inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What years cover the various generations in your opinion?

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/02/18 at 5:04 pm

IE my opinion is that there are "Macro Generations" and then "Micro Generations" within them.

IE:

"Greatest Generation": 1901-1927
-Young enough to remember WWI but not old enough to fight in it; Old enough to have either experienced the Great Depression, voted for FDR at least once, or fought in WWII. Represented by Lyndon Johnson, Richard Nixon, Lyndon Johnson, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, and George HW Bush in the White House. The Generation who made up the older vanguard of civil rights leaders and who stewarded the US through the Cold War.

"Silent Generation": 1928-1941
-The Generation which either fought in the Korean War, or who were born prior to the outbreak of WWII. This generation has been called "Silent" as they were veterans of a forgotten war, were not boom during a Baby Boom, and never had a President to represent their Generation. Old enough to remember WWII as children or teens.

"Baby Boomers" Tier I: 1942-1953
-Born after Pearl Harbor, too young to truly remember WWII, old enough to remember their older brothers going off to Korea, old enough to have served in the military between the Korean and Vietnam Wars, this generation was the one generally taking part in the marches for civil rights and peace during the 1960s, enjoyed Disco in the 1970s, and also became the core of the Yuppies who voted for Reagan in the 1980s. Represented by Bill Clinton and George W. Bush in the White House. Responsible for 50s-early 1960s nostalgia in the 1970s. The first generation to grow up with Rock N' Roll as the dominant American Music Genre. The Generation to see the shift from Big Band, Jazz and Bebop to Rock N' Roll.

"Baby Boomers" Tier II: 1953-1964
-Born during the height of the American middle class in the mid 50s through mid 1960s; born prior to the escalation of the Vietnam War in 1965 yet old enough to have served during the last years of the war or had an older brother serve. The last cadre of the Hippies and Yippies. Old enough to grow up during the continuing struggles between the races in the 1970s and 1980s and who grew up during the height of the Cold War under JFK and who were at least 25 when the Berlin Wall came down. Represented in the White House by Barack Obama. Reponsible for 60s and 70s nostalgia during the late 80s and 1990s. The Myst Generation.

"Generation X Tier I": 1965-1973
-The core of Gen X's producers and leaders such as Kurt Cobain.

"Generation X Tier II": 1974-1981
-The core of Gen X's listeners, the people most represented in Gen X movies and TV shows. The first generation of people who were legally aborted in the US; The generation which grew up seeing the hypocrisy of the Baby Boomers and to witness the "greed is good" mantra of the 1980s and early 1990s; the generation who took an apathetic view of American politics and voted for either Ross Perot or Bill Clinton in 1992 and the first generation to have a truly pessimistic and cynical view of the American Dream. The core group most into 70s nostalgia during the 1990s. The Doom Generation.

"Millenials" Tier I: 1981-1992
-The last Generation of Americans to be born or grow up during the Cold War. The generation which grew up loving Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, Power Rangers, Pokemon (essentially, the Generation which grew up with the first gigantic toy and multi-media oriented 'kid fads') The first generation to really be born or grow up during the age of the home computer and with video game consoles as an affordable reality. The generation which grew up with the Atari 2600, Sega Master System, Nintendo, Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. The generation which saw the popularization of CD players, and then later MP3 players. The first agegroup who would've had middle class parents owning a cell phone. The last generation to grow up without the modern Internet for at least part of their childhoods. Arguably the core agegroup for 80s nostalgia. The Sonic and Mario Generation.

"Millenials" Tier II: 1993-2001
-Born during the height of the mid 1990s economic boom, the generation that came of age in a prosperous and rapidly advancing time in terms of technology and pop culture. The first generation to grow up with MP3s rather than CD players; the first generation who grew up to grow up with a modernized internet. Arguably the core age group for 90s nostalgia. The Crash Bandicoot Generation.

"Generation Z": 2002-??
-Born after 9/11 and during an era of division, economic downturn and dreariness in the US in the early 2000s during the Iraq War's height, followed by the crash of 2008 and who grew up to see the ongoing recession. The first generation to not know a world without Landlines, Smart Phones, Social Media, or the Internet; the first generation that would more easily remember streaming services rather than videostores. The first generation to grow up with Rap Music as the most popular American music genre. The Undertale Generation.

Subject: Re: What years cover the various generations in your opinion?

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/02/18 at 5:25 pm

This is probably going to get locked, but yes, this seems accurate.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 5:32 pm

-Born during the height of the mid 1990s economic boom, the generation that came of age in a prosperous and rapidly advancing time in terms of technology and pop culture. The first generation to grow up with MP3s rather than CD players; the first generation who grew up to grow up with a modernized internet. Arguably the core age group for 90s nostalgia. The Crash Bandicoot Generation.

-Born after 9/11 and during an era of division, economic downturn and dreariness in the US in the early 2000s during the Iraq War's height, followed by the crash of 2008 and who grew up to see the ongoing recession. The first generation to not know a world without Landlines, Smart Phones, Social Media, or the Internet; the first generation that would more easily remember streaming services rather than videostores. The first generation to grow up with Rap Music as the most popular American music genre. The Undertale Generation.

If by smartphones you mean "iPhones", then I disagree. I was born in 2002 and can remember 2006 pretty vividly. That was the last year before iPhones.

Pretty much almost everyone born in the 90's can't remember a time without the Internet. I'm not sure what makes you think people born in 2001 are the last who can remember a time before the Internet when it was a thing well before they were born.  ;D Hell, this forum that we're using is older than them.

Also, people born in 2000 and 2001 didn't even exist in the 90's, so how on this beautiful planet of earth could they possibly be the core age group of 90's nostalgia? And people born in the late 90's don't even remember the 90's at all. No offense, but your definitions don't make any sense.

