inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Albums and songs that defined your childhood

Written By: 90s Guy on 07/29/18 at 7:46 am

What are albums and songs that defined your childhood?

Early childhood (0-6):
Labyrinth Soundtrack (got for 4th birthday)

Bohemian Rhapsody (I was obsessed with Wayne's World starting at age 3 and loved the song)

Loser by Beck - I loved the chorus to this and my sister had me memorize it by April 94

Beat it by MJ - After seeing and hearing this on a clip of the Chipmunks in '94 I became hooked on this one.

This is Halloween - obsessed with this after seeing Nightmare Before Christmas in '94

No Need to Argue - The Cranberries (my dad had this album in 95/96 and he and I would constantly listen to Zombie together)

American Beauty - Grateful Dead - always was playing 94-96

Touch of Grey - Grateful Dead - always was playing and my dad named his car he bought in 95 after this song

Rock N' Rock Hootchie Koo - Never heard the studio version as a kid but when driving my dad would sing the chorus while driving, tapping on the steering wheel

'66 Batman Theme - Again, never heard the studio cut at the same but when Dad would make a sharp U-Turn he'd hum and sing dadadadada Batman

Middle Childhood (7-10)
Paint It Black - my first real exposure to rock, saw it in 98 on a TV showing of the Devil's Advocate and become obsessed with the Stones. Got their compilation Through the Past Darkly for my 8th birthday in 1998

All The Small Things - Blink 182 - this song was EVERYWHERE on the radio in 99 and 00.

It Wasn't Me - Another song you couldn't escape on the trip in 00.

Who Let the Dogs Out

Late Childhood (10-12)

Battle of Evermore by Led Zeppelin - as LOTR came closer to release as introduced to this song and became obsessed with Zeppelin

My Way by Limp Bizkit - Couldn't be escaped in the summer of 2001 and I loved it

14 Years by Guns N' Roses - I fell in love with GNR in the spring of 2002 and this song in particular got played over and over

Subject: Re: Albums and songs that defined your childhood

Written By: violet_shy on 07/29/18 at 12:47 pm

I made a compilation playlist of songs that I grew up listening to or watched on VH1 and MTV. Starts with 80s hits and then 90s hits.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/my-generation-the-80s-90s-my-life-in-music/pl.u-kv9l2BmF7GVpYGo

Written By: meesa on 07/29/18 at 1:10 pm

LWGxYlQudOA

Don't even remember when I first heard it, but I was quite young. The words were very impactful to me as I grew older, but the song is definitely what started to define my philosophy on life.

Written By: annimal on 07/29/18 at 1:22 pm

Bohemian Rhapsody    sometimes I wish I'd never been born at all.  The way my mom yelled at me you'd think I did kill a man or something terrible.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 05/15/20 at 9:46 am

The Muppets Theme song
Iron Man by Black Sabbath
Anything by Air Supply
Lawrence Welk

Check for new replies or respond here...