inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Conflict over a film and decades.

Written By: wixness on 08/28/18 at 9:25 am

Recently, I've watched a film (Winx Club: 3D Magical Adventure) that I've grown to be fond of, for a few reasons: the soundtrack used, and how well it depicted the universe of the franchise. It was poignant but beautiful, at least for me. What made it painful though, was not only with what the characters were going through in both films, not only how the aesthetic of the film would have made me want to cry tears of joy or of sadness for my own life, and not just the fact that I couldn't help but just envy them for their colourful and boundless lives, but also the fact that it came out in the early 2010s, October 2010 to be more specific.

I can't really say I like 2000s stuff in general if one of the things I like comes from the early 2010s. Yes, much of the stuff I do like comes from the 2000s or would have a 2000s vibe to it, but say that something happened to me back in 2010. Say that I were granted a wish to relive a decade, but it had to be that decade exactly, or that I would die because of divine intervention, disease, an accident, suicide or karma relating to my wishes for decades - I'd feel bummed out about missing that film and a few other things maybe that I like from the 2010s. And yes, I once considered suicide as early as in the late 2000s, but I thought it was because it was logical. I've briefly come across a user on here who died of cancer back in 2010s, so I could have not made it beyond 2010.

At the same time, I want to keep my hate for the 2010s alive until the 2010s are dead. I'm not sure if I can say I hate the 2010s if there's a little bit of it I like, but even as early as 2010, the music and fashion trends that I hate started to come into existence.

Had I known about the film I could have watched this film sooner to when it came out; however, even if the 2010s did turn out to be a little better for me with these trends, I would want to forget about the decade because of personal issues, and this to me would entail forgetting even the good experiences like the film. There are many ways I'd change the 2010s in order for me to be satisfied with it, but also possibly my life in the past. I feel like that there are a few memory holes for me in the 2010s, but sadly, I remember the 2000s even less. So if I were given a chance to remember only one decade by divine intervention, medical intervention or fantasy, I would only remember the 2000s and may forget the 2010s out of hatred, or because of the strict conditions.

Why do I believe this? Anything could happen, and anything could have happened to me. At the same time, as I said, I still want to keep the 2010s hate alive until the decade becomes more obscure and until I die. I may attend a 2000s themed party and feel something is missing if they were really good at keeping things from that decade, so this would be inconsistent with my opinions of decades.

My only consolation with that film is that it could have been written as early as 2008 or something, and that it maybe have been kept getting pushed back or whatever. There is barely any proof for this though, and this is basically fan theory drawing from other pieces of fan theory linked to it. For instance, one character in the film was alive even though by the time this film came out, he was dead in the original series, and when the next season of the TV show came out after this film, he was never referred to again. In addition to that, for me, the music in the film sounded very much like it came out of the 2000s; this could be probably either because it was originally gonna be released earlier and they kept everything except character appearances and a few other minor details, or the early 2010s still had some trends from the late 2000s, if the songs were written and tweaked closer to the release date.

I mean, the issue could be alleviated somewhat if I followed a different calendar entirely, but I don't come from a background where that's necessary, and I'd still have to use the calendar that's used in most of the world. It might be better though, but I don't know. I could say instead that since I was 12, 13 or 14, culture stopped appealing to me, but this would imply that the cultural changes that have taken place were legitimate. In my opinion, same sex marriage, improved LGBT rights and nearly everything else Obama stood for have been the few good things that took place this decade, but not much else. Even then, I just simply stopped liking life since I moved to the UK with my parents in 2004, when I was 6 years old and turning 7 in December.

