inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What generation are your parents a part of?

Written By: d90 on 09/04/18 at 10:14 am

My mom born in 1954 and dad born in 1957 are part of the Baby Boomer generation

Subject: Re: What generation are your parents apart of?

Written By: 2001 on 09/04/18 at 10:32 am

I'm seeing this spelling/grammar mistake happen so often on this forum that I feel the need to correct it before the word gets ruined like "literally" did.

"Apart of" and "a part of" have completely OPPOSITE meanings. You mean to say "a part of".

My parents are apart from the Millennial and Gen Z generations.

My dad (born 1958) and mom (born 1966) are a part of the Baby Boom and Gen X generations respectively. :P

Subject: Re: What generation are your parents a part of?

Written By: d90 on 09/04/18 at 10:41 am

I'm seeing this spelling/grammar mistake happen so often on this forum that I feel the need to correct it before the word gets ruined like "literally" did.

"Apart of" and "a part of" have completely OPPOSITE meanings. You mean to say "a part of".

My parents are apart from the Millennial and Gen Z generations.

My dad (born 1958) and mom (born 1966) are a part of the Baby Boom and Gen X generations respectively. :P

I revised the title

Written By: violet_shy on 09/04/18 at 10:48 am

My parents are Baby Boomers. My mom was born in 1957 and my dad in 1958.

Written By: 90s Guy on 09/04/18 at 12:19 pm

My parents were both born in 1954, my sisters in 1972, 1973, and 1980 and I was born in 1990.

Written By: Howard on 09/04/18 at 2:39 pm

My Mother was born in 1945 and My Father in 1941

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 09/04/18 at 2:49 pm

Mom b. 1957, Dad b. 1949.

Four older siblings born in 77', 85', 86', & 91'.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/04/18 at 5:35 pm

Gen X

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/04/18 at 8:29 pm

Both of my parents are Baby Boomers.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/04/18 at 9:14 pm

My mom was a "Silent".  My dad was the generation that preceded "Silent" ("Greatest"??).  (They had an age gap.)

Myself, I'm a Gen Jones, aka late Boomer...

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 09/04/18 at 9:30 pm

Gen X, born 1969 and 1971

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/04/18 at 10:10 pm

My dad was born in 1958, and my mom 1962, so they're both Baby Boomers. They're also part of the "Generation Jones" subset.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/05/18 at 12:56 pm

My mom was a "Silent".  My dad was the generation that preceded "Silent" ("Greatest"??).  (They had an age gap.)

Myself, I'm a Gen Jones, aka late Boomer...

I have never heard of that-and according to the definition, I guess I fall into that as well. I have ALWAYS called myself a Baby Boomer. I once had an argument with Carlos about me being a Baby Boomer (he was at the beginning and I was toward the end). I told him that ALL my sibs are Baby Boomers and aren't I in the same generation as my sibs? He couldn't argue with that.

My parents were both part of the Silent generation-or depression babies. 

Cat

Written By: fusefan on 09/05/18 at 3:17 pm

My parents we’re born in the early 1960s so Boomer/ Gen Jones.

Written By: ofkx on 09/05/18 at 5:20 pm

My dad’s a baby boomer, and my mom’s a part of gen x.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/05/18 at 5:25 pm

Both of my parents are Baby Boomers.

However, since both of them were born in 1963, they are also considered to be apart of the cohort known as "Generation Jones".

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/05/18 at 6:12 pm

My Mum was born in 1964 (Baby Boomer, but she considers herself to be Gen X) and my Dad was born in 1967 (Gen X).

Written By: gibbo on 09/05/18 at 6:21 pm

Interbellum Generation ... They were born between World War I and the mid- 1920s, coming of age during the Great Depression.

Written By: #Infinity on 09/05/18 at 6:25 pm

My dad is 100% Generation Jones. He was born in 1960 and grew up overwhelmingly with lyrical rock music from the mid-1970s, with the late part of the decade also factoring in. He was absolutely not interested in MTV, yet at the same time, he's not at all a '60s hippie, either. He far prefers Blood on the Tracks over Dylan's mid-60s albums.

My mom was born in 1961, but while she's also Generation Jones, she seems a bit more influenced by early Generation X, as she was a big fan of '80s artists like Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, and Madonna and was at the forefront of the aerobics craze of the decade, having been a fitness instructor since around the time Jane Fonda became known for her workout tapes, in fact actually slightly before.

Written By: meesa on 09/05/18 at 7:14 pm

Boomers, father was '49 and mother was '51.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/05/18 at 7:23 pm

My dad is 100% Generation Jones. He was born in 1960 and grew up overwhelmingly with lyrical rock music from the mid-1970s, with the late part of the decade also factoring in. He was absolutely not interested in MTV, yet at the same time, he's not at all a '60s hippie, either. He far prefers Blood on the Tracks over Dylan's mid-60s albums.

