inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How Far Apart in Age Are "Distant Siblings"?

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/08/18 at 6:06 pm

Thought this would make for an interesting topic discussion.
How far apart in age do siblings have to be for them to be considered "distant"?
I do know that some users on this board have siblings who's age difference would definitely be distant. ZeldaFan20 I remember stating has a sister 19 years older, and I remember mwalker1996 stating he has siblings that are far apart in age from him.
So, how far apart would you guys say would qualify for a "distant" sibling age difference?

As for me, if you're using the Chinese Zodiac theory, I'd perhaps say it goes like this;

0-3 year difference = Close
4-7 year difference = Moderate
8-11 year difference = Big
12+ year difference = Distant

What would you say?

Subject: Re: How Far Apart in Age Are "Distant Siblings"?

Written By: Dr. Mario on 05/08/18 at 7:46 pm

0-3 year difference = Close
4-7 year difference = Moderate
8-11 year difference = Big
12+ year difference = Distant

What would you say?

I pretty much agree with this here.

The distance between me and my 12 and 19 year old sisters are close.

Me and my 23 year old brother are moderate.

Slowpoke and his twin sisters (who are 12) have are distant, from what I've seen from his posts.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/08/18 at 8:44 pm

My youngest sister was born in 2008 and yeah, I would say the difference is about big to distant. She was in Kindergarten my senior year of high school.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 05/08/18 at 8:46 pm

My youngest sister was born in 2008 and yeah, I would say the difference is about big to distant. She was in Kindergarten my senior year of high school.

You're still a Wood Boar on the Chinese Zodiac, right?

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/08/18 at 9:04 pm

BTW, how did you get along with your sisters?
I know you have one who's a couple years younger than you, who's the same grade as me, but barely made the deadline. Was there a lot of competition between you two?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/08/18 at 9:56 pm

My Oldest sister born in 77' is definitely in the distant category. She's nearly 20 years older and she has a few kids born in the 2000s, one of them only being 5 years younger than myself.

Two of my sisters born in the mid 80s would be in the big category, which makes. They're 10 years older than me so they were the protege 90s kids of sorts, Y2K era teens, and 00s young adults. They're the stereotypical Millennials.

Finally my youngest sister born in 91' was always the closest in relation to myself, not just in age but in upbringing as well. She's 5 years older, but we both grew up watching Klasky Csupo Era Nickelodeon & Powerhouse Era Cartoon Network; playing with Gak, Bop It, YoYos, & Super Soakers (especially during the Summer months ;D); playing Crash Team Racing & Gran Turismo on the PS1, etc.

Overall the graph seems pretty accurate.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/08/18 at 10:06 pm

My Oldest sister born in 77' is definitely in the distant category. She's nearly 20 years older and she has a few kids born in the 2000s, one of them only being 5 years younger than myself.

Two of my sisters born in the mid 80s would be in the big category, which makes. They're 10 years older than me so they were the protege 90s kids of sorts, Y2K era teens, and 00s young adults. They're the stereotypical Millennials.

Finally my youngest sister born in 91' was always the closest in relation to myself, not just in age but in upbringing as well. She's 5 years older, but we both grew up watching Klasky Csupo Era Nickelodeon & Powerhouse Era Cartoon Network; playing with Gak, Bop It, YoYos, & Super Soakers (especially during the Summer months ;D); playing Crash Team Racing & Gran Turismo on the PS1, etc.

Overall the graph seems pretty accurate.

Wow. 4 older sisters? Were you spoiled by them growing up?  ;D

Anyways, my closest sister is almost the same distance from me as your closest sister is. She's actually 4 years older than me, born August 1993, but she's 5 grades older, she's Class of 2011 and I'm Class of 2016. She's the one that first got me watching Nickelodeon in late 2003, and we played video games together all the time. It wasn't always peachy though, a lot of the time she'd antagonize me, and we fought a bit, but we still got along when we wanted to.
I also have a sister 7 years older than me, and for a while, me and my sisters lived at my grandparents along with a male cousin, 5 years older than me, whom was like a brother figure to me.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/08/18 at 10:11 pm

My older sister was born in November 1983. I was born in July 1999.

That's over 15 years apart. Obviously distant :P.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 05/08/18 at 11:28 pm

Haha yeah I was.

Anyways, my closest sister is almost the same distance from me as your closest sister is. She's actually 4 years older than me, born August 1993, but she's 5 grades older, she's Class of 2011 and I'm Class of 2016. She's the one that first got me watching Nickelodeon in late 2003, and we played video games together all the time. It wasn't always peachy though, a lot of the time she'd antagonize me, and we fought a bit, but we still got along when we wanted to.
I also have a sister 7 years older than me, and for a while, me and my sisters lived at my grandparents along with a male cousin, 5 years older than me, whom was like a brother figure to me.

