inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If You Could Remove

Written By: Knew Wave on 09/23/18 at 7:57 pm

If you could remove an event(s) and a fad from each decade, what would they be? An event (for the sake of this thread) is something in the news that impacts society, and it could be a series of events that share the same theme. A fad is just a much less serious trend. I hope this makes sense.

'50s: racial segregation, cat glasses
'60s: involvement in the Vietnam War, shoeless hippies
'70s: Watergate, tacky fashion
'80s: admiration of materialism, big hair
'90s: gang culture, boy bands saturating airwaves
'00s: start of endless wars, hipsters
'10s: Big Brother, SJW imbeciles

Subject: Re: If You Could Remove

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/23/18 at 8:09 pm

Shoeless hippies? Are we differentiating between hippies that wore footwear and those that didn't? Are you considering hippies the fad or shoelessness?  Do we have to remove the event AND the fad from the decade or can we pick and choose?
??? 

Written By: Knew Wave on 09/23/18 at 9:31 pm

Shoeless hippies? Are we differentiating between hippies that wore footwear and those that didn't? Are you considering hippies the fad or shoelessness?  Do we have to remove the event AND the fad from the decade or can we pick and choose?
???

I'm cool with shoed hippies. I'm not a big fan of yippies, but that's neither her nor there. Yeah, I couldn't include all hippies because they're to the '60s (in pop culture, at least) what greasers are to the '50s. I just prefer my hippies to be shoed.  ;) I can say that for most groups. As far as rules about picking and choosing events and fads are concerned, do what you want, brother. I'm not a thread fascist.  8) Feel free to type whatever comes to mind.

Written By: Howard on 09/24/18 at 5:36 am

If you could remove an event(s) and a fad from each decade, what would they be? An event (for the sake of this thread) is something in the news that impacts society, and it could be a series of events that share the same theme. A fad is just a much less serious trend. I hope this makes sense.

'50s: racial segregation, cat glasses
'60s: involvement in the Vietnam War, shoeless hippies
'70s: Watergate, tacky fashion
'80s: admiration of materialism, big hair
'90s: gang culture, boy bands saturating airwaves
'00s: start of endless wars, hipsters
'10s: Big Brother, SJW imbeciles

I think I would remove this one, endless wars were unnecessary and stupid at that time, it shouldn't have happened.

Written By: Knew Wave on 09/24/18 at 6:44 pm

I think I would remove this one, endless wars were unnecessary and stupid at that time, it shouldn't have happened.

We've been in Afghanistan longer than we were in World War II. It seems like it has no end in sight.

Check for new replies or respond here...