Also, keep in mind there are 2001 borns who were born after 9/11.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/02/18 at 5:40 pm

If by smartphones you mean "iPhones", then I disagree. I was born in 2002 and can remember 2006 pretty vividly. That was the last year before iPhones.

Pretty much almost everyone born in the 90's can't remember a time without the Internet. I'm not sure what makes you think people born in 2001 are the last who can remember a time before the Internet when it was a thing well before they were born.  ;D Hell, this forum that we're using is older than them.

Also, people born in 2000 and 2001 didn't even exist in the 90's, so how on this beautiful planet of earth could they possibly be the core age group of 90's nostalgia? And people born in the late 90's don't even remember the 90's at all. No offense, but your definitions don't make any sense.

Your generation spans are too short. There's no way a generation will last less than a decade, and the 2001 cutoff for millennials is mostly outdated now, as many on this forum now agree that 1997 may be the start for Gen Z.

Most sources on Wikipedia are using either 1997 or 2001 as the start for Gen Z. The earliest one listed uses 1993 (Statistics Canada), while the latest uses 2005 (Strauss & Howe).
This basically means 1993-2004 is disputed, but 1997-2000 is the true cusp range since only a small minority of sources use a start date outside of 1997 or 2001.
At a compromise to all these sources, 1993-1996 would be Late Y, 1997-2000 would be Y/Z cusps, and 2001-2004 would be Early Z.

Written By: unicornic on 05/02/18 at 5:40 pm

I’m a 2001 baby born after 9/11. So would I be on the cusp? ???

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 5:46 pm

Most sources on Wikipedia are using either 1997 or 2001 as the start for Gen Z. The earliest one listed uses 1993 (Statistics Canada), while the latest uses 2005 (Strauss & Howe).
At a compromise to all these sources, 1993-1996 would be Late Y, 1997-2000 would be Y/Z cusps, and 2001-2004 would be Early Z.

Yeah, this is actually the first time I've heard someone say 2002 is the start of Gen Z, which is something I don't agree with. Not trying to "fit in" or anything, but there are so many reasons why 2000-2001 and even some late 90's babies belong solely to Gen Z. I can't figure out why 2000 would belong to millennials, nevermind 2001.

Written By: unicornic on 05/02/18 at 5:51 pm

Oh my god. This is laughably incorrect

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 5:54 pm

Only people born after 2001 listen mostly to rap music.  ::) ;D

Written By: unicornic on 05/02/18 at 6:00 pm

Only people born after 2001 listen mostly to rap music.  ::) ;D

Only people born after 2001 grew up seeing the recession. If you were born before, you were blinded and couldn’t see the ongoing recession

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 6:02 pm

Only people born after 2001 grew up seeing the recession. If you were born before, you were blinded and couldn’t see the ongoing recession

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 6:03 pm

It's not.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2018/01/03/rap-overtakes-rock-most-popular-genre-among-music-fans-heres-why/990873001/

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/rap-music-rock-most-popular-genre-us-nielsen-music-report-2017-kendrick-lamar-ed-sheeran-drake-top-a8141086.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/hip-hop-passes-rock-most-popular-music-genre-nielsen-2018-1

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/hip-hop-dethrones-rock-most-consumed-music-genre-u-s-article-1.3336085

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/05/hip-hop-and-rb-overtake-rock-as-biggest-music-genre-in-us

All articles say the same thing.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 6:04 pm

It's not.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2018/01/03/rap-overtakes-rock-most-popular-genre-among-music-fans-heres-why/990873001/

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/rap-music-rock-most-popular-genre-us-nielsen-music-report-2017-kendrick-lamar-ed-sheeran-drake-top-a8141086.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/hip-hop-passes-rock-most-popular-music-genre-nielsen-2018-1

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/hip-hop-dethrones-rock-most-consumed-music-genre-u-s-article-1.3336085

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/05/hip-hop-and-rb-overtake-rock-as-biggest-music-genre-in-us

Oh no, I agree with that. We're not saying that rap isn't the most popular music genre. It's the fact that he thinks people born in 2002 are the first to grow up mostly with rap being a popular music genre. That's false.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 6:08 pm

Oh no, I agree with that. We're not saying that rap isn't the most popular music genre. It's the fact that he thinks people born in 2002 are the first to grow up mostly with rap being a popular music genre. That's false.

Um, no because rap became the most popular music genre in the US in 2017. So that means people who are growing up now (aka Gen Z) is the first generation to grow up with rap being the most popular musical genre.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 6:09 pm

Um, no because rap became the most popular music genre in the US in 2017. So that means people who are growing up now (aka Gen Z) is the first generation to grow up with rap being the most popular musical genre.

Exactly. And people born in 2000 and 2001 were still in high school in 2017. I don't know what you're trying to say.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/02/18 at 6:22 pm

It's not.

Wait, this means Rock was most popular genre this whole decade despite its mainstream decline?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 6:41 pm

Exactly. And people born in 2000 and 2001 were still in high school in 2017. I don't know what you're trying to say.

Are people born in 2000-2001 the only members of Gen Z?

C'mon.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/02/18 at 6:42 pm

Baby Boomers: 1945-1964
Early Boomers: 1945-1954
Generation Jones (Late Boomers): 1955-1964

Generation X: 1965-1979

Generation Y/Millennials: 1980-1999
Generation Y: 1980-1989
Millennials: 1990-1999

Generation Z: 2000-2014

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 6:43 pm

Wait, this means Rock was most popular genre this whole decade despite its mainstream decline?

I'm not 100% sure but I guess so.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 6:49 pm

Are people born in 2000-2001 the only members of Gen Z?

C'mon.