Yeah I get where you're coming from. My sister is 5 years older than me and she was a kid in the late 1990s, so a lot of the things she grew up with she passed down to me. She helped me become exposed to pop culture at a relatively young age in the early 2000s. She (along with my 86' born sister) were obsessed with N'SYNC & Justin Timberlake's subsequent solo career immediately after (so basically the Justified era), Britney Spears, Aaliyah (when she was alive), and Destiny's Child among other artists. I'd watch TRL and 106 & Park everyday after school with them and would even occasionally watch South Park or Beavis & Butthead reruns.

Its cool you have a brother, unfortunately I never had one growing up. However, I always had my male cousins born in the mid 90s, both on my mom and dad's side of the family. So during big family get togethers or during the Holidays, you'd bet that me and my cousins were wrestling and causing havoc upstairs ;D.

Yeah I know that feeling man. Question, does your sister have any kids yet?

Written By: mwalker1996 on 05/08/18 at 11:29 pm

Sounds like my sister, I have an 83 born sister as well.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/08/18 at 11:39 pm

Its cool you have a brother, unfortunately I never had one growing up. However, I always had my male cousins born in the mid 90s, both on my mom and dad's side of the family. So during big family get togethers or during the Holidays, you'd bet that me and my cousins were wrestling and causing havoc upstairs ;D.

He isn't my brother, he's a male cousin, but we definitely grew up like brothers. Me, my sisters, and him lived together at our grandparents when I was 3-6, then me and my sisters moved back with my parents, and he moved back with his mother. He stayed with us again, at my parents, for a while when I was 10, then he moved back with his father, and I haven't seen him since 2009. He's actually gotten in trouble with the law in many instances, even served jail time. He's clean now, and I do hope to see him again soon.

Written By: Wobo on 05/08/18 at 11:41 pm

Me and my 12 year old sister are Close while me and my brother who is 21 are Moderate. I interact and talk to my brother more than i do with my sister. I'm close with my 11 year old cousin who is turning 12 this month, Me and my 6 year old cousin who is turning 7 this year are Big, Same with my 4 year old Cousin, Me and my other cousin who is turning 23 in December of this year are moderate while my brother and my 23 year old cousin are close but they don't rarely talk to eachother anymore like they did when they were children.

Written By: Wobo on 05/08/18 at 11:45 pm

My older brother was the reason why i got into video games honestly i played his PS3 alot and became a nintendo fan because i played his Wii alot too including his DS. I got into Pokemon also because of my brother.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/08/18 at 11:51 pm

Yeah I know that feeling man. Question, does your sister have any kids yet?

No, my sister doesn't have kids unfortunately.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/08/18 at 11:52 pm

Sounds like my sister, I have an 83 born sister as well.

Cool.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 05/09/18 at 12:11 am

Seems pretty accurate to me. I have two siblings, a brother who is a year and a half younger, also a sister who is close to three and a half years younger.

We all usually say we're close in age, although I may say relatively close when referring to my sister since the age difference is noticeable. I get along very well with both of them. :)

Written By: Dundee on 05/09/18 at 2:50 am

My sister was born 8 years after me, and yeah it feels quite distant.

She doesn't remember when I was a kid which is pretty saddening  :\'(. She always saw me as a grownass teenager.
Fortunately the more we grow up, the less distance I feel there is between us. I mean, at some point we'll both be in our twenties at the same time.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/09/18 at 9:17 am

My half-brother Harold Jr, is 37 years older than me.
He was born in 1949, I was born in 1986.
(Fun fact: my mother was born in 1950!  :o So he's actually a year older than my mom)

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/09/18 at 9:29 am

She doesn't remember when I was a kid which is pretty saddening  :\'(. She always saw me as a grownass teenager.
Fortunately the more we grow up, the less distance I feel there is between us. I mean, at some point we'll both be in our twenties at the same time.

My oldest sister and I are 7 years apart in age, which for me is sort of the cutoff, and even pushing it, for the conventional sibling difference. Any older, and I would've seen her more as a second-mother figure, and even at a 7 year difference she was already somewhat like that.
I do remember when she was still a kid, even elementary school age, but barely. She was in her teens for nearly all of my elementary schooling, graduating high school when I graduated elementary school.
Growing up, I'd get on her nerves a lot, but she was really patient with me, and she did reach out to try to bond with me on many occasions.

My half-brother Harold Jr, is 37 years older than me.
He was born in 1949, I was born in 1986.
(Fun fact: my mother was born in 1950!  :o So he's actually a year older than my mom)

Hehe, well, then again, Melania Trump is way closer in age to Donald Jr. than she is to President Trump, so there's that.  ;D
What year was your dad born in?

