inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why I don't think we should have "cusps" in generations

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/01/18 at 5:15 pm

Before I start this post off, I just want to say that this whole entire post is entirely my opinion. If you have a different opinion, that's fine. At the end of the day, generations are just labels and a couple year difference is almost never big.

This thread is not to debate about the starting and ending points for generations. This thread is just what I think of the term "cusp" used in topics about generations, and why I personally believe it shouldn't be relevant.

Now, if you've been discussing generations for a while now, you've most likely heard of "cusps". If you haven't heard already, when people use the term "cusps" in generation topics, it means that people feel like they are "in between" generations. For example, someone born in say, 1998, might feel they are in-between Y and Z. In other words, they feel like they are both generations.

However, I also feel like the "cusp" label has gotten too far and has made topics about generations a lot more arbitrary than they already are.

When you read articles about certain generations, whether it be about Baby Boomers, Gen X, Gen Y, or Gen Z, or pretty much any other existing generation, you are not going to find a lot of "cusps" or a "cusp" range because researchers and sociologists don't use cusps when it comes to defining generations, mainly because it's not a professional term to use.

Also, there will never be a clear cut definition for "cuspers" in generations because, in actual reality, they aren't really a thing in the first place. At least there is mostly a clear-cut definition for Baby Boomers that doesn't really involve generation cusps. Gen X, Gen Y, and especially Gen Z don't have a clear-cut definition yet, so to try and add "cuspers" into the range will only make the topic more confusing and arbitrary than it already is.

And technically speaking, you can't really be "in between" generations. It just doesn't make sense IMO. Yeah, you might "feel" you are in between generations but do most people your age feel the same way? And even if they did, they would most likely relate to one generation slightly more than the other. That's the thing. You can have someone born in say 1999 feel like they are the tail-end of Y, and someone born in that same year feeling like they belong more with early Z. It goes on and on.

Maybe I think this way because I've personally never been labeled as a "cusp" in generation topics and nor have I ever felt like I was a "cusp", but one thing I have noticed is that the term "cusps" in generation topics just drifts the discussion into even more arbitrary cutoffs and heated debates. Again, at the end of the day, it is just a label and nothing else.

What are your thoughts on this?

Subject: Re: Why I don't think we should have "cusps" in generations

Written By: graciee on 08/01/18 at 6:18 pm

I think that you should be your own person no matter what generation you are. :)

Written By: piecesof93 on 08/01/18 at 6:35 pm

I thought if you were cusp you could pretty much pick which generation you lean more towards.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 08/01/18 at 6:37 pm

Here's what we should all agree upon;

1940-1949 = Greatest Generation (Beatles, Beach Boys, Stones, Who, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Purple, Aerosmith, Skynyrd, Queen, etc.)

1950-1964 = Generation Jones

1965-1980 = Generation X

1981 - July 1989 = Brony Generation

August 1989 = Sexiest Generation (Jessica Nigri)

September 1989 - August 1993 = Core Millennials

September 1993 - August 1999 = Coolest Generation (NerdyGamer, MissAl, Star Struck, mqg96, ZeldaFan20, mwalker96, Shruggie, phoenix, me, TheUser98, SharksFan99, Black Panther, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Travis)

September 1999 + = Generation Z

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 08/01/18 at 6:38 pm

Eric would definitely agree with you on this. He absolutely hated the word "cusps", I remember him saying he thought it was an insult in comparison to generations.

I always thought "cusp" and "hybrid" were the same term but most people treat it like 2 completely different words. If we say "hybrid" then people are okay with it but when people say "cusps" then people get more offended.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/01/18 at 6:42 pm

Also Rainbowz, you were born in 2002, making you clear cut Gen Z, unlike me born in 1996 where we're the tail end of millennial/Gen Y or the beginning of Gen Z according to a lot of sources who make articles about us. The "cusp" or "hybrid" thing is more of an issue for mid 60's born's, early 80's born's, and mid 90's born's. Those who are the tail end of Boomer or early Gen X, those who are the tail end of Gen X or early Gen Y, and those who are the tail end of Gen Y or early Gen Z. If you're not born in the mid 60's, early 80's, or mid 90's, you usually don't have to go through this. Real talk, and I'm not debating here, I'm going by what articles, interviews, and documentaries have usually labeled all generations combined.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/01/18 at 6:56 pm

