inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you feel the JFK assassination changed America forever?

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/13/18 at 10:23 pm

While I wasn't alive in 1963, I feel like the murder of JFK still is relevant today and it honestly seems like a lasting trauma just under the surface of this country that never has gone away, perhaps even more than 9/11 in a way. 9/11 was an event where thousands of people (whom most people didn't know) died as a result of external enemies; Kennedy's assassination was an event where one very well known and beloved man died horribly. There is also the "what could've been" questions that seem t always be asked IE "If JFK lived, would Vietnam have happened?" Whereas the "What ifs" post 9/11 are much more obvious (like, there's a 99% chance that if there is no 9/11, there is no Iraq War). I'm not trying to downplay 9/11; it traumatized me enough that I've mentally blocked out that day and cannot remember it all. But while I wasn't alive in 1963, anytime I see something regarding his murder I can't help but cry. Am I alone in feeling that his death really changed this country forever, and that its pain still echoes today? That it really is, and will always be, a big scar on our national psyche? I feel like the only President in our history who could be compared to JFK is Obama. Both were members of historically marginalized minority groups (Catholics prior to 1960, African Americans respectively) who were cool and brought hope and inspiration to millions of Americans. Both were in a sense the "people's president" in a way few others have been. Both had elegant wives who took a very public role and were well liked and at times overshadowed their husbands. Both were stylish and pop cultural icons. If Obama had been assassinated I think it would've been equally as traumatic. I can't say the same for really any other President.

Subject: Re: Do you feel the JFK assassination changed America forever?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/08/21 at 1:10 am

While I wasn't alive in 1963, I feel like the murder of JFK still is relevant today and it honestly seems like a lasting trauma just under the surface of this country that never has gone away, perhaps even more than 9/11 in a way. 9/11 was an event where thousands of people (whom most people didn't know) died as a result of external enemies; Kennedy's assassination was an event where one very well known and beloved man died horribly. There is also the "what could've been" questions that seem t always be asked IE "If JFK lived, would Vietnam have happened?" Whereas the "What ifs" post 9/11 are much more obvious (like, there's a 99% chance that if there is no 9/11, there is no Iraq War). I'm not trying to downplay 9/11; it traumatized me enough that I've mentally blocked out that day and cannot remember it all. But while I wasn't alive in 1963, anytime I see something regarding his murder I can't help but cry. Am I alone in feeling that his death really changed this country forever, and that its pain still echoes today? That it really is, and will always be, a big scar on our national psyche? I feel like the only President in our history who could be compared to JFK is Obama. Both were members of historically marginalized minority groups (Catholics prior to 1960, African Americans respectively) who were cool and brought hope and inspiration to millions of Americans. Both were in a sense the "people's president" in a way few others have been. Both had elegant wives who took a very public role and were well liked and at times overshadowed their husbands. Both were stylish and pop cultural icons. If Obama had been assassinated I think it would've been equally as traumatic. I can't say the same for really any other President.
Have you got to read "11.22.63" by Stephen King, regarded as his best book, which is based on the a man going back in time to avert the assassination of JFK?

Written By: Dude111 on 06/08/21 at 4:00 pm

I heard he wouldnt do what they wanted to they took him out..... Very sad indeed :(

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/08/21 at 4:37 pm

I heard he wouldnt do what they wanted to they took him out..... Very sad indeed :(

Who is "they"?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/08/21 at 4:41 pm

Absolutely magnificent piece of work. Listen to this if you want the history of the soul of America from the time of JFK's assassination.

Bob Dylan
"Murder Most Foul"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NbQkyvbw18

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/21 at 12:23 am

Who is "they"?
Him = JFK or Stephen King?

Written By: Dude111 on 06/10/21 at 5:24 pm

Who is "they"?

Those in control.......

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/10/21 at 5:51 pm

Those in control.......

WHO are "those in control"? 

Among the most common JFK assassination theories (in no particular order):

1) The Castro Scenario
2) The CIA Scenario (Oliver Stone seems to like this one)
3) the Mafia Scenario
4) the Russia/Communist Scenario
5) The Right Wing Extremist Scenario
6) The Military-Industrial Complex Scenario

And then, of course, there is the "lone gunman" scenario.

Many more theories have been floated as well.

Are any of these what you were talking about? Anybody can say "those in control".

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/15/21 at 12:31 pm

1) The Castro Scenario
3) the Mafia Scenario

And then, of course, there is the "lone gunman" scenario.

Many more theories have been floated as well.

Are any of these what you were talking about? Anybody can say "those in control".

Castro is a new one for me?

