inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What things do Old Millennials and Young Millennials have *in common*?

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/22/18 at 4:30 pm

People are always going on and on about the differences between Old Millennials and Young Millennials like when they got Internet access, social media usage, meme culture, etc etc etc but what things would you say they have *in common*?

I don't wanna get.into specific cutoff discussion, so let me say I'm using Pews 1981-1996 definition, but feel free to use the definition you prefer. In this instance I'm comparing a 23 year old (born 95) to a 33 year old (born 85) here. Here's some I can think of

-Rugrats
-Friends
-Dexters Lab
-2D animated movies (was still holding on in the early 2000s, until Home on the Range killed it)
-Games free of DLC and microtransactions
-CRT television
-Star Wars prequels
-Lord of the Rings
-Xtreme culture (lasted early 90s-mid 2000s)
-Elementary school free of social media

Subject: Re: What things do Old Millennials and Young Millennials have *in common*?

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 06/22/18 at 4:44 pm

Assuming the millennial generation is between 1981-1996, I would say 1981 and 1996 borns recall a time before Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, & smartphones. They had significantly less social media during their childhood than the plurals & both remember the 2000s (Gen Y decade)

Subject: Re: What things do Old Millennials and Young Millennials have *in common*?

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/22/18 at 5:53 pm

AdultSwim
Cartoon Network
Marvel movies
Boy Bands/Girl groups in the late 90s/early 00s. Both 90s teen girls, and 90s little girls loved them
Skeet Ulrich- teen girls in the 90s swooned over him in Scream, young adult women now swoon over him on Riverdale
Green Day - popular among teens in 1994; popular among teens from 2005 to now

Written By: wixness on 06/22/18 at 6:13 pm

Liberal political views I think, for many of them, or at least brought up with rather liberal political views.

Written By: Zelek3 on 06/18/20 at 1:01 pm

A few more things a 35 year old and a 25 year old have in common: pop punk (they were at different life stages in the early 2000s, but both listened to it), neoliberal-oriented kid culture (spanned 90s-early 2000s), Obama's election (a 25 year old couldn't vote in 2008, yeah, but Obama's election was the first election many of them were emotionally invested in), old YouTube (again they were at different life stages, but both participated in it).

Check for new replies or respond here...