inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Which period has the worst music? (POLL)

Written By: duenas8 on 09/09/18 at 2:23 am

Late 90s.. Barbie girl, cheesy dance music, teen bands, etc.

2nd: Late 00s

Subject: Re: Which period has the worst music? (POLL)

Written By: wixness on 09/09/18 at 5:11 am

I'd vote mid-2010s but there isn't really an option here. I guess I'll go with early 2010s since that's when it all started.

Written By: Dundee on 09/09/18 at 7:39 am

Voted early 90s (1990-92) since they're my least favorite period for mainstream music as I find the Dance-Pop, Pop Rap, Hip House and New Jack Swing of back then really watered down and uninteresting, and having that "cheesy-retro" factor but in an embarassing way, while late 80s remnants which I don't like (Glam Metal and Adult Contemprary) were still very prelevant.

The mid-90s (93-96) were vastly superior tho.

Written By: Rainbowz on 09/09/18 at 4:24 pm

I just voted early 90's. I don't think it was the worst but it's my least favorite out of all the options.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 09/09/18 at 7:51 pm

Late 2010s.

Written By: violet_shy on 09/09/18 at 8:15 pm

No...

Voted early 90s (1990-92) since they're my least favorite period for mainstream music as I find the Dance-Pop, Pop Rap, Hip House and New Jack Swing of back then really watered down and uninteresting, and having that "cheesy-retro" factor but in an embarassing way, while late 80s remnants which I don't like (Glam Metal and Adult Contemprary) were still very prelevant.

The mid-90s (93-96) were vastly superior tho.

NOOO...

I just voted early 90's. I don't think it was the worst but it's my least favorite out of all the options.

Aaaa!! What is wrong with all of you!... this is really sad ;D but I'm laughing!

Written By: bchris02 on 09/10/18 at 10:49 pm

Mid 2010s.  Early '10s had great music and then it started getting better again in '17.  2013-16 was the worst era for music in my lifetime.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/18 at 1:18 am

Late 2010s

I cannot listen to the radio playing modern pop music.

Written By: 90s Guy on 09/11/18 at 9:58 am

Early 2000s & late 2010s.

Written By: Dundee on 09/11/18 at 11:39 am

No...

NOOO...

Aaaa!! What is wrong with all of you!... this is really sad ;D but I'm laughing!
What? I presented Arguments in why I picked my choice, while you're screaming at me with zero given reason. Then you dare to ask what is wrong with me...

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/12/18 at 9:21 pm

I voted "early 2010's".

2010 and 2011 were probably the most idiotic years of music in this decade; a lot of the songs (not all) made during those years were stupid and got dated very fast (probably not a popular opinion on here).

Written By: violet_shy on 09/13/18 at 5:31 am

What? I presented Arguments in why I picked my choice, while you're screaming at me with zero given reason. Then you dare to ask what is wrong with me...

It was clear I was just being silly. Don't be so uptight life is too short. I had no intention of starting trouble with any of you. I have better things to do.

Subject: Which period has the worst music? (POLL)

Written By: Dude111 on 09/13/18 at 7:18 pm

Late 80s on...................

Written By: xenzue on 09/16/18 at 10:54 pm

I actually really like the early 90s, but my favorite 90s era is probably the mid 90s.

The worst era for me has to be the early 2010s. There is a lot of gold, but in general the music of that era wasn't too good. I really hated millennial/hipster indie folk and dubstep.

Written By: annimal on 09/16/18 at 11:04 pm

2nd: Late 00s

lost my hearing so don't know how bad 200's got ( maybe a blessing) but boy did Barbie Girl make me want to throw up

Written By: Emman on 09/17/18 at 12:36 am

Definitely late 2010s, terrible 3rd tier southern influenced rap and bland, derivative pop. There's no new exciting trends in music at all.

Written By: Knew Wave on 09/19/18 at 10:18 pm

I vote for the current era. For the first time in my life, I can't name ten songs in the Top Forty pop chart. I'm also absolutely clueless about country and urban now. I know that this is a cliche for us Generation X "geezers", but music all sounds alike now. They don't have melodies that you can easily remember. Most genres are a pale shadow of what they were in the past, and it's a relief to know that many college and high school kids say the same thing. Even alternative rock, which I regularly listened to until 2018, doesn't appeal to me. I'm so happy that I was around to appreciate good new music that you didn't have to search for all over the place. 

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/20/18 at 12:04 pm

https://assets.atlasobscura.com/article_images/22675/image.jpg

Written By: Dundee on 09/20/18 at 2:23 pm

https://assets.atlasobscura.com/article_images/22675/image.jpg

https://media.giphy.com/media/CcJ5jXD1B1p96/giphy.gif

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/20/18 at 2:30 pm

https://media.giphy.com/media/CcJ5jXD1B1p96/giphy.gif

I was just being funny.

Written By: Dundee on 09/20/18 at 3:14 pm

I was just being funny.

I was just forgetting to laugh at it.

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/20/18 at 3:18 pm

I was just forgetting to laugh at it.

I was just being silly

Written By: Dundee on 09/20/18 at 4:19 pm

I was just being silly

I wouldn't doubt that fact

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/20/18 at 4:34 pm

I wouldn't doubt that fact

Hath I offended thee?

Written By: mqg96 on 09/26/18 at 10:44 am

It's SO EASY to pick the latest time period (or the current period) as the worst for music because your nostalgia goggles will be focused on "missing the past" so much. Let's be realistic here, the mid 2000's was really bad, the crunk/emo/rock era combined with the mediocre ringtone/snap rap era. It was so bad with underrated and underappreciated artists with hardly an identity, while artists that originally came up in the 90's or early 2000's had to pick up the slack with some big hits here in there. It was so bad. I say 2005-2008 was the worst period for music in modern era right now with 2007 being that only good year in the stretch.