Written By: ofkx on 05/09/18 at 9:58 am

I have siblings who are 16, 14, 12, 8, 5, and 4 years older than me. We’re still very close though and I don’t treat any of them differently than I would treat someone who’s a year older than me. I don’t think age gaps matter much when you’re family.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/09/18 at 10:10 am

I have siblings who are 16, 14, 12, 8, 5, and 4 years older than me. We’re still very close though and I don’t treat any of them differently than I would treat someone who’s a year older than me. I don’t think age gaps matter much when you’re family.

That's not what I'm getting at here though.
What I'm getting at is the difference in influences growing up, depending on the age gap between siblings.
Siblings that are, say, 2 years apart, are likely to be competitive with each other, wheras for siblings 10 years apart, the older one is likely to be somewhat of a parental figure for the younger one.
Of course, you're still going to be close with them regardless, but the growing up influence would be radically different.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/09/18 at 10:10 am

My older brother born in December 1993 is 8 and a half years older than me. Growing up, I’ve always saw him as more of a parental figure, as he was the one who would babysit me when nobody was around. When my parents weren’t around, he made my dinner, sometimes bought me food (and he still does) made me cookies. I hardly saw my older sister born in October 1996 as a parental figure though. We fought a lot and to me she was annoying (still is ;D) she graduated when I was already halfway through middle school. So I definitely saw my older brother as a parental figure but not my sister though.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 05/09/18 at 11:30 am

I know that dude. I have a sister who is 7 years younger than me and a cousin who is 14 years younger than me. Its crazy that my cousin will only remember me as an adult. :o

I also have a sister who is 3 and a half years older than me and we used to always get into fights (both physical and verbal) over the dumbest things. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/09/18 at 1:05 pm

6 kids and the age difference between oldest & youngest is 12 years.

Cat

Written By: ofkx on 05/09/18 at 1:33 pm

That's not what I'm getting at here though.
What I'm getting at is the difference in influences growing up, depending on the age gap between siblings.
Siblings that are, say, 2 years apart, are likely to be competitive with each other, wheras for siblings 10 years apart, the older one is likely to be somewhat of a parental figure for the younger one.
Of course, you're still going to be close with them regardless, but the growing up influence would be radically different.

Oh I see. I can definitely say I fought and competed with my 20 year old sister growing up WAY more than I fought with my 32 year old sister. Actually, I don't think I've ever fought with siblings more than 8 years older than me. But there's a specific age gap, I would say when there's 5-8 years between you and your sibling, that I think makes them tease you even MORE than if you're only a year or two apart. You're not really far enough in age to see them as parental figures but you're also not close enough in age to compete for the same things, so instead you just annoy each other with no real goal.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/09/18 at 2:02 pm

Oh I see. I can definitely say I fought and competed with my 20 year old sister growing up WAY more than I fought with my 32 year old sister. Actually, I don't think I've ever fought with siblings more than 8 years older than me. But there's a specific age gap, I would say when there's 5-8 years between you and your sibling, that I think makes them tease you even MORE than if you're only a year or two apart. You're not really far enough in age to see them as parental figures but you're also not close enough in age to compete for the same things, so instead you just annoy each other with no real goal.

This is so true, and this is coming from someone who has a sister 5 years and 8 months older than me.

Written By: Wobo on 05/09/18 at 2:10 pm

My older brother born in December 1993 is 8 and a half years older than me. Growing up, I’ve always saw him as more of a parental figure, as he was the one who would babysit me when nobody was around. When my parents weren’t around, he made my dinner, sometimes bought me food (and he still does) made me cookies. I hardly saw my older sister born in October 1996 as a parental figure though. We fought a lot and to me she was annoying (still is ;D) she graduated when I was already halfway through middle school. So I definitely saw my older brother as a parental figure but not my sister though.

I never really saw my brother (born in 1997) as a parental figure that much since i would hate when he told what to do ect. i do try to respect my brother sometimes. My brother did the same thing your brother did too my brother use to change my diaper and watch me when my mom was at work. My brother does joke around me alot too and i get annoyed when he sometimes messes with me/joke around but me and my brother even though we have a moderate age distant we still do talk to eachother and joke around. I consider my brother as a friend also.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/18 at 2:33 pm

My brother was born 1971 and I was born 1974 but unfortunately he died in June 1995  :\'(

Written By: Wobo on 05/09/18 at 2:36 pm

My brother was born 1971 and I was born 1974 but unfortunately he died in June 1995  :\'(

What happened?