You're missing the point. If rap became the most popular music genre in 2017, that would mean not just people born in 2002 and after like the OP said, but anyone in school basically. Like middle school, high school, college, etc. What I was trying to say is that people born in 2002 and after are not the only group of people who grew up mostly with rap music being the most popular genre.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 6:53 pm

You're missing the point. If rap became the most popular music genre in 2017, that would mean not just people born in 2002 and after like the OP said, but anyone in school basically. Like middle school, high school, college, etc. What I was trying to say is that people born in 2002 and after are not the only group of people who grew up mostly with rap music being the most popular genre.

Um...I honestly don't even know what you're trying to say :-\\.

Anyways, I'll just go back to moderating :-\\.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 6:59 pm

Um...I honestly don't even know what you're trying to say :-\\.

Anyways, I'll just go back to moderating :-\\.

Written By: d90 on 05/02/18 at 7:11 pm

Missionary Generation 1860-1882
Lost Generation 1883-1900
Greatest Generation 1901-1927
Silent Generation 1928-1945
Baby Boomers 1945-1964
Generation X 1965-1981
Millennials 1982-1999
Generation Z 2000- Abt 2016-2017
To be named 2018-

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 05/02/18 at 7:15 pm

I'll just say what I generally consider the four most recent generations (besides Alpha).

Baby Boomers: 1945-1964

Gen X: 1965-1979

Millennials: 1980-1994

Gen Z: 1995-2009

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 7:17 pm

Missionary Generation 1860-1882
Lost Generation 1883-1900
Greatest Generation 1901-1927
Silent Generation 1928-1945
Baby Boomers 1945-1964
Generation X 1965-1981
Millennials 1982-1999
Generation Z 2000- Abt 2016-2017
To be named 2018-

That's the first time I've ever heard of that :o.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/02/18 at 7:18 pm

Not what I said though. I said the first generation to grow up with Rap as THE dominant genre. Obviously, 80s and 90s kids grew up with Rap as A popular genre - one of a few. But I'd argue that Gen Z is the first to experience Rap/Hip Hop as the most popular genre; as such they're the generation who embraced the genre the most, with rap/hip hop sales in the last few years displacing rock.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 7:21 pm

This thread proves that there are only 2-3 generations that have a universally agreed definition (The Greatest Generation, The Silent Generation & Baby Boomers).

Every other generation is up for debate but it's mostly just silly and shouldn't be take seriously.

I identify as a late Millennial (also, a Gen Y/Z cusper) but it doesn't matter at the end of the day.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 7:21 pm

Not what I said though. I said the first generation to grow up with Rap as THE dominant genre. Obviously, 80s and 90s kids grew up with Rap as A popular genre - one of a few. But I'd argue that Gen Z is the first to experience Rap/Hip Hop as the most popular genre; as such they're the generation who embraced the genre the most, with rap/hip hop sales in the last few years displacing rock.

Exactly. I disagree with 2002 being the first to grow up with rap as the dominant genre. Plenty of 2000-2001 and college-aged students I know have grown up with rap as being the most dominant genre, and they love it as well.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/02/18 at 7:22 pm

That's the first time I've ever heard of that :o.

It's been mentioned before, in the book Generations which came out back in '91. I think they're called such because they're the generation which had the "Second Great Awakening" of spirituality here IIRC.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 7:24 pm

It's been mentioned before, in the book Generations which came out back in '91. I think they're called such because they're the generation which had the "Second Great Awakening" of spirituality here IIRC.

Oh OK, I see.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 7:25 pm

Exactly. I disagree with 2002 being the first to grow up with rap as the dominant genre. Plenty of 2000-2001 and college-aged students I know have grown up with rap as being the most dominant genre, and they love it as well.

You don't seem to be understanding the point me and 90sGuy are making.

https://media.tenor.com/images/3052bf03b4838ce2913fe44815d36f23/tenor.gif

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/02/18 at 7:27 pm

It doesn't really matter. They're saying the majority of Zers are growing up with rap as the dominant genre. 2000 & 2001 are only two years, plus they're Y/Z cusps anyway. It's not a bad thing.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 7:29 pm

It doesn't really matter. They're saying the majority of Zers are growing up with rap as the dominant genre. 2000 & 2001 are only two years, plus they're Y/Z cusps anyway. It's not a bad thing.

Yeah, that's it!

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/02/18 at 7:35 pm

I know most put Gen Z starting at 2001, but I really feel 9/11 was such a gigantic cultural game-changer (in much the way that WWII was or Vietnam was) that those who were born before 9/11, and those who were born after, were born in two very different America's, and to a lesser extent, two very different worlds.

It's the same reason I put the first wave of Millenials being born before the Fall of the USSR. While tensions with the USSR were cooling down, a parent having a child in 1990 or even in the first months of 1991 couldn't rule out the thought that tensions would flare up again (after all, the 1970s had been a period of Detente with the Soviets, only to be followed by the 80s being as tense as the early 60s); in essence, while the Soviet Union existed, so did the Cold War and with it, a world divided into two hemispheres and with the possibility of a nuclear exchange possibility happening at some point. I've read that even many experts were surprised when the USSR fell. So your average 1990 family probably thought the Soviets would around for a while.

9/11, WW2, WWI, The Great Depression, Vietnam, The Fall of the USSR are all massive, world-changing events. These events changed the world on a macro scale, effecting almost every country directly or indirectly; Thus they can help to define generations. Lesser (but still very important) events which were gamechangers and help to define generations include things like the JFK Assassination, Korea, the fall of the Berlin Wall and the Space Race

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 7:48 pm

I know most put Gen Z starting at 2001, but I really feel 9/11 was such a gigantic cultural game-changer (in much the way that WWII was or Vietnam was) that those who were born before 9/11, and those who were born after, were born in two very different America's, and to a lesser extent, two very different worlds.

