inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How far back in the past seems "alien" or creepy to you?

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/15/18 at 6:06 am

What I mean is, at what year do you cease to recognize the past as being a modern age, at what point does it seem like pure history to you rather than modern history?

For example I find the world before around 1956 or 1957 to be a really quaint, strange place, in that it is far enough removed from the present as to seem alien to me; like if I was transported in time say back to 1950, I would feel lost and out of place. Obviously humanity doesn't change, but the level of technology then as compared to what I am used to, the socio-political environment (McCarthy, and rabid anti-Catholicism and anti-Italianism), the absence of even simple things like TV or satellites or even rock n' roll makes any time prior to the late 50s just seem like another world to me. Any time before then creeps me out. I could easily fit in in 1960 or 1970 but anytime before Elvis is like...the twilight zone to me.

Subject: Re: How far back in the past seems "alien" or creepy to you?

Written By: bchris02 on 07/15/18 at 11:33 am

I would say before WWII and especially before the stock market crash of 1929.  The roaring '20s have a creepy vibe to me for whatever reason.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/15/18 at 12:29 pm

I actually been thinking about this type of topic. Haha Glad you made it because I have some serious input.

Honestly, before 1958. Not the middle ages or ancient history tho. I don't see ancient Egypt, Greece and China, etc as creepy because those times have a colorful and mythical spark to them. The past with electric use technology is uneasy to me.

Give me a torch.

Written By: Zelek3 on 07/15/18 at 7:50 pm

The early 2000s. Looking at commercials from that time, it's like they're rough/weird prototypes of the modern day or something, with the bad CGI. They give you a feeling like you're dreaming and you're suspended looking down from the ceiling or something. :P Mid 2000s onward are "normal".

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/15/18 at 9:03 pm

For sure anything before WWII feels super alien to me. One thing in particular that I find jarring is how slowly people talked. Take this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXWl7sMJM2U&t=91s

Everybody talked so slowly and enunciated a lot. It makes me wonder at what point in the 20th century did everyday speech patterns speed up.  ::)

Any era after WWII feels more familiar and modern to me, given the prevalence of television, automobiles, and vaccines.  :D

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 07/15/18 at 9:41 pm

Question for y'all;

Would you be able to live like this guy for one week?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9fI40Nni3k

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/15/18 at 9:52 pm

I guess anything before 1964

Written By: annimal on 07/15/18 at 9:57 pm

50's seem back enough for for me.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 07/15/18 at 11:10 pm

Everything before 1945 seems fairly alien to me.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 07/16/18 at 6:17 am

The present seems alien and creepy to me.

OK, since I was born in Hawaii in the 1960s, that means the time prior to statheood, the arrival of the jet plane, the frenetic building boom in Waikiki and explosion of tourism seems a little odd to me.  So I'd say the late 1950s is the point where things begin to seem more abstract than something that I can personally relate to.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/16/18 at 6:21 am

Things before the 1920's seem like another universe to me.

In the 1920's, cars became more common and affordable, the jazz age ushered in, radio broadcasting began, and by the end of the decade, movies with talking already existed.

Written By: Mitch Kramer on 07/16/18 at 7:35 am

For sure anything before WWII feels super alien to me. One thing in particular that I find jarring is how slowly people talked. Take this video:

Everybody talked so slowly and enunciated a lot. It makes me wonder at what point in the 20th century did everyday speech patterns speed up.  ::)

The slowness might be because they are concerned about the audio quality (recording on the street instead of in a studio).  Same thing with the enunciation.

Gpv_IkO_ZBU

I think people back then actually talked about the same speed they do now.  There seems to be more range in speed in older movies.  I've seen scenes in black and white movies where people talk VERY quickly and talk over each other.  Modern audiences would find it very difficult to keep up with the dialogue of some of these old movies.  In fact, I think, if anything, modern movies are much more moderately paced.  In modern Hollywood productions, they run test screenings and give audiences questionaires to fill out.  The studio will sometimes order reshoots if the test audience finds the dialog is too fast.  If the dialog is too sophisticated, they will dumb down the script.  This is why there's a sort of monotonous quality to modern studio films.  Contrast this to old films where speed is varied for dramatic effect.

wPT49WXC0Zo

Written By: Howard on 07/16/18 at 8:12 am

Question for y'all;

Would you be able to live like this guy for one week?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9fI40Nni3k

I'd probably like to but then after a while I'd miss most of the luxuries that we have today.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/16/18 at 8:41 am