1950-1964 is WAY too broad a time period for so-called "Generation Jones". It would actually be 1956-7 to 1964 at most.  And truthfully, the so-called "Generation Jones", a term made up by author Jonathan Pontell in recent years,  is really nothing but a term for those born on the cusp of Baby Boomers and Generation X.  So there we go again. We can give these things a name but it's still a cusp.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/01/18 at 6:59 pm

1940-1949 = Greatest Generation (Beatles, Beach Boys, Stones, Who, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Purple, Aerosmith, Skynyrd, Queen, etc.)

1965-1980 = Generation X

1981 - July 1989 = Brony Generation

August 1989 = Sexiest Generation (Jessica Nigri)

September 1989 - August 1993 = Core Millennials

September 1993 - August 1999 = Coolest Generation (NerdyGamer, MissAl, Star Struck, mqg96, ZeldaFan20, mwalker96, Shruggie, phoenix, me, TheUser98, SharksFan99, Black Panther, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Travis)

September 1999 + = Generation Z

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You have no sources to back this up. It's all 100% wrong, sorry.  ;D ;D ;D

You're just an old white man, you ain't "cool"

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 08/01/18 at 7:03 pm

1950-1964 is WAY too broad a time period for so-called "Generation Jones". It would actually be 1956-7 to 1964 at most.  And truthfully, the so-called "Generation Jones", a term made up by author Jonathan Pontell in recent years,  is really nothing but a term for those born on the cusp of Baby Boomers and Generation X.  So there we go again. We can give these things a name but it's still a cusp.

My list is an inside joke between me and Rainbowz.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/01/18 at 7:04 pm

Also Rainbowz, you were born in 2002, making you clear cut Gen Z, unlike me born in 1996 where we're the tail end of millennial/Gen Y or the beginning of Gen Z according to a lot of sources who make articles about us. The "cusp" or "hybrid" thing is more of an issue for mid 60's born's, early 80's born's, and mid 90's born's. Those who are the tail end of Boomer or early Gen X, those who are the tail end of Gen X or early Gen Y, and those who are the tail end of Gen Y or early Gen Z. If you're not born in the mid 60's, early 80's, or mid 90's, you usually don't have to go through this. Real talk, and I'm not debating here, I'm going by what articles, interviews, and documentaries have usually labeled all generations combined.

Oh yeah, I get that 1996 borns might feel stuck because a good amount of sources say they're Gen Y or Gen Z. Honestly, IMO I feel like the term "cusp" makes things a lot more confusing. But at the end of the day, it's just a label.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/01/18 at 7:13 pm

I can understand the argument of a lot of sources considering a certain birth year this generation and that. It's just that to me, I don't really think it's possible to be "in-between" generations, because if you're "in-between" generations, are you even in a generation?
https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7buirYcmV5nSwIRW/200.gif

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/01/18 at 8:04 pm

I thought if you were cusp you could pretty much pick which generation you lean more towards.

A lot of people use that term to mean "in-between", and that's what is confusing.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/01/18 at 8:52 pm

My list is an inside joke between me and Rainbowz.

I figured as much, but my comment is still valid. The thing is, there will always be "cusps" (a creepy sounding word, I know) because no era is cut and dried. There is always some overlap or transition. And if one is born on a "cusp" they may or may not have all of the characteristics or experiences that may define a generation. Even if those generation definitions are a bit arbitrary in the first place. So it depends on how one feels, as to how they define themselves (IF they even want to "define" themselves), what parts they relate to. Some of the so called "Generation Jones" clearly feel they are Boomers and some very much feel they are Generation X. And some feel they are the vaguer inbetween generation which has some of its own characteristics. It's an inexact science.

Written By: Looney Toon on 08/01/18 at 9:01 pm

The trick to a happier life is realizing that generations are stupid and that you don't need to be part of some group. I certainly never cared to get involved with people just because they have the same label that I've been given arbitrarily. Don't know why people allowed for "generations" to be a big part of current pop culture now when it comes to identifying themselves. Was it always like this? About 10-15 years ago it seemed like barely anyone know each generation was given a name. Heck most people didn't even have a real understanding of what a "generation" even was or the year spans that make up one (although I blame this on the fact that the year spans don't make sense half the time due to lack of decent reasoning behind them) which just brings confusion for things that don't really have solid answers to begin with.