It's the same reason I put the first wave of Millenials being born before the Fall of the USSR. While tensions with the USSR were cooling down, a parent having a child in 1990 or even in the first months of 1991 couldn't rule out the thought that tensions would flare up again (after all, the 1970s had been a period of Detente with the Soviets, only to be followed by the 80s being as tense as the early 60s); in essence, while the Soviet Union existed, so did the Cold War and with it, a world divided into two hemispheres and with the possibility of a nuclear exchange possibility happening at some point. I've read that even many experts were surprised when the USSR fell. So your average 1990 family probably thought the Soviets would around for a while.

9/11, WW2, WWI, The Great Depression, Vietnam, The Fall of the USSR are all massive, world-changing events. These events changed the world on a macro scale, effecting almost every country directly or indirectly; Thus they can help to define generations. Lesser (but still very important) events which were gamechangers and help to define generations include things like the JFK Assassination, Korea, the fall of the Berlin Wall and the Space Race

How when the Cold War was literally coming to an end in 1990? ???

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 7:53 pm

I already know that they're saying that the majority of Generation Z is growing up with rap as the dominant genre. Also, how do you know that people born in 2000 and 2001 are Y/Z Cusps? That's solely an opinion and it isn't factual. I don't get what your point is.

But 9/11 didn't affect people who were still sh!tting their diapers and sucking their mom's tits when it happened. That's the thing. Just being born before 9/11 isn't enough to qualify as a millennial, especially when you don't even remember it.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/02/18 at 8:02 pm

I identify as a late Millennial (also, a Gen Y/Z cusper) but it doesn't matter at the end of the day.

I totally agree, at this point (and this has been the last year or so for me) I don't care if I'm called Gen Y/Millennial or Gen Z. Being part of either generation has its pros and cons, but apparently the millennial generation gets shamed and made fun of A LOT more than Gen Z and it's not even close. Being the lead or oldest age for Gen Z is pretty fun at times I'm not gonna lie. If you're past Gen X (and I mean definite, born after 1979) you're screwed no matter what.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/02/18 at 8:03 pm

How when the Cold War was literally coming to an end in 1990? ???

The Cold War had several periods where peaceful coexistence was the reality only to have that reality rapidly end. In 1960, it seemed like Eisenhower and Khrushchev were set for a thaw in the Cold War, and the U2 incident derailed that. You had Detente in the 1970s which basically was an end to the Cold War, and as soon as Nixon left office, Detente began to end. The relaxing of tensions from 1985 onward was a result of Mikhail Gorbachev's policies. There was no way for your average family in 1990 to predict that the USSR would fall, much less that Mikhail's successor would continue the same policies.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 8:05 pm

I totally agree, at this point (and this has been the last year or so for me) I don't care if I'm called Gen Y/Millennial or Gen Z. Being part of either generation has its pros and cons, but apparently the millennial generation gets shamed and made fun of A LOT more than Gen Z and it's not even close. Being the lead or oldest age for Gen Z is pretty fun at times I'm not gonna lie. If you're past Gen X (and I mean definite, born after 1979) you're screwed no matter what.

Yeah, that's true. I feel the same way.

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 05/02/18 at 8:07 pm

I don't believe in generations. Choose your own destiny.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 8:08 pm

The Cold War had several periods where peaceful coexistence was the reality only to have that reality rapidly end. In 1960, it seemed like Eisenhower and Khrushchev were set for a thaw in the Cold War, and the U2 incident derailed that. You had Detente in the 1970s which basically was an end to the Cold War, and as soon as Nixon left office, Detente began to end. The relaxing of tensions from 1985 onward was a result of Mikhail Gorbachev's policies. There was no way for your average family in 1990 to predict that the USSR would fall, much less that Mikhail's successor would continue the same policies.

Why not?

The Berlin Wall fell at the end of 1989, President George H. W. Bush and Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev declared an end to the Cold War at the Malta Summit on December 3, 1989 and Germany reunified in 1990.

Most Americans were definitely aware that the Cold War was ending in 1990. In 1990, most Americans were preparing for the world AFTER the Soviet Union and Bush 41 was talking about "a new world order".

Written By: Dr. Mario on 05/02/18 at 8:23 pm

"Millenials" Tier I: 1981-1992
-The last Generation of Americans to be born or grow up during the Cold War. The generation which grew up loving Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Ghostbusters, Power Rangers, Pokemon (essentially, the Generation which grew up with the first gigantic toy and multi-media oriented 'kid fads') The first generation to really be born or grow up during the age of the home computer and with video game consoles as an affordable reality. The generation which grew up with the Atari 2600, Sega Master System, Nintendo, Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis. The generation which saw the popularization of CD players, and then later MP3 players. The first agegroup who would've had middle class parents owning a cell phone. The last generation to grow up without the modern Internet for at least part of their childhoods. Arguably the core agegroup for 80s nostalgia. The Sonic and Mario Generation.

I was born four days after 2001, so you already know how this makes me feel...

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 8:24 pm

http://www.thecoli.com/data/emoticons/6/919c0a8edaa80332f075830a37b31596.png?t=1490325770

;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 8:29 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
IMO It's pretty inaccurate anyway.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/02/18 at 8:36 pm

I knew this thread was going to create a lot of controversy.

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 05/02/18 at 8:37 pm

I knew this thread was going to create a lot of controversy.

