inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: At what age is someone "old"?

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/16/18 at 8:54 am

What age do you does someone have to be for you to consider them "old"?

Post your own age, and choice.

Myself I feel the life cycle is like:

Infant: 0-2
Toddler: 2-4
Early Childhood: 5-9
Pre-Puberty: 9-12
Early Teens: 13-15
Late Teens: 16-19
Young Adulthood: 20-30
Adulthood: 30-40
Middle Age: 40-65
Early Old Age: 65-75
Old Age: 75-80
Late Old Age: 80+

Subject: Re: At what age is someone "old"?

Written By: mqg96 on 06/16/18 at 11:26 am

Baby: 0-1

Toddler: 2-3 (when memories usually start for most people)

Childhood: 4-12 (8 is the peak)

Teenager: 13-19

Young Adult: 18-29 (18 & 19 are peak of youth, still being a teen but a legal adult at the same time out of HS)

Adulthood: 30-44 (40 is the peak of life)

Middle Age: 45-59

Old Age: 60+

Written By: Lizardmatum on 06/16/18 at 1:02 pm

I would say 70 plus. I just don't see people in their 60's as being definitively old.

Written By: 2001 on 06/16/18 at 1:04 pm

Around 13/14 according to the "what makes you feel old" threads.

Written By: Wobo on 06/16/18 at 1:07 pm

I don't feel old but okay.

Written By: 2001 on 06/16/18 at 1:09 pm

I don't feeo old but okay.

That's what we all say bruh but don't worry your body might be old but you can still be young at heart. :)

Written By: Wobo on 06/16/18 at 1:10 pm

That's what we all say bruh but don't worry your body might be old but you can still be young at heart. :)

Maybe i am old, dogs are old at 14 right?

Written By: Looney Toon on 06/16/18 at 1:13 pm

Maybe i am old, dogs are old at 14 right?

Dogs are at human age of 98 when they turn dog age of 14. Dog years are a funny thing.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 06/16/18 at 1:45 pm

Baby: 0-1.5 ish
Toddler: 1.5-2
Early childhood: 3-4
Mid childhood: 5-8
Late childhood: 9-10
Preteens/teens: 11-19
Young adult: 20-34
'Normal' adult: 35-64
Old: 65
Very old: 85

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 06/16/18 at 1:59 pm

60-79 = Senior
80-99 = Elder
100+ = Centenarian

That's how it should be IMO. Calling anything 60+ an "elder" is very disingenuous if you ask me. There's a big difference between people in their 60s-70s and people in their 80s-90s.
People in their 60s and 70s are usually still active and still able to take care of themselves, while people in their 80s and 90s are usually a lot frailer and tend to need assisted care.

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/16/18 at 2:59 pm

It's interesting how these things change. My grandpa died at age 55 in 1975 when my mother was 21. He had a full head of black hair. But when he died my mother considered him, at the time, an old man who had lived a full life. As she got older she realized how young he had been.

When my other grandpa was 68 he was more active and in shape than most people 20 years younger. He was up 30, 40 feet pruning trees on a ladder, no wires, at 68. Even now, at 89, he still mows the lawn himself, but now he needs breaks, which bothers him.

Written By: ofkx on 06/18/18 at 12:48 am

Lmao ;D ;D ;D

I think once you hit 50 you're officially old. You're not an elder but you're not young.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/18/18 at 2:05 am

Lmao ;D ;D ;D

I think once you hit 50 you're officially old. You're not an elder but you're not young.

Your 30's are basically the transition from having the young adult look to an older adult look. Your 40's and 50's are basically the same for human beings in terms of physical appearance but your original hair color could change to gray throughout this time, it depends on genetics or family generational trends. There's people born in the early 1970's in their late 40's who already have gray hair while there's people born in the mid 1960's in their early to mid 50's who still look good for their age and their hair is still their main color. I still wouldn't consider those in their 40's or 50's "old" though. Age 60 on the other hand yeah. It's usually a 30 year cycle when it comes to generations. You're born at age 0, you hit main adulthood at age 30, and then you hit old/elderly at age 60. You were at the ultimate childhood at 10, you're gonna be at the ultimate adult age at 40. I still consider age 30-44 as your main adulthood and 45-59 to be your middle aged adult period before hitting the old age at 60.

Written By: Howard on 06/18/18 at 7:24 am

age 65 when you get Social Security, Medicaid and Senior Citizen discounts.

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/18/18 at 7:52 am

I had a dog who was born in late 2004 that died last year.