Written By: mqg96 on 08/01/18 at 9:06 pm

The trick to a happier life is realizing that generations are stupid and that you don't need to be part of some group. I certainly never cared to get involved with people just because they have the same label that I've been given arbitrarily. Don't know why people allowed for "generations" to be a big part of current pop culture now when it comes to identifying themselves. Was it always like this? About 10-15 years ago it seemed like barely anyone know each generation was given a name. Heck most people didn't even have a real understanding of what a "generation" even was or the year spans that make up one (although I blame this on the fact that the year spans don't make sense half the time due to lack of decent reasoning behind them) which just brings confusion for things that don't really have solid answers to begin with.

Generation X was already known and talked about by the 80's and 90's. The "Gen X" term was featured in magazines, newspapers and printed articles back then but it was never a thing when it came to internet culture yet. Also, people didn't have time to analyze generations back then as they are doing now because once again social media as really changed that. That's why it wasn't noticeable to us because we didn't think about those labels as kids.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/01/18 at 9:18 pm

Oh yeah, I get that 1996 borns might feel stuck because a good amount of sources say they're Gen Y or Gen Z. Honestly, IMO I feel like the term "cusp" makes things a lot more confusing. But at the end of the day, it's just a label.

Rainbowz, the reason why 'cusps' exist is essentially because of what I have in bold. As of August 1st 2018 this is what both Millennials and Gen Z articles list about on birth dates:

Millennials

Date and age range definitions

The neutrality of this section is disputed. Relevant discussion may be found on the talk page. Please do not remove this message until conditions to do so are met. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A minority of demographers and researchers start the generation in the mid-to-late 1970s, such as MetLife which uses birth dates ranging 1977–1994, and Nielsen Media Research which uses the earliest dates from 1977 and the latest dates 1995 or 1996.

The majority of researchers and demographers start the generation in the early 1980s, with some ending the generation in the mid-1990s. Australia's McCrindle Research uses 1980–1994 as Generation Y birth years. A 2013 PricewaterhouseCoopers report used 1980 to 1995. Gallup Inc., and MSW Research use 1980–1996. Ernst and Young uses 1981–1996.

A 2018 report from Pew Research Center defines Millennials as born from 1981-1996, choosing these dates for "key political, economic and social factors", including September 11th terrorist attacks. This range makes Millennials 5-20 years old at the time of the attacks so "old enough to comprehend the historical significance." Pew indicated they'd use 1981-1996 for future publications but would remain open to date recalibration.

Some end the generation in the late 1990s or early 2000s. Goldman Sachs, Resolution Foundation, and a 2013 Time magazine cover story all use 1980–2000. SYZYGY, a digital service agency partially owned by WPP, uses 1981–1998,. The Asia Business Unit of Corporate Directions, Inc describes Millennials as born between 1981-2000, The United States Chamber of Commerce uses 1980-1999 and United States Census Bureau uses 1982–2000. The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary describes Millennials as those born roughly between the 1980s and 1990s.

Demographers William Straus and Neil Howe who are widely credited with coining the term, define Millennials as born between 1982–2004. However, Howe described the dividing line between millennials and the following Generation Z as "tentative", saying "you can’t be sure where history will someday draw a cohort dividing line until a generation fully comes of age". He noted that the millennials' range beginning in 1982 would point to the next generation's window starting between 2000 and 2006.

In his 2008 book The Lucky Few: Between the Greatest Generation and the Baby Boom, author Elwood Carlson defined this cohort as born between 1983–2001, based on the upswing in births after 1983 and finishing with the "political and social challenges" that occurred after the September 11 terrorist acts. In 2016, U.S Pirg described millennials as those born between 1983 and 2000. On the American television program Survivor, for their 33rd season, subtitled Millennials vs. Gen X, the "Millennial tribe" consisted of individuals born between 1984 and 1997.

