inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Goatees may make a comeback

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/29/18 at 3:11 pm

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/the-goatee-is-making-a-comeback-and-its-edgier-and-rougher-than-ever-before/news-story/4c344b5924952685fedfb022a8a0d5a3

https://menhairstylist.com/goatee-styles/

The facial hair style was popular from around 1991 to 2008, or basically from the start of the grunge age until around the electropop age ushered in.

From around 2009 to 2017, this facial hair style seemed to disappear because of the "beard" trend.

2018 seemed to be the year where goatees finally made a comeback. Not to mention, I'm starting to see more and more goatees since around Spring of this year, even among college students.

https://hairstylehub.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/full-goatee.jpg

Subject: Re: Goatees may make a comeback

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/29/18 at 3:53 pm

I don't think so. Goatees were huge, as you say, in the 90s to mid 2000s. But they fell into the same trap that mustaches did. Everyone had one, even the worst people, so the reputation or whatever you wanna call it, of the goatee, declined. I mean, I read something once that style comes in three phases: First the hip people wear it (celebs, etc), then the regular people wear it and that's the peak, then the lower class embrace it and it dies. That was the rise and fall of the mullet, for example. I'm 27 and I don't think I've seen more than 5 guys below 40 with a goatee in the last few years. If I was single and on the dating scene I wouldn't wear one because I feel like I'd look dorky, like someone's dad, basically.

The mustache feel into the trap of it being associated with hypermasculinity, machoness, and to be honest, gays and pedophilia. They also became "your father's facial hair" because at least a good half of Baby Boomer dads wore one at some point. The Goatee is what your Gen X dad now wears or has worn since the 90s; it's no longer hot, it's dated. It's what rednecks and truckers and bald guys do to detract from their baldness. And I say this not to offend, because my brother in law who I love has a goatee and has had one since 1999, but I just get the sense that for a younger man, they're very uncool, almost as uncool as a solo mustache is. Right now it's either a full beard or nothing.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/29/18 at 4:59 pm

I don't think so. Goatees were huge, as you say, in the 90s to mid 2000s. But they fell into the same trap that mustaches did. Everyone had one, even the worst people, so the reputation or whatever you wanna call it, of the goatee, declined. I mean, I read something once that style comes in three phases: First the hip people wear it (celebs, etc), then the regular people wear it and that's the peak, then the lower class embrace it and it dies. That was the rise and fall of the mullet, for example. I'm 27 and I don't think I've seen more than 5 guys below 40 with a goatee in the last few years. If I was single and on the dating scene I wouldn't wear one because I feel like I'd look dorky, like someone's dad, basically.

The mustache feel into the trap of it being associated with hypermasculinity, machoness, and to be honest, gays and pedophilia. They also became "your father's facial hair" because at least a good half of Baby Boomer dads wore one at some point. The Goatee is what your Gen X dad now wears or has worn since the 90s; it's no longer hot, it's dated. It's what rednecks and truckers and bald guys do to detract from their baldness. And I say this not to offend, because my brother in law who I love has a goatee and has had one since 1999, but I just get the sense that for a younger man, they're very uncool, almost as uncool as a solo mustache is. Right now it's either a full beard or nothing.

I see a lot of Gen Jones people (1955-1964) sporting goatees too.

Written By: 2001 on 08/29/18 at 7:26 pm

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act/the-goatee-is-making-a-comeback-and-its-edgier-and-rougher-than-ever-before/news-story/4c344b5924952685fedfb022a8a0d5a3

https://menhairstylist.com/goatee-styles/

The facial hair style was popular from around 1991 to 2008, or basically from the start of the grunge age until around the electropop age ushered in.

From around 2009 to 2017, this facial hair style seemed to disappear because of the "beard" trend.

2018 seemed to be the year where goatees finally made a comeback. Not to mention, I'm starting to see more and more goatees since around Spring of this year, even among college students.

https://hairstylehub.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/full-goatee.jpg

I think goatees can look sexy but not fuzzballs like that one. It should be neat and trimmed.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 08/29/18 at 7:29 pm

Thanks, but no thanks.... I think I'll stick to beards!

Written By: 90s Guy on 08/30/18 at 10:29 pm

I see a lot of Gen Jones people (1955-1964) sporting goatees too.

Yeah, basically they're your dad's or grandad's facial hair. And that's not what a young woman wants when she's looking for a guy - a guy whose face fuzz reminds her of her dad. The goatee, like the mustache, died because it became oversaturated. They were EVERYWHERE on every other guy's face in his late teens to mid 30s at one time in the late 90s through mid 00s as I remember. And guys in their 40s in that era who had mustaches turned them into goatees to look hip as well. These guys all have kids now or grandkids. It's not gonna be a mainstream style or considered hot for probably another 20 years or so. Beards are here to stay for probably another 5-10 years I would wager. The big, gigantic hipster lumberjack beards of 5 years ago are out - but a well trimmed beard is pretty much where it's at in terms of facial hair.

Written By: 2001 on 08/31/18 at 4:41 am

Beards won't ever go out of style. That genie is firmly out of the bottle now. ;D

"Looking old" isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially on guys. :P

Check for new replies or respond here...