Hehe yeah. Generations mean nothing.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 05/02/18 at 8:39 pm

Also, I feel like at this point, some people just like to let 2001 babies ride the backseat, because "I don't remember 9/11, but I can say I was alive during it." I don't actually think the 9/11 cutoffs are accurate for Y/Z cutoffs, but 90s Guy sure as hell does. A 1983 baby and a 2001 baby had completely different experiences, in fact, many 1981-1983 babies have kids born in the early 2000's. 1981-1983 babies graduated during the turn of the millennium. 2000-2001 babies will graduate during the last two years of the 2010's, during the peak of Trump's first term. 1995-2001 babies need to get off their high horse about this sheesh and accept they're Gen Z already.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 8:41 pm

Also, I feel like at this point, some people just like to let 2001 babies ride the backseat, because "I don't remember 9/11, but I can say I was alive during it." I don't actually think the 9/11 cutoffs are accurate for Y/Z cutoffs, but 90s Guy sure as hell does. A 1983 baby and a 2001 baby had completely different experiences, in fact, many 1981-1983 babies have kids born in the early 2000's. 1981-1983 babies graduated during the turn of the millennium. 2000-2001 babies will graduate during the last two years of the 2010's, during the peak of Trump's first term. 1995-2001 babies need to get off their high horse about this sheesh and accept they're Gen Z already.

I wish I could karma this more than once.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 8:42 pm

You're showing a bit of insecurity here.

Also, this thread was created by someone born in the early '90s.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 05/02/18 at 8:49 pm

90s Guy is using 1981-2001 for the Millennials range.

Well, a 1981 baby and a 2001 baby is a huge generation gap, but you could also say the same about some conservative ranges for Millennials.

A 1977 baby and a 1995 baby is also a huge generation gap. What I'm getting at is, 20+ years for a generation is too long, in my opinion. I don't actually have a clear cut opinion on what the generation ranges should be, but being in the same generation as someone who was born the same year you graduated high school is a bit iffy.

I'm aware generations aren't supposed to be this linear, but still, I think generational ranges should be roughly 15 years rather than 20+ years.

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 05/02/18 at 8:50 pm

The disputing and controversy over generation cutoffs is absolutely real in this thread.
inthe00s.com should start to prohibit generation threads.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 8:51 pm

90s Guy is using 1981-2001 for the Millennials range.

Well, a 1981 baby and a 2001 baby is a huge generation gap, but you could also say the same about some conservative ranges for Millennials.

A 1977 baby and a 1995 baby is also a huge generation gap. What I'm getting at is, 20+ years for a generation is too long, in my opinion. I don't actually have a clear cut opinion on what the generation ranges should be, but being in the same generation as someone who was born the same year you graduated high school is a bit iffy.

I'm aware generations aren't supposed to be this linear, but still, I think generational ranges should be roughly 15 years rather than 20+ years.

Yeah and do you think 1946 borns like being lumped in with 1964 borns?

That's just generations, you don't have to like them and at the end of the day, they don't really matter too much.

Stop stressing over this.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 05/02/18 at 8:53 pm

The disputing and controversy over generation cutoffs is absolutely real in this thread.
inthe00s.com should start to prohibit generation threads.

They already kinda do. There was a very similar thread about generational spans. The moderators left that one up for people who are interested in the topic. Though, that thread was forgotten, and now we have this thread.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 05/02/18 at 9:06 pm

Yeah and do you think 1946 borns like being lumped in with 1964 borns?

That's just generations, you don't have to like them and at the end of the day, they don't really matter too much.

Stop stressing over this.

I'm just bringing light to the problem with 20+ year generation spans. I was bashing on the 1981-2001 span, but then I took a second to think, and came to the conclusion that the 1977-1995 span is just as problematic. Now that you brought it up, the OP actually split the Boomers, as well as other generations, in halves. And I'll be completely honest, I misread "Millennials Tier II: 1993-2001" and I thought it said "1983-2001". Honest mistake! ;D

And you're right. I'll let this topic go now.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 9:10 pm

At the end of the day, generations are not set in stone and there still isn't a definitive cutoff for Gen X, Gen Y, and Gen Z. Being the first birth year in a generation will not make you any different from people only a year older than you. This is one of the main reasons why talking about cutoffs for generations causes so many arguments. Because people don't want to be associated with someone a lot younger than them who obviously grew up differently. They would rather be with people a year older than them than people who are like nine years younger. That's the problem with generations, is that there isn't going to be a clear-cut cutoff that'll make people born in a certain year drastically different from people born only one year earlier. There is never a big difference between someone only a year older.

The moderators should actually enforce a ban on generational threads. Not only do they cause a lot of arguments, but it's not necessarily what inthe00s was originally about, and generations are not set in stone anyway. I know I contributed to this thread, but thinking about it now I really do feel as if threads like these should start being banned.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 9:14 pm

I'm just bringing light to the problem with 20+ year generation spans. I was bashing on the 1981-2001 span, but then I took a second to think, and came to the conclusion that the 1977-1995 span is just as problematic. Now that you brought it up, the OP actually split the Boomers, as well as other generations, in halves. And I'll be completely honest, I misread "Millennials Tier II: 1993-2001" and I thought it said "1983-2001". Honest mistake! ;D

And you're right. I'll let this topic go now.

The OP put Millennial Tier I as 1981-1992 and Millennial Tier II as 1993-2001. I still disagree with that, but again it's not set in stone anyway.

Written By: unicornic on 05/02/18 at 9:20 pm

I was born in 2001 and I don’t see myself close to being a millennial honestly. I don’t remember life before internet or 9/11. I wasn’t even halfway through my childhood yet when the iPhone came out. In my opinion 2001 is a better starting point for generation z than 2002

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 05/02/18 at 9:40 pm

I was born in 2001 and I don’t see myself close to being a millennial honestly. I don’t remember life before internet or 9/11. I wasn’t even halfway through my childhood yet when the iPhone came out. In my opinion 2001 is a better starting point for generation z than 2002

I was born in 1999 and don't see myself as being close to a Millennial either despite what people say on this forum. I can't even relate with all the Y/Z cusp stuff people talk about here.

