inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Please help me. I have an obsession with the supposed "nostalgia glitch".

Written By: waffleboy_92 on 07/23/18 at 1:48 am

This has bothered me for years.  Basically it's that I think the general public won't ever be nostalgic for decades after the 90s, and that we're stuck on 90s nostalgia.  I know for a fact that in the 00s Retrojunk made an article about how the "90s were better than the 00s". IN 2006!!! Also,  90s nostalgia was already a thing in MySpace.  So here we are in 2018, where's the 00s nostalgia? And why do people still confuse the 00s and 10s? And why do radio stations skip the 00s in their taglines (80s 90s and today)? Is this a serious problem? I know it doesn't affect people in the long run, but it bothers me too much. I wish there was a way to shift societys thinking so we stop thinking the 00s and 10s are the same.  Maybe 2020 will change everything,  but we can only hope.  Or well be stuck in the "2000s" forever.

And I got a lot more to say about this too. In fact, does anyone have legitimate proof that we were nostalgic for the 90s in the 00s already? Not this forum since we already put too much emphasis on decades. But other more mainstream sites. Did people already say the 90s were the last good decade in the 00s?

Subject: Re: Please help me. I have an obsession with the supposed "nostalgia glitch".

Written By: wixness on 07/23/18 at 8:19 am

I think it may change, but I think there's several reasons why people still hate the 2000s:

- 9/11 - this has been one of America's most deadly terrorist events, killing I think 3000 people. I don't think Americans want that forgotten about too soon.
- Emo and pop punk - I think that the decade was more homophobic and transphobic in general and didn't like the edgy gender-bending look of that decade. I also have a feeling that religious fundamentalism (probably from the 80s) may have played a small part in this. This is mostly my opinion though.
- Prevalence of rock - I think it could have been motivated by something like 80s nostalgia, maybe the last decade when it and metal were still widely listened to and not considered "stale". This decade's probably had enough of rock music I think.- The politics of the 2000s and the 2010s are a bit too similar - terrorist attacks started becoming more and more commonplace even in developed countries, which were probably more domestic in nature up to the 90s I believe.

Mostly, I think the combination of the Y2K bug scare and 9/11 at the start of the decade, conflicts in Iran and Afghanistan that the US and UK decided to get on board with, and the recession from the late 2000s has given the 2000s a much worse reputation than it could have otherwise had. I sort of understand the way people felt about the 2000s but I honestly don't want it to be forgotten because I've fallen in love with its culture, fashion and music.

Subject: Re: Please help me. I have an obsession with the supposed "nostalgia glitch".

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/23/18 at 8:43 am

I sort of understand the way people felt about the 2000s but I honestly don't want it to be forgotten because I've fallen in love with its culture, fashion and music.

It won't be forgotten, dude. The 2000s will live on through those of us who'll constantly acknowledge it. It'd be more special then.

Written By: duenas8 on 07/28/18 at 1:54 am

I know that a lot of people has commented this, but I really think that the 2000’s and the 2010’s will be remember as an only one big decade as same as the 1900’s- 1910’s. Maybe the real 21st century will start in 2020

Written By: ofkx on 07/28/18 at 3:51 am

i know that yall are gonna jump me for this but tbh the 2000s and the 2010s are pretty similar compared to other decades 😶

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/28/18 at 11:31 am

i know that yall are gonna jump me for this but tbh the 2000s and the 2010s are pretty similar compared to other decades 😶

That's what will make them memorable. The 2000s and 2010s will be acknowledged as the super decade.

Written By: Balty Raven on 07/28/18 at 12:29 pm

I think it's just a 20-year span of nostalgia, much like other decades had with that kind of nostalgia. The 90s weren't really that acknowledged from the general public as nostalgic until at least the late 2000s/early 2010s. The 2000s are just starting to become nostalgic as people are starting to make revivals out of popular things from that decade (e.g. The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Samurai Jack, Jimmy Neutron , and Samurai Jack). The reason why people don't really acknowledge 2000s nostalgia that much because mainly Generation X/Generation Y is in control of the nostalgia market and they mainly acknowledge 2000s kids as part of Generation Z (as those born in 1995-2013 to a lot of people). Although I strongly disagree with them, this might be the norm until the early part of Generation Z (at least those born in 1995-2004) are out of high school and in the work force or college.