The mid 2010's were mediocre too, it's funny because I believe 2014 was the only good year of the mid 2010's yet a lot of people hated that year which tells you a lot, 2015 didn't get good until the late part of the year but for most of the year it was still pretty bland (& overrated), and 2016 was downright horrible, probably the worst year for music since I've kept up with it on a regular basis.

2017 and 2018 have been so much better but even those years won't hold up to the early 2010's which were epic, I mean 2010 for music was epic, 2011 was good, 2012 sucked but still had a lot more high quality hits compared to 2016, and 2013 was great too (although I wish I appreciated it better as it went on).

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/26/18 at 10:45 am

Time periods don't exist with music. It's either good or it sucks.

Written By: Dundee on 09/26/18 at 11:12 am

It's SO EASY to pick the latest time period (or the current period) as the worst for music because your nostalgia goggles will be focused on "missing the past" so much. Let's be realistic here, the mid 2000's was really bad, the crunk/emo/rock era combined with the mediocre ringtone/snap rap era. It was so bad with underrated and underappreciated artists with hardly an identity, while artists that originally came up in the 90's or early 2000's had to pick up the slack with some big hits here in there. It was so bad. I say 2005-2008 was the worst period for music in modern era right now with 2007 being that only good year in the stretch.

That's an American-centric view, because in Europe the mid-2000s were basically at early-2000s' level, which means great!

Also Crunk is a banger-heavy genre you heathen. Also can we stop with this "there-was-nothing-but-snap-in-mid-2000s" bullsheesh. The biggest Hip Hop hits weren't even snap in the US, let alone the fact that Snap didn't export for the most part in the world. The mid-2000s were also fantastic for Indie and defining for the alt. Hip Hop scene which is agreeably the best and most interesting movement in Hip Hop.

I don't mind Emo, I think it's the exact same level of whininess as late 90s/early 2000s Post-Grunge and Nu Metal while being way better musically than both (let's face it, it's just whiney Pop Punk but still Pop Punk). People really should start separating the music from the cringey Hot Topic teens they associate with it.

I also disagree with your view on 2014, because it was BY FAR the lamest, cringe-inducing and most insufferable year of 2010s. I much prefer 2016's complete blandess to how incredibly in-your-face-annoying a lot of 2014 hits were.

And 2015 was great as soon as the 2014 leftovers went away until its last day 8). I agree that the late-2010s are definitely underrated on here, I do like its mainstream music for the most part with 2017 being a bit more hit-and-miss, while 2018 had a fantastic streak from approximately February until end July, and since August it's more meh.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/26/18 at 11:23 am

That's an American-centric view, because in Europe the mid-2000s were basically at early-2000s' level, which means great!

Also Crunk is a banger-heavy genre you heathen. Also can we stop with this "there-was-nothing-but-snap-in-mid-2000s" bullsheesh. The biggest Hip Hop hits weren't even snap in the US, let alone the fact that Snap didn't export for the most part in the world. The mid-2000s were also fantastic for Indie and defining for the alt. Hip Hop scene.

I also disagree with your view on 2014, because it was BY FAR the lamest and most insufferable year of 2010s. I much prefer 2016's complete blandess to how incredibly in-your-face-annoying a lot of 2014 hits were.

And 2015 was great as soon as the 2014 leftovers went away until its last day 8)

Like I said before, the second half of 2015 was good, but the first half wasn't all that, and again, this is why I said the mid 2010's was mediocre because 2014 was bad (according to those who have been on this site since last year) and 2016 was horrendous in every single way. Sorry, but indie, alt, and underground music don't count, you'll always find good indie and alt in many years, we're talking about songs that were very mainstream most of the part, and in that case the mid 2000's was really bad (well 2005 & 2006 specifically) 2007 was good, but 2008 was bad. 2009 was amazing and a great start to the electropop era of music and good hip hop songs too. I'll give you the R&B songs from the mid 2000's, those were underrated.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/26/18 at 11:26 am

I agree that the late-2010s are definitely underrated on here, I do like its mainstream music for the most part with 2017 being a bit more hit-and-miss, while 2018 had a fantastic streak from approximately February until end July, and since August it's more meh.

There have been a lot of new artists who have came up during this time, or ones that started earlier this decade who have peaked, and people are going to love the late 2010's by next decade, trust me on that one.

Written By: Dundee on 09/26/18 at 11:39 am

Like I said before, the second half of 2015 was good, but the first half wasn't all that, and again, this is why I said the mid 2010's was mediocre because 2014 was bad (according to those who have been on this site since last year) and 2016 was horrendous in every single way. Sorry, but indie, alt, and underground music don't count, you'll always find good indie and alt in many years, we're talking about songs that were very mainstream most of the part, and in that case the mid 2000's was really bad (well 2005 & 2006 specifically) 2007 was good, but 2008 was bad. 2009 was amazing and a great start to the electropop era of music and good hip hop songs too. I'll give you the R&B songs from the mid 2000's, those were underrated.

Alt. Hip Hop was pretty mainstream, think Kanye West, M.I.A. or Gorillaz.

I honestly don't understand the love for 2009. I think it's by far the weakest year for mainstream when it comes to the 2000s, that year was just filled with pretty annoying Electro-R&B with the ugliest autotune usages and arrangements of any year ever, with the Black-Eyed Peas onslaught being the epitome of that. Just because we moved away from that style, doesn't make it great.
2008's Pop and R&B are easily better than 2009's ones, and 2010 was generally a much better year too when the R&B dominance completely went away.

And yeah mid-2000s' R&B was great and another reason to love it.

Check for new replies or respond here...