inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bands/Singers (still living) who had hits after they called it quits

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/18 at 11:48 pm

I'm not really talking about artists who passed away, because these days, when that occurs, their entire catalogue ends up in the charts the next week.

I mentioned in this thread about a dance band from Canada called Love Inc. who had a pair of hits circa 1997-98 that would become hits in the UK in 2002-2003 long after the band had broken up.  There are quite a few other artists and songs where this happened.  What are some other examples?

Subject: Re: Bands/Singers (still living) who had hits after they called it quits

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/18 at 12:01 am

In 1983, a band from Toronto called Sheriff had a hit called When i'm with you.  It reached #8 in Canada and #61 in the US.  The band eventually called it quits in 1985, but in 1988, due to popularity in the Las Vegas market, the song was re-released and peaked at US #1 in early 1989. 

This one is kind of ironic because after the band's dissolution, two of the members formed a new band called Frozen Ghost and in 1988, had a hit in Canada called Round and Round that was rising up the charts at the same time as the re-released When I'm with you, so they were eventually competing in the charts with themselves.

JyIGlUoTh9I

Due to the song's success, two other members of Sheriff tried a band reunion which failed so they teamed up with 3 ex-members of Heart, formed a new group called Alias and had a #2 hit in the US with More than words can say in 1990

Subject: Re: Bands/Singers (still living) who had hits after they called it quits

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/18 at 12:22 am

Der kommissar was a popular song by the British group After the Fire.  First recorded by Austrian singer Falco in 1981, they covered it, filmed a video for it, and released their version in late 1982.  Shortly before the release of the single, tensions within the group forced them to call it quits.  In January of 1983, the song peaked at #12 in Canada and by April, had peaked at #5 in the US.  Due to the song's massive success, their (former) record label pleaded with the band to re-group, but they would not.

vBfFDTPPlaM

One of the band members eventually stepped forward, and though the band was still not technically back together, he re-recorded a few of the bands earlier songs.  One called Dancing in the shadows, was released as the 2nd single in the US and went on to peak at US #83 in June of 1983 

Written By: nally on 07/13/18 at 1:24 am

Not sure if this qualifies, but I'll give it a shot.

As most of us know, the Beatles as a band went their separate ways in 1970, and one key member passed on in 1980, but the other three (who were living at the time) reunited in the mid 1990s to record "Free As A Bird" by taking a demo from Lennon (which he himself had made in 1977) and adding their own parts; it would become a hit in late 1995. They did the same with another Lennon demo (made in '79), and made a song called "Real Love", which would be a follow-up single in early 1996.

Written By: whistledog on 07/14/18 at 12:21 am

Not sure if this qualifies, but I'll give it a shot.

As most of us know, the Beatles as a band went their separate ways in 1970, and one key member passed on in 1980, but the other three (who were living at the time) reunited in the mid 1990s to record "Free As A Bird" by taking a demo from Lennon (which he himself had made in 1977) and adding their own parts; it would become a hit in late 1995. They did the same with another Lennon demo (made in '79), and made a song called "Real Love", which would be a follow-up single in early 1996.

I forgot about that one.  It definitely qualifies!

How about Patti Austin? ???

How about her?

Written By: nally on 07/14/18 at 1:19 am

O0

Additionally, some of their hits were also re-released after their breakup, either as part of movie soundtracks, or other means.

How about her?

I was wondering the same!

Written By: Howard on 07/14/18 at 3:10 pm

How about her?

Didn't she still continue to sing after she called it quits?

Written By: nally on 07/14/18 at 3:33 pm

I'm sure many artists do. They'll perform concerts, but won't release new albums.

Written By: whistledog on 07/15/18 at 1:26 am

That's different though.  She is still alive and never has officially announced retirement

Written By: SailorSteven2017 on 07/16/18 at 10:40 pm

Would NKOTB count? I genuinely don't know  :P

My mom was crazy over them  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/18 at 12:42 am

They are still going

Written By: SailorSteven2017 on 07/17/18 at 12:43 pm

They are still going

Oh  :o

Written By: nally on 07/17/18 at 6:17 pm

They are still going

Oh  :o

I thought they might have "called it quits"/brokeup sometime in the 90's (after they had a string of hits), but they did later reunite in the late 2000's, and have been together ever since, according to Wiki.

Written By: whistledog on 07/24/18 at 3:44 am

Here's one that sort of sneaks in ...

Matt Frenette is a musician from Vancouver.  He is known as the drummer for the band Loverboy which he helped form in 1980. 

Previously he had been the drummer for a band called Streetheart but left after they recorded their second album in 1979. 

One of the songs from that album was a cover of the Rolling Stones song 'Under My Thumb'.  It was released as a single and in 1980, it became a Top 20 hit in Canada while Loverboy were recording their debut album.

Frenette can be seen in the video

ogGFzJlRu1Y

Written By: karen on 07/24/18 at 4:55 am

I can't think of any examples off the top of my head but I bet there will be some where a song has been used in an advert.  For example (in the UK at least) Levis 501 adverts in the 80s used song such as Heard It Through The Grapevine, and these all re-entered the charts

Written By: bchris02 on 07/27/18 at 12:05 am

2Pac kept having hits long after he died.

Written By: nally on 07/27/18 at 12:08 am

2Pac kept having hits long after he died.

So did Notorious Big, but this thread asks for performers still living who continued to have hit songs.

Check for new replies or respond here...