inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you prefer skinnier lapels/ties, or wider ones?

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/20/18 at 10:09 am

It seems every ten to twenty years, fashion cycles between favoring wide lapels and ties on suits, and small ones.

For example, in the 30s and 40s, wide double breasted suits were popular. In the 50s and 60s, single breasted suits and lapels and ties became skinnier and skinnier. In the 70s, they became as large if not larger than the 40s; the 80s returned to a 60s esque look. The early to mid 90s featured a return of massive lapels and ties as well as a comeback of the double breasted suit, and the end of the decade into the 00s reversed back to skinny.

Question is, what do you prefer?

Subject: Re: Do you prefer skinnier lapels/ties, or wider ones?

Written By: 2001 on 07/20/18 at 12:13 pm

I prefer slightly wide over skinny. When I wear skinny ties, I barely feel like I'm wearing a tie, for some reason. :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/20/18 at 12:24 pm

I only wear a tie on important occasions.

Written By: nally on 07/20/18 at 2:25 pm

Same with me, such as for a job interview, or a formal night on the cruise ship.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/20/18 at 2:26 pm

Same with me, such as for a job interview, or a formal night on the cruise ship.
I started to wear one at my last job, but told it was not needed.

Written By: 2001 on 07/20/18 at 2:31 pm

That reminds me of when I went to my first job interview at 14 in a full suit. It was for the job of cashier at a video game store.  :-X

Written By: nally on 07/20/18 at 2:32 pm

Such attire is not required at my current job (in fact, my boss says that the dress code is casual, but at the same time I like to look presentable). But I'm pretty sure I did wear one to my interview in November of 2015.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/20/18 at 3:13 pm

It seems every ten to twenty years, fashion cycles between favoring wide lapels and ties on suits, and small ones.
the 80s returned to a 60s esque look.

The 80s didn't return to a 60s look, the 80s reverted to the 50s. Although some skinnier ties and (especially) lapels can look quite good, I still have a bad taste in my mouth regarding skinny ties and lapels from when it reverted back to skinny from the wider styles in 1981 when the cultural 80s began. Skinny ties are emblematic of "new wave" fashion and music.  The 80s are far from my favorite decade fashion-wise, music-wise, or any-other-wise.  8-P

Written By: Howard on 07/20/18 at 4:55 pm

Same here, I only wear ties on occasions.

Written By: Howard on 07/20/18 at 4:56 pm

I wear clip-on & zipper ties.

Written By: 2001 on 07/20/18 at 5:04 pm

I had to wear a tie for my school uniform in Grade 11. I became a pro at tying ties then :P

Most recently, I had to wear a tie to a funeral a couple of weeks ago. I had only one black tie, which was a skinny tie, and I thought it looked very cheap, hence my distaste for skinny ties.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/18 at 2:15 pm

For years, people have shown me how to tie a tie but then years later I just forgot how to so I've been wear clip-on's instead.

Check for new replies or respond here...