inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you agree with this human development chart?

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 06/22/18 at 6:25 pm

Thread inspired by the "at what age is someone old" thread.
I decided to make my own human development chart that correlates with one that already exists, the population pyramid, which is a globally used figure, as it's used by the United Nations;

https://image.ibb.co/etUN9o/images_populationpyramid.png

0-4 = Early Childhod
0 = Infant
1-2 = Toddler
3-4 = Preschooler

5-9 = Middle Childhood

10-14 = Late Childhood
10-12 = Preteen
13-14 = Early Teens

15-19 = Coming of Age
15-17 = Middle Teens
18-19 = Legal Teens

20-39 = Young Adult

40-59 = Middle Aged

60-79 = Senior

80-99 = Elder

100+ = Centenarian

The use of the words "senior" and "elder" in this graph really stem from lack of a better term, but I do believe there should be more simplified terms separating the stages of old age adulthood rather than just "young old age" or "old old age". I really think people in their 60s and 70s belong in their own age group, while people in their 80s and 90s belong in another, as people in their 60s and 70s are still usually active and able to take care of themselves, and the majority of them are still alive, while people in their 80s and 90s are usually frail and tend to need assisted living, and the majority of them are dead (http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=57929.0)

Anyways, what do you all think of this graph?

Subject: Re: Do you agree with this human development chart?

Written By: 2001 on 06/22/18 at 6:38 pm

18-19 = Legal Teens

;D ;D ;D

80s/90s can be called "geriatric" , maybe. But some people take offence to that since it often refers to sick/dying people.

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/22/18 at 7:02 pm

Infanthood: 0-1
Toddler: 2-3
Early Childhood: 4-6
Middle Childhood: 7-9
Pre-Teen Years: 10-12
Early Teens: 13-14
Mid Teens: 15-16
Late Teens: 17-19
Early Young Adulthood: 18-20
Young Adulthood: 21-24
Core Adulthood: 25-35
Pre Middle Age: 35-45
Peak Middle Age: 45-59
Late Middle Age: 60-65
Senior: 66-75
Elder: 75+

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/22/18 at 7:39 pm

15-19 = Coming of Age
15-17 = Middle Teens

How is 15 "coming of age"? Also, I'd say age 17 is more late teens.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 06/22/18 at 8:05 pm

How is 15 "coming of age"? Also, I'd say age 17 is more late teens.
As stated before, I based my chart off the population pyramid. Plus, I do think it still holds a lot of truth, especially since the population pyramid is a figure used globally.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/22/18 at 10:46 pm

Infanthood: 0-1
Toddler: 2-3
Early Childhood: 4-6
Middle Childhood: 7-9
Pre-Teen Years: 10-12

Yours is weird AF. Age 10 to me is still peak childhood and not a preteen yet, while age 6 belongs with the 7-9 year old's and has no business being with 4 or 5 year old's who haven't started Kindergarten yet. 6 year old's are in grade school and could play flag football with 7 & 8 year old's lol.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/22/18 at 11:03 pm

Baby: 0-1

Toddler: 1-3

Early Childhood: 3-5

Core Childhood: 5-11 (8 is the peak of childhood)

Late Childhood: 11-14

Early Teens: 13-14

Core Teens: 14-18 (sweet 16 baby)

Late Teens: 18-19

Early Adulthood (Young Adult): 18-29 (18 is the peak of youth)

Core Adulthood (Regular Adult): 30-44 (40 is the peak of life)

Late Adulthood (Middle Age Adult): 45-59

OLD: 60+ http://c-8oqtgrjgwu46x24ogfkcx2ekipx2eeqo.g00.ign.com/g00/3_c-8yyy.kip.eqo_/c-8OQTGRJGWU46x24jvvrx3ax2fx2fogfkc.kip.eqox2fdqctfhcegux2f62.ikhx3fk32e.octmx3dkocig_$/$/$

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/22/18 at 11:11 pm

Yours is weird AF. Age 10 to me is still peak childhood and not a preteen yet, while age 6 belongs with the 7-9 year old's and has no business being with 4 or 5 year old's who haven't started Kindergarten yet. 6 year old's are in grade school and could play flag football with 7 & 8 year old's lol.

I no longer believe in this "peak childhood" bullsh!t, to be honest. There's no such thing.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/22/18 at 11:14 pm

I no longer believe in this "peak childhood" bullsh!t, to be honest. There's no such thing.

Your peak doesn't have to be the same as mine or others. If you don't believe in the BS, then don't believe it and keep it to yourself. Plain and simple.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/22/18 at 11:25 pm

Your peak doesn't have to be the same as mine or others. If you don't believe in the BS, then don't believe it and keep it to yourself. Plain and simple.

I'm just being honest. Not once is this an actual thing outside of forums that aren't about Generations, decades, etc. It's just something made up.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/22/18 at 11:32 pm

From my experience, 5-year-olds have a lot more in common with 6-year-olds. This isn't just from my own childhood experience either, a lot of 5-year-olds I've seen aren't as "preschool" as people on this forum claim. They can actually talk correctly unlike most 4-year-olds.

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 06/22/18 at 11:45 pm

From my experience, 5-year-olds have a lot more in common with 6-year-olds. This isn't just from my own childhood experience either, a lot of 5-year-olds I've seen aren't as "preschool" as people on this forum claim. They can actually talk correctly unlike most 4-year-olds.

