inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Would you spend a week in the 1960s?

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/23/18 at 9:28 am

Inspired by the other thread.
I would, any part of the decade, with ease.

Subject: Re: Would you spend a week in the 1960s?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/23/18 at 9:57 am

I already did.  :)

Written By: Dundee on 07/23/18 at 11:07 am

Certainly not :p

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/18 at 12:23 pm

I already did.  :)

Me, too. In fact I spent more than a week.

Cat

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/23/18 at 1:21 pm

Me, too. In fact I spent more than a week.

Cat

Yeah, I spent a couple of decades in the 60s myself.    ;D    8)

Written By: deloresthegreat on 07/23/18 at 3:16 pm

Depends on what particular point in the 60s.  I'm female and African American, so while things may have been looking up for me near the end of the decade, they certainly weren't in the beginning.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/18 at 3:48 pm

Yeah, I spent a couple of decades in the 60s myself.    ;D    8)

You know what they say, "If you remember the 60s, you weren't there."  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 07/23/18 at 6:32 pm

Yes, but I would only be interested in experiencing the second-half (1965-1969) of the '60s.

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/23/18 at 6:37 pm

My preference would be 60-64:
JFK, Doo Wop, Soul, tail fins, Girl Pop, '64 World's Fair, Twilight Zone, Bonanza, Jetsons.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/23/18 at 7:58 pm

JFK, Doo Wop, Soul, tail fins, Girl Pop, '64 World's Fair, Twilight Zone, Bonanza, Jetsons.

Nah. The latter 60s were groovier by far. Feed your head, man.    8)

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/23/18 at 8:24 pm

THIS^

I would also add The Flintstones, surf rock and the Jet Age.

Additionally, as long I am living in NYC or LA, then I would spend a week in the '60s. If it was anywhere else, then...NO.

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/23/18 at 8:25 pm

The drug and hippie stuff isn't my style. I dig the Stones, Zep, The Doors, and whatnot but early 60s culture just seems more my speed. More Disneyland than Woodstock. I'm more of a greaser or a rockabilly person or even a mod than a rocker, and by the late 60s for me rock and its fans got a little too druggy and a little grungy. If it was '68 I'd have short hair, be wearing slacks and loafers, be writing in a vote for LBJ, and listening to The Beach Boys and Beggar's Banquet

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/23/18 at 8:34 pm

THIS^

Additionally, as long I am living in NYC or LA, then I would spend a week in the '60s. If it was anywhere else, then...NO.

Yes, surf rock, early Motown, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding...and you'd be able to buy Muddy Waters, Jimmy Reed, Count Bassie...For me the late 60s is one disturbing, drug drenched, just miserable period for everyone, white, brown, and black, young and old, and the music and pop culture was so dark, dirty and druggy. I prefer The clean cut 64 Beatles to the wooly guys in their 69 photoshoot. If you were young in '68 your ass was getting shipped off to Nam or watching your friends die over there, if you were older you were seeing leaders being killed left and right like we were some banana republic and were probably distressed greatly about the future. Why anyone would want to relive 65-69, save for perhaps the Moon Landing, is beyond me.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/23/18 at 8:54 pm

Why anyone would want to relive 65-69, save for perhaps the Moon Landing, is beyond me.

You had to be there. In the midst of, or perhaps because of, all the turmoil and the horror that was Vietnam there was an incredible idealism among some. A hippie hopefulness, that alas, did not come true in the end. With hindsight I think that maybe it was doomed from the start. But for a few shining moments there it seemed like everything was new and absolutely anything was possible. There's a Jefferson Airplane lyric that sums it up quite nicely, "we're doing things that haven't got a name yet".

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 07/23/18 at 10:10 pm

You had to be there. In the midst of, or perhaps because of, all the turmoil and the horror that was Vietnam there was an incredible idealism among some. A hippie hopefulness, that alas, did not come true in the end. With hindsight I think that maybe it was doomed from the start. But for a few shining moments there it seemed like everything was new and absolutely anything was possible. There's a Jefferson Airplane lyric that sums it up quite nicely, "we're doing things that haven't got a name yet".

With the exception of the Apollo missions and the craziness that was 1968 , the late '60s don't interest me.

I don't like the whole hippie thing, psychedelic music nor the whole earth tones and earthy fashion of the time period.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/23/18 at 10:14 pm

Yes - as I experienced the vast majority of the decade - but TBH I'm not sure I'd be prepared for everything I'd be going back to.  As an example, in 1963 my parents and grandparents together purchased a large farmhouse with some land in rural Michigan.  Well, this house had no heating system, no indoor plumbing or running water, old windows without screens, and no laundry.  My Dad busted his buns adding all of the above (except laundry).  Plus it had no air conditioning, poor TV/radio reception, water only available from a shallow well, and "party line" telephone service (or as I recall, at first there was no telephone service).  But these things were not that unusual at the time.

Despite all this, I'd welcome a chance to return to the simpler time of the 60's.  One of the things I miss most is, until the late 60's, people were much more trusting of the other people we encountered - we didn't eye every stranger as someone potentially out to rip us off.  That's a sad feeling - brought on in part by people who ripped us off when we weren't expecting it.  We may never get back to that innocent feeling...

The late 60's were a unique time - nothing like it, before or since.  I don't know whether I'd like to go there again - but I'm glad I went through it (as an elementary school kid, which was probably ideal).

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 07/23/18 at 10:36 pm

With the exception of the Apollo missions and the craziness that was 1968 , the late '60s don't interest me.

I don't like the whole hippie thing, psychedelic music nor the whole earth tones and earthy fashion of the time period.

Earth tones were more an early 70s thing.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/18 at 8:12 am

THIS^

and don't forget Motown too.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/18 at 8:13 am

I probably would want to visit the time when My Parents got married in 1969.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/24/18 at 10:06 am

I totally would. As corny as this may sound, if I could go back to say, 1965-66, I'd love to attend a Nebraska football game during the Bob Devaney era.

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/24/18 at 11:26 am

I would love to visit a small family farm in Kansas or so in the early 60s. Screw a gorgeous farm girl :o

Also, head to Brooklyn and see my dad and mom as kids, and my grandparents as young people. I would go to '62. Dad and Mom would be 8, and my grandparents would be 42, 35, 33 and 29.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/18 at 2:24 pm

I would also like to visit Woodstock, now that would be cool. :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/24/18 at 4:00 pm

Far out, man. I can dig it.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...