inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is twerking a Gen Z phenomenon?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/22/18 at 7:44 pm

So, I was watching a Madea movie on Friday with my friend, and it was about Halloween. Sometime after the beginning, a group of teens attends a party that takes place in the woods, and all of a sudden people are twerking to the songs that played on the stereo. It got me thinking this morning that twerking seems more likely a Gen Z phenomenon rather than a Millennial fad considering whenever I read or hear any discussions in the media involving Millennials, they never mention the twerking trend that has been popular throughout this decade for some reason.

So, do you all agree with my post or is inaccurate?

Subject: Re: Is twerking a Gen Z phenomenon?

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/22/18 at 7:46 pm

I'm pretty sure it is. I mean I haven't seen anyone born in the 80's twerk with the exception of Nicki Minaj  ;D ;D

Written By: Wobo on 07/22/18 at 7:55 pm

https://i.imgur.com/dPBCESv.png

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/22/18 at 8:11 pm

No, it isn't. Twerking has been a thing for decades.

Also, just check out rap videos from the late '90s and 2000s, you'll see a lot of twerking.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/22/18 at 8:16 pm

I'm pretty sure it is. I mean I haven't seen anyone born in the 80's twerk except for Nicki Minaj  ;D ;D
Me either or anyone in my age group. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Also, check out rap videos from the late '90s and 2000s, you'll see a lot of twerking.
It was mainly an underground thing back then. It didn't become mainstream until this decade. I don't remember any of my black friends, family and I talking about twerking before the '10s.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 07/22/18 at 8:21 pm

Considering that the whole age ushered in with Miley Cyrus in 2013, I'd probably say yes.

Many of the people who were part of that whole fad were born in the second half of the 90's (1995-1999), and many sources will consider them Generation Z instead of Millennials.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/22/18 at 8:25 pm

Also, just check out rap videos from the late '90s and 2000s, you'll see a lot of twerking.

Booty shaking culture has been a thing for decades, probably centuries too, but people didn't use the word "twerking" back then though.

The term "twerking" has been used by millennials and Gen Z, no, it's not just a Gen Z thing only. "Twerking" became the craze by my sophomore year of high school.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/22/18 at 8:27 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twerking

This might explain it.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/22/18 at 8:29 pm

It's been called twerking for a long time but the word "popping" was used more often.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/22/18 at 8:30 pm

"Twerking" became the craze by my sophomore year of high school.

Wasn't your sophomore year in high school in like 2012? Twerking became more of a craze in like 2013 from what I remember. That's one of the reasons why I consider 2013 the first core 2010's year.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/22/18 at 8:31 pm

Considering that the whole age ushered in with Miley Cyrus in 2013, I'd probably say yes.

Many of the people who were part of that whole fad were born in the second half of the 90's (1995-1999), and many sources will consider them Generation Z instead of Millennials.

It probably became more popular in my area before yours did. Because around the Atlanta area "twerking" had already existed much longer (and I'm talking about the term here guys).

Google Trends search reveals that interest in the word "twerk" arose in November 2011.

yep, my sophomore of high school sounds about right, hell, it may have been slightly earlier than that.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/22/18 at 8:32 pm

It probably became more popular in my area before yours did. Because around the Atlanta area "twerking" had already existed much longer (and I'm talking about the term here guys).

Google Trends search reveals that interest in the word "twerk" arose in November 2011.

yep, my sophomore of high school sounds about right, hell, it may have been slightly earlier than that.

I live in New Jersey and I didn't hear the term "twerking" until 2013.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/22/18 at 8:34 pm

It's been called twerking for a long time but the word "popping" was used more often.

It was definitely regional before it became more mainstream over the years though, I know for a fact, and it originated from the "Dirty South". From New Orleans, to Memphis, Atlanta, and Miami.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/22/18 at 8:37 pm

The word "twerk" actually originated in the 90's from New Orleans, but again, it took years for it to become mainstream.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/22/18 at 8:39 pm

Booty shaking culture has been a thing for decades, probably centuries too, but people didn't use the word "twerking" back then though.

The term "twerking" has been used by millennials and Gen Z, no, it's not just a Gen Z thing only. "Twerking" became the craze by my sophomore year of high school.
This! Booty shaking is the dance I'm aware that has been a thing at least since ancient times. I don't know where he got twerking from since it was primarily underground back then. Aren't they two different dances?

