inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Should Generationology Be Officially Banned on Inthe00s?

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/02/18 at 9:31 pm

In a way, generationology is sort of already banned, since most new topics that float it end up getting locked by the admins. However, there's no official ban for it.
Generationology is basically decadeology, only difference is you're far more likely to offend someone with it by making a cutoff someone else barely missed.
The overall attitude towards generationology now is more sour than it was 2-3 years ago, and most of the past topics related to generationology are now locked.
Should or shouldn't there be an official generationology ban on this site? Vote in the poll.

Subject: Re: Should Generationology Be Officially Banned on Inthe00s?

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 9:33 pm

Yes, please.

I actually thought of starting a petition with you for a ban on generation threads on inthe00s since we both agree that it should be banned.

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 05/02/18 at 9:46 pm

Generationology threads asking about when a generation starts and ends should be banned. However, threads that talk about a generation making an impact is alright in my book, as long as it doesn't cause controversy.

Written By: Wobo on 05/02/18 at 9:50 pm

Alright who voted no?

https://i.imgur.com/ZBWgdZc.jpg

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 9:51 pm

Generationology threads asking about when a generation starts and ends should be banned. However, threads that talk about a generation making an impact is alright in my book, as long as it doesn't cause controversy.

IMO I'd say this:

Ok:
"Is Generation Z influencing pop culture?"
"Has generation Z influenced politics yet?"
"Are we in generation Z culture?"

Not ok:
"What is the first core Z birth year?"
"What is the span of Generation Z?"
"I was born in (insert any year here) what generation am I?"

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 10:04 pm

Here are some more "Ok" and "Not ok" threads about generations:

Ok:
"Is Instagram more of a Generation Y or Z thing?"
"Is Generation Z more conservative?"
"How do you think Generation Z will influence pop culture?"
"Generation Z in the workforce"

Not ok:
"Are people born in "insert a year range year" on the Y/Z Cusp?"
"What is the cutoff for millennials?"
"I was born in (insert year here) but I don't relate to this generation"
"Are people born in the early 2000's Generation Y or Z?"

IMO it's fine to talk about the generation influencing pop culture since inthe00s is mainly about pop culture but to try and debate when it starts and ends should be banned.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 05/02/18 at 10:08 pm

Here are some more "Ok" and "Not ok" threads about generations:

Ok:
"Is Instagram more of a Generation Y or Z thing?"
"Is Generation Z more conservative?"
"How do you think Generation Z will influence pop culture?"
"Generation Z in the workforce"

Not ok:
"Are people born in "insert a year range year" on the Y/Z Cusp?"
"What is the cutoff for millennials?"
"I was born in (insert year here) but I don't relate to this generation"
"Are people born in the early 2000's Generation Y or Z?"

IMO it's fine to talk about the generation influencing pop culture since inthe00s is mainly about pop culture but to try and debate when it starts and ends should be banned.

I just made a "not ok" comment recently, but I agree with you completely. :P

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/02/18 at 10:12 pm

I just made a "not ok" comment recently, but I agree with you completely. :P

Time to ban you. Jk  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 05/02/18 at 10:17 pm

Time to ban you. Jk  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lol, I usually try to avoid posting those types of things, but saw my opinion wasn't represented and wasn't able to resist that time. ;D

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/02/18 at 10:27 pm

Lol, I usually try to avoid posting those types of things, but saw my opinion wasn't represented and wasn't able to resist that time. ;D

Dude, take that as a warning. At one point, I accidentally misspelled rainbow and she literally punched me through my laptop.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/02/18 at 10:40 pm

Decadeology is supposedly 'officially' banned on Inthe00s, yet the boards are still plagued by threads about 2007 being "95% 2000s" and the world changing in Summer 2001. Nothing will change as a result of this thread.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/02/18 at 10:45 pm

Decadeology is supposedly 'officially' banned on Inthe00s, yet the boards are still plagued by threads about 2007 being "95% 2000s" and the world changing in Summer 2001. Nothing will change as a result of this thread.

You really can't take the decadeology away from InThe00s because their honestly the one ofs that made this site what it is. Either it will happen or it doesn't and sad to say, it did.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 10:46 pm

Did you guys conveniently not read this thread?

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=57719.0

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/02/18 at 10:52 pm

We did and forgot about it.

I repeat, decadeology, IS, InThe00s. Its basically impossible for each not to coexist.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 05/02/18 at 10:52 pm

You really can't take the decadeology away from InThe00s because their honestly the one ofs that made this site what it is. Either it will happen or it doesn't and sad to say, it did.

If that's the case, why is decadeology "banned" on the forum then? If it's that much of an integral part of what inthe00s is, there should be no restrictions on it (even though they aren't really anyway).

