inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When and how did baseball caps become casual?

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/21/18 at 4:35 pm

Baseball caps have been around for a long time, but for the longest time they've only been prominent at baseball games and that was it.
It wasn't until around the '70s when they started to become casual attire for men.
So, when exactly would you say this happened, and why did it happen?

Subject: Re: When and how did baseball caps become casual?

Written By: ofkx on 05/22/18 at 12:56 pm

Baseball caps have been around for a long time, but for the longest time they've only been prominent at baseball games and that was it.
It wasn't until around the '70s when they started to become casual attire for men.
So, when exactly would you say this happened, and why did it happen?

I think you answered you're own question ;).

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 05/22/18 at 1:10 pm

I think you answered you're own question ;).
i mean more specifically, and why it became casual.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 05/22/18 at 1:51 pm

Not the 1970s, it's been since the 1980s that baseball caps have become "the common man's crown".

It's because of multiple things - Tom Selleck and "Magnum P.I.", gangsta rappers like NWA wearing baseball caps, Spike Lee in 1996, etc.

Here is the full explanation: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/2017/04/02/we-know-why-you-wear-baseball-cap/99689202/

Written By: 90s Guy on 05/22/18 at 6:25 pm

I've always disliked ball caps personally, but I guess that's because in my personal experience, the guys I've known to wear them on a regular basis were doing so to hide baldness.

Written By: annimal on 05/22/18 at 7:40 pm

When I have to dress less like a jester, I go wear a cowboy hat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 05/22/18 at 8:42 pm

Baseball caps became what they are today starting in the early 90s, around the same time sneakers did. As I stated in the thread that gave birth to this one, in the 60s, 70s and into the 80s nobody really wore baseball caps past their mid teens (and that was pushing it) unless they were actually playing baseball, or maybe attending a sporting event. You know, something actually SPORTS related. A teen wearing a baseball cap in high school in the 70s was not really a thing at all  (unless they were on the team). Yes, there were any number of people casually wearing them on occasion or even regularly, but it was not the all consuming, I-would-never-be-without-one THING it is today. I'm not sure what the actual cause was, but rap surely had a lot to do with it, as rap stars, as well as sports stars, sort of formalized athletic wear into a desirable fashion statement for some, and something that became acceptable to wear on all occasions at all times, no matter how inappropriate. I still remember as late as the late 80s getting Nikes for $15 or something like that. And in the 70s we paid something like $7 for sneakers and treated them very offhandedly. They were sneakers, they were low-rent, meant to be wrecked. It was in the early 90s they became a MEGA worshiped thing that cost hundreds of dollars and people almost literally live and die for. I'm surprised these trends have lasted for as long as they have, but some trends just seem to come and stay now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/18 at 7:32 am

I've always disliked ball caps personally, but I guess that's because in my personal experience, the guys I've known to wear them on a regular basis were doing so to hide baldness.
I do not like them when worn backwards...

Written By: Howard on 05/31/18 at 7:55 am

I do not like them when worn backwards...

kids today thinks it's cool to wear hats backwards.

Check for new replies or respond here...