Due to birth-year overlap between definitions of Generation X and millennials, and the tentative nature of generations, some individuals born in the late 1970s and early 1980s see themselves as being "between" the two generations. Names given to those born in the Generation X and Millennial cusp years include Xennials, Generation Catalano, and the Oregon Trail Generation.

Generation Z

Date and age range definition

Statistics Canada defines Generation Z as starting with the birth year 1993. Statistics Canada does not recognize a traditional Millennials cohort and instead has Generation Z directly follow what it designates as Children of Baby boomers (born 1970–1992).

Randstad Canada describes Generation Z as those born between 1995–2014. Australia's McCrindle Research Centre defines Generation Z as those born between 1995–2009, starting with a recorded rise in birth rates, and fitting their newer definition of a generational span with a maximum of 15 years. A 2014 report from Sparks and Honey describes Generation Z as those born in 1995 or later. In Japan, generations are defined by a ten-year span with "Neo-Digital natives" beginning after 1996.

A 2018 report from Pew Research Center defines "Post-Millennials" as born from 1997 onward, choosing this date for "key political, economic and social factors", including September 11th terrorist attacks. This date makes Post-Millennials 4 years of age or younger at the time of the attacks, so having little or no memory of the event. Pew indicated they'd use 1997 for future publications but would remain open to date recalibration. An earlier 2014 publication from Pew Research included the year 2000 as start year for the cohort, as part of an interview with Paul Taylor, author of The Next America: Boomers, Millennials, and the Looming Generational Showdown.

The Futures Company, marketing agency Frank N. Magid Associates, and The Shand Group use 1997 as the first year of birth for this cohort. A 2016 report from multinational banking firm Goldman Sachs describes Generation Z as those born after 1998.

MTV described Generation Z as those born after December 2000, for a survey conducted by the network regarding possible names for the cohort. The American Marketing Association describes Generation Z as those born after September 11, 2001, suggesting the cohort should be dubbed Gen 9/11 arguing "all children born after Sept. 11, 2001, will experience a world totally different from all generations that preceded it". The Asia Business Unit of Corporate Directions, Inc describes Gen Z as born between 2001-2015, and Philippine Retailers Association describes Generation Z as born after 2001.

Author Neil Howe defines the cohort as people born from approximately 2005–2025, but describes the dividing line between Generation Z and Millennials as "tentative" saying, "you can’t be sure where history will someday draw a cohort dividing line until a generation fully comes of age". Howe says that the Millennials' range beginning in 1982 points to the next generation's window starting between 2000 and 2006.

And thats just relating between Millennials & Generation Z. Now I generally agree with you, in a perfect world I rather just have a generally accepted consensus on when each generation begins or ends. But for generations after Baby Boomers, it really isn't that clear cut. Mainly because, unlike the Boomers that were a generation that was known for its cultural influence and its objective (key word) demographic span (its undisputed that the Post WWII Boom ended in 1964), generations X, Millennials, & Z (whatever they end up calling you guys) are known solely for cultural reasons, therefor is a bit subjective and is left to ones own interpretation. On top of that, even if one were to come up with a logical/concise system for generations; lets use Pew's as an example which places Xers as those born from 1965 through 1980, Millennials from 1981 through 1996, & Gen Z as 1997 through 2012, hard cutoffs only tell half the story. Someone born in 1980 is not dramatically different from someone born in 1981 because one is technically a late Xer and the other is technically a early Yer. Same could be said with 1996 & 1997 borns, regardless if you think 96' & 97' borns are in a two separate generations or are in the same generation (be it Y or Z), I as someone born in 1996 will always see someone born in 1997 as apart of my generation, because its a measly 1 year difference.

Thus, it comes to a point where IMO, I do think that cusps could actually work out and be expressed in a civic manner. Me and MQG are the same exact age (only a month between us) and yet I feel like a Millennial through & through (for better and worst ;D), while he feels more torn & a bit of both Y & Z, so neither one of us is necessarily right or wrong in that aspect. Objectively, when looking at where marketers and demographers place us, we are technically both Millennial & Z, thats a fact . So because of that reality, and the wide range of subjectivity people my age have regarding their generational identity, is why cusps do in fact exist. One could claim that some years lean more to one generation than the other, and I generally agree with that.