That's how I found out about Twerking. I first heard the word during the 2011-12 school year due to my high school friends.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/22/18 at 8:44 pm

It was definitely regional before it became more mainstream over the years though, I know for a fact, and it originated from the "Dirty South". From New Orleans, to Memphis, Atlanta, and Miami.

Yeah, it's always feels silly when the mainstream acts like it "discovered" something new. Same thing with clout, lit, trash, turn up, game, etc. After it hits mainstream it becomes overused and it doesn't feel "cool" anymore lol

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/22/18 at 8:45 pm

If you're referring to the term 'twerking', I agree with Rainbow and NerdyGamer that it didn't start to reach prominence until around 2013. You could thank Miley Cyrus's infamous Wrecking Ball music video for that. It reached apex popularity with Nicki Minaj's Anaconda music video, and its been like that ever since. I don't remember hearing the term prior to 2013, but I certainly remember 'booty shaking', which is essentially the same thing. That wasn't an 'underground' thing, it was prominent in hip-hop culture since the 1990s.

_JphDdGV2TU

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/22/18 at 8:46 pm

It was mainly an underground thing back then. It didn't become mainstream until this decade. I don't remember any of my black friends, family and I talking about twerking before the '10s.

Twerking was NOT a mainly underground thing.

Check out these videos:

IYH7_GzP4Tg

WEYMaSoXQUM

Q1dUDzBdnmI

Written By: 2001 on 07/22/18 at 8:46 pm

Ermm, no?  Many of my early 90s friends twerked at parties. Wasn't it a 2013 thing? Gen Z was like 12 lol.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/22/18 at 8:46 pm

Yeah, it's always feels silly when the mainstream acts like it "discovered" something new. Same thing with clout, lit, trash, turn up, etc. After it hits mainstream it becomes overused and it doesn't feel "cool" anymore lol

That's exactly how I feel about the word "SWAG". That word got totally ruined by the mainstream throughout the 2010's.  :-\\

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/22/18 at 8:47 pm

If you're referring to the term 'twerking', I agree with Rainbow and NerdyGamer that it didn't start to reach prominence until around 2013. You could thank Miley Cyrus's infamous Wrecking Ball music video for that.

It was more so that VMA performance

and @Shawn right

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/22/18 at 8:48 pm

If you're referring to the term 'twerking', I agree with Rainbow and NerdyGamer that it didn't start to reach prominence until around 2013. You could thank Miley Cyrus's infamous Wrecking Ball music video for that. It reached apex popularity with Nicki Minaj's Anaconda music video, and its been like that ever since. I don't remember hearing the term prior to 2013, but I certainly remember 'booty shaking', which is essentially the same thing. That wasn't an 'underground' thing, it was prominent in hip-hop culture since the 1990s.

_JphDdGV2TU

Do you live in New Jersey too? Cause I live there and I never heard of it before 2013. It probably got popular in some states earlier.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/22/18 at 8:52 pm

Aw man I'm loving this thread right now!  :D  I like how where you grew up OR what type of cultural music you predominantly focused on will make you have a different opinion on when this word became popular.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/22/18 at 8:53 pm

Aw man I'm loving this thread right now!  :D  I like how where you grew up OR what type of cultural music you predominantly focused on will make you have a different opinion on when this word became popular.

;D ;D ;D

Written By: Wobo on 07/22/18 at 8:54 pm

I probably never heard the word twerking until 2014, i never cared for stupid stuff like that. I do rememeber when Anaconda by Nicki Minaj was popular though.

Written By: 2001 on 07/22/18 at 8:54 pm

I was exposed to twerking before 2013 but the video is too racey for this family friendly forum  ;D

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/22/18 at 8:55 pm

Ermm, no?  Many of my early 90s friends twerked at parties. Wasn't it a 2013 thing? Gen Z was like 12 lol.

LOL Good poiint ;D.

It was more so that VMA performance

and @Shawn right

Yeah thats what I meant to say. Sorry, that entire abhorrent era of Miley just blends together...

Do you live in New Jersey too? Cause I live there and I never heard of it before 2013. It probably got popular in some states earlier.

