inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Generations of Youtube.

Written By: Wobo on 07/16/18 at 12:39 pm

First generation 2005-2009: YTP, Turtorial videos, AMV's, Me At The Zoo, Smosh, Machima

Second generation 2010-2013: Shane, FRED, Dubstep, Smosh, Nigahiga, Machinima, Egoraptor and maybe Pewdiepie and also Markiplier.

Third generation 2014-now? : ?? (Logan Paul, Jake Paul and vlogging maybe and DIYs and cringe compilations and Vine Compilations and SJW/Liberal backlash, Dank memes, Leafyishere and Pryocinical) My list might aswell not be accurate, so feel free to make your own

Subject: Re: Generations of Youtube.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/16/18 at 12:48 pm

In the third generation, I may also include Anti-SJW (Ben Shapiro, Steven Crowder, Sargon of Akkad) and Alt-right (Jared Taylor, Richard Spencer, Henrik Palmgren) videos.

Written By: Wobo on 07/16/18 at 12:50 pm

In the third generation, I may also include Anti-SJW (Ben Shapiro, Steven Crowder, Sargon of Akkad) and Alt-right (Jared Taylor, Richard Spencer, Henrik Palmgren) videos.

True, i was mainly making mines from a younger persons view.

Written By: Wobo on 07/16/18 at 12:54 pm

I think i got the tail end of the second generation of Youtube with me mainly only being part of the third generation of Youtube considering i offcially created my own youtube account in 2014 but i did watch youtube videos back in 2012 and 2013 on my older brother's youtube account.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/16/18 at 1:06 pm

2005-2008: standard definition, 5 star feature, classic design

2009-2012: HD but no Google Plus yet

2013-2016: Google Plus YouTube

2017-present: Modern YouTube

I'm not going heavily detailed, but this is usually how the generations usually go.

Edit: Damn I didn't realize these aligned with the presidential terms  :o

Written By: Wobo on 07/16/18 at 1:08 pm

I'm not going heavily detailed, but this is usually how the generations usually go.

Didn't Google+ youtube end in 2015?

Written By: mqg96 on 07/16/18 at 1:11 pm

In October 2016, YouTube made it possible to reply to pre-Google+ integrated comments once more with or without a Google+ account.

Until January 24, 2017, users accessing the site using desktop computers could access some of the discontinued features by selecting option "Back to classic G+

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google%2B

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/16/18 at 1:12 pm

You can add "early Vevo" to 2009-2012.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/16/18 at 1:13 pm

and 2017 is when YouTube also had a major layout change and a revamp of their logo. So the current era of YouTube now has been going on since last year. It's always been a 4 year cycle of YouTube eras going back to when the website launched in 2005.

Written By: Wobo on 07/16/18 at 1:15 pm

In October 2016, YouTube made it possible to reply to pre-Google+ integrated comments once more with or without a Google+ account.

Until January 24, 2017, users accessing the site using desktop computers could access some of the discontinued features by selecting option "Back to classic G+

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google%2B

Okay then, i kind of do miss the via google+ comment thing, when you comment on a video it would show up on your Google+ profile. I also remember when Google+ updated they're website, i think they took away their Classic Google+ tab. I know all of this since i've been a Google+ veteran. I actively posted and only used Google+ alot until i got an instagram account in 2016. I stopped actively using it this year.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/16/18 at 1:17 pm

2008 - 2011 YT >>>

edit: YT went down hill when it became too commercialized and Google took over. Don't quote me saying Google's owned YT since 2005/2006. You know what I'm talking about.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/16/18 at 1:18 pm

I liked the 2005-2008 era of Youtube.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/16/18 at 1:19 pm

Okay then, i kind of do miss the via google+ comment thing, when you comment on a video it would show up on your Google+ profile. I also remember when Google+ updated they're website, i think they took away their Classic Google+ tab. I know all of this since i've been a Google+ veteran. I actively posted and only used Google+ alot until i got an instagram account in 2016. I stopped actively using it this year.

I find this funny but interesting at the same time, because I remember when Google+ took over all users' new way of messaging each other and getting notifications back in 2013, everybody complained to the top of their lungs. Everybody missed the old inbox feature YouTube had from 2012 and earlier (and TBH that was much better and simpler). Kinda like an email account where you go to your inbox and see who replied to you and you could message your friends (and YouTube used to have a friend system back then too before Google+ came).