Its different for everybody, but for me from who I interact with on a daily basis and my personal friends I think those born in 1997 & before harbor many Millennial characteristics/traits and may exhibit those stereotypes. 1998ers, are like the first year that comes to mind where you start to see a significant amount of Gen Z traits from the friends I have that year, but I'd still say they lean more Millennial overall. 1999ers are like the ultimate threshold between the two generations, and after that..... I honestly don't really know that much. All I can say from the few teens I do know of born after 1999 (mainly from my job ;D), they seem to act stereotypically  Gen Z.....? Idk. Thats another thing, I never attended school with kids born in the 2000s, so my understanding of their tastes in music, fashion, political beliefs, etc. is a bit limited. But from the few interactions I had, I could confidently say that 2000 borns seem the first to exhibit more of the stereotypical 'Z' traits than the Millennial traits.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion, based on my personal experience, so take it with a grain of salt. But just by going over this it goes to show that the line is more gradual than abrupt.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/01/18 at 9:23 pm

The first generation to be given a name as such was my Baby Boom generation. And it was given a name because it was a specifically quantifiable thing. It could be defined. It was a boom of babies born essentially between 1946-1964 (a little leeway with 1946, some Boomers could have been born a bit earlier, but 1964 is the absolute cutoff.) It was measurable. But it didn't really become a "thing" with people identifying themselves as "Baby Boomers" (or more likely, being identified that way by others, such as marketers) until the 80s. And specifically because at that point there was another noticeable generation ("Generation X") that came after the Boomers.

You may also say, "but the generations that came before the Boomers have names". Those names are all recent concoctions. "The Greatest Generation" for example, was coined by Tom Brokaw in 1998 for a book he wrote. The Boomers were the first to be named and then people started coming up with all kinds of other names for generations that came before and after.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/01/18 at 9:43 pm

The first generation to be given a name as such was my Baby Boom generation. And it was given a name because it was a specifically quantifiable thing. It could be defined. It was a boom of babies born essentially between 1946-1964 (a little leeway with 1946, some Boomers could have been born a bit earlier, but 1964 is the absolute cutoff.) It was measurable. But it didn't really become a "thing" with people identifying themselves as "Baby Boomers" (or more likely, being identified that way by others, such as marketers) until the 80s. And specifically because at that point there was another noticeable generation ("Generation X") that came after the Boomers.

You may also say, "but the generations that came before the Boomers have names". Those names are all recent concoctions. "The Greatest Generation" for example, was coined by Tom Brokaw in 1998 for a book he wrote. The Boomers were the first to be named and then people started coming up with all kinds of other names for generations that came before and after.

Doesn't the Greatest Generation span for like 27 years (1901-1927)?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/01/18 at 10:07 pm

Doesn't the Greatest Generation span for like 27 years (1901-1927)?

It may well have, but it didn't have a name that stuck until Tom Brokaw came up with one in 1998 and he came up with it long after Boomers were called Boomers. The Boomer generation was the first to be named and quantified. People weren't really paying a lot of attention to that kind of thing before the Boomer generation became such an identifiable thing.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/01/18 at 10:23 pm

Rainbowz, the reason why 'cusps' exist is essentially because of what I have in bold. As of August 1st 2018 this is what both Millennials and Gen Z articles list about on birth dates:

Millennials

Date and age range definitions

The neutrality of this section is disputed. Relevant discussion may be found on the talk page. Please do not remove this message until conditions to do so are met. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A minority of demographers and researchers start the generation in the mid-to-late 1970s, such as MetLife which uses birth dates ranging 1977–1994, and Nielsen Media Research which uses the earliest dates from 1977 and the latest dates 1995 or 1996.

The majority of researchers and demographers start the generation in the early 1980s, with some ending the generation in the mid-1990s. Australia's McCrindle Research uses 1980–1994 as Generation Y birth years. A 2013 PricewaterhouseCoopers report used 1980 to 1995. Gallup Inc., and MSW Research use 1980–1996. Ernst and Young uses 1981–1996.

A 2018 report from Pew Research Center defines Millennials as born from 1981-1996, choosing these dates for "key political, economic and social factors", including September 11th terrorist attacks. This range makes Millennials 5-20 years old at the time of the attacks so "old enough to comprehend the historical significance." Pew indicated they'd use 1981-1996 for future publications but would remain open to date recalibration.