Yeah I live in New Jersey and am originally from Brooklyn and I could tell you, having 4 older sisters, that the 'booty shaking' trend had been big for decades before the term 'twerking' ever got big. Heck I went to a few HS parties in 2010-2012 and girls were certainly shaking their buts, but it wasn't called 'twerking' then.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/22/18 at 8:57 pm

That's exactly how I feel about the word "SWAG." That word got ruined by the mainstream throughout the 2010's.  :-\\
When did you first hear that word? I remember hearing it back in 2008 thanks to Soulja Boy's" Turn My Swag On."

Twerking was NOT a mainly underground thing.

Check out these videos:

IYH7_GzP4Tg

WEYMaSoXQUM

Q1dUDzBdnmI
Weren't the other dances as well as booty shaking more popular during the 2000s? I'm honestly telling you. I don't recall any African-American - friend or family twerking or even talking about the term prior to the 2010s.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/22/18 at 8:57 pm

When did you first hear that word? I remember hearing it back in 2008 thanks to Soulja Boy's" Turn My Swag On."
Weren't the other dances as well as booty shaking more popular during the 2000s? I'm honestly telling you. I don't recall any African-American - friend or family twerking or even talking about the term prior to the 2010s.

Maybe it's because you're from the west coast?  ???

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/22/18 at 9:00 pm

I'm not trying making fun of him or anything but he also didn't hear about lil wayne until like 2008  ;D

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/22/18 at 9:05 pm

Yeah thats what I meant to say. Sorry, that entire abhorrent era of Miley just blends together...

Yeah she is literally the reason that word became popular in mainstream. What's funny is that now she says she doesn't like most hip-hop/rap because of the negative messages although she herself perpetrated those messages.  ???

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/22/18 at 9:06 pm

The word "twerk" originated in the South and has been widely used among Black Southerners since the 1990s.

"Twerking" and "Pop locking" entered the mainstream in the 2000s. However, the act of "twerking" wasn't considered "mainstream" enough because White people and non-Southerners mostly thought that it was just "butt/booty shaking".

However, the word "twerk" itself blew up nationwide in 2011 and was finally fully accepted in the mainstream when Miley Cyrus twerked on Robin Thicke at the 2013 VMAs.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/22/18 at 9:13 pm

Yeah she is literally the reason that word became popular in mainstream. What's funny is that now she says she doesn't like most hip-hop/rap because of the negative messages although she herself perpetrated those messages.  ???

If Miley Cyrus actually said this then she's the biggest hypocritical b**ch in the world. This is why I can't stand her and I have never liked herself and her nasty/shady attitude. Sad thing I believe she could have been the best female country artist of this modern era had she just kept her image with songs like "The Climb" or "Party in the USA". That's the ONLY version of Miley Cyrus I enjoyed throughout her career since 2006-present.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/22/18 at 9:14 pm

The word "twerk" originated in the South and has been widely used among Black Southerners since the 1990s.

"Twerking" and "Pop locking" entered the mainstream in the 2000s. However, the act of "twerking" wasn't considered "mainstream" enough because White people and non-Southerners mostly thought that it was just "butt/booty shaking".

However, the word "twerk" itself blew up nationwide in 2011 and was finally fully accepted in the mainstream when Miley Cyrus twerked on Robin Thicke at the 2013 VMAs.

Couldn't have said it better than myself.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/22/18 at 9:15 pm

I can't sand her.

That's pretty normal. I don't think anyone can "sand" someone.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/22/18 at 9:16 pm

That's pretty normal. I don't think anyone can "sand" someone.

Edited it before I saw this. I have an extreme bad habit of not checking my spelling because I'm always desperate to get the post off. Anyways, back on the "TWERKING" topic!  ::)

Written By: 2001 on 07/22/18 at 9:19 pm

If Miley Cyrus actually said this then she's the biggest hypocritical b**ch in the world. This is why I can't stand her and I have never liked herself and her nasty/shady attitude. Sad thing I believe she could have been the best female country artist of this modern era had she just kept her image with songs like "The Climb" or "Party in the USA". That's the ONLY version of Miley Cyrus I enjoyed throughout her career since 2006-present.

Remember her feud with Nicki Minaj ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 07/22/18 at 9:21 pm

The funny thing is, not only I already knew of the word before Miley Cyrus' music video came out, but the word had already become mainstream in my metro area over a year before the music video got released!

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 07/22/18 at 9:21 pm

I live in Tennessee, & I heard the term in 2011 or 2012.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/22/18 at 9:22 pm

Remember her feud with Nicki Minaj ;D

Oh lawd please don't even get me started with that drama!  ;D

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/22/18 at 9:24 pm

That's pretty interesting. I don't know how it was like in the southern states, but I think the term "twerking" wasn't really that popular in the northeastern states until 2013. I don't remember a single person mentioning the word "twerking" before 2013.

