inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite music genre of inthe00s users

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/04/18 at 11:24 am

For me, it would probably be that "I like two or more genres equally"

I like both rock and metal.

Subject: Re: Favorite music genre of inthe00s users

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/04/18 at 11:27 am

I like two or more genres equally.

Classical, (some) pop and country

Written By: piecesof93 on 05/04/18 at 11:34 am

R&B/Soul

Written By: SailorSteven2017 on 05/04/18 at 12:05 pm

New Jack Swing  ;D

Written By: meesa on 05/04/18 at 5:12 pm

Next phase, new wave, dance craze, anyways
It's still rock and roll to me.....

Sorry, there's two kinds of music for me:
The kind I like.
The kind I don't.

But if you asked what I don't like, it would have to be most country (or western).

Written By: Dr. Mario on 05/04/18 at 5:13 pm

I mostly like Heavy Metal, but I'm also into some Alternative Rock.

Written By: nally on 05/04/18 at 10:49 pm

Sorry, there's two kinds of music for me:
The kind I like.
The kind I don't.

But if you asked what I don't like, it would have to be most country (or western).

That's a good way to put it. O0

I'm with you on country for the most part; however, I can take it in small doses.
If I were asked to be specific about what other kinds I don't like, I would state that I'm not a fan of gansta rap, death metal, or anything of a similar nature.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 05/04/18 at 11:06 pm

Jazz and contemporary R&B are my two favorite music genres.

Written By: Wobo on 05/04/18 at 11:15 pm

Hip Hop.

Written By: Dundee on 05/05/18 at 2:17 am

Love how there's no R&B despite being a huge genre, and yet Nu-Metal is seperate from Metal for some reason.

Also this should have a multiple votes poll. It's a little worthless as is.

Written By: Howard on 05/05/18 at 7:31 am

I'm more of the disco, funk, classic oldies and 80's kind of person.

Written By: robby76 on 05/05/18 at 7:38 am

I'm a combination of pop / soul. Artists like Brandy, Toni Braxton, new Charlie Puth stuff. Then again they could be classed as RnB.

Obviously I like a whole variety of stuff too... from old school to current.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/05/18 at 7:58 am

I pretty much listen to anything, like it been said earlier I either like or I don't but what I listen to most is
progressive rock, medieval rock and symphonic metal.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 05/05/18 at 8:33 am

I had to enter "two or more"

I like Rock, Pop, Soul, R&B, Funk, Disco, a little Jazz, a little Metal, a little Reggae, a little Punk, a little Blues, a little Country, a little Alternative, a little Classical, a little Techno, and probably some others that I'm missing, but I strongly prefer the old school (60's/70's/80's) sounds

Written By: meesa on 05/05/18 at 10:41 am

I'm with you on country for the most part; however, I can take it in small doses.
If I were asked to be specific about what other kinds I don't like, I would state that I'm not a fan of gansta rap, death metal, or anything of a similar nature.

Yep, I can listen to Kenny Chesney that's about it.

Now favorite music OF some genres:
N'Orleans jazz: Professor Longhair, Jelly Roll Morton, Louis Armstrong, and my favorite, Allen Touissant-the musicians musician.
I also love in the wider jazz arena: Duke Ellington, Thelonious Monk, Dave Brubeck, Cab Calloway (his St James Infirmary is a big fav), Benny Goodman for swing jazz. Not a fan of modern jazz fusion type music.

Blues: Too many to list but one I've been listening to a lot lately-Tom Waits, Tom Waits, Tom Waits

12 bar blues songs are the most relaxing thing to play for me. If I am stressed I start playing some 12 bar blues songs and before I know it the stress is gone.  :)

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/05/18 at 11:29 am

I pretty much listen to anything, like it been said earlier I either like or I don't but what I listen to most is
progressive rock, medieval rock and symphonic metal.

The "loki" in your username basically gives it away.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/18 at 1:04 pm

I like:

-Rock
-Classical
-Musicals
-Folk
-Jazz
-Pop
-Latin
-Blues
-R&B
-Disco

I can only handle country is VERY small dosages.

I don't care for rap, hip hop or heavy metal but there are some exceptions.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 05/05/18 at 1:36 pm

I had to enter "two or more"

I like Rock, Pop, Soul, R&B, Funk, Disco, a little Jazz, a little Metal, a little Reggae, a little Punk, a little Blues, a little Country, a little Alternative, a little Classical, a little Techno, and probably some others that I'm missing, but I strongly prefer the old school (60's/70's/80's) sounds

I'm with you on most genres.

Written By: Lyndialy on 05/06/18 at 7:33 am

Pop.

Written By: nally on 05/19/18 at 10:48 am

12 bar blues songs are the most relaxing thing to play for me. If I am stressed I start playing some 12 bar blues songs and before I know it the stress is gone.  :)

When I want to relax I either listen to classical or New Age (I guess that's the term for meditative music that is usually played on the Music Choice "Soundscapes" channel). In the past ten years I've really gotten into the "Soundscapes."

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/19/18 at 2:34 pm

I don't see "hip-hop" on the list, so I just chose rap. :P

Written By: Howard on 05/19/18 at 3:30 pm

I don't see "hip-hop" on the list, so I just chose rap. :P

I like the old school Rap and Hip-Hop from the early 80's.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/19/18 at 3:48 pm

Rock and Metal. My favorite being alt rock from the '90s and '00s, including songs from the grunge, skater, and emo genres. I also like underground metal from the '10s, one of my favorite metal bands of all time is Alestorm, an underground pirate metal band (go figure).
As for earlier decades, the '60s was the decade that gave two of the best albums of all time, which were The Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" and Beatles' "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band". The '70s however are my favorite decade for the genre, that's when you had Sabbath, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Floyd, Queen, the rise of punk rock with groups like The Ramones and Sex Pistols, and in the late '70s the dawn of the NWOBHM, the '70s was the perfect decade for the genre, it was after the '60s, after the genre had evolved, but before the '80s when it became too over commercialized with MTV and the cheesy crap that is hair metal, the '80s were good for NWOBHM, thrash, and underground grunge, but I do feel the '80s are BY FAR the most overrated decade for not just rock music, but music in general. But yeah, rock and metal is my favorite.

That being said, I have a VERY diverse musical horizon, I have music from a wide range of genres in my CD collection.
I love classical, opera, swing, jazz, r&b, soul, reggae, folk, rap (mostly from 1988-1997 plus Eminem) and hell even country.
Country is a genre I feel gets treated unfairly, and I also feel a lot of the hate for is comes from bandwagoning. I'll agree that MODERN country music, since the mid '90s when you had Toby Keith and Tim McGraw become popular, and especially now with the garbage that is bro-country, is god awful.
However, classic country, especially outlaw country from the likes of Waylon Jennings, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, and hands down Johnny Cash, I think is great, because it doesn't follow the conservative Nashville-sound formula that country music is typically infamous for. I've actually met quite a bit of people who hate country music, but like Johnny Cash and see him as an exception, and I'm sure for their reasons they'd also like Jennings, Haggard, and Nelson as well.
Even outside of outlaw country, I also really like Kenny Rogers "The Gambler", that is a powerful song right there. I also like quite a bit of Garth Brooks songs as well, my favorite of his being "The River".

Written By: robby76 on 05/19/18 at 9:40 pm

I'll agree that MODERN country music, since the mid '90s when you had Toby Keith and Tim McGraw become popular, and especially now with the garbage that is bro-country, is god awful.

Haha, just had to google "Bro-Country". From a YouTube playlist is sounds okay. Florida Georgia Line's "Cruise" is good.

Check for new replies or respond here...