Written By: andersenb11775 on 06/15/21 at 12:39 pm

Let’s flag down a cab and head for real street here. A living John Kennedy just means HEY, HEY, JFK! HOW MANY KIDS DID YOU KILL TODAY?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/15/21 at 12:49 pm

Let’s flag down a cab and head for real street here. A living John Kennedy just means HEY, HEY, JFK! HOW MANY KIDS DID YOU KILL TODAY?

Are you sure you have your history right? The chant was "Hey hey LBJ..." for Lyndon Johnson. Kennedy was already gone before the Vietnam War really got going full force. The Gulf Of Tonkin incident was in 1964. If that's even what you are making reference to.

Written By: karen on 06/15/21 at 1:33 pm

Are you sure you have your history right? The chant was "Hey hey LBJ..." for Lyndon Johnson. Kennedy was already gone before the Vietnam War really got going full force. The Gulf Of Tonkin incident was in 1964. If that's even what you are making reference to.

But when would Kennedy’s term have ended if he hadn’t been assassinated?

Written By: Howard on 06/15/21 at 1:51 pm

If it had hit his wife instead, would JFK still be alive today?

Written By: andersenb11775 on 06/15/21 at 3:49 pm

until Sam Beckett changed it, Oswald killed Jackie, too. ;)

Written By: AmericanGirl on 06/15/21 at 3:52 pm

January 1965 - if he wasn't re-elected (which one can only speculate about)

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/15/21 at 4:03 pm

He was born in 1917, what do YOU think?  ::) 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/16/21 at 3:11 am

1) The Castro Scenario
3) the Mafia Scenario

All of these being groups (with perhaps the exception of Russia) who Kennedy made enemies of and who all had a vested interest in getting him out of power.

About 10 years ago I traveled to Dallas just so I could tour Dealey Plaza and the Texas Book Depository, and as I looked out the window next to the one where Oswald committed his foul deed (the actual room was off limits to the public) and down at the street where three X's were painted on the concrete to mark the spots where Kennedy was hit, it just seemed insane to me that the Secret Service and/or Dallas Police Department would route a motorcade with the President of the United States in an open-top convertible down a street with a hairpin curve just below a six-story building that hadn't been completely cleared.

I smelled a rat. It was, as Lt. Aldo Raine said in Inglorious Basterds, a "goddamn sniper's delight." Maybe Oswald got the shots off all by himself, and maybe he didn't, but he couldn't have had a better place to do it from. It just looked too easy.  :o :o :o

Written By: Howard on 06/16/21 at 7:09 am

He was born in 1917, what do YOU think?  ::)

He'd be 104.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/16/21 at 9:06 am

He'd be 104.

Actually this may not be as silly as it sounds. Leave it to good old Howard! JFK's mother Rose Kennedy, the matriarch of the Kennedy family, died in 1995 at---you guessed it---104 years old!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/21 at 2:54 pm

Actually this may not be as silly as it sounds. Leave it to good old Howard! JFK's mother Rose Kennedy, the matriarch of the Kennedy family, died in 1995 at---you guessed it---104 years old!
O0

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/21 at 2:57 pm

One thing we can tell if JFK did survive, is that his wife/widow Jackie would not have gone on to marry Aristotle Onassis.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/16/21 at 3:24 pm

One thing we can tell if JFK did survive, is that his wife/widow Jackie would not have gone on to marry Aristotle Onassis.

Then again, maybe she might have gotten fed up with all of JFK's extramarital dalliances and divorced him.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 06/16/21 at 3:32 pm

John Kennedy gets a free pass on Vietnam that he does not deserve.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/21 at 3:32 pm

Then again, maybe she might have gotten fed up with all of JFK's extramarital dalliances and divorced him.
There again would one of his dalliances may not have committed suicide?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/16/21 at 9:51 pm

There again would one of his dalliances may not have committed suicide?

She died in 1962, a year before JFK, so his death had no bearing on her suicide. And, of course, there are those who say it was not a suicide at all...

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/17/21 at 1:56 am

John Kennedy gets a free pass on Vietnam that he does not deserve.

Impossible to say. It's entirely possible that he might have demanded a deeper investigation into the Gulf of Tonkin incident and determined that it was a fabrication (which it was) instead of using it as a convenient excuse to escalate our involvement in Vietnam, as LBJ did.

One thing is for certain though: If JFK was never assassinated, then the Dead Kennedys would have had to call themselves something else.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/17/21 at 4:40 am

He'd probably be in a nursing home by now cause of his old age.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/17/21 at 8:39 am

Impossible to say. It's entirely possible that he might have demanded a deeper investigation into the Gulf of Tonkin incident and determined that it was a fabrication (which it was) instead of using it as a convenient excuse to escalate our involvement in Vietnam, as LBJ did.