Why did I watch the film in the first place? I've been meaning to watch this film (and I did, I haven't watched it initially) in order to try and get more into the franchise, since I've been obsessing about it for so long without properly knowing about the series after rediscovering it in around 2006. The series has left me feeling a little bummed out for my own life now that I've gotten a little more into it, not just because I was born later than I would have wanted to be (which would have otherwise allowed me to enjoy the show when it was still fresh in people's minds and without fear of prejudice from my parents when I was younger) and sometimes not just because the series has fallen flat on some of my expectations, but also because it's reminding me of how my life's just fruitless, restrictive and ugly in many aspects.
I'm trying to live my life more and more with consideration as to what people from the 2000s would have only had, but mostly with things like films, shows and music so far. I'm doing this in defiance of what the 2010s has given the world in terms of its culture, so I don't end up being sentimental when it does pass over things like guys looking clearly more masculine because of the then "cool" hairstyles, and the music being bland and lacking structure - only thing I like about it is that it's been more culturally liberal. I don't want to enjoy life as it comes really until this decade is over, but since watching this film, this has caused me some doubts. Do I excuse the 2010s for something like this one film, even though the bad has outweighed the good for me in terms of culture, or do I eliminate this double standard entirely by dismissing the decade (like how many people already forget about the 2000s) once it passes, and live life as if it never happened, as if hipster was never a thing for the mainstream and as if this film never came out?

Sorry if this post has been so long and rambly; what do you guys think?

Subject: Re: Conflict over a film and decades.

Written By: meesa on 08/28/18 at 8:07 pm

hey there,
I guess I am not really understanding what you are asking. Are you asking if you should accept that the decade you live in is not the decade that you want to live in? Honestly, I think there are many other times and periods that I would have liked to live in besides the one I grew up in and currently live in now, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying life. I haven't thought about it that much, I guess, or not enough to be discontented with it.

Questions for you: do you have any hobbies? Do you hang out with friends? What does make you feel content, or fulfilled? For example, what would your typical day, or week be like?

I ask because sometimes if you spend too much time alone, you can get way too far in your own head and start thinking too long on things that can make you unhappy.

Written By: wixness on 08/28/18 at 8:12 pm

hey there,
I guess I am not really understanding what you are asking. Are you asking if you should accept that the decade you live in is not the decade that you want to live in? Honestly, I think there are many other times and periods that I would have liked to live in besides the one I grew up in and currently live in now, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying life. I haven't thought about it that much, I guess, or not enough to be discontented with it.

Questions for you: do you have any hobbies? Do you hang out with friends? What does make you feel content, or fulfilled? For example, what would your typical day, or week be like?

I ask because sometimes if you spend too much time alone, you can get way too far in your own head and start thinking too long on things that can make you unhappy.
I've been trying to get into hobbies, but I've also been looking to finish this show to gain more knowledge about it. I am picky with friends so I generally prefer to talk to people online. Generally, playing games would make me feel fulfilled, but I would like to work on this personal project as well. I will only have 3 or 4 weeks left until I return to uni, so I want to relax and prepare for it.

Written By: meesa on 08/28/18 at 10:01 pm

I getcha. If I had any advice I would say get out and enjoy the next few weeks before school. Go for walks, get some fresh air. Sometimes just getting up and away from the house can give you a new perspective. :)

Written By: wixness on 08/29/18 at 7:11 am

hey there,
Yes, considering that most things in this decade I don't like as much as I do compared to the past decade. I'm not sure if I should make a big exception for this considering the release date of the film and its soundtrack (well within the 2010s); they could have been developed during the 2000s though, but the film came out at October 2010 the earliest.

Written By: 2001 on 08/29/18 at 7:58 pm

I think it's important to recognize that every decade (or year) has its good parts and bad parts. While you might not like the 2010s, it doesn't mean nothing good can come out of it e.g. that film you just watched.

Written By: wixness on 08/30/18 at 5:03 am

I think it's important to recognize that every decade (or year) has its good parts and bad parts. While you might not like the 2010s, it doesn't mean nothing good can come out of it e.g. that film you just watched.
It got pushed back probably, as is the tradition for the company behind this franchise. Even then, I feel bummed out about the film for reasons unrelated to the decade as well. I think I had a little bit of a discussion about this decade stuff already on IM, but it would also be nice to discuss both topics again (decade and film).

Check for new replies or respond here...