inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Battle of Southern Hip Hop: Crunk vs. Snap. vs. Trap

Written By: muppethammer26 on 08/10/18 at 8:57 pm

Which of the big 3 southern rap do you think it's the best? What is your favorite crunk/snap/trap song? Crunk, Snap and Trap all originated in the Southern U.S., crunk was popular in the early 2000's, snap was popular in the late 2000's and finally, in the 2010's, trap is currently popular. Some people like to bash these 3 rap sub-genres because they think that crunk/snap/trap ruined hip hop.

Example of a crunk song:

vhTF1sEkf-U

Example of a snap song:

rFz59Jmgewk

Example of a trap song:

wKl6umkwKfU

Subject: Re: Battle of Southern Hip Hop: Crunk vs. Snap. vs. Trap

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/10/18 at 9:31 pm

None of these are my favorite. But crunk is probably the best.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/10/18 at 9:38 pm

Its difficult. I really like crunk and mainly old trap. Snap is the easiest to be decided over tho. Haha

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/10/18 at 10:03 pm

Crunk-music and Snap, but mainly the first. These are two sub-genres of Hip-hop that dominated the urban scene and that people can dance to at a club all night. One can't say the same for Trap.

Written By: Jaydawg89 on 08/10/18 at 11:26 pm

I prefer Crunk by a landslide compared to Snap and Trap. I remember I hated Snap and is one of the reasons why I didn't like the music scene between 2005 - 2008. Meanwhile, most Trap songs are annoying/boring to me and the sound has been so oversaturated in the past few years.

Written By: Zelek3 on 08/11/18 at 12:56 am

Crunk-music and Snap, but mainly the first. These are two sub-genres of Hip-hop that dominated the urban scene and that people can dance to at a club all night. One can't say the same for Trap.

It seems like snap is like the less aggressive, more materialistic version of crunk.

Written By: Dundee on 08/11/18 at 8:39 am

I'll like to remind that Trap music is such a huge constellation of different artists that brought so many different ideas and directions with to it, and really isn't unique to America either. Many people here don't seem to realize but it's an incredibly varied style of music that ranges from bubblegum-y, melodic and dancey beats to atmospheric, airy and soothing instrumentals and has even explored noisy, distorted realms. It also influened plenty of EDM genres which went in even more different directions.

YWyHZNBz6FE
7cDYYvOhKwg
FiAb8ei_WZ0
51Da3Yvd0DI
bWHR0fS9jvQ
aj9coPGuFkM
KKRJpcBcKBw

I'll go with it easily.

Crunk just isn't as diverse and is defined by much fewer acts in fact, and gets very old after a while.

Snap is just bad and shouldn't be bothered with

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/12/18 at 2:13 pm

At least for snap in the comparison, I can't stand Bounce. Snap rap is a masterpiece when I have to sit through it.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 08/12/18 at 10:43 pm

Yall forget organized noise which is the 90s style of southern rap.

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/01/20 at 10:18 pm

Trap music first hit the mainstream in 2003 as the less aggressive cousin to crunk music and plateaued in popularity around 2007-08. Nowadays what's coming out is more like post-trap than actual trap.

It sounds the best tho. ;D

xjDT3rMSQLQ
pudIZbCRq_c
JU9TouRnO84

Written By: wixness on 09/02/20 at 1:28 pm

Since I know next to nothing about hip hop I don't feel like I can say much about the genre, although I may prefer the former two simply because they aren't so ubiquitous. I don't know how trap came to be popular, but it's kind of frustrating and annoying since I feel it's almost overused even in songs that aren't hip hop.

Written By: Wink-182 on 09/03/20 at 2:47 pm

Crunk, I remember hearing a good amount of Soujia Boy and Chamillionaire growing up and hearing it on the bus with the older kids when I was in grade school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxBSyx85Kp8

Written By: wixness on 09/05/20 at 3:11 pm

Come to think of it, I think I may slightly prefer snap - crunk is generally too aggressive for me (I might change my mind though) and trap comes across as lazy and unoriginal to me especially with how ubiquitous it is even outside hip hop.

Check for new replies or respond here...