Written By: mqg96 on 07/16/18 at 1:22 pm

I liked the 2005-2008 era of Youtube.

I did too. That will always be my favorite era of YouTube when it wasn't HD yet. The copyright strikes weren't as strict back then. YouTube compilation videos and YouTube poops were actually hilarious because it was nothing like you seen on the internet before. When 1 million subscribers was like miracle and those users were actually good. Although 2009-2012 YouTube comes extremely close IMO. I miss the old inbox and friends system YouTube used to have until Google+ crashed that, and it hasn't been the same ever since.

Written By: Wobo on 07/16/18 at 1:23 pm

I find this funny but interesting at the same time, because I remember when Google+ took over all users' new way of messaging each other and getting notifications back in 2013, everybody complained to the top of their lungs. Everybody missed the old inbox feature YouTube had from 2012 and earlier (and TBH that was much better and simpler). Kinda like an email account where you go to your inbox and see who replied to you and you could message your friends (and YouTube used to have a friend system back then too before Google+ came).

Yeah, i know about the friend system. I don't remember when Google+ merged with Youtube in 2013 probably because since i was 9 and i didn't care what was going on then. I mainly watched Nintendo related videos back in 2013 mostly Super Mario videos but i sometimes watched other stuff. But from my memory it was mostly Super Mario videos.

Written By: Wobo on 07/16/18 at 1:51 pm

2008 - 2011 YT >>>

edit: YT went down hill when it became too commercialized and Google took over. Don't quote me saying Google's owned YT since 2005/2006. You know what I'm talking about.

Okay then.  ;D

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/16/18 at 1:54 pm

Vevo actually used to be exciting Hahahaha

Its been said so many times. YouTube is a shell of its former self. Its incomprehensible how striped away YouTube has been and, it happened anyway. The site had a lot more life to it, you don't feel the presence of anymore.

What f'd it up even more, talk show hosts started to make accounts.

Written By: Howard on 07/16/18 at 2:18 pm

and also there was an option where you can let Google access your log-in's every time you join or enter a site with your password so you never have to use a log in and password and let Google do everything for you.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/16/18 at 2:20 pm

Okay then.  ;D

;D ;D

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/16/18 at 2:55 pm

How I define the generations of Youtube

2005-October 2006:Youtube before the Google buyout. Simple videos and no ad sense yet. The rise of Smosh.

October 2006-2009:Golden age of Youtube. This is when Youtube was buzzing around the mainstream and acts like Fred, Souja boy and Justin Beiber became household names.

2010- early 2012:Sliver age: Youtube had pretty much become a dominant website by that point, reaching billons of people around the world and replacing the 5 star ratings to the Like and Dislike. Videos longer than 10 mintues were more common to the point where you started seeing hour long videos.

2012-2013 Cosmic Panda:This is the era where  Youtube started to see itself as more of a social media platform than a video sharing site with the advent of Google hangouts, videos could be done up to 10 hours and the classic backgrounds of 1.0 and 2.0 just became Black and White.

Late 2013-Mid 2015 Google Plus:Google plus took over youtube to the point where the only way you can upload a video or post a comment was to sign up for G plus, it was also when Youtube stripped away all background customization into what we have now.

July 2015-August 2017 Youtube becomes more mobile and demonization: Youtube started to become more multi-media foucsed with Youtube Red for movies and Youtube music for music and Youtube kids for kids.  Youtube removed the Google plus requirement (which killed the platform), but creators were even more pissed at Youtube because of adsense wasn't paying enough, the algorithm issue of watch time and Youtube began taking down videos with little to no explict content. Youtube started noticing how many kids are on the platform so they began to cater towards kids and teens by being more mobile ready with Youtube live.

August 2017-present:New Logo-Youtube change there logo and the layout of the site last August to re-introduce themselves as a platform. Youtube also added a mobile messenging feture where you can text to you phone contacts on Youtube. A lot of people weren't happy with the new layout, so Youtube gave you an option to return to the 2016 layout (which I'm using at the moment). Youtube also gave you an option to go live without Google hangout from your desktop so that way users who don't understand hangouts can just use the camera icon.

Check for new replies or respond here...