inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What month does a year "really" start?

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/23/18 at 7:26 pm

I know the calendar year begins in January, but I am talking in terms of a cultural/personal sense. Around what month does a year "come into its own" to you?

Subject: Re: What month does a year "really" start?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/23/18 at 7:28 pm

Please. Let's not do this.

Written By: SailorSteven2017 on 06/23/18 at 8:08 pm

Not sure if this is decade-ology (not being sarcastic, I really don't know); I think I'd have to say around Late March(ish) - Early April. Around this time, I feel that a year is longer a "previous year PART TWO" and gets its own vibe.  :P

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 06/23/18 at 8:12 pm

About the time I stop using the previous year by force of habit any time I have to write a date on something.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 06/23/18 at 8:21 pm

Culturally, probably sometime around April.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/23/18 at 8:25 pm

It really depends on my personal life, to be honest. Last year, I didn't really feel like it was "truly" 2017 until May. This year, it was February.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/23/18 at 8:52 pm

All right, fine. A year doesn't really get up and running until it starts getting nice out and everyone gets out of hibernation and start going outside.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 06/23/18 at 10:32 pm

Bro this thread is peak inthe00s  ;D

Yearology... Annuology?

Also when does a day culturally start? Imo not until 2 or 3PM, even though most the day is over by then.

Written By: annimal on 06/23/18 at 11:15 pm

It doesn't feel like January for me until at least half way through the month

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/24/18 at 2:41 am

Bro this thread is peak inthe00s  ;D

Yearology... Annuology?

Also when does a day culturally start? Imo not until 2 or 3PM, even though most the day is over by then.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xhvR9-UNPbM/VPHaVjcSgMI/AAAAAAAAIrU/qIV05TEaxyw/s1600/tumblr_n36tstQKDB1rfd0pgo1_400.gif

Written By: ofkx on 06/24/18 at 4:02 am

I think it begins once the music from the current year overcomes music from the previous year in the charts which usually happens around March-April.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/24/18 at 12:17 pm

Please. Let's not do this.

I agree. I am very tempted to lock this thread and ones like it. Please ENOUGH of these threads.

Cat

Written By: Dundee on 06/24/18 at 12:34 pm

I don't think this is as bad as your typical decadeology discussion which is based entirely on subjective feel, this one question is quite interesting.

I would say around March, when hits that peaked in the previous year are falling off the charts and when the new movies are dominating the discussion.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/24/18 at 1:20 pm

I know the calendar year begins in January, but I am talking in terms of a cultural/personal sense. Around what month does a year "come into its own" to you?

Really, that's not up to us to decide. It all depends upon whether or not Punxatawney Phil sees his shadow.

https://media.giphy.com/media/12lE0HQ7R9TXWg/giphy.gif

Written By: 2001 on 06/24/18 at 4:32 pm

Really, that's not up to us to decide. It all depends upon whether or not Punxatawney Phil sees his shadow.

https://media.giphy.com/media/12lE0HQ7R9TXWg/giphy.gif

He didn't see his shadow this year and we all know how that turned out.  >:(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/24/18 at 6:43 pm

Groundhogology is almost as an exact of a science as yearology.decadeology.

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 06/24/18 at 8:09 pm

Mid/late March or early April.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/24/18 at 8:59 pm

I don't think this is as bad as your typical decadeology discussion which is based entirely on subjective feel, this one question is quite interesting.

I would say around March, when hits that peaked in the previous year are falling off the charts and when the new movies are dominating the discussion.

I actually think it's interesting because there are years that feel like they truly started personally right on time, whereas for some, it took a while for it to feel "different" than last year. Also, it's not like the top 100 songs change right on January 1st.

I feel like 2016 and 2018 were years that I truly feel started right on time for me personally, whereas other years like 2014 and 2017 took some time to feel different from the previous year.

Written By: Howard on 06/25/18 at 5:22 am

We wound up with more winter.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/18 at 5:35 am

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/calendar-white-background-january-d-illustration-52396762.jpg

I agree. I am very tempted to lock this thread and ones like it. Please ENOUGH of these threads.

Cat
btw...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bN9se-ul_aE/SsfH3bSRbhI/AAAAAAAACAA/HUoMTwFcjh0/s800/graham_chapman_stop_that_silly.jpg

Written By: 90s Guy on 06/25/18 at 10:01 am

I think early March. I know when I am signing a letter or the date on a paper, up to around March, I'll at times mistakenly sign the previous year before correcting myself. Jan-Feb just feel like continuations of the previous year to me, unless something big happens, like a new President taking office.

Written By: meesa on 06/25/18 at 4:36 pm

No.
Another thread that is arguing about the equivalent of how many angels are dancing on the head of a pin. This site lets you get away with a lot, but this is just not going further, at least, not in the More Than A Decade section.
It isn't measurable 'culturally' and the topic is closed.
Sorry folks.
http://www.relatably.com/m/img/closed-memes/e3f26165b3a60c52e9dbc54658765e8aa267157504b7dcb826ff2d5add3d168e.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...