I feel like it'd be better if the concept of categorizing generations was thrown away entirely, at least the way it's done currently.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/02/18 at 9:58 pm

I was born in 1999 and don't see myself as being close to a Millennial either despite what people say on this forum. I can't even relate with all the Y/Z cusp stuff people talk about here.

I feel like it'd be better if the concept of categorizing generations was thrown away entirely, at least the way it's done currently.

And I have more posts than you.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 05/02/18 at 10:00 pm

And I have more posts than you.

Yes, you do. I'm confused though, what are you mentioning it for? (Just out of curiosity)

Written By: mqg96 on 05/02/18 at 10:04 pm

Nothing wrong with being Generation Z at all. In fact, over the last year or so Gen Z (especially the early wave) seems a lot cooler than the late millennial followers (like me but I'm on the cusp honestly) who get shamed on every single day and I have to hear it on news and radio stations all the time. I could literally record all the morning podcasts (in my car) on my way to college and share it with y'all on these boards.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 10:05 pm

Nothing wrong with being Generation Z at all. In fact, over the last year or so Gen Z (especially the early wave) seems a lot cooler than the late millennial followers (like me but I'm on the cusp honestly) who get shamed on every single day and I have to hear it on news and radio stations all the time. I could literally record all the morning podcasts (in my car) on my way to college and share it with y'all on these boards.

You should share it. :P

Written By: unicornic on 05/03/18 at 5:29 am

Yeah, OP doesn’t know what he’s talking about. I’m not the age group for 90 nostalgia. What the hell? I didn’t even exist in the 20th century for crying out loud 😂 and really? “Generation Z (2002-??) First generation not to know a world without the Internet”  what year was the internet released, 2004? ??? People born in the 90s can’t really remember life before Internet either

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/03/18 at 6:18 am

Yeah, OP doesn’t know what he’s talking about. I’m not the age group for 90 nostalgia. What the hell? I didn’t even exist in the 20th century for crying out loud 😂 and really? “Generation Z (2002-??) First generation not to know a world without the Internet”  what year was the internet released, 2004? ??? People born in the 90s can’t really remember life before Internet either

Lmao I wholeheartedly agree. This is the most inaccurate span and especially descriptions of generations I’ve seen on the Internet so far IMO.

Let’s just let this topic go now.

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/03/18 at 7:27 am

The Internet didn't start its current form until 1995 (and even then, still very primitive). I can't speak for everyone my age, but I didn't use the Internet until the late 90s and certainly remember life before it. It didn't even become part of my daily life until around 2002. People born prior to me, in the 80s, probably remember even more of a life without it.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/03/18 at 8:23 am

Yeah that's false. The release of Internet Explorer or when the majority of homes had broadband internet instead of dial up doesn't matter. The WWW was released in 1991, and that's when the internet was officially released to the public. It just started growing and growing as years went by and before you know it homes started having internet instead of just major businesses or jobs, people upgraded to versions of computers (such as Windows XP) with higher speed, and eventually internet evolved into the social media era we've been in for the last decade or so. If you don't remember when the WWW was released in 1991, then you don't remember a time before internet period.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/03/18 at 8:45 am

World Wide Web is not the same thing as the Internet.

We use those terms interchangeably but they aren't the same thing.

The Web is what we use not the internet and the Web was created in 1989 by Brit Tim Berners-Lee.

The Web wouldn't become popular until the release of Windows 95.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/03/18 at 8:56 am

Yeah that's false. The release of Internet Explorer or when the majority of homes had broadband internet instead of dial up doesn't matter. The WWW was released in 1991, and that's when the internet was officially released to the public. It just started growing and growing as years went by and before you know it homes started having internet instead of just major businesses or jobs, people upgraded to versions of computers (such as Windows XP) with higher speed, and eventually internet evolved into the social media era we've been in for the last decade or so. If you don't remember when the WWW was released in 1991, then you don't remember a time before internet period.

The World Wide Web was actually released in 1989, not 1991.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/03/18 at 9:00 am

World Wide Web is not the same thing as the Internet.

We use those terms interchangeably but they aren't the same thing.

The Web is what we use not the internet and the Web was created in 1989 by Brit Tim Berners-Lee.

The Web wouldn't become popular until the release of Windows 95.

People used the internet for businesses and jobs between 1991-1995. That's what I've been told by folks older than me for years. Between 1991-present, the internet has just grown and grown in ways. Internet Explorer being released for Windows 95 is just when homes were be able to access the internet, and even then it was really really slow and annoying. The internet was already around for other stuff. Then as time went on, more homes started having internet. Then people went from dial up to broadband to speed up their internet. Then before you know it, the social media era begins. Then before you know it, people are glued to their computers for faster internet and social media. Then before you know it, people can start having internet everywhere they go on their phones, iPad's, etc. It was a gradual process from 1991 and on wards. I don't like using 1995 as the start of the internet or the early 2000's as the start of broadband or whatever. That's why people say the majority of the "millennial" generation is the first generation who can't remember a world before the internet (or WWW), because it's very true.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/03/18 at 9:03 am

The World Wide Web was actually released in 1989, not 1991.

