inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did your family get color TV?

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/08/18 at 6:40 am

my mom's parents got a color TV in 1961 or 1962, but my dad's parents didn't get one until the early 70s. What about you?

Subject: Re: When did your family get color TV?

Written By: Wobo on 07/08/18 at 7:44 am

I honestly don't know, because I wasn't born in the mid-late 20th century.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/08/18 at 8:59 am

my mom's parents got a color TV in 1961 or 1962, but my dad's parents didn't get one until the early 70s. What about you?

Your grandparents had color TV as early as 61 or 62? That's pretty unusual because very few shows were being broadcast in color at that point.  Some shows were starting to be  FILMED in color by then (for later syndication), but not broadcast in color.
I just looked at Wikipedia and it says as late as 1964 only 3.1 percent of households in the US had color TV.

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/08/18 at 10:42 am

Your grandparents had color TV as early as 61 or 62? That's pretty unusual because very few shows were being broadcast in color at that point.  Some shows were starting to be  FILMED in color by then (for later syndication), but not broadcast in color.
I just looked at Wikipedia and it says as late as 1964 only 3.1 percent of households in the US had color TV.

Yes, I know this for a fact because we have home movies from 62 which show their TV set, did some digging and they had a color set. They had a television set as early as 1954 or 1955. My grandpa loved cartoons and TV in general I am told.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/18 at 12:19 pm

It was about 1975 and the t.v. was my grandmother's old set. She had a t.v. when she moved in with us-in the "mother-in-law's suite" at our house. Then she moved out of state and left her t.v. which we were happy about both-the fact that she moved out and the fact that she left her t.v.

Our old one was a portable B&W that we had to use pliers turn the channels, the on/off knob was also gone so we plugged it in to turn it on (which sometimes it didn't), and our "rabbit ears" was an old hanger with tin foil on it. Yeah, that little t.v. had seen much better days. 

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/08/18 at 12:23 pm

We first got a color TV in 1972. Before that we had the old black and white TVs that looked like a big piece of furniture plus a portable TV in the kitchen on a stand with wheels. After a while the dials would invariably break on these TVs and pliers would have to be used or the dials would have to be jiggled just right to get the channel. None of this was considered very odd in those days, just par for the course.

Written By: Howard on 07/08/18 at 3:01 pm

Probably not until the late 1970's, it was either a Zenith or a Magnavox.

Written By: karen on 07/09/18 at 2:13 pm

Sometime either 1979 or 1980.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/09/18 at 6:06 pm

I remember in the late '60s/early '70s, when they announced shows, they would say, "In color." When I went to watch them, I was so disappointed because they WEREN'T in color like the announcer said they were.

Cat

Written By: violet_shy on 07/09/18 at 7:05 pm

Well, when I was growing up it was always color TV. I think my parents didn't get color TVs until the early 70s.

Written By: nally on 07/09/18 at 7:08 pm

Well, when I was growing up it was always color TV.

Same with me.

I think my parents didn't get color TVs until the early 70s.

Probably the same with mine; I'll have to ask 'em. Mine might have had one before then.

Check for new replies or respond here...