inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Would you spend a week in the 1940s? (time-warp house)

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 07/22/18 at 7:33 pm

Thought this would make for an interesting thread.

If you had the opportunity, would you take a bet or a challenge of staying in a 1940s timewarp house, like the one the guy in the video below me lives in, for one week? If so, how would you manage, would you be fine, or would you want to end the challenge after only a few hours or so?
If not the 1940s, would you do this for another past-time period? (must be one you weren't alive in)
Let me know in the comments below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9fI40Nni3k

Subject: Re: Would you spend a week in the 1940s? (time-warp house)

Written By: Wobo on 07/22/18 at 7:41 pm

Nope.

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 07/22/18 at 7:42 pm

Nope.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/22/18 at 7:47 pm

Nope.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/22/18 at 8:11 pm

Nah fam, I'm good.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/22/18 at 9:40 pm

I think I could do it, but rather in America than Britain, because in the 40s Britain kept getting blitzkriegs and I'm not for that. I would be kind of mad giving up twitter and Michael Jackson for a week, but I'd enjoy it if I could dress the part and watch the old films and stuff. Read the vintage magazines. And I like the big band music anyway, so give me Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey.

I'd also like to do the 80s, because, duh, best decade ever.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/23/18 at 12:05 am

Hell no.

Written By: Dundee on 07/23/18 at 1:32 am

Ew no.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 07/23/18 at 2:50 am

You guys are no fun! I'd totally spend a week in the 40's. I think it would be pretty interesting to see what America was like during my grandfather's childhood and WW2. 

Written By: Howard on 07/23/18 at 5:53 am

I don't think I could do it, I'd miss all the luxuries that we have today compared to 70 years ago.

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/23/18 at 9:27 am

Yes, it would be cool to meet my great grandpa and other relatives as well as go down South and meet a young pre fame Elvis.

Written By: deloresthegreat on 07/23/18 at 3:23 pm

Something about the pre-1960s period feels scary to me... even the 1960s feel kind of scary to me, actually.  The generation just feels so far removed from my own.  I would be scared to death if I were in the 1940s and still the same race and gender that I currently am. 

Written By: karen on 07/24/18 at 5:01 am

There have been a series of programmes in the UK based on this premise. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_in_Time_for...

Back In Time For … So far there has been Dinner, Christmas, The Weekend, Tea and Brixton (a one-off charting the story of how African-Caribbean immigration has changed British culture and society).

A family lives in a house for a while experiencing the foods, cooking methods, activites etc appropriate to the year. Mostly these have been have been living through the decades from the 50s to the 1990s.

I think it would be fun for a short while.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/24/18 at 7:16 am

It would be cool heading to banks and asking for rolls of coins, and looking for stuff like Indian Head cents, Shield and "V" nickels, Barber (and possibly even Seated) coinage for dimes through half dollars, in addition to silver dollars. Of course, the value of those coins would reflect their availability, so that a worn 1890s Half Dollar would still be worth just 50 cents unless if its a rare date/mint, much like how a 1960s (1965+) quarter is still worth just a quarter.

The rail system was a lot more efficient today with commercial aviation still in its infancy. It would be great way to hop on a train and enjoy the ride, especially if the train comes with a radio. I'd also try to end up by a TV sales room just to catch the earliest television out there that very few imagine exist now.

I'd be most interested of course in the cores of cities, namely ones that were in their prime then like Detroit, Baltimore, New Orleans, Cleveland, St. Louis, and Pittsburgh. Lots of neat architecture, few chains to shop, more formal attire, no technology except for a few cameras here and there among streetgoers, and festivals that are meant to be entertained. Remember, the war only took half the decade, so there was still some time to experience normalcy. I'd be a fan of Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Dinah Shore, Ella Fitzgerald, and Nat "King" Cole among musicians.

Since most stores and more were closed on Sunday back then, I'd be sure to try to head to a big city that day.

Of course, I wouldn't leave North America due to geopolitical turmoils, though thankfully I'm now just past drafting age.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/18 at 8:10 am

What would I be doing in The 1940's? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...