This pisses me off so much whenever people ignore the 2000s (at least 2004-2009, while 2000-2003 gets an excuse since it was "90s" to them) because of its horrific events. Although as someone who grew up as a child in that decade, I had a different experience with it compared to others. For some examples, I never really watched the news nor did I even pay attention to politics (except for the 2008 election). I was in my own little kiddy world where it was mainly computer games, cartoons, my best friends, the prevalence of VHS tapes and DVDs together, the Internet, my computers which I got from my dad and uncle and rock/pop music that was played on the radio often.

However, it was all different in the 2010s because the death of Steve Jobs and the mass shootings that keep happening made me miserable. Along with the fact that I was bullied in summer camp and got my first sense as being an Internet troll victim made it uncomfortable for me as a teenager in this decade. I even just loathed it when somebody mentioned autism in my face because of how it made me really anxious. What I also hated about the 2010s was that everything on social media can't shut up about politics and popular TV shows that I wouldn't watch. I even had a massive breakdown on my YouTube because of how its algorithm keeps recommending me crap that I won't watch.

If it wasn't for my sense of 2000s nostalgia, then I would probably be more miserable than I ever was and I would feel like that life is meaningless to me. It's what gives me hope for living of all things. Especially when people are growing more and more kind to the decade in a slowly progressive rate. While we are still living in this era of massive 90s nostalgia, I hope that at least anything up to 2007/2008 would be considered as nostalgic by the end of the decade. Then we may have a more positive outlook for nostalgia for the 2000s.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/28/18 at 1:21 pm

I think it's just a 20-year span of nostalgia, much like other decades had with that kind of nostalgia. The 90s weren't really that acknowledged from the general public as nostalgic until at least the late 2000s/early 2010s. The 2000s are just starting to become nostalgic as people are starting to make revivals out of popular things from that decade (e.g. The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Samurai Jack, Jimmy Neutron , and Samurai Jack). The reason why people don't really acknowledge 2000s nostalgia that much because mainly Generation X/Generation Y is in control of the nostalgia market and they mainly acknowledge 2000s kids as part of Generation Z (as those born in 1995-2013 to a lot of people). Although I strongly disagree with them, this might be the norm until the early part of Generation Z (at least those born in 1995-2004) are out of high school and in the work force or college.

This pisses me off so much whenever people ignore the 2000s (at least 2004-2009, while 2000-2003 gets an excuse since it was "90s" to them) because of its horrific events. Although as someone who grew up as a child in that decade, I had a different experience with it compared to others. For some examples, I never really watched the news nor did I even pay attention to politics (except for the 2008 election). I was in my own little kiddy world where it was mainly computer games, cartoons, my best friends, the prevalence of VHS tapes and DVDs together, the Internet, my computers which I got from my dad and uncle and rock/pop music that was played on the radio often.

However, it was all different in the 2010s because the death of Steve Jobs and the mass shootings that keep happening made me miserable. Along with the fact that I was bullied in summer camp and got my first sense as being an Internet troll victim made it uncomfortable for me as a teenager in this decade. I even just loathed it when somebody mentioned autism in my face because of how it made me really anxious. What I also hated about the 2010s was that everything on social media can't shut up about politics and popular TV shows that I wouldn't watch. I even had a massive breakdown on my YouTube because of how its algorithm keeps recommending me crap that I won't watch.

If it wasn't for my sense of 2000s nostalgia, then I would probably be more miserable than I ever was and I would feel like that life is meaningless to me. It's what gives me hope for living of all things. Especially when people are growing more and more kind to the decade in a slowly progressive rate. While we are still living in this era of massive 90s nostalgia, I hope that at least anything up to 2007/2008 would be considered as nostalgic by the end of the decade. Then we may have a more positive outlook for nostalgia for the 2000s.

