inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What periods in U.S. History would you time travel to?

Written By: 90s Guy on 09/15/18 at 11:11 pm

Regardless of racial or social considerations, what are time periods in American history you'd time travel to if you could?

Myself:
-Philadelphia Convention - seeing the burn of my country and meeting some of the terrific minds of that age

-Civil War battle - getting to see one firsthand if possible and meeting both Union and Confederate soldiers and hearing their personal reasons for joining.

-Lincoln's assassination: Seeing it all unfold, the manhunt for the assassins, the trial

-The 1893 World's Fair - all the glimpses of the future on display

-1984 - getting a chance to experience 80s culture, meeting my parents when they were just 30 years old, seeing all the great movies of 84 in theaters

1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, and 1998- probably would love to revisit all these years as an adult

Subject: Re: What periods in U.S. History would you time travel to?

Written By: Howard on 09/16/18 at 2:30 pm

I would love to travel to The Victorian Era (1837-1901).

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/18 at 3:38 pm

I would love to travel to The Victorian Era (1837-1901).
The Victorian Era is associated more with the UK, not the USA.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 09/16/18 at 4:10 pm

Back to the 80s.

And if I could go back and turn White--the 1920s-30s to experience the bulk of my favorite films when they first came out.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/17/18 at 5:26 am

The Victorian Era is associated more with the UK, not the USA.

Can I still travel in time?

Written By: Howard on 09/17/18 at 5:27 am

Back to the 80s.

And if I could go back and turn White--the 1920s-30s to experience the bulk of my favorite films when they first came out.  ;D

I would love to travel back to The 80's too.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/17/18 at 8:17 am

I'd probably do the Eisenhower years as my first choice (1953-1960). It was relatively safe from crime and while the greatest threat were the "commies", it was a time when progress was important and a lot of the future had this utopian "save the world" feel to it. WWII was far enough in the past that it was just a memory, and it was an interesting transition. Television was to then to what the smartphone was to this decade with a lot of creative usage, including numerous local programs that were uniquely presented and never again. Enough technology, including air travel, nice automobiles with cheap gasoline along with the first interstate highways, Polaroid cameras along with early "silent" movie cameras would make me enjoy life like my late grandparents were around my current age. I have a lot of Italian-Polish ancestry, and I hear the culture for those was a lot stronger then (Sinatra, polkas, ethnic Little Italies with street festivals). Finally, it would also be cool to have all those silver coins in change and perhaps "hunting" for old coins like Indian Head nickels, "V" and Buffalo nickels, Barber coinage, along with Morgan/Peace silver dollars which were still fairly common in circulation at the time.

Second place would probably be the 1850s. This was right when railroad travel had started to become popular in the northeast quarter of the country, while a visit to the South would show the bitter divisions between free and slave as well as an agricultural-based economy. Meanwhile, the west was just starting to get settled, and that meant a lot of expensive adventuring. It would probably take too long for me to venture much west of the Mississippi due to time and Indian threats, but it would neat to see many cities that look more historic than many European ones do today. It would also make me better at learning basic skills like sewing, cooking, and understanding logic patterns without the aid of technology.

Written By: wixness on 09/17/18 at 8:58 am

1776 just to see it be founded. Aside from that, back in time to prevent Reagan from getting in and 1997 or 1998 to prevent the DMCA from being passed. I'd travel to any time because the US looks interesting from an historical perspective, but I'm not white and I have personal issues which would be at odds with some American norms.

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/17/18 at 10:51 pm

Tough choice, considering I'm interested in pretty much any period in history before my birth.

I'd like to see the turn of the 20th century (1890s to 1910s). That was an exciting time for Americans because they were beginning to form their own national identity.

Then the periods from the 1920s to 1940s would be fascinating because of its boom-to-bust-to-war thing going on.

The period right before the Civil War (1840s and '50s) because there was a lot of political upheaval going on because of slavery.

And, finally, Salem, Massachusetts circa 1692 to '93 to witness the witch trials in order to satisfy my morbid curiosity.  ::)

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/18/18 at 11:50 am

I have many choices:

September 1787: I get to see the Constitution created, signed, and presented.

The early 19th century: I always wanted to go on a steamboat (they were invented by Robert Fulton in 1807)

November 14, 1889: I get to witness and ptobably be part of Nellie Bly's journey around the world (this probably can be kind of scary too)

December 17, 1903: I get to witness the Wright Brothers and the first flight.

The 1980's and early to mid 90's: I like the pop culture of this time period.

2006-2007: I kind of wish I were able to see how the world was like when I was 7/8 through the eyes of a 19 year old.

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/18/18 at 3:04 pm

I've been to the Mesozoic, the last ice age, and 1984 thru 89.  By far, my favorite was Mesozoic.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 09/18/18 at 4:52 pm

1885- I'd like to see what the Victorian era was like for inner cities. I would also want to travel to the Southwest and experience the wild west.

Anytime in the 1920's-I would totally go to a party to see if the roaring 20's live up to their name.

The 1950's or 60's- It would be interesting to see what America as like during its so called "golden age"(also to buy old comic books and make thousands from selling them)

1999-To experience the hype for the year 2000 and also to learn more about people's worries with Y2K.(I also personally find the late 90's to be the most interesting part of the 90's)

2001-To see what the world was like when I was born and to witness people's initial reaction to 9/11.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/18 at 7:18 am

1885- I'd like to see what the Victorian era was like for inner cities. I would also want to travel to the Southwest and experience the wild west.