I'd say before 1967/68 or so, and even as a little kid I thought of it that way since I thought of anything before that as the "black & white era" where TV was predominantly in that format and people seemed to act weirder. The Baby Boomers were just coming of age, but the pre-Boomers still dominated culture and society up until around that time. Although you had and rock 'n roll for over a decade prior to then, it was widely lambasted by the general public, even more so than hip hop ever was, outside of certain lyrics, and especially before the Beatles, was only practiced by a narrow adolescent demographic. It would be strange seeing the average age of woman getting married being around sophomore year in college, along with family sizes that are much larger, yet in a lot of households that are smaller in size. Racial discrimination, less eco-friendly measures, and other things like fewer ethnics foods like pizza and Asian food meant that food was a lot more plain, and you didn't have microwave ovens on sale yet. Speaking of anti-Catholicism, this was also right around the time that church's Vatican II Council practices has started to come into affect, meaning a less authoritarian look to that church, and it also meant that Blue Laws (Sunday store closings) starting to gradually go away around that time. Smoking was just starting to discover the unhealthy benefits as well around this time, and to go further back than that, the healthcare and treatment available just wouldn't be enough to support modern medicine.

Sure, you didn't have technology like video games, VCRs, PCs, camcorders, the Internet, answering machines (let alone cellphones), calculators, Cable TV, and the like, but there was still lots to cover and use from what was available, and this was when the social changes of the '60s were staring to get fully appreciated.

Written By: 2001 on 07/16/18 at 8:41 pm

Pre-1920s. Before disposable razors were a thing and people had those twirly moustaches. My granddad was born 1919, so things after that look more familiar.

I don't have much of a problem relating to the 1940s/1950s. I've been to third world countries.  :-X :-X :-X :-X

Written By: Longaotian00 on 07/16/18 at 9:42 pm

Before 2013.

Written By: 2001 on 07/16/18 at 9:44 pm

Before 2013.

2012 is less alien than today LOL

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/16/18 at 10:08 pm

Before WWII.

Written By: SailorSteven2017 on 07/16/18 at 10:37 pm

Anything before the 1950s is "depressing" and "weird" to me

Written By: meesa on 07/16/18 at 10:50 pm

I think people back then actually talked about the same speed they do now.  There seems to be more range in speed in older movies.  I've seen scenes in black and white movies where people talk VERY quickly and talk over each other.  Modern audiences would find it very difficult to keep up with the dialogue of some of these old movies.  In fact, I think, if anything, modern movies are much more moderately paced.  In modern Hollywood productions, they run test screenings and give audiences questionaires to fill out.  The studio will sometimes order reshoots if the test audience finds the dialog is too fast.  If the dialog is too sophisticated, they will dumb down the script.  This is why there's a sort of monotonous quality to modern studio films.  Contrast this to old films where speed is varied for dramatic effect.

Yes- back in the day the transatlantic accent was the standard, enunciation was completely different, clipped and quick compared to the mostly homogeneous accents used in films today. In American films, people have that 'no-accent' like they are from the midwest unless purposely given the Southern drawl, a New Yorker/New Jersey accent or California-surfer accent, it seems.

On the referenced interview film clip above, they were certainly speaking slowly. Probably by-request from the reporter so as to have clear interviews.

Strange to look back now and see hats, ties, suit jackets as every-day wear.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/16/18 at 11:07 pm

I'd say before the 1910s. Essentially before automobiles were prominent and prior to the first World War.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 07/18/18 at 1:08 am

2012 is less alien than today LOL

HAHA true!

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/18/18 at 10:48 am

What is weird is that say, the Roman era or Medieval era, actually seems less alien and creepy to me somehow than the 30s-early 50s. I don't know what it is exactly. I can look at photos from 1860 or 1912 and find them quaint and pleasant, but stuff from the 30s-53 or so just creeps me out. Even family photos from that period look weird to me.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/20/18 at 9:43 am

What is weird is that say, the Roman era or Medieval era, actually seems less alien and creepy to me somehow than the 30s-early 50s. I don't know what it is exactly. I can look at photos from 1860 or 1912 and find them quaint and pleasant, but stuff from the 30s-53 or so just creeps me out. Even family photos from that period look weird to me.

When you hear Medieval, you think of knights and dragons and by Rome being more ancient, its becoming just as magical because its hard to understand how construction was capable then.

The past with electronics is weird.

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 07/20/18 at 2:17 pm

I would say anything before the widespread of color TV is a very different time. When I was little, I thought people back in the days saw in black & white. ;D

Written By: Catherine91UK on 07/22/18 at 12:49 pm

At first I thought 1994 because that's the latest year I have no clear memories of!

But I'd probably find it fairly easy to adapt to the 1970s if I was transported there. So possibly anything before 1970 I might find really alien.

Written By: ofkx on 07/22/18 at 10:25 pm

Anything before 1964 is weird and alien to me.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/28/18 at 4:56 pm

The 1920s and 30s. It's strange because I don't find any decade before that to be creepy. It's only that particular time period of the 20s and 30s. Weird.