My oldest lived dog was born in 95 and died in 09. 14 years seems to be the upper limit for small dogs. We let her pass away at home, with us.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/18/18 at 10:22 am

It's interesting how everyone has a different perception of old. I use to think 50 was really old, but now you see 50-year-olds that are just as active as someone in their 30s, heck you see a lot of 50 yr olds raising elementary-aged children whereas before 50 was the age when most people start having grandchildren.  It depends on where you live and your socio-economic status. In my area, people become parents usually between the ages of 15-25, but in more affluent areas I see people start families in the 30s and 40s.  I think old is all in mindset really, but the age I consider someone seasoned is about 35 since 35 is when most people no longer consider themselves a young adult,  gray hair starts to creep in and the age where you can run for president in the US.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/18 at 4:54 pm

age 65 when you get Social Security, Medicaid and Senior Citizen discounts.
Some discounts at 60 in the UK.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/18 at 4:55 pm

You are as young as you feel!

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/19/18 at 6:23 pm

Anyone born in 2001 or before is old asf. #YoungAndHipGeneration  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Written By: Howard on 06/20/18 at 6:57 am

Some discounts at 60 in the UK.

and get Social Security too? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/18 at 7:04 am

and get Social Security too? ???
The State Pension differs to various ages, in my case I have to wait till I am 66.

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/20/18 at 8:42 am

I see it:

Infant: First 18 months
Toddler: 18 months-3 y.o.
Young childhood: 4 y.o.-7 y.o.
Older childhood: 8 y.o.- 11 y.o.
Early adolescence "puberty"/"Tween": 12-14 y.o.
Peak adolescence "teenagers": 15-17 y.o.
Teen/young adult transition "college aged" or "late adolescence": 18-20 y.o.
Young adulthood: 21-34 y.o.
Early middle adulthood: 35-49 y.o.
Late middle adulthood: 50-64 y.o. (this is around the time most adults become grandparents nowadays, while age-related health concerns start to mount such as back, cancers, Alzheimer's, and heart health. Prescription use seems to climb, but most healthy adults are still almost as active as they were younger. My mom is now 63, is sort of on that "middle/old" cusp, not looking too different than she was in her 50s, but noticeably more frail in terms of facial appearance and constantly dies her hair as she has since her early 40s. )
Old adulthood or "senior citizens": 65-79 y.o.
Elderly: 80+

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/15/18 at 11:37 pm

I was old before I was 40.

Doesn't mean I had to grow up.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/16/18 at 12:00 am

On these boards? Over 30.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/16/18 at 8:13 am

On these boards? Over 30.  ;D

or age 65.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/18 at 8:45 am

or age 65.
I'm getting closer?

Written By: Howard on 07/16/18 at 2:22 pm

I'm getting closer?

or when you're about to get Social Security and Medicaid.

Written By: Wobo on 07/16/18 at 3:42 pm

I'd say someone over 65.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/18 at 3:44 pm

or when you're about to get Social Security and Medicaid.
State Pension at 67, and I do not have Medicaid, but have always had free health care with the NHS, but now get free prescriptions.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/16/18 at 3:45 pm

What age do you does someone have to be for you to consider them "old"?
An age when you are no longer young.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/16/18 at 6:49 pm

Age is just a number.

TRUE STORY: My maternal grandmother was a mean old lady. As long as I knew her she was OLD. When she was about 82 years old, she lived with us. Our next door neighbor was about 90 or so. He used to come over and call her "Mother" and my grandmother ate it up. I guess she didn't realize that the guy was about 10 +/- years her senior but you wouldn't have known it. He, along with his wife were young and my grandmother was old.

My paternal grandmother on the other hand, died at the age of 99 and 1/2 years young.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/17/18 at 9:15 am

State Pension at 67, and I do not have Medicaid, but have always had free health care with the NHS, but now get free prescriptions.

Are they "over the counter" medicine? ???

Written By: 2001 on 07/17/18 at 10:11 am

I'm guessing over-the-counter drugs still costs money, it's prescription drugs that are free.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/18 at 10:30 am

I'm guessing over-the-counter drugs still costs money, it's prescription drugs that are free.
There are "over the counter" medicines, that can be purchased. Prescription drugs have to be paid for.

For free prescriptions I quote the NHS:

"You can get free NHS prescriptions if, at the time the prescription is dispensed, you:

are 60 or over
are under 16
are 16-18 and in full-time education
are pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months and have a valid maternity exemption certificate (MatEx) 
have a specified medical condition and have a valid medical exemption certificate (MedEx)
have a continuing physical disability that prevents you going out without help from another person and have a valid MedEx
hold a valid war pension exemption certificate and the prescription is for your accepted disability
are an NHS inpatient
You're also entitled to free prescriptions if you or your partner – including civil partner – receive, or you're under the age of 20 and the dependant of someone receiving:

Income Support
Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
Universal Credit and meet the criteria
If you're entitled to or named on:

a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate – if you don't have a certificate, you can show your award notice; you qualify if you get Child Tax Credits, Working Tax Credits with a disability element (or both), and have income for tax credit purposes of £15,276 or less
a valid NHS certificate for full help with health costs (HC2)
People named on an NHS certificate for partial help with health costs (HC3) may also get help."

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/18 at 10:31 am

As for me, it is free, for I am over 60.

Check for new replies or respond here...