The general public has had it since August 6, 1991, and that's when the internet started being used a lot more frequently in general (even if Internet Explorer (which is a Windows BROWSER app) wasn't released until 1995). People in 2018 use the internet a lot more often than 2006, because of high speed internet on our phones and small devices everywhere we go. However, the public did use the internet more frequently in 2006 than let's say 1999.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/03/18 at 9:10 am

People used the internet for businesses and jobs between 1991-1995. That's what I've been told by folks older than me for years. Between 1991-present, the internet has just grown and grown in ways. Internet Explorer being released for Windows 95 is just when homes were be able to access the internet, and even then it was really really slow and annoying. The internet was already around for other stuff. Then as time went on, more homes started having internet. Then people went from dial up to broadband to speed up their internet. Then before you know it, the social media era begins. Then before you know it, people are glued to their computers for faster internet and social media. Then before you know it, people can start having internet everywhere they go on their phones, iPad's, etc. It was a gradual process from 1991 and on wards. I don't like using 1995 as the start of the internet or the early 2000's as the start of broadband or whatever. That's why people say the majority of the "millennial" generation is the first generation who can't remember a world before the internet (or WWW), because it's very true.

Bro, the World Wide Web IS NOT the same thing as the Internet

Why do you think there is a "www." in the URL for this site?

Written By: mqg96 on 05/03/18 at 9:14 am

Bro, the World Wide Web IS NOT the same thing as the Internet

Why do you think there is a "www." in the URL for this site?

I know that, but if you read a bunch of articles online, it'll tell you several times when the WWW was released in 1991 that's when the internet became more public, and that is a fact. Go type in google "When did the internet become public?" The url "WWW" is when the internet became big in the U.S.

I NEVER SAID that the WWW was the same thing as the internet lol. "WWW" being released in 1991 had an IMPACT on internet in the U.S. and that is factual. Straight up. 1995 is when the Internet Explorer browser was released on Windows and that's when the internet became more popular in homes as time went on. It's just like how Google Chrome and Firefox are the browsers that have taken over now.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/03/18 at 11:40 am

I know that, but if you read a bunch of articles online, it'll tell you several times when the WWW was released in 1991 that's when the internet became more public, and that is a fact. Go type in google "When did the internet become public?" The url "WWW" is when the internet became big in the U.S.

I NEVER SAID that the WWW was the same thing as the internet lol. "WWW" being released in 1991 had an IMPACT on internet in the U.S. and that is factual. Straight up. 1995 is when the Internet Explorer browser was released on Windows and that's when the internet became more popular in homes as time went on. It's just like how Google Chrome and Firefox are the browsers that have taken over now.

You see this where the confusion starts and why people think that the Web and the Internet are the same thing. The Web uses the internet but WE personally as humans use the Web not the Internet.

The Internet is just a interconnected system of computer networks that use the Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link devices worldwide. The Web is WHAT WE ACTUALLY SEE AND USE. WE NEVER SEE THE INTERNET BECAUSE WE DON'T ACTUALLY USE IT.

The Web was created in 1989 by Tim Berners-Lee and when the Internet became in August 1991, the Web was made accessible by using the Internet in order so that the public could use the Web. Got it?

If you still don't get it, here is an article for you: https://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/Web_vs_Internet.asp

Written By: meesa on 05/03/18 at 11:55 am

Discussion and debate is fine.
Arguments are not.
Simmer down, gang, or I will lock it.

Thank you!

Written By: mqg96 on 05/03/18 at 12:20 pm

You see this where the confusion starts and why people think that the Web and the Internet are the same thing. The Web uses the internet but WE personally as humans use the Web not the Internet.

The Internet is just a interconnected system of computer networks that use the Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) to link devices worldwide. The Web is WHAT WE ACTUALLY SEE AND USE. WE NEVER SEE THE INTERNET BECAUSE WE DON'T ACTUALLY USE IT.

The Web was created in 1989 by Tim Berners-Lee and when the Internet became in August 1991, the Web was made accessible by using the Internet in order so that the public could use the Web. Got it?

If you still don't get it, here is an article for you: https://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Internet/Web_vs_Internet.asp

Not reading the article, because I already get it. Don't blame me though because the public keeps saying "we use the internet" when we're actually using the web. Remembering a time before websites were being used by the public is my whole point here, and that's 1991, bottom line, NOT 1995. 1995 is just when the Internet Explorer browser came. Explorer is a web browser. Chrome is a web browser. Firefox is a web browser, and so forth.

But let's be honest, when society talks about "remember a time before internet", we're always talking about remembering a time before the WWW was being used by the public. Despite it being 2 different definitions (and I'm not disagreeing with you, you're absolutely right, but a lot of people don't get it unfortunately). Like I said before from 1991-present it's just grown. It was slow in the 90's, then it got faster in the 2000's once broad bands replaced dial up then the social media era came in and grew making everybody glued to their screens. It was a long process. We may remember a time before social media, high speed internet, and web browsers on phones, but we don't remember a time before websites were available to the public in general (and neither does the majority of the millennial generation).

Written By: mqg96 on 05/03/18 at 12:20 pm

Discussion and debate is fine.
Arguments are not.
Simmer down, gang, or I will lock it.

Thank you!

Black Panther and I are absolutely cool.  ;)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/03/18 at 12:35 pm

Not reading the article, because I already get it. Don't blame me though because the public keeps saying "we use the internet" when we're actually using the web. Remembering a time before websites were being used by the public is my whole point here, and that's 1991, bottom line, NOT 1995. 1995 is just when the Internet Explorer browser came. Explorer is a web browser. Chrome is a web browser. Firefox is a web browser, and so forth.

But let's be honest, when society talks about "remember a time before internet", we're always talking about remembering a time before the WWW was being used by the public. Despite it being 2 different definitions (and I'm not disagreeing with you, you're absolutely right, but a lot of people don't get it unfortunately). Like I said before from 1991-present it's just grown. It was slow in the 90's, then it got faster in the 2000's once broad bands replaced dial up then the social media era came in and grew making everybody glued to their screens. It was a long process. We may remember a time before social media, high speed internet, and web browsers on phones, but we don't remember a time before websites were available to the public in general (and neither does the majority of the millennial generation).