Written By: Dundee on 08/02/18 at 2:24 pm

Probably before the 70s I start to "not get", though I suprisingly find the 70s more understandable and comforting than the 80s for some reason.

When you hear Medieval, you think of knights and dragons and by Rome being more ancient, its becoming just as magical because its hard to understand how construction was capable then.

The past with electronics is weird.
When I think of the medieval times, I think of diseases, poverty, horrible medicine, the rich having all the fortune in land, and so on. They're by far the times that creep me out the most. Everytime I think of them, I always think of how gruesome they would have been for anyone to live in. I have a much less aversion of ancient times which are even older than them.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/02/18 at 4:16 pm

When I think of the medieval times, I think of diseases, poverty, horrible medicine, the rich having all the fortune in land, and so on. They're by far the times that creep me out the most. Everytime I think of them, I always think of how gruesome they would have been for anyone to live in. I have a much less aversion of ancient times which are even older than them.

I wouldn't expect you to be the least on the reality side. Haha You could argue all those flaws are still as prevalent today and with technology rapidly flowing, is way more uneasy in a sense.

Its good we can relate on our views of ancient times tho.

Written By: Dundee on 08/02/18 at 4:56 pm

Haha You could argue all those flaws are still as prevalent today and with technology rapidly flowing, is way more uneasy in a sense.
They do but not as it once was. Medicine has improved gigantically since the middle ages, and life expectancy pretty much doubled (from 40 back then, to 80 now getting very common). And infectious diseases like cholera aren't the biggest killers, but health issues (which is up to your choice to improve or not). Not to mention there were no middle classes, so you were most likely to have a harsh job while still keep being dirt poor.
I mean nowadays you can live without or limiting technology, back then life left you very little choices.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 11/01/18 at 11:25 pm

1967-1994 feels like another world. Most things before 1967 feel incomprehensible.

1995-1997: Very dated

1998-2004: Dated

2005-2013: Slightly dated

2014-2018: New

Written By: Dundee on 11/02/18 at 6:01 am

Its good we can relate on our views of ancient times tho.
Sorry for the late response haha, but when you learn more about those times they were actually pretty horrible times too for anyone who wasn't rich (which was 90% of the population back then).

Most of history was written by the rich since the poor usually didn't go to school, so we tend to have more easily a romanticized view of past eras while the reality is much more gruesome.

Written By: 2001 on 11/02/18 at 6:16 am

Pre-1920s. Before disposable razors were a thing and people had those twirly moustaches. My granddad was born 1919, so things after that look more familiar.

I don't have much of a problem relating to the 1940s/1950s. I've been to third world countries.  :-X :-X :-X :-X

I feel like I lived in New York in the 1920s in a past life or something. The 1920s feels so homely and comforting, I can just imagine what it was like when my grandpa was living through it. When I see photos of the 1920s, something about it feels so right ;D

The weird thing is I feel the same about the 1950s, and there's no way I'd actually want to live through that decade, but it feels very homely.

Written By: goodbants on 11/03/18 at 11:58 am

If I were to be transported there right now...

Anything from 2004 onward I would feel perfectly comfortable in because 2004 is the first year I actually remember it being. I'd say anything from 1985-2003 would be weird but I would be fine and not too freaked out. Anything from 1970-1985 would feel alien to me. I wouldn't understand a lot of the culture and I don't feel like I would fit in. Anything pre-1970 is purely historical to me. I'd feel very uncomfortable if I were transported there but it would be interesting.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 11/03/18 at 1:17 pm

1967-1994 feels like another world. Most things before 1967 feel incomprehensible.

2014 seems to be the first year that is connected to today, especially from a political perspective.

It was the first year where SJWs, the Alt-right, ISIS, and "incels" became an issue. It was also the first year where recreational marijuana sales were officially legal.

Written By: Dundee on 11/03/18 at 2:40 pm

*I think that 2016 was the definitive year of this decade because the fashion trends of this decade, as well as the SJW vs. Alt-right political drama, seemed to have peaked that year.

The political drama regarding the 2016 election along with SJWs vs. Alt-right and the fact that it seemed to be the peak of 2010's fashion (example: undercuts) make the year the absolute peak of the decade.

*Though there was the SJW vs. Alt-right drama, it didn't escalate to bigger proportions yet.

*The SJW vs. Alt-right drama became even bigger.

2013 was the last year before the Ukrainian tensions, "incels", SJW vs. Alt-right, legal recreational marijuana sales, and the rise of ISIS.

*The entire SJW vs. Alt-right thing is both mid and late 2010's; it started in around 2014.

When most people think of the term "alt-right", they probably think of:
*The "Jewish Problem"/The "Jewish Question" - the alt-right believes in the Zionist Occupied Government conspiracy theory

*It was the start of fourth-wave feminism, which would become a defining trait of SJW ideology.

