 years olds now.

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/02/18 at 7:01 am

Well, it's called taking responsibilities, and being tied to a job or family definitely drains your excitement, and even me as a 33 year old feels noticeably less wild then when I was college aged.

I'd say the ultimate one though is that in a few years, no more Gen Xers will be active playing professional sports, and even those that still are like Tom Brady are in the twilight of their careers.

Also, I'd say that more and more are becoming new grandparents now even though my Boomer parents still aren't one yet. Many in the earlier part of the generation have also now been longer married than single in their lives, and don't mind being called "sir" or "ma'am".

Written By: meesa on 05/03/18 at 12:01 pm

Pop culture references that younger folks don't understand. Celebs that younger folks haven't heard of before.

I said "Sure, Jan." to a young'un the other day. She said "Oh like that meme." No idea who Brady Bunch was.

What really did it in for me was a younger person asking "Who?" When I mentioned Julia Roberts.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/03/18 at 12:41 pm

Pop culture references that younger folks don't understand. Celebs that younger folks haven't heard of before.

I said "Sure, Jan." to a young'un the other day. She said "Oh like that meme." No idea who Brady Bunch was.

What really did it in for me was a younger person asking "Who?" When I mentioned Julia Roberts.

Yeah, more young people know Emma Roberts, her niece, more than Julia herself :P.

My mother was born in 1963 and while she's not considered to be Gen X, the 1980s was HER decade.

She also exposed me to classic '70s shows that she watched growing up like The Brady Bunch, All in the Family, Good Times, The Jeffersons, Charlie's Angels, and her favorite - Three's Company.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/03/18 at 1:01 pm

Yeah, more young people know Emma Roberts, her niece, more than Julia herself :P.

My mother was born in 1963 and while she's mot considered to be Gen X, the 1980s was HER decade.

She also exposed me to classic '70s shows that she watched growing up like The Brady Bunch, All in the Family, Good Times, The Jeffersons, Charlie's Angels, and her favorite - Three's Company.

I'm not one of them.

Written By: meesa on 05/04/18 at 5:03 pm

My mother was born in 1963 and while she's mot considered to be Gen X, the 1980s was HER decade.

I was born in 70, but raised mostly by my grandparents so got to know a lot about Depression and forward pop culture. :) I have introduced my children to that as well as 70s 80s etc, so they are familiar with 'old' music/film/tv series things as well.

I think it's great that your Mother introduced you to them, there are so many good ones you listed! Three's Company was so much fun. My favorite was the Jack/Janet/Terri combo. And Jack Tripper shorts!  ;D  ;D with tube socks. Gotta have the tube socks.

My daughter will watch All in the Family with me when we get the chance. So much of that is relevant today.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/04/18 at 5:30 pm

I was born in 70, but raised mostly by my grandparents so got to know a lot about Depression and forward pop culture. :) I have introduced my children to that as well as 70s 80s etc, so they are familiar with 'old' music/film/tv series things as well.

I think it's great that your Mother introduced you to them, there are so many good ones you listed! Three's Company was so much fun. My favorite was the Jack/Janet/Terri combo. And Jack Tripper shorts!  ;D  ;D with tube socks. Gotta have the tube socks.

My daughter will watch All in the Family with me when we get the chance. So much of that is relevant today.

Awesome!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/05/18 at 11:55 pm

Most of the musicians who represented them have passed away.
Some of them are grandparents
They are the last generation to remember a time when the Atari was popular.
They recall the public introduced to the Web
They will be the leading politicians in the next decade

Written By: mqg96 on 05/06/18 at 12:02 am

In 2 years, the oldest of this generation will be 55 and there will no longer be any Generation X members in their 30's, as the youngest ones will be hitting 40 very soon.

Written By: d90 on 05/06/18 at 1:15 am

They grew up when free range parents were the norm.
They were all young adults on 9/11

Check for new replies or respond here...