inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 4 am = late or early?

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 08/27/18 at 7:42 pm

I asked this on Personality Cafe, and got a lot of good responses, so I thought I'd ask it here, since we enjoy discussions about time on this site.

To you, is the hour of 4 am (4:00-4:59) "late" or "early", like do you associate it more as a "night owl hour", or an "early bird hour"?
Most people I know, myself included, immediately associate 3 am as "late", and 5 am as "early", but 4 am is more stuck in limbo, in fact the results I got on Personality Cafe were mixed, as I type this, the "late" and "early" votes from that thread are tied at 26 each.
As for me, I consider it evenly split; 4:00-4:29 is "late", while 4:30-4:59 is "early", makes sense since 4:30 am is when Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts open, and when a few morning news stations air.

What's your viewpoint regarding this? Do you consider 4 am to be early, late, or half & half, and why?

Subject: Re: 4 am = late or early?

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/27/18 at 8:10 pm

It depends on the context. If you're coming home from partying all night at a nightclub or concert, than I'd consider 4AM VERY Late. However, if one went to sleep early at say 7PM to get up for a very early shift at work, than I'd consider 4AM VERY Early. So its a mixture of both. 3AM is SOLIDLY in the Late category as most people don't get up prior to 4 if they're trying to go to work or any other excursions. 5 is SOLIDLY in the early category because even the partiest of party animals are usually in their bed no latter than 5, and thus may wake up between the hours of 8AM & 12PM.

I'm not sure If I'm making much sense haha ;D.

Written By: Wobo on 08/27/18 at 8:25 pm

Half late and half early,

Written By: annimal on 08/27/18 at 8:37 pm

still hot

Written By: Rainbowz on 08/27/18 at 8:56 pm

still hot

like me ;)

Written By: gibbo on 08/28/18 at 12:46 am

It depends on the context. If you're coming home from partying all night at a nightclub or concert, than I'd consider 4AM VERY Late. However, if one went to sleep early at say 7PM to get up for a very early shift at work, than I'd consider 4AM VERY Early. So its a mixture of both. 3AM is SOLIDLY in the Late category as most people don't get up prior to 4 if they're trying to go to work or any other excursions. 5 is SOLIDLY in the early category because even the partiest of party animals are usually in their bed no latter than 5, and thus may wake up between the hours of 8AM & 12PM.

Yes ... the context is based upon when you went to bed (to sleep).  ::)

Subject: 4 am = late or early?

Written By: Dude111 on 08/28/18 at 4:26 am

It depends on the context. If you're coming home from partying all night at a nightclub or concert, than I'd consider 4AM VERY Late. However, if one went to sleep early at say 7PM to get up for a very early shift at work, than I'd consider 4AM VERY Early.

Indeed..... No way to say either or!!

Written By: Howard on 08/28/18 at 7:35 am

4am to me would be considered early, cause that's what time I get up sometimes when I have a morning shift.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 08/28/18 at 8:25 am

I agree.
One person on PerC stated "to me, it's an awful time to be awake either way", and I think that's a perfect way of putting it. You'd have to miss out on either the morning or late evening if you wanted to be up at 4 am while getting the standard 8 hours of sleep in, since 8 hours after 4 am is noon, and 8 hours before is 8 pm.
If I had it my way, I'd sleep midnight to 8 am, and work a 10:30-6:30 shift. That gives me both the morning and evening to take up recreation.

Written By: 2001 on 08/28/18 at 9:14 am

I wake up at 4:30AM on a normal day. I consider it early morning.

Written By: Howard on 08/28/18 at 3:08 pm

I get about between 7-8 hours of sleep and I go to sleep when My Father goes to sleep and I wake up during a morning shift after 3 cause I have to get out the house at around 530am so I try to take a quick shower and have a quick breakfast and during my days off I get up at around 5am so I can sleep in a few hours but I'm a morning person anyway.

Written By: ofkx on 08/28/18 at 6:29 pm

Falling asleep at 4 am is late, but waking up at 4 am is early. 

Written By: Dundee on 08/31/18 at 9:41 am

Yeah it all depends if you still have to sleep or just woke up ;D

Written By: annimal on 08/31/18 at 12:21 pm

mediceneish time for my 12 hour medicenes

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/31/19 at 8:48 am

Depends on the previous day, but generally 4am is early.

Written By: Howard on 05/31/19 at 3:23 pm

Depends on the previous day, but generally 4am is early.

I agree 4am is early.

Written By: violet_shy on 05/31/19 at 6:54 pm

4 AM is very early. I'm usually sleeping around that time. I always wake up at around 6:00 am or 6:30 am every morning.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/19 at 2:13 pm

4 AM is very early. I'm usually sleeping around that time. I always wake up at around 6:00 am or 6:30 am every morning.

The only time I get up at 4 is when I have an afternoon shift, the other times are either after 3 in the morning or on my days off it's about after 5 in the morning.

Written By: MyAdidas on 06/08/19 at 9:43 pm

Early. Having kids makes sleep a privilege.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/09/19 at 2:29 pm

I get up at 4am occasionally when I have an afternoon shift.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/10/19 at 2:10 am

I get at 4am occasionally when I have an afternoon shift.
Same with me, but have to...

Written By: Howard on 06/10/19 at 5:43 am

Same with me, but have to...

need to take care of business?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/13/19 at 2:09 am

need to take care of business?
I will say no more...

Written By: MichaelBurton69 on 06/13/19 at 9:10 pm

I usually see 4am is being very late,but could also be very early as well.However depends when the person goes to sleep.

Written By: annimal on 06/13/19 at 9:50 pm

very early for me.  Usually asleep unless I have to use the bathroom

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/14/19 at 6:56 am

"You're gonna miss me
Early in the mornin'
One of these days oh, yeah"

Written By: Howard on 06/14/19 at 7:28 am

I usually see 4am is being very late,but could also be very early as well.However depends when the person goes to sleep.

I'm usually up after 4am.

Written By: 2001 on 06/14/19 at 11:09 am

I'm usually up after 4am.

I usually wake up at 5am.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/14/19 at 11:38 am

That is happening with me with the early sunrises this time of the year.

Written By: 2001 on 06/14/19 at 11:46 am

That is happening with me with the early sunrises this time of the year.

In the winter I was waking up at 4:30am, but my gym didn't open until 5:30am, so I moved my bed time to 5am. The gym opens at 5am now but I haven't moved my bedtime back exactly because it's spring and the sun sets very late and I don't want to go to bed while the sun is still up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/14/19 at 12:05 pm

In the winter I was waking up at 4:30am, but my gym didn't open until 5:30am, so I moved my bed time to 5am. The gym opens at 5am now but I haven't moved my bedtime back exactly because it's spring and the sun sets very late and I don't want to go to bed while the sun is still up.
Subconsciously, that is what happening to me, be awake in the daylight hours.

Proves I am no vampire?

Written By: Howard on 06/14/19 at 1:39 pm

What about your days off?

Written By: 2001 on 06/14/19 at 1:48 pm

What about your days off?

Still 5am, unless I was out late at night for consecutive days. I don't want to throw my sleep schedule off balance. I wake up a few minutes before my alarm naturally, and I start feeling VERY sleepy at around 8pm-10pm the night before which makes it easy to fall sleep, and I attribute that to my strictness. :P

Check for new replies or respond here...