My mom was born in 1961, but while she's also Generation Jones, she seems a bit more influenced by early Generation X, as she was a big fan of '80s artists like Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, and Madonna and was at the forefront of the aerobics craze of the decade, having been a fitness instructor since around the time Jane Fonda became known for her workout tapes, in fact actually slightly before.

Do your parents call themselves late boomers or do they like the Gen Jones thing more?

Written By: nally on 09/05/18 at 10:15 pm

I guess both my parents would be part of the Boomers generation, as they were born in '51 and '53. :)

Written By: #Infinity on 09/06/18 at 12:42 am

Do your parents call themselves late boomers or do they like the Gen Jones thing more?

I'm not sure, they don't seem to really latch on to generational titles, but I just personally think Gen Jones is appropriate because it's distinguished from the stereotypes associated with the counterculture crew.

Written By: Alexander1956 on 09/06/18 at 2:42 pm

Dad was born in 1922 and mom in 1932.

Written By: Howard on 09/06/18 at 3:08 pm

My Parents were born during the time when Doo-wop music was all the rage.

Written By: xenzue on 09/06/18 at 10:57 pm

My parents are both Gen X. My mom is so stereotypically Gen X, she grew up as latch-key kid and would later see her parents get divorced in the 80s. Loved house music/new jack swing in the early 90s. She used to dress like Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/07/18 at 8:50 am

My Mum was born in 1964 (Baby Boomer, but she considers herself to be Gen X) and my Dad was born in 1967 (Gen X).

I have an uncle born in 1964. He didn't even know that he was a Baby Boomer until I told him that the Baby Boomer generation lasted from 1946 to 1964 four years ago.

Written By: DellFan99 on 09/07/18 at 2:24 pm

Both of my parents are Baby Boomers since my dad was born in 1958, while my mom was born in 1963.

Written By: Longaotian00 on 09/07/18 at 2:49 pm

Both were born 1965 so im guessing X.

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/07/18 at 3:55 pm

My parents are both Gen X. My mom is so stereotypically Gen X, she grew up as latch-key kid and would later see her parents get divorced in the 80s. Loved house music/new jack swing in the early 90s. She used to dress like Mariah Carey and Janet Jackson.

If you don't mind me asking, what is your ethnicity?

Written By: xenzue on 09/07/18 at 10:09 pm

If you don't mind me asking, what is your ethnicity?

I'm brown (mixed race) and both of my parents are from South America, hby?

Written By: TheReignMan99 on 09/08/18 at 9:38 am

I'm brown (mixed race) and both of my parents are from South America, hby?

I'm Black lol. My parents are from the Caribbean.

Written By: karen on 09/08/18 at 12:43 pm

Gen X, born 1969 and 1971

This depresses me!

My parents were born in 1940. I don't think they would know or care which "Generation" this makes them.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/18 at 2:37 pm

I'm white and we're all Jewish.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/09/18 at 4:25 pm

My dad was born in 1969 and my mom was born in 1973, so they're Gen X.  ;D

Written By: 90s Guy on 09/10/18 at 6:21 am

I'm white and we're all Jewish.

He doesn't care.
I'm Italian.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/10/18 at 9:34 am

My parents were born in 1940. I don't think they would know or care which "Generation" this makes them.

This is correct. The first generation to have a name were the Baby Boomers because it was a specific, quantifiable, countable thing. Babies born between 1946 and 1964. Period. Somebody then came up with generation X when it started to be seen that there was a distinct generation emerging post Baby Boom. And it went on from there. But nobody had bothered to name previous generations until after the Baby Boomers and Gen X, when these names started to be a thing.

For example, Millennials grew up saying/knowing "we are Millennials".  The later Gen Xers did this too, to a small degree. But nobody in my Baby Boom Generation, during it's heyday, went around saying "we are Boomers". It just wasn't done. We more identified ourselves by saying "we are something new, we are something different". And the prior generations had no name at all.

Written By: karen on 09/10/18 at 11:37 am

Honestly I don't think anyone but this current generation thinks about when generation they are. Someone at work asked what a Millennial was and looked at me like I was talking another language when I mentioned other generational names.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/10/18 at 11:53 am

Honestly I don't think anyone but this current generation thinks about when generation they are. Someone at work asked what a Millennial was and looked at me like I was talking another language when I mentioned other generational names.