Yeah, that's what I was saying :P.

Black Panther and I are absolutely cool.  ;)

Of course 8).

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/03/18 at 2:12 pm

But did 9/11 have any affect on those who were only infants or toddlers at the time? Just being born before 9/11 isn’t enough to qualify as a millennial, and nor does it give you any Y influence. Someone born in 1993 was obviously old enough to remember 9/11. A person born in 2001 was barely alive before it even happened, and has no memory of a pre-9/11 world.
Sure, it might be easier to define a generation based on what event they were born before or after since that’s usually set in stone, but it doesn’t take into consideration who was actually impacted and who was old enough to remember it at the time. That’s what generations are really about. Not just being born before or after an event that you don’t even remember at all.

This is one of the reasons why I’m not a fan of the 9/11 cutoff, as not only is it vague, but it’s also too Americentric and everyone’s memory is different.

Anyway, I know I said before I’ll let this topic go, but I wanted to get this off my chest because too many people believe that simply being born not long before an event that you have no memory of is enough to qualify as a certain generation, which is far from the truth.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 05/03/18 at 5:20 pm

I've met people born in 1985 who say they don't relate to Millennials at all, as well as people born in 1980 who say they feel much closer to Millennials than Gen X. Its not exact.

I think it's partially because Millennials who don't fit the stereotype of the lazy, entitled, smartphone addicted Millennial, don't want to associate with Millennials who ARE lazy and entitled. These 1985 babies you're referring to don't fit the stereotype and they hate their own fellow Millennials, I call this, Millennial Denial. These 1980 babies you're referring to feel more like Millennials, and I'm not saying they fit the stereotype, I'm saying they've probably seen past the stereotypes and have accept/come to terms with being Millennials.

Written By: Dr. Mario on 05/03/18 at 6:47 pm

That and also, the tech differences between someone born in 85 and Someone born in 95 often factor in to why 82-85 babies are triggered over being Millennials

While the tech differences are big, people born in '85 came of age in the 21st century, ever since around 1998, the world has been booming in technology. They might have spent their childhood in a pre-1998 world, before the world became technology-dependent, but they've spent their whole adult life in a 21st century, tech obsessed world, and I think that's what defines a Millennial.

Though, I do realize that technological development, no only in certain countries, but even in certain states, can differ. Here's something a user on Personality Cafe said in regards to Millennials;

The biggest issue to that is that we aren't nearly as homogenized as the other generations. Millennial from Texas is drastically different than an Millennial from New York, different from one in Nebraska. We kind of got fudgeed over by the slow progression of technology. At the tail end of Millennials, I don't relate to the older Mills, and I have nothing in common with Y. Y has the benefit of already having technology that we have in already in place.

http://personalitycafe.com/generations/52493-argumentl-additional-cusp-forums-2.html

Written By: ofkx on 05/04/18 at 3:25 pm

2000 and 2001 borns are definitely NOT millennials. Anyone born in the 2000s is a Gen Zer. 1997-2002 are early Gen Z, 2003-2008 are core Gen Z, and 2009-2012 are late Gen Z.
This starter pack from Reddit perfectly shows the difference between Millennials and Gen Zers:
https://i.redditmedia.com/EVQ9IP47-Lp8ldJJtAM6G9qr1Mlb7dkDbletR6sbrGg.jpg?w=1024&s=440cbc68c7f07f8acfba49374c5d439e

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/04/18 at 3:29 pm

2000 and 2001 borns are definitely NOT millennials. Anyone born in the 2000s is a Gen Zer. 1997-2002 are early Gen Z, 2003-2008 are core Gen Z, and 2009-2012 are late Gen Z.
This starter pack from Reddit perfectly shows the difference between Millennials and Gen Zers:
https://i.redditmedia.com/EVQ9IP47-Lp8ldJJtAM6G9qr1Mlb7dkDbletR6sbrGg.jpg?w=1024&s=440cbc68c7f07f8acfba49374c5d439e

I relate to both Late Millennial culture and Early Gen Z culture (even a little bit of Core Millennial culture). That's why I consider myself to be a Late Millennial and/or Gen Y/Z cusper.

Stop trying to define us late '90s borns as only "early Gen Z".

We can decide what we are ourselves.

Written By: ofkx on 05/04/18 at 3:32 pm

I relate to both Late Millennial culture and Early Gen Z culture (even a little bit of Core Millennial culture). That's why I consider myself to be a Late Millennial and/or Gen Y/Z cusper.

Stop trying to define us late '90s borns as only "early Gen Z".

We can decide what we are ourselves.

This thread is asking for people's OPINIONS, and I'm giving my OPINION :).

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/04/18 at 3:42 pm

This thread is asking for people's OPINIONS, and I'm giving my OPINION :).

Well in this case, your opinion can't speak on a group you don't belong to :).

Written By: ofkx on 05/04/18 at 3:49 pm

Well in this case, your opinion can't speak on a group you don't belong to :).

You're joking, right? In that case, this whole thread is invalid since "your opinion can't speak on a group you don't belong to".

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/04/18 at 3:52 pm

You're joking, right? In that case, this whole thread is invalid since "your opinion can't speak on a group you don't belong to".

Of course, it is. That's why generationology is silly and supposed to be banned ;)

Written By: ofkx on 05/04/18 at 3:56 pm

Of course, it is. That's why generationology is silly and supposed to be banned ;)

Actually, I agree with you on that. This whole thread should be locked.

Written By: meesa on 05/04/18 at 4:52 pm

https://i.imgur.com/Q3I1QYQ.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...