Some end the generation in the late 1990s or early 2000s. Goldman Sachs, Resolution Foundation, and a 2013 Time magazine cover story all use 1980–2000. SYZYGY, a digital service agency partially owned by WPP, uses 1981–1998,. The Asia Business Unit of Corporate Directions, Inc describes Millennials as born between 1981-2000, The United States Chamber of Commerce uses 1980-1999 and United States Census Bureau uses 1982–2000. The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary describes Millennials as those born roughly between the 1980s and 1990s.

Demographers William Straus and Neil Howe who are widely credited with coining the term, define Millennials as born between 1982–2004. However, Howe described the dividing line between millennials and the following Generation Z as "tentative", saying "you can’t be sure where history will someday draw a cohort dividing line until a generation fully comes of age". He noted that the millennials' range beginning in 1982 would point to the next generation's window starting between 2000 and 2006.

In his 2008 book The Lucky Few: Between the Greatest Generation and the Baby Boom, author Elwood Carlson defined this cohort as born between 1983–2001, based on the upswing in births after 1983 and finishing with the "political and social challenges" that occurred after the September 11 terrorist acts. In 2016, U.S Pirg described millennials as those born between 1983 and 2000. On the American television program Survivor, for their 33rd season, subtitled Millennials vs. Gen X, the "Millennial tribe" consisted of individuals born between 1984 and 1997.

Due to birth-year overlap between definitions of Generation X and millennials, and the tentative nature of generations, some individuals born in the late 1970s and early 1980s see themselves as being "between" the two generations. Names given to those born in the Generation X and Millennial cusp years include Xennials, Generation Catalano, and the Oregon Trail Generation.

Generation Z

Date and age range definition

Statistics Canada defines Generation Z as starting with the birth year 1993. Statistics Canada does not recognize a traditional Millennials cohort and instead has Generation Z directly follow what it designates as Children of Baby boomers (born 1970–1992).

Randstad Canada describes Generation Z as those born between 1995–2014. Australia's McCrindle Research Centre defines Generation Z as those born between 1995–2009, starting with a recorded rise in birth rates, and fitting their newer definition of a generational span with a maximum of 15 years. A 2014 report from Sparks and Honey describes Generation Z as those born in 1995 or later. In Japan, generations are defined by a ten-year span with "Neo-Digital natives" beginning after 1996.

A 2018 report from Pew Research Center defines "Post-Millennials" as born from 1997 onward, choosing this date for "key political, economic and social factors", including September 11th terrorist attacks. This date makes Post-Millennials 4 years of age or younger at the time of the attacks, so having little or no memory of the event. Pew indicated they'd use 1997 for future publications but would remain open to date recalibration. An earlier 2014 publication from Pew Research included the year 2000 as start year for the cohort, as part of an interview with Paul Taylor, author of The Next America: Boomers, Millennials, and the Looming Generational Showdown.

The Futures Company, marketing agency Frank N. Magid Associates, and The Shand Group use 1997 as the first year of birth for this cohort. A 2016 report from multinational banking firm Goldman Sachs describes Generation Z as those born after 1998.

MTV described Generation Z as those born after December 2000, for a survey conducted by the network regarding possible names for the cohort. The American Marketing Association describes Generation Z as those born after September 11, 2001, suggesting the cohort should be dubbed Gen 9/11 arguing "all children born after Sept. 11, 2001, will experience a world totally different from all generations that preceded it". The Asia Business Unit of Corporate Directions, Inc describes Gen Z as born between 2001-2015, and Philippine Retailers Association describes Generation Z as born after 2001.

Author Neil Howe defines the cohort as people born from approximately 2005–2025, but describes the dividing line between Generation Z and Millennials as "tentative" saying, "you can’t be sure where history will someday draw a cohort dividing line until a generation fully comes of age". Howe says that the Millennials' range beginning in 1982 points to the next generation's window starting between 2000 and 2006.

