inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are Millennials more like Gen X or Gen Z?

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/30/18 at 6:15 am

Just an interesting thought to compare the three main post-Boomer generations, as all raised at a time when color TV was the standard, Civil Rights was in full effect, and in at least some form video games were available for part of their childhood. Of course, a Gen Xer is quite a bit different than their kids (mainly Gen Z, which I define as 1997-2013, with the key qualifier being remembering a time before Trump took office), from things like the Internet always being around, post-9/11 atmosphere, political correctness, mobile phones, and rock music being seen as the music of yesteryear for them. But in between you've got Millennials, and while they of course share commonalities with each other, you'll find that especially on their edges, they "bleed" in with the adjacent generations, with early members of the generation like myself more apt to remember things like the pre-Internet world, 2D video games, and rock music being somewhat more prevalent, while later members see themselves as being part of the "iGen" just like a lot of Z. With that said, I still feel that Millennials are more like Gen Z, as even myself had affects like playing less outside due to video games, early computer PC games replacing books as educational tools, and having an apt for being more to themselves. 

Subject: Re: Are Millennials more like Gen X or Gen Z?

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 08/30/18 at 7:29 am

I sometimes see articles that split the Millennial generation into twos. Older Millennials are usually seen as 1981-1988. Younger Millennials are probably going to be seen as 1989-1996.

https://www.solutionsthroughresearch.com/audience-consumer-research/generational-definitions-vary-by-source
https://www.cnn.com/2017/05/01/health/young-old-millennial-partner/index.html
https://extranewsfeed.com/the-tsa-generation-1cff790a0609

I would say that Older Millennials born between 1981 and 1985 have more in common with Gen X. Not to mention, they were part of the Oregon Trail Generation, which also includes people from Gen X.

Core Millennials born between 1986 and 1991 aren't like Gen X and Gen Z.

Late Millennials born between 1992 and 1996 will have more in common with Gen Z than Gen X.

Subject: Re: Are Millennials more like Gen X or Gen Z?

Written By: 2001 on 08/30/18 at 11:26 am

The older ones are like Gen X and the younger ones are more like Gen Z, and then there are individual circumstances and personalities thrown in between. That's the boring and truthful answer that no one wants to hear, it always has to be some huge argument. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...