Written By: graciee on 07/22/18 at 9:28 pm

I am in New Jersey. I heard twerking in 2013.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/22/18 at 9:36 pm

Most likely the reason. Even the time I visited Tennessee, I didn't hear a black person speak of the word. I see you're right that it does depend on what region one lives.

I'm not trying making fun of him or anything, but he also didn't hear about Lil Wayne until like 2008  ;D
How was I supposed to know he was a feature in "Back that Thang Up" or even "Soldier" by other artists? I listened to those songs thousands of times and I don't remember hearing his voice.

Yeah, she is the reason that word became popular in the mainstream. What's funny is that now she says she doesn't like most hip-hop/rap because of the negative messages although she perpetrated those messages.  ???
Do you think she was going through an awful phase at that time? From 2013-15/16, she rebelled against society and was constantly getting into trouble with the law. Since the last year though, she has redeemed herself and is now a different person than what she was a few years ago.

The funny thing is, not only I already knew of the word before Miley Cyrus' music video came out, but the word had already become mainstream in my metro area over a year before the music video got released!
Me too! I knew about twerking a year and a half before Miley's infamous song and video.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/22/18 at 9:37 pm

I am in New Jersey. I heard twerking in 2013.

You heard people twerking in 2013?  ;D ;D

Written By: graciee on 07/22/18 at 9:41 pm

You heard people twerking in 2013?  ;D ;D

In 2013, I heard the word twerk.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/22/18 at 9:46 pm

Do you think she was going through an awful phase at that time? From 2013-15/16, she rebelled against society and was constantly getting into trouble with the law.

I think it was a combination of several things. I think she did it for attention but was also reaping the consequences of being a star at such a young age. That's a lot of pressure. She wanted to shake that Hanna Montana image that she was boxed in. I don't know how long HM lasted but I'm assuming it was over or almost over by the time "Party in the USA." dropped. She was so boxed into that kiddie image that when the Party in the USA video dropped people were calling her a whore and a bad role model for simply wearing shorts in the video. That type of stupid stuff can definitely make a girl want to rebel. When people trash your character for something so unimportant and inoffensive. She wanted to give them the middle finger.

Written By: Rainbowz on 07/22/18 at 9:47 pm

In 2013, I heard the word twerk.

Ok, because I was about to say what you doin' hearin' ladies twerk?  ;D ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 07/22/18 at 9:50 pm

I think it was a combination of several things. I think she did it for attention but was also reaping the consequences of being a star at such a young age. That's a lot of pressure. She wanted to shake that Hanna Montana image that she was boxed in. I don't know how long HM lasted but I'm assuming it was over or almost over by the time "Party in the USA." dropped. She was so boxed into that kiddie image that when the Party in the USA video dropped people were calling her a whore and a bad role model for simply wearing shorts in the video. That type of stupid stuff can definitely make a girl want to rebel. When people trash your character for something so unimportant and inoffensive. She wanted to give them the middle finger.

You make a lot of good points and about the whole "bad role model" thing you're absolutely right I remember this. Oh God.... the extreme conservative parents had a major problem with this. From what I remember, a lot of non-Miley Cyrus fans (or anti-Hannah Montana people) thought that was her best work along with "The Climb". Now "Can't Be Tamed" I can definitely understand why anyone would think that was an edgy image for her.  :o

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/22/18 at 9:57 pm

I think it was a combination of several things. I think she did it for attention but was also reaping the consequences of being a star at such a young age. That's a lot of pressure. She wanted to shake that Hanna Montana image that she had. I don't know how long HM lasted, but I'm assuming it was over or almost over by the time "Party in the USA." dropped. She got boxed into that kiddie image that when the Party in the USA video dropped people were calling her a whore and a bad role model for simply wearing shorts in the video. That type of stupid stuff can make a girl want to rebel. When people trash your character for something so unimportant and inoffensive, she wanted to give them the middle finger.
The show was on for five years and ended in 2011, so the series still aired when the "Party in the USA" came out. As for the name calling, she had already stirred controversy in 2008 for going topless in a magazine when I possibly think began people saw her as a bad role model. Then after her famous song, she had another one in 2010 called "Can't Be Tamed" which I think nailed the final coffin for the innocent Miley as well as her show ending early the following year.