I did, but it hasn't changed anything, that's the thing. People are still going to comment on those decadeology-type of threads, because they will find something that they disagree with in the OP of the thread and they will want to speak up about it. When you read comments about 2007 being "95% 2000s" or Late 2006 being the time when 'everything changed', it's going to cause debate.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 10:56 pm

I did, but it hasn't changed anything, that's the thing. People are still going to comment on those decadeology-type of threads, because they will find something that they disagree with in the OP of the thread and they will want to speak up about it. When you read comments about 2007 being "95% 2000s" or Late 2006 being the time when 'everything changed', it's going to cause debate.

If that's the case, then I'll just immediately lock or delete any threads related to dedicated to decadeology in the 2010s board.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 05/02/18 at 11:00 pm

Yeah, I just ignore decadeology posts. :) I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever actually posted in a thread about decadeology, it just seems so arbitrary to me.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/02/18 at 11:01 pm

Yeah, I just ignore decadeology posts. :) I could be wrong, but I don't think I've ever actually posted in a thread about decadeology, it just seems so arbitrary to me.

That's the mindset O0.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/02/18 at 11:05 pm

If that's the case, why is decadeology "banned" on the forum then? If it's that much of an integral part of what inthe00s is, there should be no restrictions on it (even though they aren't really anyway).

Decadeology is banned and we're communicated in a thread that was just made about banning the same topic. See that?

Decadeology is banned and yet, it still end up discussed.

Written By: Howard on 05/03/18 at 5:37 am

I think sometimes it just gets a bit way too much.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/03/18 at 10:02 am

As someone who was knee deep into the convos pertaining to decadeology and generationology 2-3 years ago, let me throw my 2 cents in. Personally, I am not against the idea of topics regarding generations or decades in theory. Even the so called "Is <insert year> more 90s or 00s" or "The cultural attitudes regarding <insert generation>" are pretty inoffensive. However, its when certain topics, in many cases that have already been settled (or deemed controversial), that continually harp on the same monotonous things over and over is when these conversations become unbearable. I've even become massively turned off by how vacuous these discussions have devolved into and have thus tried to avoid them like the plague. I'll take a bite here and there, but its usually short and brief.

For some of the younger members on the forum, I genuinely understand your guys grievances with these thread topics, because I get it, its annoying to hear topics about this subject over and over again, which at time leads to just annoying name calling and overall bad energy. However, despite how bad these conversations are now, I would actually encourage you guys to check out some older thread topics about generations to see how much more civil they were back in the day, this one I actually made a few years back:

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/unused/smf/1445986843.shtml

Hopefully you guys see that these topics don't have to be as toxic as they have devolved into now, but could actually be pretty interesting and stimulating. Sure you're bound to have some discourse on the boundaries of said generations, but at the same time they are typically respectful and offer some sort of agreement (or general disagreement, but respected nonetheless).

Who knows, hopefully these conversations could be pretty civil again. In the meantime though, I'll just say 'nah' just because I don't necessarily agree in the concept of banning it, but I do encourage mods to intervene if the conversations appear to be immensely controversial and thus prone to cause strife.

Written By: SpyroKev on 05/03/18 at 10:47 am

As someone who was knee deep into the convos pertaining to decadeology and generationology 2-3 years ago, let me throw my 2 cents in. Personally, I am not against the idea of topics regarding generations or decades in theory. Even the so called "Is <insert year> more 90s or 00s" or "The cultural attitudes regarding <insert generation>" are pretty inoffensive. However, its when certain topics, in many cases that have already been settled (or deemed controversial), that continually harp on the same monotonous things over and over is when these conversations become unbearable. I've even become massively turned off by how vacuous these discussions have devolved into and have thus tried to avoid them like the plague. I'll take a bite here and there, but its usually short and brief.

For some of the younger members on the forum, I genuinely understand your guys grievances with these thread topics, because I get it, its annoying to hear topics about this subject over and over again, which at time leads to just annoying name calling and overall bad energy. However, despite how bad these conversations are now, I would actually encourage you guys to check out some older thread topics about generations to see how much more civil they were back in the day, this one I actually made a few years back:

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/unused/smf/1445986843.shtml

Hopefully you guys see that these topics don't have to be as toxic as they have devolved into now, but could actually be pretty interesting and stimulating. Sure you're bound to have some discourse on the boundaries of said generations, but at the same time they are typically respectful and offer some sort of agreement (or general disagreement, but respected nonetheless).

Who knows, hopefully these conversations could be pretty civil again. In the meantime though, I'll just say 'nah' just because I don't necessarily agree in the concept of banning it, but I do encourage mods to intervene if the conversations appear to be immensely controversial and thus prone to cause strife.

Take my like, man.

Its common to note, there isn't any taking decadeology or whatever you refer to it away from InThe00s. I can't even see InThe00s without it accidentally discussed if I ever could.

Written By: meesa on 05/03/18 at 11:51 am

Locking because this is pointless. Decadeology was banned before. Now it is allowed.

As to 'generationology' if I see something that is clearly argumentative, meant to bait or offensive I will lock it.

So let's just move on.

Check for new replies or respond here...