Any day after August 12, 2017 is absolutely late 2010's from a political standpoint because that was when some people started to realize that both SJWs and the alt-right were a problem.

In 2013, recreational marijuana sales were still illegal even though they were declared legal in November 2012, there was no ISIS, no one knew what an "incel" was, and SJWs and the Alt-right didn't really exist yet.

It was the first year where SJWs, the Alt-right, ISIS, and "incels" became an issue.

You are Very obsessed with these two words, aren't you

Written By: goodbants on 11/04/18 at 8:08 pm

You are Very obsessed with these two words, aren't you

To be fair the whole SJW vs Alt-Right issue does seem to be a big deal at the moment. I think it's dying down a little but I feel like it's been all over the internet the past few years. I think both sides are cancerous. It really goes to show how divided the political climate is. I've found myself stuck in the middle of it all and I think many other people feel the same.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/05/18 at 11:52 pm

Years before 1993: Another world to me

1993-2018: New

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/19/19 at 10:14 pm

I used to say early 2000s but I was probably exaggerating too much there, and would revise my previous opinion.

Watching TV commercials on Youtube from different years, I'd say early 90s (1990-1992/3) is the farthest that seems alien/distant/dated for me, with the lack of mainstream Internet, leftover 80s "vaporwave" style, and grainy picture/sound quality.

Around the 94-95 commercials is when it starts to feel more comfortably modern with the cleaner picture/sound quality, 80s influences gone, 3d gaming and CGI appearing more, and the Internet starting to be mentioned more.

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/20/19 at 9:06 pm

1993-2018: New

Like I said before, after watching TV commercials, I can see where Early90sGuy was coming from with his 1993 shift idea. After Clinton took office, the commercials started looking a lot more modern. While the 1990-1992 ones still looked like ancient vaporwave, lol.

Written By: violet_shy on 05/21/19 at 10:02 am

I used to say early 2000s but I was probably exaggerating too much there, and would revise my previous opinion.

Watching TV commercials on Youtube from different years, I'd say early 90s (1990-1992/3) is the farthest that seems alien/distant/dated for me, with the lack of mainstream Internet, leftover 80s "vaporwave" style, and grainy picture/sound quality.

Around the 94-95 commercials is when it starts to feel more comfortably modern with the cleaner picture/sound quality, 80s influences gone, 3d gaming and CGI appearing more, and the Internet starting to be mentioned more.

Like I said before, after watching TV commercials, I can see where Early90sGuy was coming from with his 1993 shift idea. After Clinton took office, the commercials started looking a lot more modern. While the 1990-1992 ones still looked like ancient vaporwave, lol.

Really?

;D you guys are so cute, hahaha

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/23/19 at 8:27 pm

Really?

;D you guys are so cute, hahaha

Well I'm quite a bit younger than you, lol. Looking at 80s-1993 commercials and the "vapowave" neon aesthetic is something that seems distant to me, cause I never experienced it firsthand.

Written By: violet_shy on 05/23/19 at 9:26 pm

Well I'm quite a bit younger than you, lol. Looking at 80s-1993 commercials and the "vapowave" neon aesthetic is something that seems distant to me, cause I never experienced it firsthand.

Darn.You missed all the neon. I hope it doesn't seem creepy! ;D

Written By: Zelek3 on 05/24/19 at 10:23 pm

Darn.You missed all the neon. I hope it doesn't seem creepy! ;D

It's not creepy to me, to me it's cool, but distant and ancient, if that makes sense. Heh.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/25/19 at 9:42 pm

I remember being a little kid in the early 90s thinking movies before 1977 were "old" and movies after 1985 were "new."

Written By: wagonman76 on 05/26/19 at 12:52 am

I would say anything before the widespread of color TV is a very different time. When I was little, I thought people back in the days saw in black & white. ;D

My mind still has a hard time comprehending that the world was in color before color TV and film.  Colorized films look so artificial (and they are).

I would say anything before the mid 60s or so.  Before rock or psychadelic music.  All the malt shop and doo wop and everything before that sounds like a completely different world.

Coincidentally that's about when shows started being broadcast in color.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/19 at 9:22 am

My mind still has a hard time comprehending that the world was in color before color TV and film.  Colorized films look so artificial (and they are).

I would say anything before the mid 60s or so.  Before rock or psychadelic music.  All the malt shop and doo wop and everything before that sounds like a completely different world.

Coincidentally that's about when shows started being broadcast in color.
My younger folk of family and friends still cannot believe television and cinema used to be in black and white, I can distinctly remember all of the family in the late 1960s going to watch the Grand National (a big UK horse race) on my grandmother's new coloured television.

Check for new replies or respond here...