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/22/18 at 10:06 pm

The show was on for five years and ended in 2011, so the series still aired when the "Party in the USA" came out. As for the name calling, she had already stirred controversy in 2008 for going topless in a magazine when I possibly think began people saw her as a bad role model. Then after her famous song, she had another one in 2010 called "Can't Be Tamed" which I think nailed the final coffin for the innocent Miley as well as her show ending early the following year.

I think I vaguely remember that. She was definitely too young to be doing that but if I remember correctly it didn't really involve any sexy poses. It was like she was just sitting there but she shouldn't  have done that. She was only like 16 in 2008. That's extremely inappropriate.

Written By: ofkx on 07/22/18 at 10:23 pm

I think I vaguely remember that. She was definitely too young to be doing that but if I remember correctly it didn't really involve any sexy poses. It was like she was just sitting there but she shouldn't  have done that. She was only like 16 in 2008. That's extremely inappropriate.

What's so inappropriate about the picture? The only thing that was showing was her back. It's not like she had her titties out for the world :/

Written By: piecesof93 on 07/22/18 at 10:34 pm

What's so inappropriate about the picture? The only thing that was showing was her back. It's not like she had her titties out for the world :/

Because she was only around the age of 16. Like I said though, I only vaguely remember the incident and I don't even remember the context surrounding the photo. Either way, I say it's inappropriate for a teenager to pose in a magazine topless. Once your an adult you can do what you want.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/22/18 at 10:51 pm

The first time I hard of it was with this song in 2012.

ffOX5ub0tYY

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/22/18 at 10:59 pm

Because she was only around the age of 16. Like I said though, I only vaguely remember the incident and I don't even remember the context surrounding the photo. Either way, I say it's inappropriate for a teenager to pose in a magazine topless. Once your an adult you can do what you want.

I also vaguely remember the incident. However, the pictures were a bit more raunchy than her back lol. Also, her computer was hacked and then the photos were released online. She wasn't the one who showed them. She was only 15 at the time they were leaked.

Just search "miley cyrus 2008 leaked photos" into Google Images.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/22/18 at 11:30 pm

That and along with her still being on the show Hannah Montana at the time, with the show arguably at its peak in popularity. That certainly set a dangerous precedent to her image to young girls in the Late 2000s.

That is actually one of my major complaints with the company since 2006; how it created a falsified image to young kids back then of how 'mature' and 'grown' teenagers were, which inadvertently lead to the sort of sexualization of many young Disney stars. Its a legacy that I still see in kids today, many of them try to act 'older' than they are. They ask their folks for smartphones, they create social media accounts (which are very dangerous at a young age), ask to go to the mall with their friends, they have 'relationships' in elementary school, I could go on and on. Where do you think these kids get these ideas from? Television.

Obviously, it is not completely the fault of Disney, but it shows how crazy and intense the amount of stress many young Disney stars face in trying to create this warped reality for kids to enjoy, which have led to many of the stars resorting to drug use and or other illicit activities. And when these same kids see many of their favorite stars like Miley, Demi, Ariana, etc. go in these more 'mature' directions, where do you think they're going to go?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but something changed in Disney's marketing in 2006 and onwards. The popularity and prominence of High School Musical and Hannah Montana lead to things going for the worst. So Miley twerking in front Robin Thicke at the 2013 VMAs was sort of the perfect culmination of that. I see it in my little nieces and female cousins, all of whom are kids/young teens, they know more of the world than I did at that age, and thats not good. Kids are less innocent now, and the popularity of Hannah Montana is a contender in what lead to decline in childhood innocence.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/18 at 6:00 am

I also vaguely remember the incident. However, the pictures were a bit more raunchy than her back lol. Also, her computer was hacked and then the photos were released online. She wasn't the one who showed them. She was only 15 at the time they were leaked.

Just search "miley cyrus 2008 leaked photos" into Google Images.

just type Miley Cyrus nude instead.

Written By: christopher on 07/23/18 at 6:24 am

Well some 80s borns that are young at heart might be into twerking.

