inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How Much Hotter Is Your Hometown Than When You Were Born?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/18 at 5:02 pm

"As the world warms because of human-induced climate change, most of us can expect to see more days when temperatures hit 90 degrees Fahrenheit (32 degrees Celsius) or higher. See how your hometown has changed so far and how much hotter it may get."

LINK HERE: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/08/30/climate/how-much-hotter-is-your-hometown.html

My results were that in 1999, if you were in the New York area you could expect 9 days per yer to reach 90 °F (32 °C) or higher.

Today, you can expect 11 days per year to reach 90 °F (32 °C) or higher.

Subject: Re: How Much Hotter Is Your Hometown Than When You Were Born?

Written By: 2001 on 08/31/18 at 5:29 pm

When I was born in 1993, I could expect 1 day above 32°C a year in Hamilton, Ontario, compared to 1 day in 2017. :P

2018 must've turned that one on its head though. I think we've had at least a week's worth of days above 32 this year.

TBH I notice global warming more in the winter. This year it got up to 17°C (63°F) in February, and it got up to at least 15°C (59°F) in February 2016 and 2017 as well. Previously  temperatures above 8°C (46°F) or so in February were almost unheard of. The previous all-time record for February before 2016 was 14°C (57°F)

Written By: SmartBo1 on 08/31/18 at 11:06 pm

I just tried it with Seattle and all it told me was that Seattle isn't prone to 90 degree days. :\'( Which is totally not true. We've had plenty of days over 90 degrees this summer!

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 08/31/18 at 11:24 pm

I just tried it with Seattle and all it told me was that Seattle isn't prone to 90 degree days. :\'( Which is totally not true. We've had plenty of days over 90 degrees this summer!

When you were born or now?

Written By: Howard on 09/01/18 at 2:02 pm

"As the world warms because of human-induced climate change, most of us can expect to see more days when temperatures hit 90 degrees Fahrenheit (32 degrees Celsius) or higher. See how your hometown has changed so far and how much hotter it may get."

LINK HERE: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/08/30/climate/how-much-hotter-is-your-hometown.html

My results were that in 1999, if you were in the New York area you could expect 9 days per yer to reach 90 °F (32 °C) or higher.

Today, you can expect 11 days per year to reach 90 °F (32 °C) or higher.

New York this past summer has had a lot of 90 degree days and for next week we may have another heatwave about 90 or more and Summer ain't over just yet. :P

Written By: 2001 on 09/01/18 at 2:19 pm

New York this past summer has had a lot of 90 degree days and for next week we may have another heatwave about 90 or more and Summer ain't over just yet. :P

A few more 30C+ days back home in the forecast for the Toronto area as well. In September too! I'm missing out  :\'(

It should still be 30C when I get back, so maybe I'll get to enjoy a few warm days before summer is out. :)

Written By: SmartBo1 on 09/01/18 at 2:37 pm

When you were born or now?

It didn't specify when. It only told me to choose another city.

Written By: karen on 09/02/18 at 8:19 am

It didn't specify when. It only told me to choose another city.

Same for my town.  However just because there have been some very hot day this year doesn't mean that it is prone to 90 degree days.  They don't occur regularly enough for them to be counted.

Written By: 90s Guy on 09/04/18 at 12:21 pm

Being here in Brooklyn, NY, it seems the summers, especially in the past 5 years, are longer, wetter, more intense and overall more unpleasant. I don't recall more than a few decent summer days this whole summer yet if you go back to say, 1996, a person here could be wearing a jean jacket in early June.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 09/09/18 at 7:00 pm

Being here in Brooklyn, NY, it seems the summers, especially in the past 5 years, are longer, wetter, more intense and overall more unpleasant. I don't recall more than a few decent summer days this whole summer yet if you go back to say, 1996, a person here could be wearing a jean jacket in early June.
Funny cause that the year I was born.

Check for new replies or respond here...