I relate to this to the fullest. Life is complicated.

Written By: 2001 on 07/29/18 at 5:52 pm

You'll be proven wrong. Give it a few years.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/30/18 at 5:01 pm

You'll be proven wrong. Give it a few years.

I'm all for nostalgia but I think '10s culture has been a little too defined by '90s nostalgia.  I don't really want to see the '00s milked to the extent that the '90s were this decade.

Written By: SpyroKev on 07/30/18 at 5:32 pm

I'm all for nostalgia but I think '10s culture has been a little too defined by '90s nostalgia.  I don't really want to see the '00s milked to the extent that the '90s were this decade.

I don't, period. They're going to ruin it. Haha I want 2000s nostalgia to maintain the feeling of it being underground.

Written By: Looney Toon on 07/30/18 at 6:06 pm

I don't, period. They're going to ruin it. Haha I want 2000s nostalgia to maintain the feeling of it being underground.

2000s stuck forever in the underground......which instantly makes it better than 1990s nostalgia since it isn't splashed all over pop culture. Heck in the 2000s the 1980s nostalgia was also more underground-ish until the 2010s happened where for some reason people can't stop obsessing over the 1980s-1990s. Meanwhile I'm too busy watching 2002 Toonami videos on youtube as well as popular toy anime series like Beyblade and Digimon.  8)

Written By: mqg96 on 07/30/18 at 6:49 pm

I know for a fact that in the 00s Retrojunk made an article about how the "90s were better than the 00s". IN 2006!!! Also,  90s nostalgia was already a thing in MySpace.  So here we are in 2018, where's the 00s nostalgia? And why do people still confuse the 00s and 10s? And why do radio stations skip the 00s in their taglines (80s 90s and today)? Is this a serious problem? I know it doesn't affect people in the long run, but it bothers me too much. I wish there was a way to shift societys thinking so we stop thinking the 00s and 10s are the same.  Maybe 2020 will change everything,  but we can only hope.  Or well be stuck in the "2000s" forever.

This is coming from someone born in 1992! Well said, especially with what I have in BOLD this is all you need to know. NerdyGamer brought up the MySpace incident to me a few years ago which is how 90's nostalgia on the internet took off and it took off WAY TOO early which led to so much chaos. Don't tell me 90's nostalgia and 90's kids debates reached its peak in 2013 because it was already a huge thing well before then. Half of y'all weren't on internet forums or YouTube enough back in the late 2000's like some of us were.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/30/18 at 6:56 pm

I wish there was a way to shift societys thinking so we stop thinking the 00s and 10s are the same.  Maybe 2020 will change everything,  but we can only hope.  Or well be stuck in the "2000s" forever.

And I got a lot more to say about this too. In fact, does anyone have legitimate proof that we were nostalgic for the 90s in the 00s already? Not this forum since we already put too much emphasis on decades. But other more mainstream sites. Did people already say the 90s were the last good decade in the 00s?

Also, there's this series on CNN called "The 2000's", and the 4th episode was about the origin and rise of Google, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, iPod's, iPhone's, and social media in general. It was interesting, but we all know that type of technology that started forming throughout the 2000's has obviously peaked throughout the 2010's, which is another reason why people look at the 00's and 10's as the same or very similar. It was my favorite episode of the series so far, but I still want to see some more interesting episodes that explains the pop culture of music, video games, and more interesting TV as well (and NOT just reality shows).

Written By: Dundee on 08/02/18 at 6:04 pm

Are we in 2013 or so? Claims nostalgia will be stuck in the 90s are so ridiculous beyond relief  ;D ;D ;D. Early 2000s nostalgia is already getting huge this year and I've read articles of "2000s being better than the 2010s" too in this decade so it's just something that keeps repeating every decade.