I was 21 to 25 in the early 2010s and yet me and my colleagues back then loved the radio hits like Gaga, Miley, Fun, Gotye. Heck, we even partied on Call me maybe and One Direction (we couldn't care less who was singing what, we just loved then-current music). Yet they say it was targeted to teens and tweens. Who cares? Maybe it's a European thing to NOT stop listening to pop hits once you become 20. I didn't follow pop hits in 2015-2017 but not because of age, I just didn't like what was popular.

I consider the early 2010s my teenage years 2.0, they were much better and fun actually than my true teens.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/23/18 at 9:04 am

I was just about to say this until I seen your post. Haha

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 07/23/18 at 9:39 am

That's pretty interesting. I don't know how it was like in the southern states, but I think the term "twerking" wasn't really that popular in the northeastern states until 2013. I don't remember a single person mentioning the word "twerking" before 2013.

Yep, the word got mainstream by 2013 in all parts of the U.S. Here in Tennessee people were using the word in 2012. I don’t remember hearing the word in 2010 & before.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/23/18 at 11:39 am

Like what mqg said it depends on what reigon of the US you live in. Me living in North Carolina for almost 11 years I hear the word on a couple of rap songs before it became a nationwide phenomenon in 2013. I know Ciara used the word in a couple of her songs. I know the word donk was pretty big in the South as well with Souja Boy She got a donk.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/23/18 at 12:59 pm

That and along with her still being on the show Hannah Montana at the time, with the show arguably at its peak in popularity certainly set a dangerous precedent to her image to young girls in the Late 2000s.

That is one of my major complaints with the company since 2006; how it created a falsified image to young kids back then of how 'mature' and 'grown' teenagers were, which inadvertently lead to the sort of sexualization of many young Disney stars. Its a legacy that I still see in kids today, many of them try to act 'older' than they are. They ask their folks for smartphones; they create social media accounts (which are very dangerous at a young age), ask to go to the mall with their friends, they have 'relationships' in elementary school, I could go on and on. Where do you think these kids get these ideas? Television.

It is not entirely the fault of Disney, but it shows how crazy and intense the amount of stress many young Disney stars face in trying to create this warped reality for kids to enjoy, which have led to many of the stars resorting to drug use and or other illicit activities. And when these same kids see many of their favorite stars like Miley, Demi, Ariana, etc. go in these more 'mature' directions, where do you think they're going to go?

I've said it before, and I'll repeat it, but something changed in Disney's marketing in 2006 and onwards. The popularity and prominence of High School Musical and Hannah Montana lead to things going for the worst. So Miley twerking in front Robin Thicke at the 2013 VMAs was the perfect culmination of that. I see it in my little nieces and female cousins, all of whom are kids/young teens. They know more about the world than I did at that age, and that's not good. Kids are less innocent now, and the popularity of Hannah Montana is a contender in what lead to the decline in childhood innocence.
And this is why Disney stars tend to have meltdowns considering they have to present a perfect image of themselves rather than be realistic to their audience. Luckily, there have been a few Disney stars that have avoided the plague, and that includes Hilary Duff, Zendaya, and the stars of Girl Meets World. They are excellent examples of a being good role models for others.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and I wanted to say something. While I appreciate the discussions we're having in this thread, we have been off-topic, unfortunately. I asked if the dance is more popular with Gen Z rather than Millennials and instead, it became about when "Twerking" became popular. ;D ;D ;D Getting back to the original discussion. To me, I've seen more Zeds twerk in general than Gen Y since it became mainstream thanks to songs such as Gas Pedal, Red Nose, Turn Down For What, Cat Daddy, Bring It Back and Twerk It.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/23/18 at 2:16 pm

And this is why Disney stars tend to have meltdowns considering they have to present a perfect image of themselves rather than be realistic to their audience. Luckily, there have been a few Disney stars that have avoided the plague, and that includes Hilary Duff, Zendaya, and the stars of Girl Meets World. They are excellent examples of a being good role models for others.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and I wanted to say something. While I appreciate the discussions we're having in this thread, we have been off-topic, unfortunately. I asked if the dance is more popular with Gen Z rather than Millennials and instead, it became about when "Twerking" became popular. ;D ;D ;D Getting back to the original discussion. To me, I've seen more Zeds twerk in general than Gen Y since it became mainstream thanks to songs such as Gas Pedal, Red Nose, Turn Down For What, Cat Daddy, Bring It Back and Twerk It.