And thats just relating between Millennials & Generation Z. Now I generally agree with you, in a perfect world I rather just have a generally accepted consensus on when each generation begins or ends. But for generations after Baby Boomers, it really isn't that clear cut. Mainly because, unlike the Boomers that were a generation that was known for its cultural influence and its objective (key word) demographic span (its undisputed that the Post WWII Boom ended in 1964), generations X, Millennials, & Z (whatever they end up calling you guys) are known solely for cultural reasons, therefor is a bit subjective and is left to ones own interpretation. On top of that, even if one were to come up with a logical/concise system for generations; lets use Pew's as an example which places Xers as those born from 1965 through 1980, Millennials from 1981 through 1996, & Gen Z as 1997 through 2012, hard cutoffs only tell half the story. Someone born in 1980 is not dramatically different from someone born in 1981 because one is technically a late Xer and the other is technically a early Yer. Same could be said with 1996 & 1997 borns, regardless if you think 96' & 97' borns are in a two separate generations or are in the same generation (be it Y or Z), I as someone born in 1996 will always see someone born in 1997 as apart of my generation, because its a measly 1 year difference.

Thus, it comes to a point where IMO, I do think that cusps could actually work out and be expressed in a civic manner. Me and MQG are the same exact age (only a month between us) and yet I feel like a Millennial through & through (for better and worst ;D), while he feels more torn & a bit of both Y & Z, so neither one of us is necessarily right or wrong in that aspect. Objectively, when looking at where marketers and demographers place us, we are technically both Millennial & Z, thats a fact . So because of that reality, and the wide range of subjectivity people my age have regarding their generational identity, is why cusps do in fact exist. One could claim that some years lean more to one generation than the other, and I generally agree with that.

Its different for everybody, but for me from who I interact with on a daily basis and my personal friends I think those born in 1997 & before harbor many Millennial characteristics/traits and may exhibit those stereotypes. 1998ers, are like the first year that comes to mind where you start to see a significant amount of Gen Z traits from the friends I have that year, but I'd still say they lean more Millennial overall. 1999ers are like the ultimate threshold between the two generations, and after that..... I honestly don't really know that much. All I can say from the few teens I do know of born after 1999 (mainly from my job ;D), they seem to act stereotypically  Gen Z.....? Idk. Thats another thing, I never attended school with kids born in the 2000s, so my understanding of their tastes in music, fashion, political beliefs, etc. is a bit limited. But from the few interactions I had, I could confidently say that 2000 borns seem the first to exhibit more of the stereotypical 'Z' traits than the Millennial traits.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion, based on my personal experience, so take it with a grain of salt. But just by going over this it goes to show that the line is more gradual than abrupt.

The overall problem with “cusp” is that it makes generation topics more arbitrary than they already are. Yeah, cusp could help because it’s not like someone born on December 31, 1994 is a whole different generation from someone born in January 1st, 1995. However, the same could be said for cusp too. Say for example, Y/Z cusp ends in 1999. It’s not like someone born on December 31, 1999 is different from someone born in January 1st, 2000 just because the former is considered a cusp and the latter isn’t. That’s exactly why using “cusp” in generation topics make it more arbitrary.

Written By: CupidTheStupid on 08/01/18 at 10:59 pm

Well, cusps are helpful for people who get squeezed into Y & Z so often, so there is less confusion for them. Plus they don’t have to argue over if they belong with Millennials or Gen Z.

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/01/18 at 11:07 pm

Well, cusps are helpful for people who get squeezed into Y & Z so often, so there is less confusion for them. Plus they don’t have to argue over if they belong with Millennials or Gen Z.

There is less confusion for them, but even more confusion for everyone else. The cutoff debates for generations is already argued about to death on this forum. Now add cusp to that list. Not only do you have people arguing over when the generation ends, but also when the "cusp" generation starts and ends. So while they may argue less about whether if they are Gen Y or Gen Z, you're still going to have plenty of other people starting to argue over when the "cusp" generation starts and ends because it's another arbitrary thing added on to the argument.

Again, I understand that you can't just say "If you were born after December 31st, 1994, you're Gen Z". Obviously, a day doesn't make a single difference.

Which brings me to my next point. At the end of the day, it's just labels. I just made this thread to express my honest opinion, because I was bored and wanted to talk about something. ;D

Written By: meesa on 08/01/18 at 11:33 pm

https://media.makeameme.org/created/its-all-been.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...