Bye y'all, I will go listening to some Emo Rap and as well as putting this bop on:
Il-an3K9pjg

Written By: Dundee on 08/02/18 at 6:12 pm

Half of y'all weren't on internet forums or YouTube enough back in the late 2000's like some of us were.
I swear to god I went a lot on the internet starting 2009 and never noticed any 90s over-obsession until like 2013 or so

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/02/18 at 6:23 pm

This doesn't happen in my circles, nor do my local radio stations confuse hits from today with hits from the '00s. Most of the time there's a throwback session on my local radio station and about 85% are from the early 2000s with a bit of 90s thrown in there.

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/02/18 at 6:27 pm

I swear to god I went a lot on the internet starting 2009 and never noticed any 90s over-obsession until like 2013 or so

Me either. I've been on forums since 2004 . 90s kids made up the majority of the users on the forums so I was always the youngest. Of course they always talked about the 90s but while 90s nostalgia has always been there, it didn't become oversaturated until the early 2010s.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/02/18 at 6:28 pm

You got many different types of 90's discussions though. It's not just the 90's kids bragging about their decade and making nostalgia pages, but it's the 90's kids debates and them hating on the 2000's as well. The elitists, the ageists, etc. I consider all of it to be bad and really irritating. Maybe the 90's kids debates didn't peak until the early 2010's, but the bragging about the 90's and the 90's nostalgia pages were already getting started by the late 2000's and those were just as annoying TBH. There were YouTube ranters from 2009 who were talking about how great the 90's were then and saying how bad the 2000's sucked. Early 90's or mid 90's, all of it is still the 90's.

Here's another thing, they usually say you have to be at least 13 years old in order to join most internet forums, social media and communities including YouTube. 1995 born's turned 13 in 2008 while 1996 born's turned 13 in 2009, so there wasn't really enough core 2000's kids on the internet yet for there to be a lot of 90's kid debates, but the bragging about how the 90's were better than the 2000's, the 2000's hate, and the nostalgia for the 90's was already there. Back in the late 2000's the hate was real, trust me. The backlash Bush got at the time and the recession, oh boy, it wasn't pretty. By the early 2010's, a lot of the core 2000's kids were old enough to talk and debate with people on the internet, so to a lot of 2000's kids who were just joining internet forums and social media the 90's kids debates may have peaked in the early 2010's.

Written By: Dundee on 08/02/18 at 6:39 pm

Here's another thing, they usually say you have to be at least 13 years old in order to join most internet forums, social media and communities including YouTube. 1995 born's turned 13 in 2008 while 1996 born's turned 13 in 2009, so there wasn't really enough core 2000's kids on the internet yet for there to be a lot of 90's kid debates, but the bragging about how the 90's were better than the 2000's, the 2000's hate, and the nostalgia for the 90's was already there. Back in the late 2000's the hate was real, trust me. The backlash Bush got at the time and the recession, oh boy, it wasn't pretty. By the early 2010's, a lot of the core 2000's kids were old enough to talk and debate with people on the internet, so to a lot of 2000's kids who were just joining internet forums and social media the 90's kids debates may have peaked in the early 2010's.

Wow so? A lot of people nowadays on boards also brag how the 2010s suck and their childhoods/the 2000s were better. It's just shifting demographics, it makes perfect sense. Reading Google Groups, people also bitched a lot on the 90s when it was going on. You just have to accept bitching about the current is what people on boards love to do and have always loved to do.

And tbh IRL I honestly never saw one giving a care about the 90s growing up in the 2000s, while I definitely saw lots of attention for the 70s and 80s.
And to be very, very honest, I feel like mainstream-wise there is more 2000s nostalgia in the 2010s than there was 90s in the 2000s, with entire songs and music genres dedicated to noughties stuff, and a huge ton of movies and series sequels and revivals.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/03/18 at 8:30 pm

2000s nostalgia is definitely kicking, it's just not as obnoxious as 90s nostalgia because it hasn't been a full 20 years and the 2000s backlash was so strong this decade 2000s kids won't be as entitled as 90s kids were.

Check for new replies or respond here...