Anytime in the 1920's-I would totally go to a party to see if the roaring 20's live up to their name.

The 1950's or 60's- It would be interesting to see what America as like during its so called "golden age"(also to buy old comic books and make thousands from selling them)

1999-To experience the hype for the year 2000 and also to learn more about people's worries with Y2K.(I also personally find the late 90's to be the most interesting part of the 90's)

2001-To see what the world was like when I was born and to witness people's initial reaction to 9/11.

I would like to join you in this time travel.

Written By: Knew Wave on 09/19/18 at 10:28 pm

I first would go back to the 1700s. I would ask the Founding Fathers if our reality met their hopes and dreams. I then would travel to the end of the Civil War. I would ask General Lee if he surrendered to save lives. Next, I would set the time machine to "the Roaring Twenties" since I'm a big fan of gangster movies. I'd see what life was like when Al Capone and Bugs Moran fought for control of the Windy City. Then, I'd go to 1984 when my family was together. There, I would stay. 

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/19/18 at 11:13 pm

This might not be the popular opinion, but I'm pretty content with the timeframe I was born/lived.

The one thing that might be fun is to go back to the mid-60s as a late teen, to experience the advent of the Beatles at an age older than four.  And then proceed to the Woodstock era and experience that as someone older than 9...  ;)

The historical visit possibilities sound pretty interesting, though.  It would be interesting to witness the President Lincoln era, especially after visiting the amazing Lincoln library...

Written By: Howard on 09/20/18 at 7:31 am

I would love to travel back to 1979 and see if I can get into Studio 54, Would I need an I.D.?

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/20/18 at 12:00 pm

I would love to travel back to 1979 and see if I can get into Studio 54, Would I need an I.D.?

You'd need more than that.  It closed in 1978.  ;D

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/20/18 at 1:02 pm

The 2000s. I'm serious.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/18 at 1:50 pm

You'd need more than that.  It closed in 1978.  ;D

WRONG! It closed in February 1980

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/20/18 at 1:51 pm

Receipts??  I was there when it closed.

Written By: Dundee on 09/20/18 at 4:21 pm

Was there a reason to why it closed? ???

Written By: Howard on 09/21/18 at 8:25 am

Was there a reason to why it closed? ???

This got the attention of the IRS. Shortly thereafter the nightclub was raided and Rubell and Schrager were arrested for skimming $2.5 million. Studio 54 closed with a final party in February 1980 when Diana Ross personally serenaded Rubell and Schrager.

Plus there was way too much sex going on in there.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 09/21/18 at 8:36 am

Receipts??  I was there when it closed.

You were like 2 if you're a mortal.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 09/21/18 at 10:16 pm

I was 19 in 1979.  If I'd been in NYC (I was nowhere near there) I wouldn't have gotten in, either - it was typical for those clubs to have a minimum age of 25.  I wouldn't have wanted to go there - as long as I had a place to go dancing for free (which there was plenty of on university campus) I didn't need to go to an expensive club to dance, plus I strongly preferred interacting with guys around my own age.  ;)

Written By: meesa on 09/22/18 at 1:41 am

Roanoke Island 1588, 1589
October 13 1903 Boston
Times Square, NYC August 14 1945

Written By: exodus08 on 09/22/18 at 2:18 am

1600's Salem, Massachusetts  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/22/18 at 4:10 pm

I was 19 in 1979.  If I'd been in NYC (I was nowhere near there) I wouldn't have gotten in, either - it was typical for those clubs to have a minimum age of 25.  I wouldn't have wanted to go there - as long as I had a place to go dancing for free (which there was plenty of on university campus) I didn't need to go to an expensive club to dance, plus I strongly preferred interacting with guys around my own age.  ;)

But what if some guy had brought you to those secret rooms to do something other than to dance? you know, (*"wink wink"*) ;D

Written By: wsmith4 on 10/02/18 at 9:02 am

I have been back to 1988 a few times. It was hot then. 

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 10/03/18 at 8:20 am

1989-1992.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/03/18 at 9:24 am

1600's Salem, Massachusetts  ;D
So you can attend the Witch Trials?

Written By: exodus08 on 10/03/18 at 12:42 pm

So you can attend the Witch Trials?

Yep  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/03/18 at 12:45 pm

Yep  ;)
I'm still waiting for a good film on that subject to be on television.

Written By: exodus08 on 10/03/18 at 1:29 pm

I'm still waiting for a good film on that subject to be on television.

So true. Most films aren't really good when it comes to the Witch Trails.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/03/18 at 1:32 pm

So true. Most films aren't really good when it comes to the Witch Trails.
O0

I am not watching anything on YouTube, and it is the same for Lizzie Borden, she came from Massachusetts as well.

Written By: Howard on 10/03/18 at 3:06 pm

O0

I am not watching anything on YouTube, and it is the same for Lizzie Borden, she came from Massachusetts as well.

I would like to travel back to The Lizzie Borden era.

Subject: What periods in U.S. History would you time travel to?

Written By: Dude111 on 10/04/18 at 11:57 pm

Ahhhhh i love this thread!!

I would travel to 1979 and get 100s of dollars worth of Golden Grain macaroni and chedder,plain m&ms,etc.......

Ahhhhhhhh!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...