Marketing people think about it too.  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 09/10/18 at 1:36 pm

This is correct. The first generation to have a name were the Baby Boomers because it was a specific, quantifiable, countable thing. Babies born between 1946 and 1964. Period. Somebody then came up with generation X when it started to be seen that there was a distinct generation emerging post Baby Boom. And it went on from there. But nobody had bothered to name previous generations until after the Baby Boomers and Gen X, when these names started to be a thing.

For example, Millennials grew up saying/knowing "we are Millennials".  The later Gen Xers did this too, to a small degree. But nobody in my Baby Boom Generation, during it's heyday, went around saying "we are Boomers". It just wasn't done. We more identified ourselves by saying "we are something new, we are something different". And the prior generations had no name at all.

To be fair to us, it's not as if we came up with the term "millennial", or even as if the term has any cohesion, or even as if many "Millennials" themselves even identify with the moniker.  :-X

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/10/18 at 1:57 pm

To be fair to us, it's not as if we came up with the term "millennial", or even as if the term has any cohesion, or even as if many "Millennials" themselves even identify with the moniker.  :-X

Agreed. But Millennials were the first full generation to grow up knowing that there was "a name bestowed upon them", so to speak (even if it started as the tentative placeholder "Generation Y"), regardless of what they thought of it, or how meaningful or meaningless it may be. And they also knew that these previous generations, Generation X and Baby Boomers, also now had a name. Whereas during the Baby Boomer generation the name, originally meant to be purely descriptive--1946 to 1964---hadn't really solidified into a "thing" yet, and similar with "Generation X".

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/10/18 at 3:26 pm

Here's something fun I learned, about late boomers' disconnect with older ones.

So apparently Boomers were always defined as 1946-1964, period. But during the 80s, the media unfortunately began shaping the image of boomers as "The teens of the 60s!" or "The Woodstock generation" which would of course mostly exclude those born after 1956. This disenfranchised younger boomers like the 1961 born Doug Coupland who were not old enough to be hippie teens, which is where the Gen X term came into play. Coupland originally defined Gen X as Late-Wave Boomers born in the late 50s and early 60s.

Later though, the media, going moreso by birth rates, adjusted Gen X to the more popular 1965-1981 once again making late 50s-early 60s borns men without a country. All this could've been avoided if the media just characterized boomers as teens of the 60s *and* 70s more often instead of just focusing on the 60s teens!

Happy birthday!  :)

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/10/18 at 3:27 pm

Thanks man.

You're welcome.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/10/18 at 3:27 pm

Here's something fun I learned, about late boomers' disconnect with older ones.

So apparently Boomers were always defined as 1946-1964, period. But during the 80s, the media unfortunately began shaping the image of boomers as "The teens of the 60s!" or "The Woodstock generation" which would of course mostly exclude those born after 1956. This disenfranchised younger boomers like the 1961 born Doug Coupland who were not old enough to be hippie teens, which is where the Gen X term came into play. Coupland originally defined Gen X as Late-Wave Boomers born in the late 50s and early 60s.

Later though, the media, going moreso by birth rates, adjusted Gen X to the more popular 1965-1981 once again making late 50s-early 60s borns men without a country. All this could've been avoided if the media just characterized boomers as teens of the 60s *and* 70s more often instead of just focusing on the 60s teens!

Makes sense.

Written By: Zelek3 on 09/10/18 at 3:34 pm

Continuing from my previous post, they eventually came up with another name for the late 50s-early 60s cohort, Gen Jones, as in "keeping up with the Joneses". But most of us know this already.

Written By: 90s Guy on 09/11/18 at 9:56 am

You might not have went around saying "We are boomers" but you flaunted your differences from the previous generation in different ways. In fact one thing notable about your generation is that they made it their mission to be different and reshape r society around their mores and sense of fashion and other sensibilities.

Your generation purposefully turned every established facet of society on its head, and your ways are what is mainstream.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/11/18 at 10:38 am

You might not have went around saying "We are boomers" but you flaunted your differences from the previous generation in different ways. In fact one thing notable about your generation is that they made it their mission to be different and reshape r society around their mores and sense of fashion and other sensibilities.

Your generation purposefully turned every established facet of society on its head, and your ways are what is mainstream.

One of my favorite Jefferson Airplane lyrics from 1967 is "we're doing things that haven't got a name yet". Things were constantly being created that were new, original and different in music, the arts and elsewhere. Many of these things that were considered weird or strange by the "establishment" of the time have now become mainstream.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/26/18 at 10:13 am

http://www.get-emoji.com/images/emoji/1f914.png

Hmmm, I find it interesting how when it's a discussion about the Silent Generation, Baby Boomers, and Gen X now we're all totally okay with it.

Anyways, my dad is 1966 and my mom is 1968, so they're Gen X.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/26/18 at 10:14 am

So is Afro-Caribbean the best way to describe you?

Check for new replies or respond here...