Correct!

He'd probably be in a nursing home by now cause of his old age.

Incorrect! People of wealth and power do not go into nursing homes. Rose Kennedy, even at 104, remained at her home in
the Kennedy compound in Hyannis Port, attended to by a private staff.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 07/10/21 at 11:11 pm

The only reason Korea was a "legal" war and Vietnam was "not" was simply because of the Soviet/communist bloc veto in the UN Security Council.

North Vietnam was still a brutal one-party dictatorship and never at any point the legitimate representative of the Vietnamese people.

Written By: Howard on 07/11/21 at 7:01 am

Couldn't they have sent Lee Harvey Oswald to jail instead of just shooting him, Whose idea was it?

Written By: andersenb11775 on 07/11/21 at 8:47 am

Oswald was getting the chair just for killing that Dallas Policeman let alone killing the man who couldn’t keep his penis in his undies.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/11/21 at 9:42 am

Couldn't they have sent Lee Harvey Oswald to jail instead of just shooting him, Whose idea was it?

That's what people have been trying to figure out for 58 years, Howard.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 07/11/21 at 2:03 pm

Oswald was getting the chair just for killing that Dallas Policeman let alone killing the man who couldn’t keep his penis in his undies.

You mean Oswald was having sex with underage girls? ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/11/21 at 2:25 pm

You mean Oswald was having sex with underage girls? ???

::)    ::)    ::)  ::)

Howard, maybe you should read a book or watch a documentary on the Kennedy assassination. There are many.  A lot of the documentaries appear regularly on streaming channels. It might give you a better perspective.

Written By: andersenb11775 on 07/11/21 at 2:58 pm

JFK was a sex addict and there are also reliable reports that he sometimes exploited his back pain to be able to sit in positions which gave him a better view of certain intimate parts of female staffers and friends bodies.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/11/21 at 3:12 pm

JFK was a sex addict and there are also reliable reports that he sometimes exploited his back pain to be able to sit in positions which gave him a better view of certain intimate parts of female staffers and friends bodies.

I was pricing desks online, thinking of purchasing a new one, and I noticed many come with what they referred to as a "privacy" panel a/k/a a "modesty panel". I thought this was something new, but it appears it has been in existence for centuries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modesty_panel

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/21 at 3:49 pm

Just out of curiosity, where did you get your knowledge of JFK?

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/12/21 at 7:24 am

::)    ::)    ::)  ::)

Howard, maybe you should read a book or watch a documentary on the Kennedy assassination. There are many.  A lot of the documentaries appear regularly on streaming channels. It might give you a better perspective.

I do apologize you're probably older than me so you most likely knew more about The Kennedy assassination more than me, but just the other day I was watching a Marilyn Monroe documentary.

Written By: Howard on 07/12/21 at 7:25 am

Wow, that's unbelievable! :o

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/12/21 at 9:09 am

Wow, that's unbelievable! :o

Take it with a grain of salt, Howard. No citation was given. Seek out some books and documentaries. It's always good to educate yourself about things. Don't rely on hearsay posted here. 

Written By: andersenb11775 on 07/12/21 at 8:57 pm

JFK has been made into something of a plaster saint. The real JFK was no saint. That either him or Bobby Kennedy forced Marilyn Monroe into an exploitative sexual relationship is a rumour that just keeps lingering.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/21 at 9:23 pm

JFK has been made into something of a plaster saint. The real JFK was no saint. That either him or Bobby Kennedy forced Marilyn Monroe into an exploitative sexual relationship is a rumour that just keeps lingering.

Again, where did you get your info from?

Cat

Written By: andersenb11775 on 07/12/21 at 10:55 pm

WWW message boards and Facebook.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/12/21 at 11:08 pm

You're having fun with us.  ;D ;D

Written By: andersenb11775 on 07/13/21 at 2:57 am

Well, I was learning the alphabet, you see - A-B-C-D-J-F-K :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/21 at 7:16 am

We all know how true the www can be?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/13/21 at 9:17 am

I suggest that you find some more reputable sources.

Cat

Written By: karen on 07/13/21 at 1:38 pm

We all know how true the www can be?

“Just because you read it on the Internet, doesn’t make it true” Abraham Lincoln

Written By: Contigo on 07/13/21 at 1:43 pm

“Just because you read it on the Internet, doesn’t make it true” Abraham Lincoln

Check for new replies or respond here...