I remember us talking about the Disney stars on the live stream and how a lot of them had so many boundaries and restrictions set that really stressed them out. All of them had to be in shape a certain way, wear makeup a certain way, act a certain way, be part of the same cheesy "how high school is supposed to be" plots as a bad influences, all of them had to be singers on the professional level, etc. Which is why a lot of them turned out bad or went on drugs. With the Nickelodeon stars they were able to stay very natural with their acting skills and everything else they did, even if it was challenging at times. Miranda Cosgrove or Jennette McCurdy would have never been picked up by Disney in a heartbeat, and that's good because they were able to do whatever they want on iCarly and stay natural to their acting, while making the show still humorous and fun at the same time. BTW ZeldaFan you hit the nail in the coffin with that post, I brought up remnants of those facts about Disney stars before but you said it better than I ever could lol!  ;D

Written By: mwalker1996 on 07/23/18 at 2:24 pm

Back to topic, on twerking being a Gen Z thing. Most of people I see twerking are early 90s borns. I don't really see many gen z'ers twerking, maybe because most of them aren't old enough to be at the club yet. I know it was very big in the Black community in the south before it became nationwide.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/23/18 at 2:33 pm

I remember us talking about the Disney stars on the live stream and how a lot of them had so many boundaries and restrictions set that stressed them out. All of them had to be in shape a certain way, wear makeup a certain way, act a certain way, be part of the same cheesy "how high school is supposed to be" plots as bad influences, all of them had to be singers on the professional level, etc. That is why a lot of them turned out bad or went on drugs. With the Nickelodeon stars, they were able to stay very natural with their acting skills and everything else they did, even if it was challenging at times. Miranda Cosgrove or Jennette McCurdy would have never been picked up by Disney in a heartbeat, and that's good because they were able to do whatever they want on iCarly and stay natural to their actions while making the show still humorous and fun at the same time. BTW ZeldaFan you hit the nail in the coffin with that post, I brought up remnants of those facts about Disney stars before, but you said it better than I ever could lol!  ;D
Yeah, and that's why you never hear anything negative about Nick stars being out of control and getting in trouble (except for Ariana). They were able to stay true to themselves and not conform to a stereotype. Unfortunately, the downside to being a Nick star is that they haven't received any major roles beyond their shows for their talent. (except for Emma Roberts)

Back to topic, on twerking being a Gen Z thing. Most of the people I see twerking are early 90s borns. I don't see many gen Zers twerking, maybe because most of them aren't old enough to be at the club yet. I know it was tremendous in the Black community in the south before it became nationwide.
They don't have to be at a club to twerk. They can do that at home, school dances, parties, and other events. I saw some videos of teens twerking before, and they weren't at a club.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 07/23/18 at 6:32 pm

Back to topic, on twerking being a Gen Z thing. Most of people I see twerking are early 90s borns. I don't really see many gen z'ers twerking, maybe because most of them aren't old enough to be at the club yet. I know it was very big in the Black community in the south before it became nationwide.

It depends on where you go. By me, most of the clubs are dominated by 90s babies, and almost all of the females there twerk (especially when hardcore trap or Latin music is being played). So depending on your definition of Millennials/Gen Z, it would arguably by both a Millennial and Gen Z phenomenon (and by Gen Z, I’m referring to Early Z, if we were to start the Generation in the mid 90s, if not it’s a strictly Millennial phenomenon at least for now).

Anyways like I’ve said before, regardless if you want to call it ‘twerking’ or whatever, the dance has been common since the 90s. The term may have caught on later in the tri-state area, but girls were certainly shaking their a**’es at parties.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/24/18 at 5:22 pm

It depends on where you go. By me, 90s babies dominate most of the clubs, and almost all of the females twerk there (especially when they play hardcore trap or Latin music). So depending on your definition of Millennials/Gen Z, it would arguably by both a Millennial and Gen Z phenomenon (and by Gen Z, I’m referring to Early Z, if we were to start the Generation in the mid 90s, if not it’s a strictly Millennial phenomenon at least for now).

Anyways like I’ve said before, regardless if you want to call it ‘twerking’ or whatever, the dance has been standard since the 90s. The term may have caught on later in the tri-state area, but girls were undoubtedly shaking their a**’es at parties.
Agreed! Yeah, while 90s babies (and some 80s) dominate the clubs, the 00s folks reign supreme over parties, school dances, and the mainstream concerts.

Not quite. It seems booty-shaking and twerking are two different dance movies.

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_qea1xn5w/

Check for new replies or respond here...