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 05/09/18 at 2:56 pm

My sister who was born in February 2000 is like a twin to me. We have the worst sibling rivalry, & always wants to compete for something.
My other sister who was born in June 2010 is spoiled. She gets what she wants. She can get away with plenty in my family.
My brother was born in November 1997. I can’t say I’ve had sibling rivalry with him as much, but he isn’t a parental figure either.

Written By: graciee on 05/09/18 at 3:13 pm

My sister is 3 years younger than me. We are very close.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/18 at 3:14 pm

What happened?

He died of a diabetic coma in his sleep. :\'(

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/09/18 at 3:30 pm

My oldest sister and I are 7 years apart in age, which for me is sort of the cutoff, and even pushing it, for the conventional sibling difference. Any older, and I would've seen her more as a second-mother figure, and even at a 7 year difference she was already somewhat like that.
I do remember when she was still a kid, even elementary school age, but barely. She was in her teens for nearly all of my elementary schooling, graduating high school when I graduated elementary school.
Growing up, I'd get on her nerves a lot, but she was really patient with me, and she did reach out to try to bond with me on many occasions.

Hehe, well, then again, Melania Trump is way closer in age to Donald Jr. than she is to President Trump, so there's that.  ;D
What year was your dad born in?

Trumps ew.  8-P
My father was born in 1927. He was 24 years older than my mom.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/09/18 at 3:37 pm

Trumps ew.  8-P
My father was born in 1927. He was 24 years older than my mom.

You're kidding. Even though you're 10 years older than me, my oldest grandparents were born in 1943, which is still 6 years younger than someone born in 1937 for instance.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/09/18 at 4:24 pm

You're kidding. Even though you're 10 years older than me, my oldest grandparents were born in 1943, which is still 6 years younger than someone born in 1937 for instance.

Her father is only three years younger than my great-grandfather, born 1924 (whom is also the only great-grandparent of mine still alive), and only two years younger than my great-grandmother, born 1925 (whom died a few months ago)

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/09/18 at 5:28 pm

I see what you're saying, and agree. I'd say the range would be moreso 4-7 years apart though, like I mentioned in my OP, but it's not far off.
Teasing definitely tends to happen the most within this range. This was especially true for me, because I was not only the youngest, but was also the only boy.
It didn't happen too much with my oldest sister (7 years older), but my middle sister (4 years older) used to tease and antagonize me frequently, however, I wasn't the type to sit back and take it, I fought back, in many cases getting physical.
This helped me build up a never-surrender my-way-or-the-highway character in the long run, where I'm not going to let anybody walk on me.
I used to get into fights at middle school and even made Columbine threats to get bullies off my back, even when it risked expulsion and police talk. In high school, I used to argue a lot with my friends, and used to get into heated arguments in Debate Club. Even online, I tend to argue a lot, I'm going to admit, and always try my best to never surrender the argument.
In a way, I kinda like to equate my situation with my siblings to Johnny Cash's "Boy Named Sue".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOHPuY88Ry4

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/09/18 at 5:34 pm

I'm not going to let anybody walk on me.

Well, unless you are the ground or floor, then nobody will walk on you.

Written By: prodanny288 on 05/09/18 at 5:41 pm

Haha. You’re such a smartass.

Written By: Alexander1956 on 05/09/18 at 5:44 pm

I was very close to my younger brother born in November 1958. Sadly, he passed away in 1973. And my younger sister was born in July 1962, we get along well now, though not so much when we were growing up.

Written By: unicornic on 05/09/18 at 5:47 pm

Oh my god  ;D ::) ;D ::)

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/09/18 at 5:49 pm

Oh my god  ;D ::) ;D ::)

I mean, unless you lay down and let someone step on your body and walk on you. (Which first of all how are they going to walk with very little space? ;D)

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/09/18 at 5:52 pm

Figure of speech.

Obviously. I'm being a smartass. ;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/09/18 at 5:55 pm

I know, but jokes are supposed to be one and done.

I did make one joke, lol.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/09/18 at 5:59 pm

Just didn't want you to "Crop Tops For Guys"-ify this thread, that's all.

Oh wow, so now there's such thing as "Crop Tops For Guys-ifying" threads now?  ;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/09/18 at 6:05 pm

Go ahead and makes memes about it, and post them on Popedia.
Don't post them here, I want this thread to stay on topic, but over on Popedia, I'd check 'em out.

them here, I want this thread to stay on topic, but over on Popedia, I'd check 'em out.

Written By: Rainbowz on 05/09/18 at 6:06 pm

Alright, I'm sorry I'm in a smartass mood today.  ;D

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/11/18 at 8:54 am

My sisters were born in 1972, 1973, and 1980. I was born in 1990.

Check for new replies or respond here...