I agree. I have a younger sister who is 8 (turned 8 a week ago) her tastes, habits, & interests now all started when she was 5. She was talkative, playful, active, & making new friends, just like now.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/22/18 at 11:48 pm

I agree. I have a younger sister who is 8 (turned 8 a week ago) her tastes, habits, & interests now all started when she was 5. She was talkative, playful, active, & making new friends, just like now.

Yeah. The difference between 5-year-olds and 6-year-olds is greatly exaggerated on this forum. The only real difference is that the 5-year-old is technically in pre-school and the 6-year-old is in elementary. Hell even before starting Kindergarten, most 5-year-olds I've met can talk surprisingly well. Now obviously not all 5-year-olds are the same, but this is just from my experience.

Written By: Looney Toon on 06/23/18 at 5:33 am

I just see peak childhood as whenever someone enters elementary school which is usually between ages 5 or 6. I believe in the idea of elementary school being a "peak" childhood since that's when I think a child's most important memories and experiences of being a kid tend to come from. When a kid becomes more social with the other kids and is a part of whatever kid trend is happening. By age 11 a kid is in his/her late childhood. Entering middle school and due to being a pre-teen also ends up taking some interest in teen culture? (This is just from my observation. I ain't a researcher). I base childhood-teen years by school ages.

For the OP I split it like this:

0 - 1 = infancy
2 - 3 = toddler
4 (or 5 if born in the later part of a year) = preschooler
5 - 10 (or 6 - 11 if born in late in a year) = peak/elementary school kid
11 - 12 = preteens
13 - 17 = core teen years
18 - 19 = Legal aged teens/really young adults

From there on it's pretty much the same as the OP's opinion.

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/23/18 at 6:36 am

Most of my interests and whatnot at age 8 were cemented by age 4. At age 9, a new set of interests and things I was into started. But if you watch films of me from 1994-1998 (4-8) I am not much different, other than being able to speak more properly and being more mature. At age 9, my interests and views changed and my voice began to change as well. If there is a peak of childhood I believe it takes place from ages 4 through 8.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 06/23/18 at 6:41 am

I don't really think 20-39 should be in the same category. A 20 year old college student is really different to a middle aged 39 year old with 3 school aged kids ;). Maybe 20-24 could be 'extended youth'.

Other than that, your chart seems pretty accurate.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 06/23/18 at 9:32 am

I just see peak childhood as whenever someone enters elementary school which is usually between ages 5 or 6. I believe in the idea of elementary school being a "peak" childhood since that's when I think a child's most important memories and experiences of being a kid tend to come from. When a kid becomes more social with the other kids and is a part of whatever kid trend is happening. By age 11 a kid is in his/her late childhood. Entering middle school and due to being a pre-teen also ends up taking some interest in teen culture? (This is just from my observation. I ain't a researcher). I base childhood-teen years by school ages.

For the OP I split it like this:

0 - 1 = infancy
2 - 3 = toddler
4 (or 5 if born in the later part of a year) = preschooler
5 - 10 (or 6 - 11 if born in late in a year) = peak/elementary school kid
11 - 12 = preteens
13 - 17 = core teen years
18 - 19 = Legal aged teens/really young adults

From there on it's pretty much the same as the OP's opinion.

The problem with using school ages is that it differs by country, not all countries start it at age 5. In Finland, compulsory schooling starts at age 7, and in France, primary schooling starts at age 3. What I tried to do here by basing it off the population pyramid was to use a more global model.
Also, preschool in the US is usually 2-years, starting at age 3.

Written By: ofkx on 06/23/18 at 10:34 am

Infancy: 0-1
Early childhood: 2-5
Middle/"core" childhood: 5-9
Late childhood: 9-puberty
Early teens: 13-14
Mid/"core" teens: 14-16
Late teens: 17-20
Young adulthood: 18-25
Mid/"core" adulthood: 25-45
Middle aged: 45:65
Elder: 65-??

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/23/18 at 2:02 pm

That seems fair. I noticed a rapid change from my parents between ages 40 and 45. At 40 they seemed youthful still and it seemed suddenly like at 45 they had embraced being "older" and even verbalized that they weren't "young" anymore. Whereas at 40, 42, 43 even they didn't seem that way.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 06/25/18 at 7:22 pm

Here's a table I came up with a few years ago, as well as a few alterations to it. I made it mostly because I like dividing things up into 3 groups of 3  ;D but I don't think it stays too far from the truth;

0-2 = Infancy
0 =Infant
1-2 = Toddler

3-11 = Childhood
3-5 = Early Childhood (Preschooler)
6-8 = Middle Childhood
9-11 = Late Childhood (Pre-Adolescence)

12-20 = Adolescence
12-14 = Early Adolescence (Pubescent)
15-17 = Middle Adolescence (Post-Pubescent)
18-20 = Late Adolescence (Legal)

21-29 = Young Adulthood
21-23 = Early Young Adulthood
24-26 = Middle Young Adulthood
27-29 = Late Young Adulthood

30-59 = Core Adulthood
30-39 = Early Core Adulthood
40-49 = Middle Core Adulthood
50-59 = Late Core Adulthood

60-89 = Elderhood
60-69 = Early Elderhood
70-79 = Middle Elderhood
80-89 = Late Elderhood

90+ = Geriatric

Written By: annimal on 06/25/18 at 9:53 pm

I'm a 35 year old what the l

Written By: annimal on 07/09/18 at 11:01 pm

What? don't think I'm 35?

Check for new replies or respond here...